Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

personal Armor ideas

Go down 
+5
Beaner
Keon
Cool3303
ectrimble20
Tehblooper
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tehblooper
Tehblooper

personal Armor ideas Empty
PostSubject: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am

I think personal armor would be a good addition to this mod.

Light armor: Resistant against bullets but not lasers.

Med armor: Bullets can not penetrate this armor and it has a resistance against lasers under 10 damage points. (Lasers 10 damage points and above will do normal damage)

Heavy armor: Bullets can not penetrate. Lasers below 10 damage points cannot penetrate. Higher resistance to lasers. Low resistance to plasma beams.

Last edited by Tehblooper on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

Do you mean like armor-plating for ships? or are you talking about personal armor?

Either way, we've got plans for the personal armor, I don't recall what we had planned to do for ship armor, I somehow think that was tied to the ship core's setup, but I could be wrong. Mr Frost was working on that last I recall.
Back to top Go down
Tehblooper
Tehblooper

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 am

ok i fixed it i meant personal armor.
Back to top Go down
Cool3303
Recruit
Recruit
Cool3303

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:01 pm

I think Lasers should give a heat effect which damages you over time
I mean it is light if you got a white or polished Armor it would be reflected or you could put mirror things on it which reflect the laser but break faster than the rest of th armor
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm

I think lasers would most likely be in the high energy spectrum, as it can hurt more. (Gamma). However, it might also be a pulse of visible light bright enough to blind you and melt metal. (Mirror armor.)
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Or... wait for it... here it comes...

RADIATION GUNS!!!

They mutate your enemy into slimes, which short-circuits anything mechanical near the slime (e.g. the mech it was driving)
and then the slime dies shortly afterward due to radiation poisoning. Wouldn't that be fun?!

Anyway, I think lasers should hurt you no matter what, due to being super heated light beams of death.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Laser's won't be the lasers we're familiar with here on good ol planet earth.

I'm thinking the lasers here will be plasma based, i.e super charged particles or some other wacky sci-fi thing, not really light, light is lame.

So anyway, you get hit by said plasma beam (think star war's kinda lazers) and it does a certain amount of damage to you. If you're wearing an alloy or charged (shielded) armor it will absorb most if not all of the damage but damage the suit or shield in the process. Once your armor is down to 0, it breaks. Thinking about retooling armor though, I'll address more issues on that when I get around to working on armor again.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Text? What text?

Oh, Star Wars lasers? Yeah, those ones that don't go at the speed of light. In that case, mirror and glass plating would be totally useless. We'd better get the heat absorbing and dispersing qualities up in our ships. And armour, of course.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 pm

SilentFall wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Text? What text?

Oh, Star Wars lasers? Yeah, those ones that don't go at the speed of light. In that case, mirror and glass plating would be totally useless. We'd better get the heat absorbing and dispersing qualities up in our ships. And armour, of course.

Well, light lasers are insufficient to actually do damage and as you pointed out, are easily countered with a friggen make-up compact.

If I we're to do lasers, they would be thermal lasers, google what the army currently has for anti-missile defense, you'll find thermal lasers. They use the gama radiation stuff and you can't see them.

Now that's all fine and dandy, but this is a video game, we want to be able to see what we're shooting at and the person being shot at wants to see it coming. That's why I'm thinking plasma style lasers are the way to go. They don't need to be 100% true to life, they could do thermal or physical damage regardless, they just need to be fun.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm

SilentFall wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Text? What text?

Mmm.

Well, deuterium fluoride lasers are pretty good, and borrowing from wikipedia;

"On March 18, 2009 Northrop Grumman claimed that its engineers in Redondo Beach had successfully built and tested an electrically powered solid state laser capable of producing a 100-kilowatt beam, powerful enough to destroy an airplane or a tank. According to Brian Strickland, manager for the United States Army's Joint High Power Solid State Laser program, an electrically powered laser is capable of being mounted in an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle because it requires much less space for its supporting equipment than a chemical laser. However the source of such a large electrical power in a mobile application remains unclear."

Now that last part... that's where our energy generators come in. For hand-held lasers, we'd probably use plasma, but you might be able to get something akin to a Spartan laser from Halo if you charged a type of of plasma launcher in a ship's reactor. Sounds fun.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
SilentFall wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Text? What text?

Well, light lasers are insufficient to actually do damage and as you pointed out, are easily countered with a friggen make-up compact.

Oh goody, let's do lasers that way, I'll own everyone.

SilentFall wrote:
Now that last part... that's where our energy generators come in. For hand-held lasers, we'd probably use plasma, but you might be able to get something akin to a Spartan laser from Halo if you charged a type of of plasma launcher in a ship's reactor. Sounds fun.

Spartan laser was actually a handheld MAC.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Shiva wrote:

Spartan laser was actually a handheld MAC.

... You mean that giant red laser beam is actually a chunk of metal that shoots at only a fraction of light speed?
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 pm

M6 Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle

"The M6 Spartan Laser is a man-portable, shoulder-fired, directed energy weapon used by the UNSC."

"It remains unclear what exact energy is fired from the M6, while some have suggested that it fires a chemical laser; however, a gas or chemical laser does not produce a powerful energy output, and also require large amounts of highly volatile and toxic chemicals to function, which are expended as the weapon fires. The weapon seems to be only powered by a rechargeable battery pack, hinting that it may be a Solid-State Laser or Free Electron Laser, which does not require a constant source of a chemical gain medium."
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:27 pm

According to Hollywood:

Speed of Light= 186,282 miles per second.

Speed of Lasers= 44 miles per hour.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Well, in laser-tag they need to go slower so you can go duck under the bullet as it goes past.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Well yeah, by the true definition of a laser, it would be an instant hit, no avoiding it kinda deal. Obviously something that is made of light is going to move at the speed of light.

We don't need that, we want to actually be able to pew pew and watch as a beam descends upon our target, so I think we'll use the hollywood speed of light.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 am

Danice123 wrote:
M6 Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle

"The M6 Spartan Laser is a man-portable, shoulder-fired, directed energy weapon used by the UNSC."

"It remains unclear what exact energy is fired from the M6, while some have suggested that it fires a chemical laser; however, a gas or chemical laser does not produce a powerful energy output, and also require large amounts of highly volatile and toxic chemicals to function, which are expended as the weapon fires. The weapon seems to be only powered by a rechargeable battery pack, hinting that it may be a Solid-State Laser or Free Electron Laser, which does not require a constant source of a chemical gain medium."

Oops. I was quoting the Stanchion, not the Spartan.

At any rate...

MAC Muzzle Velocity: 30,000 m/s

S-MAC Muzzle Velocity: 120,000 m/s

That's more than enough asskick for any and all purposes.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:15 am

120,000 m/s translates into 432,000 KM/HR which translates into 268,272 miles per hour...

I don't think it's fast enough. It would take it like an hour and 10 minutes or so to hit the moon from earth.

Interesting fact about light. The nano second, is the time it takes light to travel 1 foot, it's also the lowest (and fastest) measurable scale of time. This is why computers only measure down to nano seconds.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 am

Sorry if I'm mistaken Shiva, but knowing you, is it safe to assume that the S-MAC stands for Shiva-MAC?

Because you should see the MAC I'm putting in the Futurecraft Flag-Ship. 9 blocks in diameter, 400 blocks long: it's going to blow other ships to pieces!
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 am

S-MAC stands for Super MAC, a la the Earth Orbital Defense Stations...

Shiva MAC Muzzle Velocity: 68km/s
Shiva MA Cannon Barrel Length: 40+blocks
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

We have a flagship? Is it on the server or not?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

What, where it can get griefed? Nope. It's on one of my SSP worlds
(to be specific, the one with my other ships). It's still under construction.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 pm

I sure hope I can be a crewman. And doesn't some form of advanced Kevlar take its rightful place here?

Wait, why were we talking about MACs? BOOM! Back on topic. First time I did that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: personal Armor ideas   personal Armor ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

personal Armor ideas
Page 1 of 1