Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?

Go down 
+27
torrentialAberration
Julo
Cheatmaster
nick248
Laibach
Grand Imperial Thunder
Happyman
Potato
blockman42
Hierarch Fenway
Ivan2006
Laserbilly
Emperor_Revan
Tiel+
dimitriye98
Keon
Captain stufuzzycat
scout37
Avenger_7
Pat Best
superninjakiwi
ACH0225
Brz99
Last_Jedi_Standing
Iv121
Commander Kobialka
The Schmetterling
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Empty
PostSubject: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:40 am

Howdy folks! I want you to nominate your favourite ship from any science fiction movie you've seen, or game you played. Books don't count unless you have a cannon picture. I know this is a bit similar to the topic "sci-fi franchises", but this one is more specific.

Each submission must have:

A picture.

Technical specifications.

Any notable battles, voyages, or historical info about it and who made it.

Anything else you wish to say.

I'll start with my entry:

Atlantis! (Of course)

Picture:

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? AtlantisOverM35-117
Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? AShieldSpace

Information:

Manufacturer
Ancients

Class
City-ship

Technical specifications
Height/depth: 800+ meters (I usually see it as between 3km to 8km in diameter)
Engine units: Stardrive, Wormhole drive (allowed instantaneous travel between galaxies)
Hyperdrive system: Intergalactic
Power output: Massive (I don't know, somewhere in the terawatts of power)
Power plant: Zero Point Module, Solar panels (optional), Mobile drilling platform (optional), Lightning rods (optional, if necessary and available), Naquadah generators (Installed by the Atlantis expedition)
Shielding: City-ship shielding system (regarded as one of the most powerful shields ever created)
Sensor systems: Long-range (galactic wide), Short-range, Biometrics (internal, essentially)
Targeting systems: Mental (Drones)
Control systems: Control chair, Control consoles
Navigation system: Ancient star map
Avionics: Mental
Countermeasures: Cloak (Developed by the Atlantis Expedition),Failsafe mechanism (Developed by Janus)
Armament: Drone weapons, Railguns (Installed by the Atlantis Expedition)
Complement: 20+ Gateships (Puddle Jumpers), F-302s (Installed by the Atlantis Expedition)
Passengers: Hundreds of thousands
Cargo capacity: Millions of tons
Other systems: Database, Grounding station, Lockout device, Long-range transmitter, Stargate, Stasis pods, Transporters, Life Support Systems

Affiliation: Lanteans, Tau'ri (humans).

I could give you the history, but it would take too long. Essentially: it was built on Earth, flew to another galaxy and stayed there for several million years (who knows why they didn't bother replacing it with something more advanced!). About 10,000 years ago, the Ancient (Atlantians/ Alterans) abandoned it, due to their war with the Wraith.

Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:21 pm

The Avatar from Eve Online. It's 14 KM long. I tried to build a 1/20'th version in Minecraft, starting with a half sphere at the front created with MCedit that went from bedrock to world height limit. I decided to quit when i discovered how laggy it would be to stack that many blocks at once for the long shaft with worldedit. All of these are pictures taken in-game

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Avatar

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Dysno1

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Eptitan_avatar
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Guess my opinion Smile (And I'm serious about the guessing )
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Iv121 wrote:

I guess you think the Avatar would blow up the banhammer with the first firing of it's special weapon at the front.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Kobialka wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

I guess you think the Avatar would blow up the banhammer with the first firing of it's special weapon at the front.

Nah, about the geatest ship in science fiction ...
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Executor-class Star Dreadnaught, also known as an Imperial Super Star Destroyer.

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Execut10
Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Execut11
Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Execut12

They're 19 kilometers long and carry several hundred thousand beings. They also have a complement of hundreds of fighters and walkers, which seems really stupid to me, because it says it carries 144 TIEs, but a Venator, which is about twelve times smaller, carries over 400 fighters, and more walkers... But anyway. Big ship. Lots of guns.

History: They were designed and built by the Empire, starting just before the Battle of Yavin (Ep. IV). The first one, Executor, was Darth Vader's flagship until the time of his death. It is shown at the battles of Hoth and Endor, in Episodes V and VI, respectively. Many others were built, notably Lusankya, Ysanne Isard's flagship, and Iron Fist, Warlord Zsinj's flagship. Only one, Lusankya, was captured by the New Republic, and it was destroyed during the Yuuzhan Vong war at the Battle of Borleias. It was probably the last intact one in the galaxy, unless there were still hidden Imperial forces that has one. It's also possible that the Imperial Remnant had some, but if they did, they would have been used in the war.

