Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

How we should do power generation.

Go down 
+17
Shiva
Splash_Fire
tonyri
Pat Best
fr0stbyte124
Laibach
Keon
The Schmetterling
Danice123
xanex21
GroundBurg_Coder13
GLaDOS
Beaner
hyperlite
Misticblade7
ectrimble20
Buggy1997123
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:28 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
buggy wrote:
Uh... wait. How would we get antimatter? A A-M reactor would work similarily to a nuclear reactor with how the energy is actually harvested so people can use it run toasters or whatever, but how would we actually get the antimatter?

Who cares? Mine it from an anti-matter asteroid for all I care lol.

To my knowledge Anti-matter would be extremely impractical anyway, it currently costs all the money in the world to make a small amount, like 10 grams or something.

I think I was throwing anti-matter out there as just an alternative to the ZPM idea which has become quite impractical.

btw its An anti-matter reactor, not a anti-matter reactor, being a little grammar nazi tonight lol.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about reactors and what not, I'd be fine with letting Danice do his own bidding and making it how he sees it and just run with that.

Well, I think the Anti-matter reactor, even with the Anti-matter production problem, is a more realistic idea. It may cost all the money in the world to create a small amount of anti-matter, but then again, how much money would it cost today to create a tear into another universe to power a ZPM?

Now think a couple thousand years into the future, technology we have today got much better, much cheaper, much smaller. Anti-matter is now an available resource to power ships, while tearing holes into other universes is still improbable.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 am

Pat22 wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
buggy wrote:
Uh... wait. How would we get antimatter? A A-M reactor would work similarily to a nuclear reactor with how the energy is actually harvested so people can use it run toasters or whatever, but how would we actually get the antimatter?

Who cares? Mine it from an anti-matter asteroid for all I care lol.

To my knowledge Anti-matter would be extremely impractical anyway, it currently costs all the money in the world to make a small amount, like 10 grams or something.

I think I was throwing anti-matter out there as just an alternative to the ZPM idea which has become quite impractical.

btw its An anti-matter reactor, not a anti-matter reactor, being a little grammar nazi tonight lol.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about reactors and what not, I'd be fine with letting Danice do his own bidding and making it how he sees it and just run with that.

Well, I think the Anti-matter reactor, even with the Anti-matter production problem, is a more realistic idea. It may cost all the money in the world to create a small amount of anti-matter, but then again, how much money would it cost today to create a tear into another universe to power a ZPM?

Now think a couple thousand years into the future, technology we have today got much better, much cheaper, much smaller. Anti-matter is now an available resource to power ships, while tearing holes into other universes is still improbable.
Still one problem, we will probably eventually have the tech to go into another dimension, hell we even have a idea of how to do it now, but we also know that antimatter production will always be a slow and bulky process that's inherently difficult(infact, a energy input-A-M output ratio above 50% is impossible(100%=you get 200% the production energy input in output as some form of energy or particle)). Advancing technology can make it faster, but you still have to procure or produce elementary particles, accelerate them to near-lightspeed, collide them, and collect and painstakingly store them, a inherently difficult process. If you want to make something easier to store(especially in larger amounts), like iron, you will need to make either another accelerator, or if you want a faster way make a anti matter fusion reactor. I won't kid you though, for weaponry, anti matter is topped only by Kinetic weaponry
Back to top Go down
kennysmith1234
kennysmith1234

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 am

...we already have trans-dimensional travel.

O=obsidian

oooo
o o
o o
o o
oooo

Use flint and steel to make...A PORTAL TO ANOTHER DIMENSION!!!
Abuse Minecraft, screw reality.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:44 am

Pat22 wrote:
Yaaaaaay anti-matter reactors it is!

Also, from what Buggy said, it seems his field of nanotechnology would break without you even having to look at it, since he mentionned than you have to prevent anything and everything from getting to it, meaning if you're simply standing in it's general vicinity you'll be reflecting photons at it and breaking it?
Ok, maybe that was a bit extreme, but individual collectors, from what I understand, would be nanoscale devices. This is a good and bad thing.

Good: realistic nanoscale factorys could build such a array in days. Little known fact: nano production is nothing like that-grey-glue-that-magically-makes-anything-in-10-seconds, factories would be the size of a average box and prebuilt to produce a single thing. They're as fast as hell though, if you started a average windows desktop and a nano factory at the same time it you'll have a newly made laptop before the desktop is fully booted.

Bad news: The array might not break if you look at it, but throw a rock and you'll probably break whatever collectors it directly/indirectly hits. Nanotech gets more fragile the smaller it is.
Back to top Go down
Splash_Fire

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 am

Lol thanks. You should watch more anime, it would give you a more creative futuristic view.

Also, this may be a bit off topic, but:

Cloaking Mechanisms?

Have the ship use a certain amount of energy per surface block to keep it hidden

Deflector Shields?

This is more of a star wars-y thing mixed with assorted video games, but just a shield that blocks oncoming laser blasts (but it doesn't deflect normal metal projectiles, just energy (I think that includes explosions outside the shield))
ALSO, give them specific frequencies so that friendly ships can pass through them to dock

Airborne Proximity Mines

Self explanatory, if an entity or shield disturbs them, deh go BOOMZ

Lazernet Defense system

Based off Star wars the animated series, and some specific season of Transformers (8th I think) Have pillars that when activated, formed a bubble shield (Like a deflector shield, but absolutely nothing can pass through)
And the strength of it depends on how many pillars there are, and it can even be planet-wide

Just some thoughts I had in my 10 minutes here of sitting here and typing

If there's a more appropriate place to put this, please link me to it below this and I'll copy & paste
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 am

Splash_Fire wrote:
Lol thanks. You should watch more anime, it would give you a more creative futuristic view.
That won't help us because our ships don't turn into robots.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 am

If we use an EM shield, it would stop any radiation damaging
the nano-tech. No idea how the magnetism would effect it though.

Also, remember that the only difference between the nano collector (wait... is
that a reference?) system and the ZPM is that the ZPM is situated in another
dimension, meaning it doesn't take up massive amounts of space (but still
requires the glowing crystal to transfer the energy from subspace [the fourth
dimension] back to the real world])
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Splash_Fire wrote:
That won't help us because our ships don't turn into robots.

You did promise walkers, right?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm

I promised no such thing. But maybe, if there is a market for it.
Back to top Go down
hell2o

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I promised no such thing. But maybe, if there is a market for it.

theres a market: star wars fans sci-fi fans
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

AT-ST's sucked. And AT-AT's were probably REALLY REALLY REALLY expensive.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
hell2o

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:06 pm

they may have been expensive but they're still awesome
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm

But not awesome enough to turn the world into a black hole. And they have a terrible weakness: Get under their line of sight and stretch out a steel cable in front of their legs.

PLUS: 200th POST! Cool

Last edited by daman200 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:27 pm

daman200 wrote:
But not awesome to turn the world into a black hole. And they have a terrible weakness: Get under their line of sight and stretch out a steel cable in front of their legs.

PLUS: 200th POST! Cool

If we get walkers, we're obviously going for those MAWLRs I posted in the other thread I derailed. They kick AT-ATs' butts any day, any time.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I have a solution(I am Bubo Ignus, how could I not), build a moveable wall out of dropships, or a ship, and just block the AT-AT from going the way to your base. Problem solved!
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Or just put a little land mine that blows up one leg. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   How we should do power generation. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How we should do power generation.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4