Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

How will shields work?

Go down 
+15
The Schmetterling
Ivan2006
bsb23
Grand Imperial Thunder
Laserbilly
fr0stbyte124
Cheatmaster
Keon
Last_Jedi_Standing
ACH0225
Tiel+
Pat Best
Laibach
Joel
Captain stufuzzycat
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

How will shields work? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm replying to this old thread because my original question was never answered. To anybody who is gonna rage on me for necroing, I'm doing it because I think it's still a valid question.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 pm

yeah, that topic got messed up. Anyways, if a laser hits the hull, I think you will have depressurization problems. Thus shields would be almost HP.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 am

Why don´t we create a poll in order to find out what kinds of shields the community wants.

For example
Deflects Laser and projectiles but not missiles (I am not sure how you will be able to stop projectiles but not missiles, but as far as I understood discussion it was debatted)
Deflects Laser but not projectiles and missiles (That would be a an Energy shield)
Deflects Projectiles but not laser and missiles
Deflects Projectiles and missiles but not laser
Deflects Missiles but not Projectiles and laser (Sounds a bit rediculous to me but I wrote it anyway just to have any option listed)
Different Shields for different purposes

Then there are still other questions like the Stuff about microfissure (which never got to any useful conclusion) (Do you need active shields to avoid it?)

As well there still is no decision if there will be 1 big shield for the entire ship or if the shield will be split up in different sections with individual HP
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:20 am

bsb23 wrote:
Keon wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
I vote ban he has posted nothing of any importance so far and I strongly dislike most Russians. And to make I sure I don't do the same thing I think nothing should pass through a shield unless it had permission from the captain or some kind of shield disrupter.

You will not vote. The dev will.

just messing around calm down I think its pretty safe to assume there are very few Russians who are bronies. I could care less who gets banned its just fun to mess with people.

An excellent way to get banned yourself. Don't be racist towards Russians, they don't like it.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
Keon wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
I vote ban he has posted nothing of any importance so far and I strongly dislike most Russians. And to make I sure I don't do the same thing I think nothing should pass through a shield unless it had permission from the captain or some kind of shield disrupter.

just messing around calm down I think its pretty safe to assume there are very few Russians who are bronies. I could care less who gets banned its just fun to mess with people.

An excellent way to get banned yourself. Don't be racist towards Russians, they don't like it.

I agree with the Doctor (a.k.a. Mackeroth or however he is called when you read this).
I don´t see why russians shouldn´t be bronies.
It´s not like there is no translation for mlp in Russian, neither do they still have communism. (altough that Putin-guy seems to me like he wanted to re-develop the soviet union)

Oh, and bsb23, now that CMA (or however he´s called right now) has been turned to good, you don´t really have to replace him. Please. Sad
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
Keon wrote:
bsb23 wrote:

I agree with the Doctor (a.k.a. Mackeroth or however he is called when you read this).
I don´t see why russians shouldn´t be bronies.
It´s not like there is no translation for mlp in Russian, neither do they still have communism. (altough that Putin-guy seems to me like he wanted to re-develop the soviet union)

Oh, and bsb23, now that CMA (or however he´s called right now) has been turned to good, you don´t really have to replace him. Please. Sad

Nope, The Doctor is correct. You must have the gift of foresight!
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 am

This thread was bumped specifically to discuss shields, because last time it died after going off topic.

This subject is shields, not CMA or bronies.

Ivan2006 wrote:
Why don´t we create a poll in order to find out what kinds of shields the community wants.

For example
Deflects Laser and projectiles but not missiles (I am not sure how you will be able to stop projectiles but not missiles, but as far as I understood discussion it was debatted)
Deflects Laser but not projectiles and missiles (That would be a an Energy shield)
Deflects Projectiles but not laser and missiles
Deflects Projectiles and missiles but not laser
Deflects Missiles but not Projectiles and laser (Sounds a bit rediculous to me but I wrote it anyway just to have any option listed)
Different Shields for different purposes

Then there are still other questions like the Stuff about microfissure (which never got to any useful conclusion) (Do you need active shields to avoid it?)

As well there still is no decision if there will be 1 big shield for the entire ship or if the shield will be split up in different sections with individual HP
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 10:18 am

How 'bout shields deflect EVERYTHING until they are overloaded?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 am

I think shields should turn everything that passes through them into.... Cake. That's right, you heard it here.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am

I apologize, I was just messing around, hopefully you can ignore that, I will do my best to stop making jokes. And on-topic I am in favor of as many option as possible, energy shields if you except to be attacked by energy weapons, projectile deflector if not. Some shields should have a radius which mattering on the shields ability should be variable so occasionally multiple shields may be necessary. A hull shield would also be nice but should be difficult to acquire.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm

I say why not to take the best of all worlds ? The static shields I described in my tech tree block all incoming objects but are quite squishy. Other shields allow slow objects to pass ... It is possible to have two shields but it should be energetically expensive.

BTW another question bout how shields will work - recharge. I don't see use in a shield if it immediately recharges after being destroyed just to be destroyed again. Delayed recharge will do the same just ... well slower. I think that after being overloaded shields will recharge immediately but will not be deployed until a curtain % of energy is back.
Back to top Go down
small502
small502

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 pm

I say shields should allow ballistic weapons but not laser and particle beams. Ships should be able to have small, weak lasers that fire at ballistics that come through the shield. I think Gratuitous Space Battles had something like this on the bigger ships. I think that when a generator is overloaded it should either violently explode and damage whatevers around it or just have it fizzle out, making it a lot weaker next time its used
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Iv121 wrote:
I say why not to take the best of all worlds ? The static shields I described in my tech tree block all incoming objects but are quite squishy. Other shields allow slow objects to pass ... It is possible to have two shields but it should be energetically expensive.

BTW another question bout how shields will work - recharge. I don't see use in a shield if it immediately recharges after being destroyed just to be destroyed again. Delayed recharge will do the same just ... well slower. I think that after being overloaded shields will recharge immediately but will not be deployed until a curtain % of energy is back.

Your Idea of recharging is... well... Perfect!
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
I think shields should turn everything that passes through them into.... Cake. That's right, you heard it here.
We don´t need any Portal references, stupid trollings or plain randomness here.
Back to top Go down
Tyranid_Player
Tyranid_Player

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 am

Shields Should Simply said reducing every movement to an minimum (including frequency movement and Temperature movement) It would still allow that (relative)cold and slow objects pass and it would explain why teleporters don´t work through shields.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will shields work?   How will shields work? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How will shields work?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2