Last edited by Last_Jedi_Standing on Mon May 14, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Thank you, Last_Jedi_Standing. Kobilaka, nice pictures, do you have another information about it?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Iv121 wrote:

Let me see....

*Looks at signature*

The Lucifer?
Back to top Go down
Brz99

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:00 pm

USS Voyager from Star Trek

"Voyager may not be as big as a Galaxy-class ship, but she's quick and smart..."
-Patterson, 2371

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Intrepid_class_top_quarter_aft

Voyager Information:
Class: Intrepid
Size: 15 decks, 700,000 metric tons
Length: 343 meters,
Crew complement: Capacity of approximately 160
Equipment: Most advanced sensors in the Federation fleet, cruise velocity of warp 9.975, bio-neural circuitry, ablative hull armor, Borg-enhanced EPS relays, advanced astrometrics laboratory using Borg-enhanced sensors.
Weapons: Phaser arrays, photon torpedoes, deflector shields, spatial charges, tricobalt devices, transphasic torpedoes, nanoprobe-armed torpedoes.

Notable Accomplishments/Voyages:
-5 liberated Borg - Seven of Nine, Icheb, Mezoti,
-Over 25 different First Contacts
-3 temporal journeys
-Repelled the Undine invasion
-Defeated the “Think Tank” some of the smartest minds in the Delta Quadrant, with the help of the Hazari.
-7 year long journey across the Delta Quadrant with almost no help or contact from Starfleet
-Destruction of a Borg transwarp hub, one of only 6 in the galaxy
-Successfully created their own shuttle, called the Delta Flyer, in less than a week, in order to retrieve their probe before another species did.
-Infiltrated a damaged Borg sphere as part of Operation Fort Knox

Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Brz99 wrote:
USS Voyager from Star Trek

"Voyager may not be as big as a Galaxy-class ship, but she's quick and smart..."
-Patterson, 2371

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Intrepid_class_top_quarter_aft

Voyager Information:
Class: Intrepid
Size: 15 decks, 700,000 metric tons
Length: 343 meters,
Crew complement: Capacity of approximately 160
Equipment: Most advanced sensors in the Federation fleet, cruise velocity of warp 9.975, bio-neural circuitry, ablative hull armor, Borg-enhanced EPS relays, advanced astrometrics laboratory using Borg-enhanced sensors.
Weapons: Phaser arrays, photon torpedoes, deflector shields, spatial charges, tricobalt devices, transphasic torpedoes, nanoprobe-armed torpedoes.

Notable Accomplishments/Voyages:
-5 liberated Borg - Seven of Nine, Icheb, Mezoti,
-Over 25 different First Contacts
-3 temporal journeys
-Repelled the Undine invasion
-Defeated the “Think Tank” some of the smartest minds in the Delta Quadrant, with the help of the Hazari.
-7 year long journey across the Delta Quadrant with almost no help or contact from Starfleet
-Destruction of a Borg transwarp hub, one of only 6 in the galaxy
-Successfully created their own shuttle, called the Delta Flyer, in less than a week, in order to retrieve their probe before another species did.
-Infiltrated a damaged Borg sphere as part of Operation Fort Knox

Yes. The Voyager. Not even a enterprise class ship. Very similar to the Enterprise design though. meh.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Covenant Assualt Carrier
Spoiler:

Has 2 Energy Projectors.
At least 100 Plasma Torpedo launch tubes.
1 large docking bay capable of holding cruisers.
Point Defense pulse lasers.
Multiple gravity lifts.
Slipspace drive.
Length 5,346 metres (17,540 ft).
2,118 metres (6,950 ft).
700 metres (2,300 ft).
High powered shields.
Contains-
■Seraph-class starfighters
■Banshees
■Spirits
■Phantoms
■Orbital Insertion Pods
■Boarding craft
■Shadows
■Scarabs
■Wraiths
■Ghosts
Has several thousand crew.
Several thousand passengers.

Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:51 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Covenant Assualt Carrier
Spoiler:

Has 2 Energy Projectors.
At least 100 Plasma Torpedo launch tubes.
1 large docking bay capable of holding cruisers.
Point Defense pulse lasers.
Multiple gravity lifts.
Slipspace drive.
Length 5,346 metres (17,540 ft).
2,118 metres (6,950 ft).
700 metres (2,300 ft).
High powered shields.
Contains-
■Seraph-class starfighters
■Banshees
■Spirits
■Phantoms
■Orbital Insertion Pods
■Boarding craft
■Shadows
■Scarabs
■Wraiths
■Ghosts
Has several thousand crew.
Several thousand passengers.

despite the fact that i have only played on someone elses xbox, i will go with this. cuase it's halo.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:39 pm

I don't know about the GREATEST ship in science fiction but right now I'm taking quite a liking to the Discord Battleship.
Spoiler:
Although comparable to the Radiance Battleship, it has slightly weaker weapons, shields and armor, but has incorporated diffusion arrays designed to let the crew of powerful Psintergrats unleash their Psitech abilities upon enemy ships, which the Radiance lacks.
It's Psitech capabilities include telekinetically tearing enemy hulls, making them more vulnerable to weapons fire. The capacity to influence enemy weapons and systems, making them operate considerably slower, and the crew can unleash a telepathic wail that will mentally assault opposing crew members and damaging the very ship.
Additionally, this ability is rather useless by itself, but it can psionically mark allied vessels and upon their destruction, the psionic energy will be unleashed and deal damage to enemy vessels.

It possess three forwards beam emitters and six forwards heavy plasma launchers, as well as Spontaneous Laser Generation technology in its flank armor plating.
I don't have any facts about weapon strength however if you really want me to estimate I can calculate it based on relative weapon damage in the game, but it would be theoretical.
In addition, it also possesses one frontal bolt launcher for planetary bombardement.
Despite having weaker shields than the Radiance, it is still a battleship, and as such it has very powerful shields that can withstand much damage.

Slightly larger than a Radiance, it sits at approximately 2km in height and 5 km in length, at its highest and longest points respectively.

Unlike most other ships in the Advent fleet, or the entire Sins game, this ship does not rely on conventional engines to move through space. Advent have always been known for bolstering their armor by telekinetically reinforcing it, making it harder to punch through, but the Discord takes it one step further with its Psitech Drive.
The Psitech Drive collects a small fraction of each crew member's telekinetic potential, amplifies it and propulses the ship with telekinetic energy while giving the command crew control of the telekinetic propulsion.
This results in a smaller engine than any other ship in the Sins universe, as all capital ships have considerably massive reactors while the Discord has but one very small thruster. This also allows more energy to be directed into weapons and shields.

The Rebellion guide has not been published yet so I can't comment on crew compliment, however, compairing it to the Radiance, it probably holds around 3100 crew, give or take a hundred.

In addition, standard to all battleships, it can hold three squadrons of strike craft, each squadron consisting of 9 drones for a total of 27 strike craft.

Standard Phase Space drive allows it to travel between neighboring planets in seconds, and neighboring stars in minutes. Crossing the Galaxy could take one to seven days.

Finally, it looks badass.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm

ACH, a Covenant Assault Cruiser has between 4 and 6 plasma 'torpedo' turrets.

My favorite, if not my pick for most powerful, is the Andromeda Ascendant.

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Androm10

Class: Glorious Heritage

Length: 1301m

Beam: 976m

Draft: 325m

Decks/Sections: 50 Inhabitable Decks
13 Uninhabitable Decks

Inertial Mass: 96,408,876kg

Offensive Systems:

Kenetic Projectile Weapons: OM-5 standard Offensive kinetic kill missiles
DM-5 standard Defensive kinetic kill missiles

Missle Systems: 40 ELS missile tubes
PM-6 Star Arrow smart anti-ship missiles
PM-6L Strategic Star Arrow smart anti-ship missiles (extended range variant)
PM-6LII Strategic Star Arrow multiple independent kill vehicle (MIKV) variant
SAPM-6III Strike Arrow surface attack variant

Particle Beam Weapons: 12 PDL 50Mw turrets
12 AP cannons

Primary Heavy Weapons systems: Nova Bombs

Defenses: High tension armor
Ablative armor
Reactive armor
Battle blades
4,000 GUA Units
2 Planetfall Defense (OEBots)
Multi-purpose Shipboard Robots
Cambots
GMR Nanobot
NBC Nanobot
IC Nanobot
Nanobot Inhibitor
Gravity well shielding

Carries: 4500 crew + 2300 possible passengers
16 ES-115 Oracle heavy sensor/attack drones
8 ES-14 Janus light sensor/attack drones
36 RF-42 Centaur tactical fighters
76 RA-26 Shrike strike fighters
12 AF/A-29 Phoenix atmospheric attack craft

Power Systems: AP Fusion Generator

Sub-Light Engines: Navigational Thrusters

Main FTL Engines: Gravity Field Generator Mark VIII Slipstream Engines

Max Sub-Light Speed: At least 0.4*c without killing the inhabitants using her MPDs

Andromeda's standard missiles have a 40 mt yield, and reach speeds of 90+ PSL (%c). They also have a 1 kg mass, which is approximately the size of a human fist.

She can fire 8 mps (missiles per second) from each of her 40 ELS Launch Tubes, giving her a total rate of fire of 19,200 missiles per minute. With this kind of firepower, she is able to depopulate a planet in under 2 minutes.

She is also a very good looking ship, and has an effective mass of less than 1kg (not a typo) when fully loaded and underway. This makes her one of the most maneuverable ships in the history of sci-fi.

PS - My pick for most powerful is the Magog World Ship from the same universe. It is literally a weaponized solar system; look it up on google.

Last edited by Avenger_7 on Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:48 pm

The answer has no competition.

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? JJ37v

Name: UNSC Infinity
Affiliation: United Nations Space Corps
Length: Over 3 kilometers
Mission: Above-top-secret deeps space exploration assignment. Involves the continuation and traing of the Spartan Program.
Non-Crew Personnel: Spartan Mk. IV Special Forces Soldiers.
Equipment: Mjolnir Armor, Light weight variant.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Heh, I had forgotten about the Andromeda, pretty nice ship.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:56 pm

scout37 wrote:
The answer has no competition.

Name: UNSC Infinity
Affiliation: United Nations Space Corps
Length: Over 3 kilometers
Mission: Above-top-secret deeps space exploration assignment. Involves the continuation and traing of the Spartan Program.
Non-Crew Personnel: Spartan Mk. IV Special Forces Soldiers.
Equipment: Mjolnir Armor, Light weight variant.

How can it have no competition if the UNSC is getting its butt kicked by the Covenant?

Edit: NO, BAD PATRICK, THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION THREAD!
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:14 am

UNSC Infinity looks like a giant space-dildo. Just sayin'.

I like most of the ships in the Andromeda universe, they all look very organic and suited to their roles.
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:25 am

Avenger_7 wrote:
UNSC Infinity looks like a giant space-dildo.

I like most of the ships in the Andromeda universe, they all look very organic and suited to their roles.

And i find most andromeda ships look like they were designed for a fashion show, not a fire fight.
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:40 am

Wel, couldnt we actually come up with our own? because im planning on making a super-dreadnaut that is a hybrid of a Reaver-styled, Crayven armed, Order of the New Dawn tech based, Strogg layout, with Serenity styled Cargo ship, Crayven corp Dropships, COvenant-corvette after tail schematic, and oh yeah, im gonna give it 3 MAC cannons, a Plasma Beam, and im gonna put THE Big Gun. ll give the layouts for at least one of the ships (it iwill most likely be an armada with a uber hybrid dreadnaut) to the person who can guess/name the GAMES (plural) these ships come from.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:02 am

scout37 wrote:
Wel, couldnt we actually come up with our own? because im planning on making a super-dreadnaut that is a hybrid of a Reaver-styled, Crayven armed, Order of the New Dawn tech based, Strogg layout, with Serenity styled Cargo ship, Crayven corp Dropships, COvenant-corvette after tail schematic, and oh yeah, im gonna give it 3 MAC cannons, a Plasma Beam, and im gonna put THE Big Gun. ll give the layouts for at least one of the ships (it iwill most likely be an armada with a uber hybrid dreadnaut) to the person who can guess/name the GAMES (plural) these ships come from.

Big talk, I don't see it happening anywhere in the next 6 months Neutral

I would also like to point out that UNSC designs aren't exactly efficient in combat, definitely not when you compare them to Andromeda ships.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 4:13 am

I never said most powerful ship. I just said greatest. That might mean good looking, good firepower, good technology, good defense, or general awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:35 am

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
I never said most powerful ship. I just said greatest. That might mean good looking, good firepower, good technology, good defense, or general awesomeness.

I picked up on that, which is why I picked a simple battleship instead of a Titan or something even more destructive.

The Discord represents not only a battleship but also the most recent innovations in Advent technology and design, separating them further from their human roots ( The Radiance, while being an Advent ship, still held many human traits as a ship )
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
scout37 wrote:

I would also like to point out that UNSC designs aren't exactly efficient in combat, definitely not when you compare them to Andromeda ships.

I find them very efficient. I mean, a rocket warthog that NEVER RUNS OUT OF ROCKETS
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Kobialka wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
scout37 wrote:

I find them very efficient. I mean, a rocket warthog that NEVER RUNS OUT OF ROCKETS

That's actually a 40mm grenade launching warthog that never runs out of grenades.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?   Greatest Ship in Science Fiction? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatest Ship in Science Fiction?
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next