Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Alcubierre FTL Drive

Go down 
+10
kokonus
Groot
hyperlite
Last_Jedi_Standing
Caramell
fr0stbyte124
Ivan2006
Tiel+
Grand Imperial Thunder
Tau
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kokonus
kokonus

Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Wooh were going into high physics(now just tell everyone Im 16 and not that high in school even though this is my pasion).
Back to top Go down
kokonus
kokonus

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm

caltech117 wrote:
Idea:

If you take a Antigravity electronic device you can use gravity to fold space instead of exoyic matter.

Wont you need a massive device for that?
And wont the gravity go bazurg on your hardware/software?

Edit: is it bazurg or bazorg?
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:05 pm

kokonus wrote:
caltech117 wrote:
Idea:

If you take a Antigravity electronic device you can use gravity to fold space instead of exoyic matter.

Wont you need a massive device for that?
And wont the gravity go bazurg on your hardware/software?

Great!

Objective added: Discover anti-force!
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:17 pm

nope. you couldn't FOLD space with anti-gravity, only disperse it, to fold it you would have to go through the sixth dimension (and that would also be time travelling and creating an alternate universe at the same time, don't think about it too much, because it is a total mindf*ck)
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:14 pm

kokonus wrote:
I think the word you're looking for is 'berserk'.

You know, every time you guys say 'exotic matter', I'm laughing at you. If we had exotic matter, we could just teleport around instead of breaking the speed of light. This is because exotic matter, in the sense that is being used here, is magic dust that lets us break physics. It's exactly the same as a science fiction series using an imaginary element to let them do something that's not possible, and it's no more realistic.
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Prototype wrote:
Well an alcubierre drive is just exotic matter in a rugby ball (or football shape for you americans) surrounded by a doughnut of exotic matter, but it can only bend space at a certain radius, contracting the space in front and expanding the space behind, apparently NASA have done the maths and they say its entirely possible, they just have to work out what exotic matter is.

You could technically fold the universe in on itself, but you would need a hell of a lot of exotic matter, and seeing how hard it is to get anti-matter, I don't think thats going to happen.

And warp drives are the only way that our ships could possibly reach everyone elses systems within the time span that we want, and you can hit a ship which is going at warp speed, imagine what an impact a single atom of hydrogen would make on a ship travelling faster than light... so you would have to solve that problem.

Thank you for clarifying. Jeez, I'm only 14 and I know more theoretical physics than most other users here, and I can barely understand algebra.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Shoulda taken Geometry, son.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
kokonus wrote:

You know, every time you guys say 'exotic matter', I'm laughing at you. If we had exotic matter, we could just teleport around instead of breaking the speed of light. This is because exotic matter, in the sense that is being used here, is magic dust that lets us break physics. It's exactly the same as a science fiction series using an imaginary element to let them do something that's not possible, and it's no more realistic.

Considering its only a theoretical thought experiment, I wouldn't say it's realistic, or anyone else for that matter, we only say exotic matter because that's the name that's been given to the theoretical substance, because it sounds better than magic dust.

And physics has already been broken, at least our understanding of it, we currently don't fully understand how atoms actually work (what hold the nucleus together when it's Pericles of positive charge, and they should repel, plus you have charged electrons in motion, so shouldn't they be emitting radiowaves, if they do, where do they get the energy from) and so on and so on.
And nobody knows what exotic matter is or could be, it's just a placeholder for an unknown form or matter, and you couldn't use it to teleport that's an entirely different process.

And I'm turning into Sheldon cooper again...
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Tiel wrote:
Shoulda taken Geometry, son.
Advanced Pre-Algerbra all the way :3

(Oh, by the way... I'm back Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi.

Woah, my 666th post!
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Captain stufuzzycat wrote:
Hi.

Woah, my 666th post!

Soon you shall be 667! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Captain stufuzzycat wrote:

Damnit, your so mean D:
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:12 pm

It's just how I am Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 pm

671?
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Tiel wrote:
671?
Screw it, I'm not counting
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Prototype wrote:
kokonus wrote:

Considering its only a theoretical thought experiment, I wouldn't say it's realistic, or anyone else for that matter, we only say exotic matter because that's the name that's been given to the theoretical substance, because it sounds better than magic dust.

And physics has already been broken, at least our understanding of it, we currently don't fully understand how atoms actually work (what hold the nucleus together when it's Pericles of positive charge, and they should repel, plus you have charged electrons in motion, so shouldn't they be emitting radiowaves, if they do, where do they get the energy from) and so on and so on.
And nobody knows what exotic matter is or could be, it's just a placeholder for an unknown form or matter, and you couldn't use it to teleport that's an entirely different process.

Sure you could. If you can use it to go faster than light, why not teleportation or bringing the dead back to life? If you're going to postulate an unknown material that would let you do the first, why not one that lets you do the others as well? They're exactly the same thing - a random thing we've made up that would theoretically make this work. That 'theory' works equally well for whatever example you choose to give, and it's nonsense in all of them.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 am

Prototype wrote:
kokonus wrote:

And nobody knows what exotic matter is or could be, it's just a placeholder for an unknown form or matter, and you couldn't use it to teleport that's an entirely

Sure you could. If you can use it to go faster than light, why not teleportation or bringing the dead back to life? If you're going to postulate an unknown material that would let you do the first, why not one that lets you do the others as well? They're exactly the same thing - a random thing we've made up that would theoretically make this work. That 'theory' works equally well for whatever example you choose to give, and it's nonsense in all of them.

Yes, but we need much cooler names for that stuff than exotic matter, I'm thinking for the bringing the dead back antinecromium, and for the teleport ome wherethehelliseverythingium and I think we should remake exotic matter into awesome matter.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

We should name the one that makes you immortal Steve Jobsium, to rub salt on the wound Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

Why not just lolmortalsimnevergoingtodieium
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Prototype wrote:
Why not just lolmortalsimnevergoingtodieium

*&!@#%!&%@^#&*ium.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 6:31 pm

That could work
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Not crazy enough. Needs more owls as well.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 pm

More owls is either really good or really really bad. Especially if it's MOAR owls.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:47 am

Nope if it has owl in its name then it must turn people into owls.

Instead of a zombie apocalypse it would be an owlapocolapse

And that would be bad

Very bad

For everyone

Even the owls

And the people who put an empty line between each sentence

Uh-oh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alcubierre FTL Drive   Alcubierre FTL Drive - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alcubierre FTL Drive
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next