Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

A problem I thought off:

Go down 
+16
hiloser12221
Last_Jedi_Standing
Laibach
Dux Tell31
Shiva
Beaner
blockman42
Danice123
Keon
Pat Best
GLaDOS
fr0stbyte124
hyperlite
The Schmetterling
ectrimble20
edvardbetsever
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
edvardbetsever

A problem I thought off: Empty
PostSubject: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:11 am

You and your friends have built a dreadnought and are going to invade an other server. But, as soon as the admin of the other server has seen the giant ship, he closes the server, resulting to that you, your friends and the players of the other server being kicked out. You rejoin your own server and, when you return to the server you were invading, the players of that server have taken over your ship.
This is something i think will happen, and people will lose their spaceships.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 am

Well, I'll be a bit detailed about this as I'm sure other people have thought this sort of thing as well.

Some negatives.

There is no 100% way to 100% grief proof this.

There will inevitably be some exploit that some person figures out that we cannot foresee.

There might be instances where ships/player-data/inventory/etc is lost due to an unforeseen event such as a server bounce back.

This is uncharted minecraft territory, we don't know everything that can and will happen.

Now, for some positives.

When a player is traveling between servers, there will be a "sudo-backup" of their data copied to a server and stored in a record log for a day or two, for obvious size reasons, you can't keep that much data for a prolonged period of time or you'll run your database out of space. What this will allow is a restore option to get a player back to where they were at the time of failure. This will probably be a manual process until such time as it can get programmed in.

When a server is found to be griefing or violating our terms of use within the FC universe (something we'll eventually write up), this server will be barred from joining the FC server list.

When a player is found to..... same as above... the player will be barred from playing on server's who choose to use out global ban list.

This kinda goes for any, and everyone who has concerns about how things will be handled.

Remember, this is a MOD, we are not making money off this, so we are in no way, shape or form responsible for your game play experience. However, I feel, and I'm sure the other developers feel that the success of this mod lies on how it is delivered and how it is supported. So with that said, we do care about the game play experience and will do everything we can practically do to make it a good one.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Well said, couldn't agree with you more. Except that if we
start banning entire planets, then we are going to lose lots of supporters.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Well said, couldn't agree with you more. Except that if we
start banning entire planets, then we are going to lose lots of supporters.

Well, the only reason I would see us completely locking out an entire server would be if the server admin is grieving in the manner mentioned by the OP or using an exploit to get ahead of the game.

I think it's something we'll want to sit down and iron out in a "To Access The FutureCraft Universe You Must Do This" kinda disclaimer and leave it open to be at our discretion.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:08 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Well, I'll be a bit detailed about this as I'm sure other people have thought this sort of thing as well.

"sudo-backup"

Soodo-backup
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 pm

hyperlite58 wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:

"sudo-backup"

Soodo-backup

pseudo, if you want to get all grammar nazi on me. sudo is linux stuff, Soodo is just bad friggen english and your avatar.... wtf man.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Sudo backup if you require permission.
Soda backup if you are thirsty.
SOPA backup if you are scared they might take the server down.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Obama vetoed SOPA.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Sofa backup when you want to lie down and watch the television.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey, I didn't get to help derail the thread this time! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Hello, I'm the new guy.

I like forums, and I like to derail threads.

Nice to meet you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I won't shake your hand though, your avatar is too creepy.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:23 pm

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahahahaha

Ok then how about this one?
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Much better.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm

over 9000 anyone?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm

What, the "Off Topic Level"?
Hey, that has enough power to fuel my ships.
Out with the ZPM. In with the OTLPM!
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

With the amount of off topic posts that occur in this forum... You could fuel an armada FOREVER
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 am

Well, to be more on topic... just have a lock-down feature so when the friends come back on they can start their assault without have the worry of someone stealing their ship while they are gone?
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 am

Yeah, let's lock our ships' airlocks! That would be fun, especially if you got stuck in one. Maybe we could even lock our force-fields! Or you could just make the ship accessible only to people who built it or are on a white-list, except when it's already been damaged so much that you could board and slaughter the crew.

Also, if we combined all our Off Topic Levels, we could afford to make seventeen Deathstars and power them to move around the Milky Way's rim nine times, then make it back to the center.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 am

Alright, so on a serious note. I do not know how disconnects and the like will be handled. I suspect that throughout alpha and beta, people will be pissed because they disconnect and their space ship flys off into oblivion.

My current plan is to tie a players spawn point back to the ship via a bed like item, however, with it moving, I don't know how feasible this will be.

This is probably something me and frost will have to work out when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 am

Maybe if it hasn't taken any damage but has no entities aboard it slows down? That'll help with the flying off into oblivion, but not sure what to do about the spawning.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 am

Players are physically connected to the ship world. As long as it is not on auto pilot on a course to the sun, I don't foresee a problem. We should have some ability to let ships be stored inside a secure location, though. We can play with that more when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 am

Didn't you say that you already had an idea for a seperate dimension to store them, or was it someone else?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 am

Sounds like something Doc said, where there is a subspace dimension completely separated from physical space. It's got some interesting applications, but I don't think it should be used for something as mundane as finding a parking spot.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 am

Lol, maybe hyperspace. But maybe it should, I don't really see what other uses it could be put to, other than a Deathstar engineering orbiting complex that warps Deathstars right next to planets once they're built.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A problem I thought off:
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next