Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

A problem I thought off:

Go down 
+16
hiloser12221
Last_Jedi_Standing
Laibach
Dux Tell31
Shiva
Beaner
blockman42
Danice123
Keon
Pat Best
GLaDOS
fr0stbyte124
hyperlite
The Schmetterling
ectrimble20
edvardbetsever
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 am

I really doubt there will be anything approaching WMDs. The amount of calculations required to render procedural damage on a voxel-based environment is significant, not to mention the difficulties it would cause in keeping the game balanced. Anything that could wipe out settlements or battleships in one hit would be by definition overpowered.

Besides, there are plenty of interesting things you can do with conventional technology. For instance, I wonder what happens when you pit a mobile mining platform against a buried bunker?
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 am

Well, WMDs are fun, but maybe firing thrusters onto enemy ships and watching them hit planets would be fun as well. Conventional technology seems so much better now!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 am

If you tried to use Sub-space as a parking lot, you could end up coming out of it anywhere. In a star, buried in the ground, a billion miles from where you parked. Doesn't matter, unless you have co-ordinates that your hyperspace engine can correct you to you could reappear anywhere.

That wasn't from any TV show, by the way, I made it up on the spot. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 am

Han Solo wrote:
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 am

No!!!!!!

It's not true. It's not true. It's not true.

It can't!!!!

You're lying...
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 am

Eh, that would be really good for expeditions, although finding your way back might be a problem.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 am

If you have the right coordinates and navigational correction
system, than you won’t get lost at all.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
No!!!!!!

It can't!!!!

You're lying...

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

At any rate... I'm in favor of WMDs, tbqh. We have them in real life, why not in game? They're not hard to balance at all, actually.

Though yes on the calcs.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Dux Tell31
Recruit
Recruit
Dux Tell31

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Shiva wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
No!!!!!!

It can't!!!!

You're lying...

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

At any rate... I'm in favor of WMDs, tbqh. We have them in real life, why not in game? They're not hard to balance at all, actually.

Though yes on the calcs.

STOP with the acronyms' please!

What dose it all mean!
I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!

-- He proceeds to go away and cry --
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
No!!!!!!

It can't!!!!

You're lying...

lol, i <3 this dev team XD

homersimpson wrote:
D'oh!

tell31 wrote:
Shiva wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
said some stuff
said some more stuff

STOP with the acronyms' please!

What dose it all mean!
I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!

-- He proceeds to go away and cry --

to-be-quite-honest, weapon-of-mass-destruction

Last edited by CoalMiningAlchemist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 pm

err, i moved this message to my other one
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm

WMDs allowed only in space IMO.

Losing your cruiser cause you went to war with someone packing nukes is one thing.

Losing your entire world cause someone with nukes decided to see what it would look like to make the sky rain fire decided to pop into your server is another.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Pat22 wrote:
WMDs allowed only in space IMO.

Losing your cruiser cause you went to war with someone packing nukes is one thing.

Losing your entire world cause someone with nukes decided to see what it would look like to make the sky rain fire decided to pop into your server is another.

Well, you could cause rains of fire to happen in numerous other ways. Kamikazeing your ship into the planet after it's taken too much damage to be useful. Possibly just lining up your ships in the upper atmosphere then launching rockets or, for people who have lots of power, mass accelerator cannons.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:48 pm

I have already thought of a couple thousand battles I want to recreate. One is Tassadar's giant suicide into the overmind. Don't take it away. Make it realistic, sure, but let us do it. Because narrowing possibilities is not good.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Keon wrote:
I have already thought of a couple thousand battles I want to recreate. One is Tassadar's giant suicide into the overmind. Don't take it away. Make it realistic, sure, but let us do it. Because narrowing possibilities is not good.

In that case, ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF BLADES.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 pm

That was just an example. I just want that feeling of power when you destroy a planet.
Stalker Colossus counters anything you can send at me, Zerg!
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:55 pm

It wouldn't be used against the Zerg because there are no Zerg. 19 out of 20 times it is going to be used by griefers against some poor guy's castle. Makes no difference how expensive it is or how cost effective. You can see that eventuality coming from a mile away.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
It wouldn't be used against the Zerg because there are no Zerg. 19 out of 20 times it is going to be used by griefers against some poor guy's castle. Makes no difference how expensive it is or how cost effective. You can see that eventuality coming from a mile away.

Well, he could just pretend he's a really short protoss, and then we spread that weird carpet stuff with wool, and then we get zombie pigmen to walk around the wool.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

If you can get a griefer with a giant cruiser, he deserves to grief that guys castle. Though why he would hit a castle not a space base is a mystery to me.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Exactly.

That's why I say useable in space only, where you can actually flee from the guy with the nukes and not get owned by some douche who just likes to blow things up.

If he has to bring his cruiser in close range to destroy your stuff with weaker weapons, you can fight back, get his name, ban him, get him blacklisted in the entire futurecraft universe.

If all he does is jump into orbit, fire nukes, jump back out, then there's nothing much you could do.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm

Pat, tell my why that cant be done in real life.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Well see, in real life we have these things called something like nuclear arms treaties, which in theory prevent the use of nuclear weapons.

Translate that to in-game and they could be universally banned weapons to use against planets due to their impact on civilian population and planet's environments.

A planet that's been liquified, all life eradicated, and all ecosystems terminated is worth nothing to anyone, except fun for griefers.

If you want to get all "real-life" on me then I can gladly take the time to visit the Sins of a Solar Empire forums and find the thread demonstrating why interplanetary warfar would not include ships, only missiles fired from one planet to another, because it's much more effective for war to simply fire missiles from one planet to another instead of building ships to carry the missiles there.

So, no ships in futurecraft? Is that what you want?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Or we could have galactic politics with nuclear arms treaties which you could break but then the rest of the galaxy would hate you. That is the way I see the universe working.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

We're going to have enough trouble with griefers as it is. You let a guy build a decked-out battle ship, give him all sorts of cool weapons and abilities for it, and then tell him to only fight other players who are interested in combat and have a fair match-up of abilities and to do it in structured scenario where there won't be any hard feelings? Not going to happen. Adding WMDs to their repertoire will only escalate the problem.

And keep in mind, right now there are no plans for substantial NPC factions. It's all player based.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Keon wrote:
Or we could have galactic politics with nuclear arms treaties which you could break but then the rest of the galaxy would hate you. That is the way I see the universe working.

I second that. Make a galactic police force to hunt down and exterminate griefers who use them, and if factions do, then it's all out war. Besides, not being able to use nuclear warheads on a planet hurts your ego. Especially since you built a massive battleship to show people that you can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A problem I thought off:
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next