Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Sci-Fi Franchises

Go down 
+24
Ivan2006
Abaddon the Despoiler
Avenger_7
Happyman
Potato
Pat Best
Joel
Cheatmaster
fr0stbyte124
Shiva
Dux Tell31
ACH0225
Hierarch Fenway
Haycalon
Commander Kobialka
Brz99
Son of Wolves
The Schmetterling
superninjakiwi
Tiel+
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Keon
Laserbilly
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Hey it will never be adequate , even if the respective creators create those ships. It's much better than the theoretical discussions you have here, and more interesting Razz .
If you find another vid post it here.

Seconded. I think the way it played out was pretty accurate though Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I think I'll try and make one.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 am

Advent Unity vs Reaper Indoctrination theory confirmation!!!

Back in ME1, you have the chance to save the colony on Zhu's Hope, and in the process also freeing an Asari Commando, Shiala, who is prisoner to some mind controlling plant alien. Shiala then decides to redeem herself by aiding the colonists get back on their feet.

In Mass Effect 3, during the Reaper invasion, you receive an e-mail from Shiala. In this note, she explains that the long-term effects of the mind controlling plant alien has caused the colonists to be able to join their minds, to act as one and share knowledge, not only allowing Shiala to give her combat knowledge as a commando to all colonists, turning them into highly skilled soldiers, but also allowing them to resist indoctrination.
So if a handful of mind-linked colonists can resist indoctrination, it is safe to say that the combined might of the entire Unity can downright crush indoctrination, if not even make it backfire.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 am

Assuming the unity can crash all possible indoctrinated life forms in the universe ... There is a reason why the reapers destroy one civilization after another...

Last note - the fact they can link their minds together and that they resist indoctrination may be not related , or the sort of link is different from what the unity does. I believe you wouldn't want to step on the battlefield armed with only this knowledge ...
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 am

Iv121 wrote:
Assuming the unity can crash all possible indoctrinated life forms in the universe ... There is a reason why the reapers destroy one civilization after another...

Last note - the fact they can link their minds together and that they resist indoctrination may be not related , or the sort of link is different from what the unity does. I believe you wouldn't want to step on the battlefield armed with only this knowledge ...

It is, Shiala says she can hear the Reaper's whispers in her head, but the other colonists' presence is much more powerful and is keeping her on track. So the simple telepathic link which binds the colonists to one another strengthens them against the influence of indoctrination. This goes even more for the Unity, who are billions upon billions to be linked in harmony.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Nice so the unity won't be indoctrinated ? Too bad it will eaten by husks Razz (Oh w8 they don't eat ppl right ? )
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Nice so the unity won't be indoctrinated ? Too bad it will eaten by husks Razz (Oh w8 they don't eat ppl right ? )

Right, the race of angry psionic warriors who's only purpose in the last 1000 years has been to destroy anything that is not them in the universe is going to get eaten by husks.

Husks are about as dangerous as ants to them.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Pat Best wrote:

Husks are about as dangerous as ants to everybody. They're the zerglings of mass effect.

Which reminds me: what do you guys think is the most valuable specific piece of technology in any franchise?

For me, it's a tie between Protoss Hard Shields (reduce damage against them to essentially nothing) and Asgard Ion Canons (ignore shields).
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Husks are about as dangerous as ants to everybody. They're the zerglings of mass effect.

Which reminds me: what do you guys think is the most valuable specific piece of technology in any franchise?

For me, it's a tie between Protoss Hard Shields (reduce damage against them to essentially nothing) and Asgard Ion Canons (ignore shields).

The Molecular Disruption Device (AKA M.D. Device, AKA The Little Doctor) from Ender's Game. As it masses through molecules of any type, it expands in size, growing larger and larger. It was crucial in the victory agains the Buggers.

To show just how important it is, the M.D> Device is what one the war against the buggers when Ender decided to "cheat" and fire it into the entire Home PLanet of the Buggers, engulfing it and killing the hive's queen, effectively cutting off the snake's head. Without the empathically-linked queen, all the drones died.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 8:58 pm

scout37 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

The Molecular Disruption Device (AKA M.D. Device, AKA The Little Doctor) from Ender's Game. As it masses through molecules of any type, it expands in size, growing larger and larger. It was crucial in the victory agains the Buggers.

To show just how important it is, the M.D> Device is what one the war against the buggers when Ender decided to "cheat" and fire it into the entire Home PLanet of the Buggers, engulfing it and killing the hive's queen, effectively cutting off the snake's head. Without the empathically-linked queen, all the drones died.

I'm of a mind to say for Halo, the the Halo Rings, but I suppose that isn't specific technology...
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Manspider. My point has been made and this doesn't seem interesting...
Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Mlfw2326-Derpy_and_Rainbow_Abandon_Thread

Last edited by Arial Ponder on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Arial Ponder wrote:
THE BEST franchise is the one you can find right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkqMjfqqPc
Watch the video to the end, then you will understand how awesome said franchise is. Trust me.
Just because you seem not to have onderstood thar right:
We are talking about sci-fi- franchises here. Neither an almost 10h conversation between mudkips nor a short word by a slowpoke has anything to do with sci-fi.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 12:44 am

ACH0225 wrote:
scout37 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

I'm of a mind to say for Halo, the the Halo Rings, but I suppose that isn't specific technology...

No, they count. Did you know that they were used by the Forerunners to wipe out the pre-historic Humans?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 1:08 pm

I read Cryptum, nothing about that in der. Is that info in the next book?
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 pm

I think the first reference to it is in Cryptum, just not the specifics. The first firing of a Halo was on the Human capital world (I think it was tarn-vedra?) during the human-forerunner war.

Don't quote me on this, it's been a long time.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I rather like Daala's Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter. It's not as dramatic as the Doctor or the Halo rings, but it does pretty nasty things to ships that get in front of it.

If it counts, and I don't think it does, I call the Star Forge.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
I rather like Daala's Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter. It's not as dramatic as the Doctor or the Halo rings, but it does pretty nasty things to ships that get in front of it.

Hmmmm...star forge, nope. That's not a piece of tech, it's just a factory placed really close to its supply source. That makes its owners go insane.

IMO, star wars is way too much Rule of Cool :l
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:

Hmmmm...star forge, nope. That's not a piece of tech, it's just a factory placed really close to its supply source. That makes its owners go insane.

Factory=piece of technology

Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:12 pm

A crucible is a very important piece of technology.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Mackeroth? wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:

Factory=piece of technology

Maybe that didn't get communicated properly, I don't count it as a specific technology because it's almost generic to all sci fi series. If LJS had said world devastators, I would have been fine with them since they are unique to their franchise, even though they work on a similar principle to the star forge.
Back to top Go down
Brz99

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 pm

The Krenim temporal ship weapon.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Krenim_weapon_ship
It's invincible, and can erease pretty much anything from history.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Brz99 wrote:

Isn't the whole storyline of that episode that this weapon keeps backfiring and never has the correct effect?
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 am

Pat Best wrote:
Brz99 wrote:

Isn't the whole storyline of that episode that this weapon keeps backfiring and never has the correct effect?

It's been a while, but as I remember it, that was a pretty good episode.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Anyway, I still think that this proves that this is a sci-fi franchiese with epic awesomeness!
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 2:39 am

Tiel wrote:
I read Cryptum, nothing about that in der. Is that info in the next book?

yeah it is in cryptum but not much time is spent on it. Charum Hakkor was the first place a halo was fired, where the prisoner was released, and that was a few thousand years after the human-forerunner war if i recall correctly (the halos were built when the Didact was in exile). I'm reading Primordium now and it does explain it (kind of) further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Franchises
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: