Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Futurecraft RTS Project

Go down 
+13
MercurySteam
Julo
fr0stbyte124
Ljubljana
hyperlite
ACH0225
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Keon
Joel
Hierarch Fenway
Luna
Tiel+
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Futurecraft RTS Project Empty
PostSubject: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Hello, Tiel here.

"What's this thread?"

As you know, Vinyl recently started up a modding project for Homeworld 2, the end goal was to completely replace the game's native factions and ships with futurecraft content. However, the thread is, well, dead. I am very sure I'm not the only one that would like to see the races of FC in an RTS setting, so I have created this topic for general discussion about ideas and development. For the sake of not alienating anyone who dislikes my character, I will not be assuming project lead for this endeavor, but instead invite anyone with the appropriate organizational skills to the position. However, I've already figured out a lot of stuff and I'd very much like them to remain the way they are.

We will be creating entirely custom units with their respective textures and FX, and porting them to the Megaglest engine, a crossplatform, opensource platform for RTS games. For the sake of not usurping Vinyl should he ever revive his HW2 project, this will be a ground based strategy sim.

"But what about factions?"

Yes. That is the main reason I am creating this thread instead of just doing it discreetly on my off time. You see, this project obviously requires units modeled, which I can do, but modelling requires concept art. Concept art requires a theme. You see where this is going. I have already selected three factions to be in initially - the Strigiforme Nationalized Kingdom, the Terran Trade Confederation, and TELLrim, merely due to their respective canons making balancing something of a breeze. It is hoped that the creators of these would have a vested interest in providing concept art for units, but you can never have enough.

And yes, you're probably wondering what the point would be of helping to supply this need. Essentially, the top three contributors of designs will have their factions be implemented in the next development cycle. And the next one. Until we either run out of factions or people willing to make concept art. Also, note that 'art' here doesn't necessarily mean it has to be, say, something catsonmeth would draw. As long as it isn't a steaming pile of crap and portrays a concept effectively (as well as showing it from the side and front), it's perfectly valid. You could even make a minecraft build and screenshot it, so long as it has enough detail.

Here's what's required as far as art:

Myself wrote:

Strigiforme

Buildings

Citadel (HQ Building)

Barracks

Vehicle Storage

Tech Lab

Airpad

Wall

Hardpoint (Laser tower with wall integration)

Yttrium Processor

Units

Fabricator (Constructor)

Owl SMGer

Owl Flamer

Owl Gunnery Team

Owl Sentinel

Recon (Think small scout vehicle, like a speeder bike)

Hovertank

Guardian (Tracked vehicle with large generator on top, makes shields)

Pulsar Cannon (Like Star Wars's SPHA-T's, but hovering and owly)

A.R.S (Aerial Resource Securer)

Fighter

Gunship

Atmospheric Carrier

Tellrim

Buildings

Station Prime (HQ Building)

Armory

Air Strip

Vehicle Pool

Bunker

Drilling Rig

Fence

Units

Constructor

Rifleman

Sniper

Combat Droid

Medic

Scout (Infantry unit)

Buggy (Sorta like a Humvee)

Energy Pummel

Lancer (walker)

FOB (Forward Operating Base)

Interceptor

Dropship

Terran Trade Confederation

Buildings

Bastille (HQ Building)

Landing Pad

Hangar

Research Facility

Heavy Machine Gun Emplacement

Barricade

Extractor

Commerce Node

Units

Contractor (Constructor)

Mercenary

Mortar Team

Officer

PMC Trooper (PMC = Private Military Company. A step above the typical soldier of 'fortune')

Corporate Enforcer

Hornet (walker)

Armored Personnel Carrier

Tank

"Buzzer" Anti Aircraft Artillery

Aerial Drone

TTC Heavy Lifter (Can only lift vehicles)
Completed ones marked with checkmarks.

Here are some models I've made, if you want proof this isn't some flight of fancy:

Futurecraft RTS Project Unknow10
Futurecraft RTS Project Terrib10
Futurecraft RTS Project Gunshi12
Futurecraft RTS Project Guardi10
Futurecraft RTS Project Scout10

A bit boxy, I know, but it's a start. I'm thinking TELLrim mech, with mortar launchers to counter the TTC's mercenary hordes.
Also rather low-poly, but glest isn't picky. I figure that's around the skill level people are here, to provide a consistent level of detail.

"So what's needed right now."

First and foremost, concept art, as mentioned above. Secondly, these roles:

Organizer (will need to get a working knowledge of the megaglest engine):
Texturer:
Modeller (will need a program compatible with .md5 export script):
Level Designer (involves Glest scenario editor):
Animator (will need to have either blender or 3ds):

If you're interested in joining, just post below.

That's about it. Thanks for viewing.
Sponsored by Robotnik Industries™

Sketches:

Last edited by Comrade Tiel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Luna
Recruit
Recruit
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Few questions

One: Define, enough detail for the concept art.

Two: Do you need to be on the team to have your faction in the game/mod?

Three: Cavnin Do not use infantry and I plan to hold that rule. Either I'm out or... find a way for the vehicles to fill in all needed infantry roles (And I know it can be done)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Luna wrote:
Few questions

One: Define, enough detail for the concept art.
Futurecraft RTS Project Gi4GJ12

Basically not this. Something with a definable and interesting shape with a handful of details is fine.

Luna wrote:
Two: Do you need to be on the team to have your faction in the game/mod?
No. You only have to pump out art for the factions in the current development cycle.

Luna wrote:
Three: Cavnin Do not use infantry and I plan to hold that rule. Either I'm out or... find a way for the vehicles to fill in all needed infantry roles (And I know it can be done)
Hmm. Ultralite vehicles could be done by way of light mechs of some sort, though you'll be extremely weak early game.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 pm

NeoRome has a relatively simple backstory, could we add that? Besides, TELLrim, as decided between me and Tell, was spawned in the same civil war that spawned NeoRome, they were just fleeing while we fought. I can post the backstory, and some ground unit- arts stuff I can quickly draw.

Simple theme- Dark green visuals (Because now stained clay makes it better), mainly laser weaponry, triangular, though streamlined, designs. I can draw some up.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm

NeoRome is a definite, but you'll notice my own faction, the Protectorate, isn't in the current cycle either. This is because it overlaps a role with ACH's birdmen. Similarly, the NR is extremely similar to TELLrim. If you two agree to swap places, sure, but the current balance for Tell is a guerilla warfare type as opposed to the high tech, protoss-like characteristics Neorome should have.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:08 pm

SNK will probably take on a harsh, angular sort of scheme. Their coloured will be red and grey or white. Strigiforme air units will have a distinct advantage, as will static emplacements. Strigiforme ground units will probably be more.... Meh. I also imagine TELLrim having fast, adaptable ground units like hoverbikes, as well as having a really fast troop carrier for rapid deployment. I then imagine UTN having big, heavy ground units that can soak up damage and dish out damage. I don't know how you'd balance it, but that's what I envision. I'll also throw together some sketches if I can. Owls will also be in line with RP lore at 2-3 meters, to prevent giant soopermekas.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
SNK will probably take on a harsh, angular sort of scheme. Their coloured will be red and grey or white. Strigiforme air units will have a distinct advantage, as will static emplacements. Strigiforme ground units will probably be more.... Meh. I also imagine TELLrim having fast, adaptable ground units like hoverbikes, as well as having a really fast troop carrier for rapid deployment. I then imagine UTN having big, heavy ground units that can soak up damage and dish out damage. I don't know how you'd balance it, but that's what I envision. I'll also throw together some sketches if I can. Owls will also be in line with RP lore at 2-3 meters, to prevent giant soopermekas.
Strigiforme: Good shielding, many fliers/Poor infantry, weak on the offensive

Philosphy: Turtle.

TELLrim: Versatile units, great damage output/Minimal defenses, techs are very passive

Philosophy: Guerrilla.

Terran Trade Confed.: Inexpensive troops, t2 vehicle/Relatively few aircraft, units are on the weak side

Philosophy: Steamroller.

That's what I have as far as balance for the first three.

As far as design, the only thing I ask is that you provide pictures. I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to model off of descriptions alone.

Last edited by Comrade Tiel on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Tiel wrote:
Basically not this
-snips-
This semester I'm in an arts class and have been practicing regardless, and thus hopefully I'll have less of... those ones.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 pm

So I am unfamiliar with Homeworld 2. Summary? Last I heard we were making a SOASE mod, did that get canceled? Okay.

Anyhow, I'm available for all the things but I'll try to post some concept art.

Also, Tiel. I don't think people not liking you is a reason to not be project lead. You had the idea, you need to run with it. If people like the idea, they'll help. If people hate you enough they don't want to help then their loss.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Keon wrote:
So I am unfamiliar with Homeworld 2. Summary? Last I heard we were making a SOASE mod, did that get canceled? Okay.

Anyhow, I'm available for all teh things but I'll try to post some concept art.
Okay.

I wanted to make an SOASE mod, but not everyone had it so I decided to make something for Spring instead. However, I then learned that making it spacey to my tastes would require some hackey methods so I gave up.

Then vinyl came with the HW2 thread which is now dead.

And now I'm starting a project for Glest, that with any luck won't die.
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I will made sure it doesn't die.
Mediocre Example of A Hexalan Vehicle Assembly Building:
EDIT:
Better Example of A Hexalan Scorp Tank:

Last edited by Vinyl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:48 pm

I tried to draw concept art in Paint.NET, but I've never been able to get stuff I do there to look good. I could probably draw it by hand, but I'd rather not. Instead, I give you a few real-life vehicles, all produced by Germany for WWII:
Spoiler:

They are, in order:
Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard (Translation: Cheetah anti-aircraft tank)
Panzerjäger Tiger (P) (usually called the Elefant. It's a tank destroyer.)
Flakpanzer IV "Wirbelwind" (Whirlwind anti-aircraft tank. Manus has made a model of this, and it's awesome)
Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz (Ball Lightning anti-aircraft tank)

Last edited by Last_Jedi_Standing on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 pm

@Jedi spoiler those pl0x

And just a general thing: designs for the current three factions are really what are needed. The sooner we get those out, the sooner we can move on to another cycle of races.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Glest?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 pm

As explained in the OP, Glest is an opensource RTS engine.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
@Jedi spoiler those pl0x

And just a general thing: designs for the current three factions are really what are needed. The sooner we get those out, the sooner we can move on to another cycle of races.
Spoilers are for those who lack the imagination to see the bigger picture, if you see what I did there, and indeed again there.

So, then: Any particular design traits for the factions? E.g. Advent ships are smooth and rounded but with sharp points and tend towards white and blue, TEC ships have hard lines and industrial shapes, Yuuzhan Vong ships are horrifying conglomerations of various animals, etc?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:04 pm

"Strigiforme Nationalized Kingdom will probably take on a harsh, angular sort of scheme." According to ACH. The owls, if you didn't know.

Laserbilly's ships strongly resemble Battlestar Galactica, so I'd say it's probably fair to think that his ground units would look the same. I think he has some, in fact, if you want to look at them for reference. (Terran Trade Confederation)

Think Trade Conglomerate here. No more than necessary, which is why they have zerg infantrymen, but enough to get the job done which begets an industrial flair.

Tellrim hasn't actually made any ships, so I'm putting them at boxy (a less rugged TTC) with a touch of roman.

Tellrim, by canon, is an exiled subfaction of Old Rome. They fight dirty to make use of what units they have, but aren't exactly at a loss for new equipment.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I like all the factions except TELLrim. I mean, in-rp it's fine, but if we want a project that could be played outside of our forum we want a obvious name. Still based on them, but a different name.

Also, how is recourse-getting going to work? SCII does it with workers mining crystals. SOASE has planets and asteroids produce it. SupCom has the whole extractor stuff.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Two resources: Power and Credits. Credits are acquired by putting resource collectors on parts of the map - think SCII but automated in that you only need to put a building on a patch of crystals, which are also more common and placed strategically around the map. Kinda like DOW in that regard.

Second is Power. Power is gained by making Power Plants, which is then spent on researching new units, and eventually, a new Tier that unlocks new buildings and yet more units. Very much like AOE's 'Age' system, there.

I like Tellrim because the big factions are already in a mod, and I don't want to intrude on what prototype's doing. The first three form a good trio, and expanding on that base will give plenty of memorable names.
Back to top Go down
Luna
Recruit
Recruit
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Not sure if we are allowed to specify roles but I put them in anyway. These are just vehicles and VTOLs.

Bean (Tank)
Spoiler:
Gadfly (Slow vehicle mid health and high attack damage)
Spoiler:
Moth (artillery) (ignore differently colored missiles)
Spoiler:
Marauder (Tank)
Spoiler:
Skiff (LAV)
Spoiler:
Weasel (LAV/Jeep)
Spoiler:
Spider (Fast & weak drone, possibly deployed from barracks)
Spoiler:
Ant (tank drone/AOE shield drone)
Spoiler:
Mule (resource collecter)
Spoiler:
Kite (VTOL)
Spoiler:
Parrot (VTOL)
Spoiler:
Locust (VTOL, Drone)
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
Two resources: Power and Credits. Credits are acquired by putting resource collectors on parts of the map - think SCII but automated in that you only need to put a building on a patch of crystals, which are also more common and placed strategically around the map. Kinda like DOW in that regard.

Second is Power. Power is gained by making Power Plants, which is then spent on researching new units, and eventually, a new Tier that unlocks new buildings and yet more units. Very much like AOE's 'Age' system, there.

I like Tellrim because the big factions are already in a mod, and I don't want to intrude on what prototype's doing. The first three form a good trio, and expanding on that base will give plenty of memorable names.
Is the resource system customizable, or is that just how it is in the standard game we're modding?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Regular resource system is AOE style 'collect stones, collect gold'. Might do that if what I have in mind proves too complex to script, but otherwise I'm not really a fan of how Starcraft does things. Deathballs ain't no fun.

Also, I wouldn't call it modding any game. To deal in semantics, were we modding it we'd just be adding a faction to the vanilla ones. This is an attempt to use the engine to create a genuine Futurecraft RTS from the ground up.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Very well.

It would be cool if, say, the Strifgforme (shuddup it's spelled wrong I know)'s credit collector was a flying unit that could transform into a ground building - the collector, giving them a very expansionist early game.

Tellrim could have a "siphon" spell that sucks an enemy collector and gives it to the tellrim, etc.

And the Terran Trade Confederation could have trade-posts that, well, trade, generating a net income but leaving some vulnerable supply lines.

Of course, these aren't balanced yet. Just thoughts.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Why crystals? Why not Yttrium?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Futurecraft RTS Project   Futurecraft RTS Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Futurecraft RTS Project
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next