Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log

Go down 
+21
_Shadowcat_
Keon
The Schmetterling
Saravanth
hyperlite
Hierarch CMA
Tau
Tell
TinkerPox
Hierarch Fenway
Groot
Joel
MrTargareyan
Tiel+
Ivan2006
Laserbilly
Caramell
Iv121
fr0stbyte124
Soul of Jack
Last_Jedi_Standing
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Empty
PostSubject: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 3:55 pm

rexexturing the Scimitar, which one looks better:

A
Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log 2013_08_02_20_47_40

or

B
Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log 2013_08_02_20_55_28
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 3:58 pm

I think B looks better.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Moved to the Development Logs subforum.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 pm

And moved back, because Prototype can't post in the Dev Log section.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 10:42 pm

A
Back to top Go down
MercurySteam
Infantry
Infantry
MercurySteam

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Is there a C option?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:33 am

I think it looks a little strange having it be that resolution and still look 8-bit. It might need to go even lower res on the wing.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 am

That is what I'm trying to say for such long that going a res down won't make stuff look better - you just need to use your res properly. A good idea for example is make smooth transitions using half transparent layers on lines (or simply blurring a copy of the line) which makes the line look more natural.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 am

A has more colors, but B has a more used/torn look.

I think I'm gonna go with B.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 5:36 am

I think B looks better Smile
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Ok, so I stumbled upon some guys making a star wars mod, and they were making an X-wing, but the model was so horrible, I almost cried, so I decided I'd save them the wrath of every star wars nerd, and make the X-wing for them, and so far, it's so sexy I'll use it in the pack (nothing to do with the fact I beat Manus to making this)

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log X_wing

need to do the guns and its almost done (the model)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Fuselage needs to be a little longer

Actually, here -

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log 2-12-605655

This should give you an idea of what it needs. Generally speaking, longer everything, it's kinda stubby ATM.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:12 pm

The problem with you making an X-wing is that if it's not absolutely accurate neither Tiel nor I will let you rest until it is. What you have right now is not going to cut it.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Well duh, it isn't finished, and you would have had a heart attack if you'd have seen what this is replacing (seriously, think brick with wings)

And yes Tiel, I know what the X-wing looks like I'm using this as reference:

Spoiler:

Also if you want me to make it perfectly like that picture, no, can't be done, not in minecraft. Considering this one has to be done in Techne (the one I put in the pack can have shapes) also before you shoot me, I can't have the S-foils slope back in Techne while they are in the attack position (which is what they need to be in).

As for the size, the nose is roughly 2.3 time the length of the cockpit, but doesn't taper in quite so much to avoid messy textures (it would require a lot more shapes to make it taper in perfectly, each one needs to be a little offset to stop z-fighting, which is ok, but when you have as many as it would require, it doesn't look so good, I can try an alternate version to show you when I finish the rest, I may find a way to make it work better, but I want to get the rest done before I experiment).

Fuselage is a few blips too long if you ask me, I'll get an elevation picture to show you when I get back to this.

The flashback suppressors might not be able to be on the same angle as the S-foils (same reason I can't have sloped wings) but I can make them vertical, which isn't 100% accurate, but I don't give a shit.

Engines will have to be square while this is in Techne, I can make them octagonal, but it will cause a lot of z-fighting, and I'd rather the model be innacurate than have that (seriously, it's ugly and painful to look at)

No the engine connectors aren't finished, I'll make them flatten off into the wings (like they do) but I might need some trickery to make them go in all the way without z-fighting but this probably won't be as obvious as the nose.

And bear in mind, for the time being, I am using Techne (for the non-Flan version, I will upgrade it after), so I am limited, keep harassing me about something I can't do, and you will be politely told to get the hell out of my kitchen

Last edited by Prototype on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Gee, who pissed in your cereal?
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
Gee, who pissed in your cereal?
Probably that damn owl, I must remember to dismember it.

I also appear to have developed a Gordon Ramsay like personality, I need to keep an eye on it.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, if this is how you respond to anything that isn't blind praise, I'd love to see your reaction to any serious critique.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
Yes, if this is how you respond to anything that isn't blind praise, I'd love to see your reaction to honest criticism.
Surely you must know me well enough by now to know that I'm never that serious, though you might not have seen the humour in that (pretty obvious if you ask me, but I understand not everyone shares my sense of humour).

And you've already seen my reaction to honest criticism, I spent hours re making the thing.

Deploying anti-serious measures:

But really, I would appreciate help if I miss something, just bear in mind I can't do everything, I have listed all known problems, but its not impossible that I will run into more, if I say it isn't possible, it isn't going to happen.
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I thought it looked just as recognizable as it needs to.

And if it's not too late I like the A texture more. It's brighter and less washed out.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 8:10 pm

No offense, Laser, but imho you lost a lot of credibility as far as feedback when you admitted you do your best to make feel-good comments as opposed to suggestions for improvement.

Not saying you need to be more of a 'tearing people down' type, but..
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Laserbilly wrote:
I thought it looked just as recognizable as it needs to.
Of course it's recognizable. An X-wing is one of the most recognizable ships in all of science fiction. >:0:< is fairly recognizable as an X-wing. If the model was only recognizable, that would be really disappointing, because you could make a perfectly recognizable X-wing out of five boxes. The only things that differentiate five boxes from a good model are the details, and the model as we were shown hasn't got them.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 am

Ok, realised I'd botched up one of my previous calculations regarding the ratio of cockpit to nose being 2.3, it's actually 1:2.67 (or 70:187) (which I had it anyway) however I measured the side of the cockpit when I was making the nose to be 35, but I later extended the cockpit back to be 47, meaning the previous nose length of 93 was now too short, but I've extended it out to 122.2 units of length, which is exactly proportional lengthwise to the actual X-wing, this means I'll have to extend the back part of the fuselage as well as it was proportioned to the incorrect cockpit length, but this is a simple matter.

I also might have worked out a way to make the wings slope, but I am yet to test it.

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log X_wing_2

now I probably need to raise the whole thing in order to make the engines bigger, so they don't clip into the ground, but this would mean when it is on the ground, te whole thing rests on the engines, which I don't particularly like, but I can't really raise the wings otherwise they'll be in the wrong place, and if I lower the angle then that will make it inaccurate for attack position (at the moment I'm using an angle of 12 degrees, but I can't seem to find an official angle for this, Jedi or Tiel, would you know the angle of difference between an S-foil in attack position and rest position?)
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 5:49 am

I have very little knowledge of what its supposed to look like, apart from the pictures you posted. But it looks good Smile
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 6:01 am

MrTargareyan wrote:
I have very little knowledge of what its supposed to look like, apart from the pictures you posted. But it looks good Smile
You don't know what an X-wing looks like ?!?

What are you doing on this forum.

Also I've resized the engines to fit a 1:1.117 ratio with the width of the nose, this is about the same ration between the engines and the middle of the nose on the X-wing, except my nose here doesn't taper like the actual one (at least the width doesn't, I can't make it taper widthways and heightways, not without shapes, and even with shapes it's a bit sketchy, but Manus's new shape functions might do it, but I don't have access to those yet)

And I've filled the top of the cockpit in like the actual X-wing

And I tried working out the angle of the wings, and wasn't able to, until I realised my calculator was still in radians, it's actually 23.533 degrees, which means the wings are going to clip into the ground no matter what, I need to raise the whole thing.

I also think I know how to make the flashback suppressors a little better, but they will be square, not curved

EDIT: derp, measured the wrong bit, it's actually 17.132 degrees, which is workable, and the wings length are at an almost exact 1:2 ratio with the cockpit length

Last edited by Prototype on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 6:13 am

Prototype wrote:
MrTargareyan wrote:
You don't know what an X-wing looks like ?!?

I have a vague idea, but I get confused between a lot of star wars ships :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log   Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prototype's temporary and somewhat dissapointing development log
Page 1 of 19Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next