Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Sci-Fi Franchises

Go down 
+24
Ivan2006
Abaddon the Despoiler
Avenger_7
Happyman
Potato
Pat Best
Joel
Cheatmaster
fr0stbyte124
Shiva
Dux Tell31
ACH0225
Hierarch Fenway
Haycalon
Commander Kobialka
Brz99
Son of Wolves
The Schmetterling
superninjakiwi
Tiel+
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Keon
Laserbilly
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:
Completely not caring whether the 40 000kg of fuel consumption is accurate or not, the following occurs:

E=40 000 x 300 000 x 300 000
E=3 600 000 000 000 000 joules/s
E=3.6 Quintilian watts
E= A lot less then what ever you said (whoever it was)

Also, with 40 tonnes per second of fuel consumption, and consumables to last 6 years (according to Wookiepedia), that means it has to carry:

40 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365.25 x 6 tonnes of fuel. This equals: 7 573 824 000 tonnes. Even if they were using a fuel with a density of iron, this would take up:
7 573 824 000 000 000g / 8g/cm3
= 946728000m3 of space
= 0.946728km3 of space
= larger than the ship itself.

Face it, with those statistics, the ship defies physics. The fuel it would take to have a power output so high requires an inconceivable amount of fuel compared to the size of the ship.

Star Wars broke the Universe. At least Stargate had an excuse for why ZPMs were so powerful.

Actually, there are only two three ways to explain an ISD´s reactor output.

a) Antimatter generators. That would also explain the enormous ammounts of fuel used, because the antimatter is calculated into that, too and it propably creates that by itself.

b) Powar it with da force! Actually, the Devastation, the sister ship of the Malevolence was powered by a Force crystal so, basically the force would even be overpowered compared to an ISD.

c) That Hyperspace Generator Thingy LJS has been talking about. Someone tell me how that thing works?
It is not an anitmatter generator, and it is not powered by the Force. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about hyperspace field generators other than that they involve hyperspace. It's possible they work rather like ZPMs, but I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Completely not caring whether the 40 000kg of fuel consumption is accurate or not, the following occurs:

E=3.6 Quintilian watts

Also, with 40 tonnes per second of fuel consumption, and consumables to last 6 years (according to Wookiepedia), that means it has to carry:

40 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365.25 x 6 tonnes of fuel. This equals: 7 573 824 000 tonnes. Even if they were using a fuel with a density of iron, this would take up:
= 946728000m3 of space
= 0.946728km3 of space

Face it, with those statistics, the ship defies physics. The fuel it would take to have a power output so high requires an inconceivable amount of fuel compared to the size of the ship.

Star Wars broke the Universe. At least Stargate had an excuse for why ZPMs were so powerful.

a) Antimatter generators. That would also explain the enormous ammounts of fuel used, because the antimatter is calculated into that, too and it propably creates that by itself.

b) Powar it with da force! Actually, the Devastation, the sister ship of the Malevolence was powered by a Force crystal so, basically the force would even be overpowered compared to an ISD.

c) That Hyperspace Generator Thingy LJS has been talking about. Someone tell me how that thing works?
It is not an anitmatter generator, and it is not powered by the Force. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about hyperspace field generators other than that they involve hyperspace. It's possible they work rather like ZPMs, but I don't know.

I am satisfied with your explanaition about HFGs working like ZPMs.
I am voting for ISD to win against a Borg Cube.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:

E=3.6 Quintilian watts

= 946728000m3 of space
= 0.946728km3 of space

I am voting the opposite. But yes, I'm assuming that HFGs work quite similar to ZPMs.
Also, judging by the super-ZPM the Ancients built, their power generation is much greater than that of the ISDs.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:

E=3.6 Quintilian watts

= 946728000m3 of space
= 0.946728km3 of space

I am voting the opposite. But yes, I'm assuming that HFGs work quite similar to ZPMs.
Also, judging by the super-ZPM the Ancients built, their power generation is much greater than that of the ISDs.

