Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Driver question

Go down 
+6
Keon
ACH0225
fr0stbyte124
Tiel+
Danice123
Laibach
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm building a computer, and I cant afford windows, so I'm using ubuntu.

the only problem is that my motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics, and I was wondering if Ill have to load the drivers for the card i'm getting into the flash drive/live CD I'm using.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Maybe... I feel for you dude, Windows is SOO expensive. Third most expensive thing I bought for my build, after the video card and SSD.

Personally I would just wing it and figure it out as you go, that usually my plan Smile. Google is your friend.
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Alright, thanks

I wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring a really well known anything lol.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm

You'll be using generic drivers, which will reduce performance. Also, on newegg some Ubuntu users have reported GPUs rejecting the OS. If that's the only option you have, hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm not versed in the pirate ways like you Razz
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I didn't insinuate anything about piracy in that post..
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

I know, you were just talking about it a while ago

ALSO TIEL HAS NOT, TO MY KNOWLEDGE EVER PIRATED ANYTHING

JUST TALKED ABOUT IT

*DISCLAIMER*

[size=7]dont kill me thought police Sad
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 pm

I'll go ahead and say that while I am a hardcore pirate, I've never done so for anything by Microsoft. They deserve every penny for the quality software they push out.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Im legally, and somewhat morally, obligated to type this:

ಠ_ಠ
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I find it amazing I don't get any viruses. Probably due to the internet security suite I bought.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 pm

good

I prefer whatever's free and physcially connecting to the internet.

nothing stops hackers like isolation!
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Don't know what you're saying there...the only RPGs I've bought so far is Oblivion and ME1&2. They have no online, so there really isn't that much of a deterrent into downloading 'illegitimate copies' of the software.

Anyway, we'd best stop discussing the subject before the US Department of Justice gets wind of this and shuts down forumotion .-.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

lol

videogames get hurt the most by pirating though, if you must, stick to music, im sure M&Ms can spare the 99 cents or whatever they get from itunes (NOT THAT I SUPPORT THIS OR THINK IT IS JUSTIFIABLE AT ALL)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Think about it.

Thepiratebay currently has 600 people seeding an illegal copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

600x60= 36,000$ loss. Then you consider that the game grossed almost 800 million dollars in 5 days after release. This happened for the next week, and the next week..

Hypothetically, let's say in total they netted around 1.3 billion dollars for essentially switching a few things in MW2 and renaming it, less than half a year's work if you consider the minor tweaks to shaders and the rendering engine.

Now, compare 1,300,000,000 to 36,000. If any company's being hurt by a 2.7% loss in profit, they're doing something wrong. Especially when we apply Notch's logic: "If someone pirates a game and likes it, they'll buy it to get more features. If they pirate a game and don't, then there's no loss at all"
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Tiel wrote:
Think about it.

Thepiratebay currently has 600 people seeding an illegal copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

600x60= 36,000$ loss. Then you consider that the game grossed almost 800 million dollars in 5 days after release. This happened for the next week, and the next week..

Hypothetically, let's say in total they netted around 1.3 billion dollars for essentially switching a few things in MW2 and renaming it, less than half a year's work if you consider the minor tweaks to shaders and the rendering engine.

Now, compare 1,300,000,000 to 36,000. If any company's being hurt by a 2.7% loss in profit, they're doing something wrong. Especially when we apply Notch's logic: "If someone pirates a game and likes it, they'll buy it to get more features. If they pirate a game and don't, then there's no loss at all"

I mean for indie games, or smaller games

and stealing can't be justified

let's just drop it XD
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 pm

You can usually get graphics drivers from the restricted repository. Or something like that. It's been a really long time.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:16 pm

restricted repository?

is that a linux thing?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Bleh, I need a new graphics card, mine just lags out every 15 minutes or so, then I have to put my comp to sleep. Any way to fix this or any good, cheap graphics cards?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Bleh, I need a new graphics card, mine just lags out every 15 minutes or so, then I have to put my comp to sleep. Any way to fix this or any good, cheap graphics cards?

Try a 5570. Should do the job until you can afford a more expensive one.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Tiel wrote:
I'll go ahead and say that while I am a hardcore pirate, I've never done so for anything by Microsoft. They deserve every penny for the quality software they push out.

You HAVE to be kidding me. Most of Microsoft's software is crap or overpriced. IE is THE WORST BROWSER AVAILABLE. The entire Works suite can be totally replaced by google docs, which is also more accessible AND compatible with everything. You have no idea how many times I have tried to move a word document or slide show from computer to computer and have been stopped dead because of different versions of software. The only reason that they sell operating systems is that they have a monopoly on the gaming market + most everybody still uses Windows regularly. But even their operating systems are crappy, Vista was a total flop, and they are the ONLY operating system that gets viruses.

Well thats not TECHNICALLY true but look at this:

Windows in 2005 : over 103,000 viruses (http://www.cknow.com/cms/vtutor/number-of-viruses.html)

Linux in 2005 : 863 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware)

Releasing an operating system that need EXTRA PROGRAMS that you must BUY to keep it out of some random hackers control sounds pretty crappy to me.

Tiel wrote:
Especially when we apply Notch's logic: "If someone pirates a game and likes it, they'll buy it to get more features. If they pirate a game and don't, then there's no loss at all"

I'll admit, I'm a pretty big time pirate. I had pirated Minecraft for years now. But in the end, I bought it. Because Minecraft has proven itself to be worth my money. And I have felt guilty for those past few years too. Same with anything Bethesda, I feel bad when I pirate their stuff (But I do own XBOX versions of the games so I ease my conscious with that lol)

I am really sad that my modded Xbox 360 broke though... What good times...

I must say in closing that with my new computer build, I would have pirated Windows 7 if I had felt that it was worth all the time and effort subverting Microsoft, but I went with the easy way out... And am now $100 poorer. Shoulda gon with linux...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Hey - at least it's not OSX.

My main beef with Linux is that gaming on it is nonexistent. Sure, you can use wine, but that hardly works 3/4s of the time, and in the ones it does you get poor framerates and multiple bugs. The only reason I still have ubuntu installed on my PCs is so I have something to go to when my Windows partition decides to roll over and die.

Agreed on Bethesda.

And I've done the research on it, Windows 7 piracy is eazy. Essentially you just need to register it as an OEM using a loader, then deleting the file in C:/WINDOWS that is supposed to prevent them. Rinse and repeat for every update.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Tiel wrote:
Hey - at least it's not OSX.

My main beef with Linux is that gaming on it is nonexistent. Sure, you can use wine, but that hardly works 3/4s of the time, and in the ones it does you get poor framerates and multiple bugs. The only reason I still have ubuntu installed on my PCs is so I have something to go to when my Windows partition decides to roll over and die.

Agreed on Bethesda.

And I've done the research on it, Windows 7 piracy is eazy. Essentially you just need to register it as an OEM using a loader, then deleting the file in C:/WINDOWS that is supposed to prevent them. Rinse and repeat for every update.

But its SOO much easier to just have a legit version. I'm lazy Smile

Linux sucks for gaming unfortunately, but with the way even Windows gaming is going now-a-days, you probably might as well just lay down some cash for a console and just play minecraft on your PC. Again, SOO much easier. Don't have to worry about drivers or anything, you can just sit down, join a party and hang out with your friends with some BF3 or Gears or whatever (I'm an Xbox player lol). Microsoft might suck on the PC side, but they make pretty good consoles (rrod aside). Actually concentrating your mainstream video games to a console and your indie games on the computer (since they almost always get developed for linux anyways) isn't a bad idea... Although a little more expensive (cough LIVE cough)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:26 pm

A PS3 can't play Halo. An Xbox can't play Killzone. A PC can play both.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:29 pm

True that. But thats the price you pay for having a 200-300 dollar box that can play one of them while to play both you would need to spend double that on a PC.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Meh, I'd rather spend 200 bucks more for a nice 6850/i5 2400 build that not only I can game on, but do other things as well such as video rendering and word documents. That's PCs main strength - versatility. Not to mention free games within weeks of their releases Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Driver question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver question   Driver question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver question
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next