Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...

Go down 
+13
Caramell
torrentialAberration
bsb23
fr0stbyte124
TinkerPox
Iv121
Tiel+
Keon
The Schmetterling
ACH0225
hyperlite
Last_Jedi_Standing
Buggy1997123
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 am

Keon wrote:
Lord Tiel wrote:
I thought topology was mountains and terrain!?

That's topography, if I remember right.

That is worth 80% of a signature.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Thought about the cylinder shape and began to think of what would happen at the edges, I would assume we would just not be able to travel them so what if instead of cylinders we use a torus shaped world then there are no edges
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 pm

A torus can't be deformed into a sphere, though. If we were doing odd shapes the easiest would be either a flat disk or a ringworld.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:01 am

What will the edges do? I mean they can't just stop can they?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:02 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
A torus can't be deformed into a sphere, though. If we were doing odd shapes the easiest would be either a flat disk or a ringworld.

As I see it, if we use a cylinder, then we still have the problems of a sphere, but with edges to deal with as well. And well all know that edges are bad, as they will produce odd terrain and gravity.

Fr0stbyte, can't we just have flat worlds that wrap to form a cube from space?

If there are problems with left over areas on the flat-world, then make the world in the shape of a cube's net. Then a player can simply walk off one side and appear on the other, as it would be on a sphere, but it is actually flat and folds into a cube!!!

Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:11 am

Can't you just make it so that it looks like a sphere from space but is flat when you come close?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:00 am

Daynel wrote:
Can't you just make it so that it looks like a sphere from space but is flat when you come close?

Does a flat surface wrap into a sphere?
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 am

Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to make an optical illusion, so that it looks like a sphere but is actually flat?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 am

Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to make an optical illusion, so that it looks like a sphere but is actually flat?

Yes, but then we would have weird stretching of the world.

Random partially relevant image:

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Tumblr_lcmll9fjT61qevj5ho1_1280

Last edited by Mackeroth? on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 am

Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:

Weird like in "that-looks-pretty-strange" kind of weird or just "that's-got-to-be-some-kind-of-optical-illusion" kind of weird?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:03 am

Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:

Weird like in "that-looks-pretty-strange" kind of weird or just "that's-got-to-be-some-kind-of-optical-illusion" kind of weird?

Weird as in acid-shader weird. I would provide a video, but your internet isn't working fast enough to download it.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 am

_ wrote:
Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:
Daynel wrote:

Weird as in acid-shader weird. I would provide a video, but your internet isn't working fast enough to download it.
Well, as long as it isn't "please-that's-too-weird-to-look-at" weird, it's ok for me.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:02 pm

The problem with deforming to a cube is that you can't mask the 90 degree edges of a cube. There would be a major overlap of the ground underneath the surface, and gravity is still going to be confusing.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Quick question, if I make it to the core of the world, not dieing of course, will I just float? In terms of the mod of course.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 3:15 am

Well since it's not really a spherical model, there's not going to be a central core. The bottom of the map is going to take up just as much surface area as the the top will. Also, it will probably be a giant pool of lava or something like that, with bedrock below the lava. Deep, deep down, of course.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
The problem with deforming to a cube is that you can't mask the 90 degree edges of a cube. There would be a major overlap of the ground underneath the surface, and gravity is still going to be confusing.

We wouldn't have an overlap as the actual planet would be flat, and the space-render would be a cube. Instead, we would have gaps along the edges of all the faces as unless we can make the edges of each face generate flat, there will be mountains, etc. that will form sheer cliffs from space.

I reckon that we should just have flat planets and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 2:43 pm

I say square.

OFFTOPIC WARNING!

Last post in every area! Aww yeah.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Nope.

Make planets spheres.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:58 am

Nope, all planets are now ringworlds. Bedrock is now the outer hull.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:13 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Sounds good to me, and sometimes the Forerunners visit maybe?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 am

Yeah, and the worlds are superweapons.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 pm

and rammstein.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:03 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

That is a good idea, but doesn't make much sense.

However: the curvature would be easier, the rectangular planet itself wouldn't have to be stretched to fit onto a sphere, and we don't have to worry about overlapping chunks as much.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:00 pm

I vote all planets are shaped like donuts, it would no edges and you can easily wrap a rectangle into that shape without any poles. Plus we would be completely original.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Planets should be shaped like this:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next