Actually, you might be right. I cancel my vote, because I don´t vote if I don´t know the contestants and the Borg Cube is still too mysterious to say anything exact about their firepower.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:

E=3.6 Quintilian watts

= 946728000m3 of space
= 0.946728km3 of space

Actually, you might be right. I cancel my vote, because I don´t vote if I don´t know the contestants and the Borg Cube is still too mysterious to say anything exact about their firepower.
I agree. An ImpStar is a very powerful ship, and it's not all that much smaller than a Borg cube, but I think a cube is big enough to win. Like I said, though, a group of four or five Star Destroyers could almost certainly destroy a Borg cube.

For whoever asked, an Interdictor is a ship that has gravity well projectors so it can keep enemy ships from jumping to hyperspace. I'm assuming it would work against warp drives, too.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Star Trek is boss.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:25 am

Found this one:

Spoiler:
They didn't show the end, but it seems like star wars looses first, then star trerk then Babylon. Freespace is the obvious winner with no capships lost (I think the GTCv Dimoses were gone ... ), and it's not even the shivans Razz . Let's find more vids of ultimate clashes Smile .
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:22 am

Iv121 wrote:
Found this one:

Spoiler:
They didn't show the end, but it seems like star wars looses first, then star trerk then Babylon. Freespace is the obvious winner with no capships lost (I think the GTCv Dimoses were gone ... ), and it's not even the shivans Razz . Let's find more vids of ultimate clashes Smile .
What program did he/she use in order to make that vid?
I wanna try make one, too.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 am

For whoever asked, an Interdictor is a ship that has gravity well projectors so it can keep enemy ships from jumping to hyperspace. I'm assuming it would work against warp drives, too.

It would probably stop hyperspace (Star Wars), Slip-streem, warp speed, hyperspace (Stargate), and the FTL from BG or SGU. All of these are effected by gravity, as far as I can tell. Atlantis' wormhole drive on the other hand might prove interesting.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
Found this one:

Spoiler:
What program did he/she use in order to make that vid?
I wanna try make one, too.

Probably fraps. As I didn't get your question I tell you this: What you see here is a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (SOASE as the title says) that adds new factions (In our case star wars, star trek , babylon 5 and freespace 2). SO if you want to add your own stuff and make a vid with it you should know programming .
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 am

It looks like a Starfleet Command III mod.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

It would probably stop hyperspace (Star Wars), Slip-streem, warp speed, hyperspace (Stargate), and the FTL from BG or SGU. All of these are effected by gravity, as far as I can tell. Atlantis' wormhole drive on the other hand might prove interesting.

You forgot the Warp- Drive from Star Trek. It might not get stopped but I don´t know since there neither is an exact "no" or "yes" at any of the canon sources (at least Memory Alpha says so).

Also there are a lot of other sci-fi franchises with warp/ hyperspace tech, like Robotech/Macross, StH (warp ring), Star Fox, Halo,...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Iv121 wrote:
SO if you want to add your own stuff and make a vid with it you should know programming .

Not quite. There are several tutorials based on how to make your own units; SoaSE modding is well and alive, and it isn't "programming" in the traditional context of the word, just a few lines of code...you don't need to know C++ or anything Razz

There's also Cinema 4D. I was playing around with it before my netbook broke and it's very intuitive and easy to learn, with powerful results.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Tiel wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
SO if you want to add your own stuff and make a vid with it you should know programming .

Not quite. There are several tutorials based on how to make your own units; SoaSE modding is well and alive, and it isn't "programming" in the traditional context of the word, just a few lines of code...you don't need to know C++ or anything Razz

There's also Cinema 4D. I was playing around with it before my netbook broke and it's very intuitive and easy to learn, with powerful results.
Sadly I am not able to purchase the game now...
maybe sometime later...
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Tiel wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

I know what you're talking about, but to make new weapons, new effective AI, this requires coding, scripting to be more exact. You cannot make a decent ship without scripting. You can do a reskin, or remodelling but you can't make a truly new ship. BTW knowing C++ for the purpose won't do any harm. Besides the fact you can edit basic game functions with C++ it will also allow you to learn scripting faster. All elite programming languages are similar, only different words. All object oriented (Yea each one has it's own catches but nothing you can't handle) .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Iv121 wrote:

Tiel wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

I know what you're talking about, but to make new weapons, new effective AI, this requires coding, scripting to be more exact. You cannot make a decent ship without scripting. You can do a reskin, or remodelling but you can't make a truly new ship. BTW knowing C++ for the purpose won't do any harm. Besides the fact you can edit basic game functions with C++ it will also allow you to learn scripting faster. All elite programming languages are similar, only different words. All object oriented (Yea each one has it's own catches but nothing you can't handle) .

