Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?

Go down 
+27
torrentialAberration
Julo
Cheatmaster
nick248
Laibach
Grand Imperial Thunder
Happyman
Potato
blockman42
Hierarch Fenway
Ivan2006
Laserbilly
Emperor_Revan
Tiel+
dimitriye98
Keon
Captain stufuzzycat
scout37
Avenger_7
Pat Best
superninjakiwi
ACH0225
Brz99
Last_Jedi_Standing
Iv121
Commander Kobialka
The Schmetterling
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 am

nice, what's with the arrow/house shaped things on the tracks at the bottom?
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 am

Has anyone mentioned the Halo installations yet? I don't really know if they could be considered ships, but they can move under their own power and, well, they're huge rings that can wipe an entire star system of life.
Back to top Go down
Julo
Recruit
Recruit
Julo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 am

Laserbilly wrote:
nice, what's with the arrow/house shaped things on the tracks at the bottom?

This is a magnetic and mechanic fixing mechanism
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm

scout37 wrote:
The answer has no competition.

Spoiler:
Name: UNSC Infinity
Affiliation: United Nations Space Corps
Length: Over 3 kilometers
Mission: Above-top-secret deeps space exploration assignment. Involves the continuation and traing of the Spartan Program.
Non-Crew Personnel: Spartan Mk. IV Special Forces Soldiers.
Equipment: Mjolnir Armor, Light weight variant.

Umm, Didn't this get blow up by a covenant carrier? Not even a Supercarrier...
If I'm right the UNSC Infinity II is in Halo 4, though, but by the looks of that it gets blown up too...

[avoding double post]

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Sabre10
The Sabre Experimental UNSC Fightership.
It is featured in the Battle of Reach, and a single wing took down an entire fleet of Covenant fighters.
One can take on a ship more than twice it's size, and come out unscathed.
It has what I believe to be two HMGs on the front, and Two rocket pods on the wings.
A raider stands no chance against these beasts.
As far as fighters go, it is the best. But I don't know about bigger ships...

Last edited by Eliuser12 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : avoid double post)
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree with the Saber, but do any of the books talk about the saber or was it made just for the game?
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

hyperlite wrote:
I agree with the Saber, but do any of the books talk about the saber or was it made just for the game?

It was in the book "The Fall of Reach", just like the Sepraph, or so I believe... I believe it was first put into vision in Halo: Reach though. I haven't actually read the books. But, I do know all about the lore. That includes veichles, important characters, weapons, etc. I was a real fanatic, But Reach was sort of dissapointing as far as balance, gametypes, and multiplayer in general go.

Did you know that a spartan's shield takes more damage from plasma weapons? That an elite's takes less from bullets? That is to say, smaller bullets, like in invasion. I think this is the main thing that bugged me. The MG does less damage to an elite than the PR does to a spartan. I don't know about other weapons, but I know that one is true, and it really bugs me.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Going back to "The Old Man": They spent 53,000 years building it. Only to have it blow up 28 years later. That is just sad.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Eliuser12 wrote:
scout37 wrote:

Spoiler:
Name: UNSC Infinity
Affiliation: United Nations Space Corps
Length: Over 3 kilometers
Mission: Above-top-secret deeps space exploration assignment. Involves the continuation and traing of the Spartan Program.
Non-Crew Personnel: Spartan Mk. IV Special Forces Soldiers.
Equipment: Mjolnir Armor, Light weight variant.

Umm, Didn't this get blow up by a covenant carrier? Not even a Supercarrier...
If I'm right the UNSC Infinity II is in Halo 4, though, but by the looks of that it gets blown up too...

[avoding double post]

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Sabre10
The Sabre Experimental UNSC Fightership.
It is featured in the Battle of Reach, and a single wing took down an entire fleet of Covenant fighters.
One can take on a ship more than twice it's size, and come out unscathed.
It has what I believe to be two HMGs on the front, and Two rocket pods on the wings.
A raider stands no chance against these beasts.
As far as fighters go, it is the best. But I don't know about bigger ships...

There is only one UNSC Infinity, and it got destroyed by what many think is the Didact.
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 pm

[quote="Tiel"][quote="Eliuser12"]
scout37 wrote:

-le snip-

There is only one UNSC Infinity, and it got destroyed by what many think is the Didact.

Have you seen the Halo 4 Trailer, by curiosity?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I made a post about it in Offtopic a month back.
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Hmm. What ship was that, then, as I'm too lazy to go to my XBOX to see what it is?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

The ship crashing was the UNSC Infinity.
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Tiel wrote:
The ship crashing was the UNSC Infinity.

