Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Early release of new blocks?

Go down 
+20
Dux Tell31
superninjakiwi
Danice123
Talon
Captain stufuzzycat
Commander Error
Laibach
Tiel+
Avenger_7
Tyranid_Player
Caramell
Ivan2006
Heeltripper
hyperlite
Last_Jedi_Standing
The Schmetterling
ACH0225
fr0stbyte124
Keon
torrentialAberration
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Tiel wrote:
Why did you move your post..?
Because I'm trying to add to it after I've posted to address everything but all of you post too damn fast.
Back to top Go down
Dux Tell31
Recruit
Recruit
Dux Tell31

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:38 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Why did you move your post..?
Because I'm trying to add to it after I've posted to address everything but all of you post too damn fast.

Problem?
Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Trollface

Last edited by Dux Tell31 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Tiel wrote:
Spoiler:

Cobblestone and smoothstone are far too common, no offense of course.

In this way there's a margin of error, ala some regions can have higher Ore concentrations and be fought over as strategic assets, instead of everyone being able to get metals every time they mine. In my method true Minecraft mining can thrive alongside the ostensible grand machines to assist in the construction of ships.

But in any case, is it agreed conventional Minecraft-style ore distribution isn't feasible for the scale of the mod?

Stone might have a 1/100 chance of producing any useful material, and there could be pockets of richer stone. This seems like something that could be hammered out and sanded down in the first few updates.
Back to top Go down
eazymc
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Ok, well, since I'm going to program this for you guys here's what I'm thinking for starters.

Copper (eventually for wires?)
Iron (same as it is)
Aluminum
Steel (smelt iron and carbon)
Carbon (drop similar to coal only is greater quantities per block, like 2-5 drops per block)
Fibre-Reinforced Steel (smelt steel with carbon fibre)
Carbon Fibre (for now, crafted from carbon, eventually crafted in a special furnace)
FTL Core (crafted block, just for decoration now)
Tungsten (modifier block)
Nickle (modifier block)
Hardened Steel (Tungsten/Steel/Nickle alloy)
Titanium
Hardened Alloy (Hardened Steel mixed with Titanium)

I will not be adding entities (carpets/rugs) right now, this is something I'm planning to knock out in a day or two to give you guys more selection when playing on your build worlds.

ALSO, I will be making this for the current version of minecraft and I will be releasing it for both client and server.

If you want a specific graphic for any of the items listed above, please let me know and I'll see what I can do, like I said, my paint skills are par to a 5 year old so don't expect anything fancy. ALSO since I like making also bold, I'll be releasing blocks as well as ores along side the craftables so anyone playing survival can mine them and what not, this will allow me to get some experience playing with drop and spawn rates of minerals as well.

Anything else before I 100% finalize my list?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Why not have a Mineral Extractor machine, that takes, say, a random fourth of an ore from, say, gravel, and a 32th of an ore from cobble, and a 64th from dirt.
Back to top Go down
Dux Tell31
Recruit
Recruit
Dux Tell31

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Why not have a Mineral Extractor machine, that takes, say, a random fourth of an ore from, say, gravel, and a 32th of an ore from cobble, and a 64th from dirt.

Ah NO, Cuz that takes TIME, and eazymc's just throwing us a bone at the moment.

However I do like bones. Razz
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Spoiler:

Uranium and *corundum (*clear and very strong, basically replaces glass)

Last edited by catsonmeth on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Dux Tell31 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
Tiel wrote:
I think what'd be rather cool would be to have only one 'ore block' called Ore that has the appearance of an iron ore block. Once mined you couldn't actually do anything with it, but rather be forced to smelt it down which would yield a random selection of metals and alloys, depending on what tier of smelter you have (ie, a furnace is more likely to give you iron ore or gold, as opposed to a lategame Carbon-smelter which could probably net more space oriented metals such as steel)

From there, the smelted ore could either be used to craft the tools appropriate to the smelter's output, or it could be refined to create stronger variants, ala Hardened Steel or Aluminum Armor. Just a thought.

This way there won't be the equivalent of cavemen running off and building battleships, nor would higher tech factions be forced to take on ore they can't feasibly use.

I think that's too far away from minecraft. Normal cobblestone or smoothstone could serve a similar purpose to your ore block, with different levels of extraction machines that yield rarer ores more often.

Cobblestone and smoothstone are far too common, no offense of course.

In this way there's a margin of error, ala some regions can have higher Ore concentrations and be fought over as strategic assets, instead of everyone being able to get metals every time they mine. In my method true Minecraft mining can thrive alongside the ostensible grand machines to assist in the construction of ships.

But in any case, is it agreed conventional Minecraft-style ore distribution isn't feasible for the scale of the mod?

Probally, but with the oodles of mineable blocks we're adding, tones of space is going to be used. So if we increases how common the ore blacks are, its only going to be by a tiny bit.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Could you please rephrase that?

But I'll just assume and make a response that you can correct later Razz

My idea with just the one ore block is that they can conceive all the other necessary or unnecessary metals based on what type of furnace they're smelted in. This allows a fair distribution of them as opposed to just having chunks of a world being 98% different types of ore blocks. Then, there could also be a demand for craftsman who'd refine the metal gleaned from the one ore block into heightened versions of it, which would allow for more advanced smelters, making for a fully player-driven tech tree and economy.

Basically, to clarify, you'd:

1. Mine an Ore Block, be it by pickaxe or mining machine/spaceship
  2. Smelt it down in a matter of your choosing, depending on what alloys you want from your haul
  3. The engine then calculates which percentage of your load is each type of ore, with the type of smelter you used being a prime factor.
  4. j00 now has t3h metals!
  5. From there, you can combine the alloys into blocks to make armor, etc, and then refine them to make them stronger.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

TerraFirmaCraft does this. It is awesome.

Awesome and difficult.

Last edited by fr0stbyte124 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

eazymc wrote:
Ok, well, since I'm going to program this for you guys here's what I'm thinking for starters.

Iron (same as it is)
Aluminum
Carbon (drop similar to coal only is greater quantities per block, like 2-5 drops per block)
Carbon Fibre (for now, crafted from carbon, eventually crafted in a special furnace)
Nickle (modifier block)
Titanium

I will not be adding entities (carpets/rugs) right now, this is something I'm planning to knock out in a day or two to give you guys more selection when playing on your build worlds.

ALSO, I will be making this for the current version of minecraft and I will be releasing it for both client and server.

If you want a specific graphic for any of the items listed above, please let me know and I'll see what I can do, like I said, my paint skills are par to a 5 year old so don't expect anything fancy. ALSO since I like making also bold, I'll be releasing blocks as well as ores along side the craftables so anyone playing survival can mine them and what not, this will allow me to get some experience playing with drop and spawn rates of minerals as well.

If you're adding blocks for the sake of future features, then the method of obtaining and modifying ores has a great weight in what makes the cut. I'm assuming you have a system based on your predetermined choices for modifier blocks, so let's hear it?
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Tiel wrote:
eazymc wrote:

Iron (same as it is)
Aluminum
Nickle (modifier block)
Titanium

If you're adding blocks for the sake of future features, then the method of obtaining and modifying ores has a great weight in what makes the cut. I'm assuming you have a system based on your predetermined choices for modifier blocks, so let's hear it?

This block mod could be used as a platform to test our different ideas of mining and use of ores, or any other simple component of FC.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

I pulled some textures from some sci fi texpacks to act as placeholders for the blocks

Here.

They're named according to what suits each material you cited the best.
Back to top Go down
eazymc
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Tiel wrote:

Alright, basically this is how I'm envisioning the world of mining in FutureCraft (or at least in this little builder pack).

Basic ores stay how they are, iron being the "core" mineral for other, strong metals. Iron by itself is weak and rather frail as it is in the real world.

Tier 1 space ship stuff will be Steel. Iron and Carbon (carbon will be in an abundance) will be combined in a crafting table (this will later change to w/e we make for specialized mineral combining) at a 3 carbon to 1 iron ore ratio. This will yield 3 steel nuggets. Since I know ships are going to be huge, we'll need lots of materials and we don't want to spend weeks mining just to build a hull so Steel nuggets will be smelted down to create 9 steel blocks, this again is just to make obtaining materials easy at this point and these numbers will be tweaked as we progress.

Steel blocks will be the main building block for early T1 ships.

Once technology progresses, Steel can be upgraded by adding modifier blocks to it. For now all this will be incorporated into the current crafting table, but here's what I'm thinking.

1 Steel Nugget + 1 Carbon Fiber Sheet = 9 Fiber-reinforced Steel Blocks (FRS for short)
1 Steel Nugget + 1 Tungsten Ore + 1 Nickle Ore = 9 Hardened Steel Blocks
1 Titanium Ore + 8 Hardened Steel Blocks = 9 Hardened Alloy Blocks

This is kind of my short term, expandable idea for the build pack.

If there's interest I could probably easily build in a dye system (like green dye yields green tinted steel or something) but this will be a separate release since I'd have to come up with graphics and what not as well as program different colors for each block.

How does that sound for starters?

Quote :

I'll add in the corundum and make it craft-able via sand and carbon fiber or something until we have more content and what not.

Everyone try to remember that w/e I release will just be a build pack and there is no guarantee that all the content will make it into the full version.

Last edited by eazymc on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

eazymc wrote:

Quote :

I'll add in the corundum and make it craft-able via sand and carbon fiber or something until we have more content and what not.

Everyone try to remember that w/e I release will just be a build pack and there is no guarantee that all the content will make it into the full version.

It should be craftable with an aluminum block, maybe 8 ingots in a square, or just put an aluminum ingot/block in a furnace, as it is aluminum oxide. Maybe you could add gasses in a later version of this Builder's Pack?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Crafting machine, need in that case.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Why not secondary ores, like hematite for iron, that drop tons of the metal. Say 1 hematite ore drops 5-7 hematite clumps that can be smelted down to one iron ore each.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Tiel wrote:
Crafting machine, need in that case.

Not for the builder's pack, maybe if someone makes a more in-depth premod that has working machines 'n' stuff in it...
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:40 pm

that would be a nice chunk of meat to add to the bone, but rght now i want the thing he's suggesting.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Sounds awesome, would you make it Bukkit compatible (at least for now), so Avenger and other people could use it on a normal server?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Captain stufuzzycat wrote:
Sounds awesome, would you make it Bukkit compatible (at least for now), so Avenger and other people could use it on a normal server?

Easier said then done, afaik.
Back to top Go down
eazymc
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Captain stufuzzycat wrote:

I'll look into it, it won't be Bukkit compatible for V1 though.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 pm

This is a building pack. It's for the short term, so people can build ships more accurately. I would recommend not even giving the materials names at this point, because it won't affect the pack and it will provoke this kind of argument. You should make a pack of nothing but absolutely basic blocks, basically clones of cobblestone, that have names like 'Hull Material #7', and interesting textures, and that's it. People can use them right now to build ships, and not be under the impression that this content in any way affects or indicates what Futurecraft will be.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:27 pm

I know, but Bukkit compatibility would be a handy feature to have in later versions.
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
This is a building pack. It's for the short term, so people can build ships more accurately. I would recommend not even giving the materials names at this point, because it won't affect the pack and it will provoke this kind of argument. You should make a pack of nothing but absolutely basic blocks, basically clones of cobblestone, that have names like 'Hull Material #7', and interesting textures, and that's it. People can use them right now to build ships, and not be under the impression that this content in any way affects or indicates what Futurecraft will be.
did you not read? he sai dhe was crappy at textures, yet what you are suggesting basically is more textures of cobble. let him do what he will.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 pm

superninjakiwi wrote:

did you not read? he sai dhe was crappy at textures,

Tiel wrote:
I pulled some textures from some sci fi texpacks to act as placeholders for the blocks

Here.

They're named according to what suits each material you cited the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early release of new blocks?   Early release of new blocks? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early release of new blocks?
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next