Um, no. There is no 'AI' in Sins of a Solar Empire, all ships act the same. New weapons only require new effects and variables telling the game engine when and how to make a weapon fire. You do NOT need to have any programming knowledge to mod Sins. There are many tools available to expedite the process of scripting, and as far as I know Sins's system isn't based on any particular language, similar to RPG Maker VX's Ruby system.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

If the GTVA collosus (That big thing with the green beam cannons) worked the same as sins ships he wouldn't be cleaver enough to turn his side towards the enemy, where most of it's cannons are focused, and will keep shooting with his 2 forward cannons. The star trek ships also acted differently, striking and getting away. Seems like they were calssified as fighters but whatever ... The other two factions didn't show specific signs of improved AI .

Maybe you can make those ships without programming, but they will still lack that something. I bet you'd download the scripted ones .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Iv121 wrote:
If the GTVA collosus (That big thing with the green beam cannons) worked the same as sins ships he wouldn't be cleaver enough to turn his side towards the enemy, where most of it's cannons are focused, and will keep shooting with his 2 forward cannons. The star trek ships also acted differently, striking and getting away. Seems like they were calssified as fighters but whatever ... The other two factions didn't show specific signs of improved AI .

Maybe you can make those ships without programming, but they will still lack that something. I bet you'd download the scripted ones .

There's no bloody programming involved in making Sins ships. Get it through your head. You edit a TEXT file with VERY CLEAR variables. For **ck's sakes..

Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, someone was controlling that in cinematic mode? I realize you have a background in Skyrim modding but Sins is not only an entirely different genre, but the tools and process are vastly different as Stardock actually gives a hoot about modders (Unlike Bestheda and Mojang..).

Last edited by Tiel on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Did I swear at you ?
Just leave this topic alone.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Did I swear at you ?
Just leave this topic alone.

I blew that out of proportion. I'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 pm

no offense taken.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 pm

But Tiel's right.

Certain ships in Sins already turn so that their side with the most guns faces the main target ( like the Akkhan, the Progenitor, the Dunov, the Halcyon, the Sova, etc... ) and Corvette class ships imitate the flight patterns of strike craft in combat while attacking multiple targets in all directions, like the star trek vessels were doing.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 am

Pat Best wrote:
But Tiel's right.

Certain ships in Sins already turn so that their side with the most guns faces the main target ( like the Akkhan, the Progenitor, the Dunov, the Halcyon, the Sova, etc... ) and Corvette class ships imitate the flight patterns of strike craft in combat while attacking multiple targets in all directions, like the star trek vessels were doing.

Completely true. And from watching that video, it seems like the Sins AI's were assigned properly to the different ships based on observable in-universe tactics.

It might also be possible that someone was controlling some of the factions, though. The Freespace cap ships took up really good position to guard the Colossus's blind spot from the bigger enemy ships.

One last thing: The amount of firepower that ImpStarDeuce took before exploding was impressive. It just had the misfortune to get into a gunfight with the biggest ship in the system.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 am

Avenger_7 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
But Tiel's right.

Completely true. And from watching that video, it seems like the Sins AI's were assigned properly to the different ships based on observable in-universe tactics.

It might also be possible that someone was controlling some of the factions, though. The Freespace cap ships took up really good position to guard the Colossus's blind spot from the bigger enemy ships.

One last thing: The amount of firepower that ImpStarDeuce took before exploding was impressive. It just had the misfortune to get into a gunfight with the biggest ship in the system.

In the end, this can't really be used as a reliable source of data unless the mod were programmed by the respective creators of each respective franchise included in it.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 am

Hey it will never be adequate , even if the respective creators create those ships. It's much better than the theoretical discussions you have here, and more interesting Razz .
If you find another vid post it here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Franchises
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: