Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Go down 
+23
Tiel+
Laibach
r2fart2
Beaner
Last_Jedi_Standing
ACH0225
Shiva
Cool3303
VelouriumCamper
hyperlite
Apokalypse
Tehblooper
Keon
GLaDOS
edvardbetsever
ectrimble20
killerofpie
alucardtowel
Hierarch Fenway
Buggy1997123
The Schmetterling
tonyri
fr0stbyte124
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What Shape should planets be?
Cube!
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 16 ]
Sphere!
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 39 ]
Dodecahedron even though it wasn't a choice!
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 68

AuthorMessage
Apokalypse

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 pm

so i noticed a pretty large problem with the planet system. will there be enough ores in these small planets to even build spaceships.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I'll agree you can't build a space ship with the standard iron age strategies. There will be new ways of mining and there will be enough ore to comfortably get you at least into space. Getting really massive ships will require playing the field a bit, but it's still doable. Also, even at the smallest, these planets are larger than most people usually explore on their infinite worlds.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Yeah, it should take a 5 manweeks to become Tier 1 civilization or so.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 pm

You guys STILL haven't answered my question. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! (Turns into a T-Rex of Ultimate Rage and eats all of you). Though that pre-generate thing would cause HUGE lag on servers the first time they start.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm

One of the advantages of finite worlds. You can do it ahead of time.
Your questions are silly so I won't answer them. T-Rex all you want.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

No and No. Can you be a Pachycephalosaurus now?
Question 1: I can't post links, but heres the quote:
"Technically a helicopter may hover inches above your land, however it needs the owners permission to land."
And for number 2, you don't even own the minerals right under your house.
Can you specify some of the ways to get mins without mining?
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Use the FART Dr. Mackeroth that (was it him?) was talking about.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Keon wrote:

Summary: Planets pre-generate to a set size, and can't generate more chunks.
Walking loops you to the other side of the world, you eventually walk back to where you start.
Solar systems different worlds like nether
Worlds sphere from space, flat from ground.

exactly
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 pm

daman200 wrote:
Use the FART Dr. Mackeroth that (was it him?) was talking about.

Say what?

Last edited by Dr. Mackeroth on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Dr. Mackeroth use FART!
It wasn't very effective.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:32 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth use FART!
It wasn't very effective.

I demand to know what it is at once!
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Dr. Mackeroth is confused.
He hurt himself in his confusion!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth is confused.
He hurt himself in his confusion!
Do you know what happened to the last person who made me angry?
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Oh. Well then, who wanted the Fulcrum ARea Teleporter?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:33 pm

daman200 wrote:

Right,
that makes so much more sense. But I ordered the A-BED, not the FART. Could you
tell your supplier to get my order right next time, lest I pay him a visit?
With an ADWP.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't know if this has been settled, but in star wars, fighters act less like space vehicles and more like planes. I think for fighters we need a different movement style than other ships, making it more intense. I think something such as the controls used in Black Prophecy. What is everybody elses opinion?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

For those who haven't played it, how does that work?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm

w = accelerate
s = decelerate
a = strafe left
d = strafe right
q = bank left
e = bank right
joystick / mouse = turn where the nose is.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Well then, I sure as god hope we don't use Newtonian Physics. That would make using fighters hardness level

OVER 9000

Now I REALLY have to stop saying that.

Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am

Oh, and by the way Dr. Mackeroth, I ordered the A-BED, but uhh... My supplier is slightly retarded.*He actually got you A BED. On the plus side, it's king size! Very Happy

*Oh, and now this message will be censored by SOPA.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 am

daman200 wrote:
Me, I came up with the idea, I thought that F.A.R.T. would be a funny name. The idea was that when used it teleports the user to a little pocket dimension, which is the same everywhere. Literally anywhere and everywhere you can go. SP, SMP and such.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 2:14 am

daman200 wrote:
Oh, and by the way Dr. Mackeroth, I ordered the A-BED, but uhh... My supplier is slightly retarded.*He actually got you A BED. On the plus side, it's king size! Very Happy

*Oh, and now this message will be censored by SOPA.
Y.A.W. B.N.A.W.A.I.M. T.M.I.N.B.-S.D.T.I.S.
Back to top Go down
VelouriumCamper

Location : Somewhere in the gooey, gooey centre of the Earth. It's like Caramel.

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 am

Use 3D version of octagons for the planet shape with sectors of gravity that are pyramidal, extending out to each face. Then you can make the blocks visually get smaller as you go down if you want to change it so that the planets are actually circular when you are on them. To counter the problem of the blocks having to get smaller as you go down into the core, simply make the planets so large that the world ending after 64 blocks without everything becoming noticeably smaller. To counter the problem of hard edges that you would experience on a perfect cube world, have more faces than just 6 (maybe 12 or 20?) and mask the seam with mountain ranges. If you were to make a world generate broken up into 20 different "sectors" or faces with mountains generating on the sides (like how biomes generate) The seams could be less noticeable, especially if you made the edges a tad rougher and more varied.

I like the idea of having the poles surrounded by some kind of incredibly storm that acts as a portal between them on cylindrical worlds, it would work quite well for masking the ugly lines, especially if there were no loading screens... Which brings me to another point. To whoever suggested having spore style space system, it would work incredibly well but I think having loading screens between each planet exit isn't quite what they are aiming for. As I said though, it would work well, so it would be interesting to look at.

Pre-generating worlds could be done on actual world generation rather than when you get into the world. Pre-generation will then mean chunks might even load faster when exploring for the first time (although there would be the problem of long world start times). To counter the problem of the blocks having to get smaller as you go down into the core, simply make the planets so large that the world ending after 64 blocks without everything becoming noticeably smaller.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eden51devblog.tumblr.com
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 am

Polyhedrons all share the same problem of seams. When you get to the edge you are going to see little slices of block where the two faces meet. This is unavoidable. In fact the only shape where this doesn't happen is the cube itself. The cylinder was the best bet because it only has two seams to worry about, and which like you said yourself, can be masked by storms or some thematically consistent equivalent.

Worlds will necessarily be pre-generated. Otherwise we could not see them from space. I guess we could do a rough pass to generate it more quickly, but it really doesn't seem worth the effort.
Also, the world isn't really a cylinder either. It is a rectangular strip and two disks. Thus the world won't get more narrow as you get deeper and great arcs don't work. Anyone paying attention would realize that the longitude changes consistently regardless of the latitude, but that's just the sacrifice we have to make for fitting cubes to a sphere.
Back to top Go down
VelouriumCamper

Location : Somewhere in the gooey, gooey centre of the Earth. It's like Caramel.

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 am

Yeah, I knew what I said would lack any sort of substance when I re-read it after posting, I was simply theorising. The only way I could see it working is if you made the blocks varying sizes and change them from cubes to flat topped upside down pyramids (at least in rendering), but considering you seem to be mainly driven towards cylindrically rendered planets it would make that unnecessary anyways, as you implied. Also, it would mean every time a block was changed it would have to think of the height in every single placement to find the size, and would probably involve a lot of complicated math to shape the angles that would either not work in Java or not work with Minecraft at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eden51devblog.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE   SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Members' Lounge-
Jump to: