Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

New power idea.

Go down 
+8
fr0stbyte124
xanex21
Keon
r2fart2
Soul of Jack
The Schmetterling
Laibach
Commander Kobialka
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 pm

This is a new idea for powering ships. It is called a RAM engine. In real life, the RAM engine could make us travel to the nearest galaxy in twenty years. In game, it could simply be a power source that never runs out. In space, the most abundant resource is hydrogen. A RAM engine is a giant scoop on the front end of a ship that takes in this hydrogen, and converts it to fuel WHILE THE SHIP IS MOVING. Any comments or extensions to make this idea better? please tell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Where did you get this idea from? I remember reading it in an old Sci-fi magazine

although it seems pretty good, but in in the story it was from it emitted so much radiation any cargo had to be towed miles behind it, having living people on board was impossible
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:55 am

Wouldn't a better source of infinite energy be form Zero Point Energy? Because, technically, you will run out of hydrogen eventually.
Also, I sense that somehow there won't be enough hydrogen to power a ship in the void between galaxies.

Besides that, it is still an interesting idea.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Wouldn't a better source of infinite energy be form Zero Point Energy? Because, technically, you will run out of hydrogen eventually.
Also, I sense that somehow there won't be enough hydrogen to power a ship in the void between galaxies.

Indeed
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am

CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
Where did you get this idea from? I remember reading it in an old Sci-fi magazine

although it seems pretty good, but in in the story it was from it emitted so much radiation any cargo had to be towed miles behind it, having living people on board was impossible

I read this in a book full of different sci-fi scenarios and how they might be possible. This was the most probable way we will travel faster than light in the book but the scoop would have to be kilometers in diameter. Of course, this is Minecraft. Things are different. lol!
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

That might be true between galaxies. The scoop is HUGE though. idk.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

I thought we were doing a spore type thing where galaxies don't interact, each galaxy is a different server-group thing
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 pm

No, there will only be the one galaxy. I was talking about in actualization, not how it would fit in the mod.
Back to top Go down
r2fart2
r2fart2

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 5:26 pm

There's something like this in Star ruler. Basically in the game, the "scoop" gives your ship a slow supply of fuel. I don't how it really works though.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Kobialka wrote:
This is a new idea for powering ships. It is called a RAM engine. In real life, the RAM engine could make us travel to the nearest galaxy in twenty years.

Citation needed.

The nearest galaxy to us is Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy, and it is 25,000 light years away. WHY U BREAK FIZICZ?
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Keon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
This is a new idea for powering ships. It is called a RAM engine. In real life, the RAM engine could make us travel to the nearest galaxy in twenty years.

Citation needed.

The nearest galaxy to us is Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy, and it is 25,000 light years away. WHY U BREAK FIZICZ?

wtf dude. W T F. Our galaxy is not even 25,000 light years to the CENTER. Yet, the nearest MAJOR galaxy is Andromeda.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Wow.. just looked it up and wikipedia is WAAAAYYYY wrong

the nearest STAR is a few lightyears away, it says canis whatever is les than 1/4 of one XD
Back to top Go down
xanex21

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

if you want to be realistic, then ask your self this, What is the density of hydrogen in space?

I dont know the density , but you could say 2 million atoms of hydrogen for every block and every block that passes through your machine would provide x amount of energy, which reduces the cost of fuel on board required to move the ship.

i like the idea, because it works when you move your ship ,but with what "Energy" that you have on board. (So it makes travel more efficient).

To expand on the idea, you could use solar sails, deploy a sail that catches the solar wind which then moves your ship but at a slow rate, more sails attached to ship the faster you move.To simplfy things solar wind comes from every direction?

Solar sail would be a lower tier item easily made for interstellar travel.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 am

Kobialka wrote:
Keon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:

Citation needed.

wtf dude. W T F. Our galaxy is not even 25,000 light years to the CENTER. Yet, the nearest MAJOR galaxy is Andromeda.

Dwarf galaxies often orbit larger spiral galaxies. They're pretty much shapeless blobs and orbit on a different axis from the main galaxy. The Milky Way has a number of them.

I don't see how, even if a RAM engine worked (which seems pretty dubious) it would ever allow for FTL travel. As deep space would be completely empty anyway, I see no reason to include it. Travel from one system to another will be done with either warp drives or gates (or both). If people still want deep space, just set up a solar system without a star.

I suppose we could still use the RAM, but it would be strictly for intrastellar travel. Solar sails might be kind of hard to justify. The real things are supposed to be kilometers in size and will take years to get up to full speed and then years more to decelerate.
Back to top Go down
xanex21

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
Keon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:

Citation needed.

Dwarf galaxies often orbit larger spiral galaxies. They're pretty much shapeless blobs and orbit on a different axis from the main galaxy. The Milky Way has a number of them.

I don't see how, even if a RAM engine worked (which seems pretty dubious) it would ever allow for FTL travel. As deep space would be completely empty anyway, I see no reason to include it. Travel from one system to another will be done with either warp drives or gates (or both). If people still want deep space, just set up a solar system without a star.

I suppose we could still use the RAM, but it would be strictly for intrastellar travel. Solar sails might be kind of hard to justify. The real things are supposed to be kilometers in size and will take years to get up to full speed and then years more to decelerate.

Space is not empty, it is considered a vacuum because the pressure is really low, however there are pockets of gas, ice, , etc in small amounts excluding planets, comets, stars and moons.You right about the solar sail, but for simplicity sake it moves your ship, the principal is still there but its not accurate in terms of speed you can gain. Well if you make you sail big enough couldnt you go pretty fast, which brings up the question of speed . How fast will ships travel in future craft?

Its funny that guy talks about RAM engine, its similar to a solar sail in that it collects particles, but uses the potential energy from hydrogen to accelerate the craft, well in theory.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
Keon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:

Citation needed.

The galaxies would not interact with eachother... as each galaxy is a collection of servers that want nothing to do with the other collection of servers so it would not matter anyway.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
Keon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:

Citation needed.

honesty, ram engines scoops are supposed to be the same size so....
Back to top Go down
Cool3303
Recruit
Recruit
Cool3303

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm

I (used a capital there, very proud of myself) have a better engine idea: the Imagination Engine. You eat a magic cookie and imagine you are in the next galaxy, then ping! You arrived!
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Cool3303 wrote:
I have an better engine idea the Imagination engine you eat a magic cookie and imagine you are in the next galaxy and ping you arrived

What a wonderful idea...
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Kobialka wrote:

honesty, ram engines scoops are supposed to be the same size so....

Fair enough. No ram engines. :p
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Cool3303 wrote:
I have an better engine idea the Imagination engine you eat a magic cookie and imagine you are in the next galaxy and ping you arrived
Does this have anything to do with the Improbability Drive?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

I actually think that is a good idea. Many Sci-Fi franchises have a jump drive based off of the mind or improbability. We should incorporate one of those!
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 pm

What about assembling atoms(EG Hydrogen or Helium) from the quarks and neutrons and electrons and protons that are everywhere in space? That, or using some sort of nuclear breeder reactor. Or owl tech using Yttrium.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Guys, guys... you have it all wrong. We want peace AND energy in the universe. We can achieve both! We just steal all of GLaDOS('s?) kiloliters of neurotoxin and produce some kind of chemical reaction (Or just threaten other planets desroying the peace idea) and get energy! Well... we also could blow up everyone else and just blow ourselves up also and get peace... and there will be no need for energy either!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New power idea. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New power idea.   New power idea. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New power idea.
Page 1 of 1