Oh. *facepalm*

In the newer trailer, right? Where the ship without weapons is sent out to explore?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

The UNSC Infinity was staffed with a contingent of the next generation of the SPARTAN program; the IVs. Doctor Halsey was also assigned to the project, a massive human vessel constructed in tandem with Forerunner technology. The ship was to serve as a training ground for these Spartans, as well as a secret weapon should the Arbiter be killed. I can only assume they accidentally stumbled upon this world on a form of shakedown cruise, where Forerunner defense platforms downed the spacecraft and once on the ground, killed most of the personnel within. They had weapons, but just it can be presumed that the Forerunner installation disabled those as well.
Back to top Go down
Eliuser12
Eliuser12

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Tiel wrote:
The UNSC Infinity was staffed with a contingent of the next generation of the SPARTAN program; the IVs. Doctor Halsey was also assigned to the project, a massive human vessel constructed in tandem with Forerunner technology. The ship was to serve as a training ground for these Spartans, as well as a secret weapon should the Arbiter be killed. I can only assume they accidentally stumbled upon this world on a form of shakedown cruise, where Forerunner defense platforms downed the spacecraft and once on the ground, killed most of the personnel within. They had weapons, but just it can be presumed that the Forerunner installation disabled those as well.

Actually, here's a quote from the speaker:

"UNSC Ship from the past, now in brighter futures... stripped of its weapons... will go out to explore..."

That's not exact, But I know he said the weapons were either disabled or stripped off of the ship.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:20 pm

He said that for the first time in over 60 years a UNSC ship would be built solely for exploration.
Back to top Go down
Julo
Recruit
Recruit
Julo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Mackeroth? wrote:
Going back to "The Old Man": They spent 53,000 years building it. Only to have it blow up 28 years later. That is just sad.

This ship is from Perry Rhodan they got a Wiki but only in german.
But the article is too long to write it down here.
There is written what you want to know.

Search on Google: Perrypedia
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 1:30 am

I could have appreciated the effort 343 has put into Halo 4 if they hadn't employed Karen Traviss to write Glasslands, which was a major disappointment. As for the Infinity, I don't think it's the greatest ship in science fiction, or even in the Halo universe, but I will try to withhold my judgments until the game is out and further information is released about it.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:07 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
I could have appreciated the effort 343 has put into Halo 4 if they hadn't employed Karen Traviss to write Glasslands, which was a major disappointment. As for the Infinity, I don't think it's the greatest ship in science fiction, or even in the Halo universe, but I will try to withhold my judgments until the game is out and further information is released about it.
Oh, come on. Traviss is a good author. She wrote the Republic Commando series.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

It's not that she's not a good author, it's just that she changed the personalities of already well-established characters, basically demolishing the characters that Eric Nylund and other authors had developed and stitching them back together with bits in the wrong places. A good third of the novel was just bashing Halsey as the group walked around in the shield world.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 6:10 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

It's not that she's not a good author, it's just that she changed the personalities of already well-established characters, basically demolishing the characters that Eric Nylund and other authors had developed and stitching them back together with bits in the wrong places. A good third of the novel was just bashing Halsey as the group walked around in the shield world.

Ah, this is a nice way of putting it. Thank you for your indepth review of Glasslands, cats.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Cheatmaster wrote:
I wondered why they called it Enterprise and collected a few possibilities

1.They always bought the Ship to the Enter-Prise and were to lazy to seek an other name
2. There was an President named USSAIN.ENTERPRISE
3.The Space Corps Leader is a Woman and always wanted a ship called Sale-Price but the committee didnt allow it and because of that she named 10 ships Enterprise
4This Name is part of an great joke which cant be understand from us
5.The reasons for naming a ship Enterprise are hidden in Area 51

What do you think about it?

The first space shuttle was also called the "Enterprise". The name "Enterprise" was created by Star Trek before it was even made though. THOSE TROLLS AT NASA TAKING NAMES FROM ONE OF THE LEAST POPULAR SCIENCE FICTION SHOWS OF THE TIME. Voyager is better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Kobialka wrote:
Cheatmaster wrote:

1.They always bought the Ship to the Enter-Prise and were to lazy to seek an other name
3.The Space Corps Leader is a Woman and always wanted a ship called Sale-Price but the committee didnt allow it and because of that she named 10 ships Enterprise

The first space shuttle was also called the "Enterprise". The name "Enterprise" was created by Star Trek before it was even made though. THOSE TROLLS AT NASA TAKING NAMES FROM THE MOST POPULAR SCIENCE FICTION SHOWS OF THE TIME. Voyager is worse.

It's all Star Trek. You can't really say one series is better than the other because it's all from the same franchise.
Back to top Go down
Julo
Recruit
Recruit
Julo

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 pm

[quote="Tiel"]
Kobialka wrote:
Cheatmaster wrote:

The first space shuttle was also called the "Enterprise". The name "Enterprise" was created by Star Trek before it was even made though. THOSE TROLLS AT NASA TAKING NAMES FROM THE MOST POPULAR SCIENCE FICTION SHOWS OF THE TIME. Voyager is worse.

No. In 1938 there was an Aircraft carrier which has the also the Name Enterprise
Proof[/spoiler]
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 am

[quote="Julo"]
Tiel wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
Cheatmaster wrote:

No. In 1938 there was an Aircraft carrier which has the also the Name Enterprise
Proof[/spoiler]

Enterprise is an old ship name. First used in 1775. Enterprise VII, the one to which you are referring, had, arguably, the best combat record of any US carrier during WWII. Enterprise VIII (currently active) was the first aircraft carrier powered by nuclear fission. She is also the longest naval vessel in the world, and has been active for the longest time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next