Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...

Go down 
+13
Caramell
torrentialAberration
bsb23
fr0stbyte124
TinkerPox
Iv121
Tiel+
Keon
The Schmetterling
ACH0225
hyperlite
Last_Jedi_Standing
Buggy1997123
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Empty
PostSubject: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 9:45 pm

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... BUhvI
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 10:12 pm

...?
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I am with team sphere. WHO's WITH ME?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Not me!

But seriously, sure its a little bugged right now but its in beta, give it some time.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

I think we should go with a dodecahedron.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:21 am

It wouldn't really be a cube, but 6 square based pyramids with their tops removed (we don't need to render the planet's core). This allows us to extend on the corners without physics breaking.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... BUhvI

GravityCraft or whatever that mod is? I remember trying to make good egg galaxy. Was funny, as I used minecarts for launch stars. But if you played it in a texturepack with minecarts and minerails and endstone invisible, it looked okay.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 am

Mackeroth? wrote:
It wouldn't really be a cube, but 6 square based pyramids with their tops removed (we don't need to render the planet's core). This allows us to extend on the corners without physics breaking.
I don't understand, could you elaborate on this idea please?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:

I don't see what the problem with understanding that is. We have a 6 stepped pyramids where is "step" is a 16x16 chunk, with special edge chucks for the otherwise weird boundary zone Perhaps Fr0stbyte could explain it better
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 am

Mackeroth? wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:

I don't see what the problem with understanding that is. We have a 6 stepped pyramids where is "step" is a 16x16 chunk, with special edge chucks for the otherwise weird boundary zone Perhaps Fr0stbyte could explain it better

Maybe it's just because I've been up all night but that makes no sense.

Does anyone mind if I draw a dong stuck in a head and have macro font saying 'Mindfuck'? Because, well. Uh. Ignore everything I just said. Mind no work right.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 am

I'm voting for plane planets. Just think about how complicated will be to rotate all entities and blocks on a round planet , and the size of the planet will be so small. I say to create some sort of a portal block around a round planet. When triggered a loading screen appears that takes you to the planet's atmosphere. It will allow us to make more realistic planets that won't sacrifice fun while being totally possible.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Yes Iv, but frostbyte really wants to make it seamless, no load screen. Go look at his devlog, I put this idea on there a while back.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Oh nothing goes seamless. I wanna see how he makes a seamless transition between a round planet and a plane space... Or a cube planet and the plane space (The gravity inverts all of a sudden Shocked ) . No matter what people will feel when they enter the atmosphere. Besides what's wrong about a loading screen ? Just imagine how this will improve performance ... making a whole planet in the same screen will require loads of optimisation or even the best comp will crash under the weight.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm

That is just what frost wants to do.
Back to top Go down
TinkerPox
TinkerPox

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Why not just when your in space you see the planet as a sphere and on the planet it is like regular minecraft, like in "Real-life"! And the sphere just expands(as in getting closer) pretty much when entering atmosphere, and eventually lll you can see is the large plain of minecraft!
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:54 pm

What? Regular Minecraft is flat.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm

The problem with cube planets is the case of gravity at the edges and corners. While the planet is convex, gravity works intuitively. However, it gets confusing and difficult to use when you start introducing tunnels and buildings into the mix. Just give it a try in gravity craft.
The other thing was how to handle rendering of blocks near the edge, particularly which way should be considered up and what to do with the edge faces that share two ups. That's a lot of extra cases and more importantly, it can't always be generalized without knowing the nature of the block. This is not to say it's impossible, and I think we'll give it a shot before abandoning it altogether.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm

As me and tacokingbob said make it flat and add a loading screen . Satisfies all sides and gives best results Smile . It will be round and square and save you a lot of trouble.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Hm.... oh! I have a idea! Add some reason to make the edges utterly uninhabitable! Magnetic flux, radiation, gravitational flux, giant ethereal ender dragons, whatever, there just needs to be SOME reason for you to die as fast as in the void when you get near a edge. We had a similar idea for the poles of spherical planets, remember?

Or alternatively, if that doesn't work we could just have the edge have no gravity, with the gravity slowly tapering away as you get closer. This would, unfortuantly, require player physics capable of functioning in more than just right angles, and could very well require the full on implementation of a physics engine.

As for blocks, just align them to whatever direction of gravity the center of the block is, and if its exactly on the plane of gravity we can just use a default.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:18 pm

And what's about digging ? your gravicy will go crazy the deeper you go ...
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Frost, don't think of which side is up. Think of which sides are down.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Iv121 wrote:
As me and tacokingbob said make it flat and add a loading screen . Satisfies all sides and gives best results Smile . It will be round and square and save you a lot of trouble.
No. Loading screens are forbidden.

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Hm.... oh! I have a idea! Add some reason to make the edges utterly uninhabitable! Magnetic flux, radiation, gravitational flux, giant ethereal ender dragons, whatever, there just needs to be SOME reason for you to die as fast as in the void when you get near a edge. We had a similar idea for the poles of spherical planets, remember?

Or alternatively, if that doesn't work we could just have the edge have no gravity, with the gravity slowly tapering away as you get closer. This would, unfortuantly, require player physics capable of functioning in more than just right angles, and could very well require the full on implementation of a physics engine.

As for blocks, just align them to whatever direction of gravity the center of the block is, and if its exactly on the plane of gravity we can just use a default.
I would rather have spherical planets than make a part of the planet unusable, especially if that part is at the corner where people are going to want to build the most. Angled gravity is not an option, either. It would be far too inconvenient for people moving around at the edge.

Iv121 wrote:
And what's about digging ? your gravicy will go crazy the deeper you go ...
This is the problem exactly.

ACH0225 wrote:
Frost, don't think of which side is up. Think of which sides are down.
Was that an Ender's Game reference?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 4:07 pm

No. I meant that literally. It's probably easier to worry about which sides are down then up.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:13 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
No. I meant that literally. It's probably easier to worry about which sides are down then up.

The enemies gate. Duh. It's down. And if you mined to the center of the world, you would find a small building that takes 4 people to press their helmets to the corners, then one to step through. Then you win the game.

...I lost the game.

Anyway, look. Very simple process here. At ground, world is flat. At a few KM up, you seamlessly swap worlds like in a nether mod I saw, then you project a screencapture or something to a sphere.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Keon wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:

The enemies gate. Duh. It's down. And if you mined to the center of the world, you would find a small building that takes 4 people to press their helmets to the corners, then one to step through. Then you win the game.

...I lost the game.

Anyway, look. Very simple process here. At ground, world is flat. At a few KM up, you seamlessly swap worlds like in a nether mod I saw, then you project a screencapture or something to a sphere.

We then have the problem that a square surface can never project onto a sphere. Which is why it needs to be a flat planet projected onto a cube!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...   So, about that square/sphereical planet debate... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, about that square/sphereical planet debate...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next