Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

A problem I thought off:

Go down 
+16
hiloser12221
Last_Jedi_Standing
Laibach
Dux Tell31
Shiva
Beaner
blockman42
Danice123
Keon
Pat Best
GLaDOS
fr0stbyte124
hyperlite
The Schmetterling
ectrimble20
edvardbetsever
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Or we could just have it set in game rules because we all know how internet diplomacy works, 'tis the kingdom of trolls.

If anything, have it set as a server-specific option, that way people who do want to use nuclear weapons on their own turf have that option, but leaving themsevles vulnerable to enemies coming in with the same weapons.

Or, make an available planetary WMD defense network. Some system placed in a building somewhere that protects you from it, that way people have to smash the building before they can use nukes on you, which is halfway between your opinion and mine.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Bleh fine.

However this may deter new people or underpopulated servers who can't keep up with technology against the bigger servers from joining.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Yes, I guess we could have a server option, but I think that people should be able to lose their server if a huge armada comes.

Oh, how did this greifer get his giant ship? He had to work for it. Which isn't something most greifers do. And who said anything about balance of power?

I think what will happen is feudal society quickly develop. People in small servers will mine and serve in military for big server, big server protects.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Well, I do like the idea of building a deterrent. Then it would actually make sense to have ground assaults without needing any minerals from the planet.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 pm

Keon wrote:
Yes, I guess we could have a server option, but I think that people should be able to lose their server if a huge armada comes.

Oh, how did this greifer get his giant ship? He had to work for it. Which isn't something most greifers do. And who said anything about balance of power?

I think what will happen is feudal society quickly develop. People in small servers will mine and serve in military for big server, big server protects.
You would be surprised how much work griefers will go to. I've seen griefers join a server and play for days or weeks without doing anything, and then come in with an alt account and use his collected resources to tear down other people's stuff. They're sociopaths who get a sense of accomplishment from destroying other people's work, and making it more difficult to do just makes them take all the more pride in doing it.

And we are making a game in which breaking things is the goal.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm

All I'm saying is that I don't want some guy jumping into orbit and launching a nuke right at the main city of my server without even having been provoked.

Both ships and cities take time and resources to build, the difference is that you send your ships to battle knowing they'll get damaged, if not destroyed entirely, while you build your cities thinking they'll last forever and be safe.

If you've declared war to someone, then you should expect attacks and prepare your cities for it, but like I said, if someone just pops in and goes all Battlestar Galactica on you, it really sucks.
At least if it were real life you'd be dead so you can't feel bad about your awesome city reduced to nothing.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:33 pm

I mean, I do plan to buld orbital cannons on my planet like Helghan on steroids, but if there's not way to stop nukes then what's the point?

If, for all my ships and defenses, the guy can come into orbit, fire a nuke before dying to my guns and obliterate my citiy, it just really sucks.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Oh I have no doubt there will be a way to stop nukes. There has to be. But nukes should still work, even on planets, to allow for ground warfare. But yeah, blocking nukes sounds good.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

So how do you suppose little Timmy on his first day, fending off skeletons and creepers to collect enough resources to make his very first rocket, is going to defend against orbital bombardment? It's a long process getting your technology to the point where you can do the stuff you want. That's how the game is meant to be. But for advanced players, that level of harrassment is child's play. How do you solve that (and don't say feudal society, it would never happen in-game).
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Well I suppose there would be alliances. When a new system joins an alliance or a coalition, they send ships to create a blockade around his planet to prevent others from accessing it.

This could actually be an in-game feature, blockades, which defend planets but require large amounts of ships to remain in orbit around it.

Effective, but costly.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

Unless the whole thing is somehow automated, I don't see it happening. You're not going to find many people willing to sit around playing security guard so that other people can go have fun. And it's not like it's going to be on a schedule, either. A griefer would just come along when nobody is on the server and trash everything.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:51 pm

I thought it as automated, because yeah, no one wants to sit around and do nothing while others have fun.

I've got my own personal server, and I hope to be able to add it to Futurecraft's universe when it's done. But because of the small size, low population, I would be shutting it when no one's online to prevent griefers from showing up and wrecking everything while we're away.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 pm

As I recall I came up with the idea of a server admin being able to choose when to join the server community.

This could easily be abused though and would require some restrictions but I'm sure there are ways to control it.

Personally, I'd prefer to just let it be what it will be. There will be griefing, there will be crying, there will be harassing.

Its the nature of online games, I've played mmo's for years, just recently quit. I've played WoW, Rift, Eve, UO, and a random assortment of others. In every game there were griefers, there were people with no lives who only lived to annoy others with their "uber pwnage".

Fortunately, once all is said and done, I'll have a way to ban people, so we can at least narrow down the griefing community a bit. I'm all in favor of building in server plugins or even global utilities to allow people to form alliances and even military groups, companies, and communities together. It's a ton of work to make all this happen, but I think in the end, it'll prove to be worth it.

Anyway, that's my $10.23 on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm

At least in WoW I had a level 85 rogue backed with an entire rogue guild to get payback on griefers D:

Well I guess I could have an Armada and hunt them down here instead. >Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:02 am

You people do realise that when a battle is about to
commence, a big sign comes up and says "server (insert name here) wishes
to meet on the battlefield, do you accept?” If the Administrator or an Op
accepts, than the battle commences.

Same with wishing to start a war, an Administrator or Op has to enter a command
that will send this message.

This will greatly reduce the number of griefers.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:08 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
So how do you suppose little Timmy on his first day, fending off skeletons and creepers to collect enough resources to make his very first rocket, is going to defend against orbital bombardment? It's a long process getting your technology to the point where you can do the stuff you want. That's how the game is meant to be. But for advanced players, that level of harrassment is child's play. How do you solve that (and don't say feudal society, it would never happen in-game).

This will greatly reduce the number of griefers.

I'm thinking that until you craft your first
future-tech-crafting-bench (I'll think of a better name) that you can't be
attacked. This bench will be used to craft all the core blocks, mining
machines, advanced weaponry and everything they unlock in the tech tree. (Essentially,
you'll be able to craft some hand mining tools and maybe a bullet-gun without the
new bench).

After you have the bench, there may be a short period (a
week on a server, 2 on a SSP world) in which you can’t be attacked, or attack
other servers/SSP worlds yourself. Just something I picked up from those online
empire-building games.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Smallwallotext

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

Okay. I have a bit of a problem with the whole honerable warfare thing, because you can just skimp out of battles that you are too weak to handle and only fight when you will crush the opponent.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm

I trust the devs to figure out how to fix that. Maybe the'll do the second idea.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Keon wrote:
Okay. I have a bit of a problem with the whole honerable warfare thing, because you can just skimp out of battles that you are too weak to handle and only fight when you will crush the opponent.

ehh, I think they should just make it a permanent choice whether to participate in the galactic battle field

or maybe obtaining "company charters" or something to be safe from attack
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 pm

I think that each server should decide whether or not nukes can be used. If they cannot, then nukes cannot be fired in the server's airspace, and no ship from the server can carry nukes. The thing is, this is going to be a war. If some guy comes and smashes your stuff, you get some friends and go teach him a lesson about orbital bombardment. It would be a mutually assured destruction sorta thing. That said, superweapons (that is, real superweapons, not nukes. I mean Death Stars, Sun Crushers, World Devastators, Orbital Nightcloaks, Galaxy Guns, Yuuzhan Vong-style terraformers, Eclipse-class Star Destroyers, etc.) probably shouldn't be allowed.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Kitties.

Well, I think that if you have enough dedication to build something like an Eclipse, you should be able to use it. Maybe you could have a cooldown so that you wouldn't just spam lasers at everything. Same goes for the rest.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:49 pm

SilentFall wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Mutant, zombie kitties.

Well, I think that if you have enough dedication to build something like an Eclipse, you should be able to use it. Maybe you could have a cooldown so that you wouldn't just spam lasers at everything. Same goes for the rest.
You wouldn't need to spam lasers. One shot from the superlaser on an Eclipse-class Star Destroyer would destroy a planet. What else do you need?
Programing a Sun Crusher would be hard anyway, since even if stars are going to be added as something you could shoot at, it would be difficult to simulate the effects a local supernova would have on a planet.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Futurecraft will not have WMDs. It would melt PCs.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Futurecraft will not have WMDs. It would melt PCs.

That's only if you do them in detail! If you just have a thing that melts the server and turns everything into lava, you can do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A problem I thought off:   A problem I thought off: - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A problem I thought off:
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next