Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Smaller Weapons and Utilities

Go down 
+6
DragoonPreston
Shiva
ectrimble20
roguenerd
Lordoflard
tonyri
10 posters
AuthorMessage
tonyri
tonyri

Smaller Weapons and Utilities Empty
PostSubject: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Seeing all of the ideas, we have plenty of ideas more or less along the lines of "It is super powerful but it costs a ton", so I am going to start compiling ideas of the smaller stuff like personal weapons and cheap or easy to make weapons. We need just as many, if not more, of these 1-2 tier weapons to make the game balanced during the start of the game.

An idea would be to use what I call the "Call of Duty" method. This would involve making a personal weapon such as an "Assault Rifle". Then you could put it on a workbench and add special attachments like red dot or grip and the like. Max 2 attachments per gun, and you could take the attachments off. To make this balanced, every item and block in the game would need to be assigned a "weight". For example, an Assault Rifle + Red Dot Sight would weigh maybe 30 kg. Maybe a space suit helm would weigh 45 kg. This would mean that you would only be able carry a couple guns and some armour without moving extremely slow and requiring mounds of food.

My other idea would be to use the "Battlefield" method. This would assign every player a skill level for each class of weapon (explosive, sniper, assault, ect.), and if you wanted to get better upgrades, you would need to level up by training that skill, and then using a "Loadout" block Gui like the enchanting table, you would add accessories and upgrades such as accuracy and range to each weapon.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
Lordoflard
Lordoflard

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Railguns, pulse cannons, and the like. Maybe a drill or something for boarding ships?
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Lordoflard wrote:
Railguns, pulse cannons, and the like. Maybe a drill or something for boarding ships?
I believe that you just proved my point with your ignorance. The first sentence talked about how I was trying to avoid these top tier air-to-surface weapons. I just want to discuss low tier things right now.
Back to top Go down
roguenerd

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 pm

First tier:
Contemporary weapons, but easy to get. Just craft gunpowder and some flint and you get four or so bullets. Guns are built by crafting a firing mechanism and then arranging items in different configurations for different gun types. The Halo AR/DMR/Pistol/Sniper would be good weapon types, all suited for different roles.

Random thought:
Would the "gun" be just the usual icon made 3D-ish or a real model that you hold and is slightly animated?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 3:22 am

I've already designed a number of personal weapons. So far I have the bolter, which is named after the space marine weapon from WH40k, its a small, cheap to build and effective personal defense weapon. There's only 1 tier of it so far but when I finish, there will be 2 additional upgrades for it. Next I have the Ripper, named for a weapon of personal affection from UT. This is an assault rifle of sort and will fire a higher velocity round than the bolter and will also have 2 upgrades for effectiveness. The third weapon, cant remember what I called it, is the big daddy personal fire arm. Its expensive, the ammo isn't cheap and the rate of fire isn't that good, but it will fire a HE round that can be used to breach lightly armored structures. Again this will have 2 upgrades.

My basis for the personal weapons and defense is 3 tiers. T1 being cheaper to make but effective, T2 slightly more expensive and a bit more effective, T3 being costly but highly effective.

The goal of this is to make T1 the primary choice for people going into "I'm probably going to die" situations where they want to use expendable equipment, T2 and T3 will be used by more experienced players who can afford the equipment cost and I can also see a small force of fully T3 equipped marines being used as a breaching force for ship-to-ship boarding actions.

My aim of course is to make the game about a personal choice, if you prefer to use expensive top tier stuff, its available, at a cost, but at the same time, a skilled player using T1 can take on someone in T3 w/o being completely over powered by the equipment level difference.
Back to top Go down
Lordoflard
Lordoflard

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm

tonyri wrote:
Lordoflard wrote:
I believe that you just proved my point with your ignorance. The first sentence talked about how I was trying to avoid these top tier air-to-surface weapons. I just want to discuss low tier things right now.

No need to be snide, and railguns are more of a midtier weapon. What do you guys think of land-based cannons similar to naval batteries? I mean, gunpowder cannons, not super advanced or expensive things.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:14 pm

I think this is about personal weapons, lordoflard.

I'd like to see a few different variations on the "personal weapon" theme. I.E., bolter as an SMG (which it is, even if it fires 25mm guided rockets), man-portable lascannon, flamethrowers, plascannon, etc. Some sort of deployable/controllable HMG (like the one Turret mod... I can't remember the name, but you'd deploy a ballista and could fire (quickly) as many stone/TNT as you loaded into the storage... neato!) would also be nice, as would mortars. Satchel charges, grenades of all stripes, C4... that kind of stuff. (Also, how hard is it to make a detonator? I found a TNT detonator mod once that was friggin' awesome, especially for detonating IC2's nukes)
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I suppose a detonator wouldn't be too difficult. I think it would be a matter of assigning a detonator block to a TNT like block, then on activation start a timer and once it reaches 0, Ka-boom.

But yeah Shiva, I think this is suppose to be about smaller weapons and utilities... hence the topics name Razz

Rail guns and what not would be cool for ship to ship, ship to planet, planet to ship style weapons, but the power required for a rail gun would make it quite impractical for an individual weapon. The bolter is setup to be a hand gun style weapon, not a SMG, I'm using the names, not trying to copy the weapons, I'll eventually come up with my own names for things that are unique to FC.

Portable weapons would be cool, but I haven't messed with doing that though I suppose it can be too hard to figure out.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Oh, I mixed the normal bolter with the Storm Bolter. Eh, oh well.

And all of the above are personal weapons Razz my definition being "anything that can be carried/deployed/fired/reloaded by one person on her lonesome".
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
DragoonPreston
DragoonPreston

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 am

This ( I know its a furry site but its the only place i know of the guy up-lodes* ) type of design is what i think of for like the T3 stuffs or T2 ( minus the plasma bits ) because most of it is doable with modern tech the only hard part is the energy storage, lithium ion batterys don't have enough charge for more then one shot and have it be portable ( unless you carry around a heavy pack for it ) but if we had things like lapatron crystals ( from IC2 ) the energy storage is possible.

Moving away from weapons for a bit tho things like portable ore scanners, ( my idea is they scan like a 5 x 5 block and say if there's something there ( not what is there tho ) a few levels of drills and mining lazers ( like IC2 but not so OP with the mining lazer ( aka shorter range only 1 block at a time things like that ) and possibly a lower tier of drill for when you know there's a good chance of dieing ( like in the Nether Very Happy )) Something like a potion injector ( can store like 5 potions or something and use them automatically on set conditions ( aka less then 3 hearts, when sprinting for more then 3 seconds, Falling in Lava ( happens to me all the time while mining ), Etc )) and i cant think of any thing more right now.

-Dragoon
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 2:19 am

DragoonPreston wrote:
This ( I know its a furry site but its the only place i know of the guy up-lodes* )
You couldve just linked to the face.d page, which allmost no one who isn't a common vistor to there knows is linked to FurAffinity. I should know, I got a lot of experence with them.... Smile

Last edited by Buggy1997123 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DragoonPreston
DragoonPreston

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 pm

To be honest i had no idea lol.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 pm

How bout a super map thing. If a friendly ship is in orbit, a map is downloaded on your map device, and it shows your current location in great detail. It also saves the map, and if your back on the ship, you can put it in the display device, and wherever the screen is(wall, floor, ceiling), it shows an enlarged map. Also, a gravity rifle might be useful as a restraining weapon, it shoots a round made of something the mod developers make up, and it makes the target and everything in 5 blocks be unable to move for 20 seconds. Or maybe, use the SCR, or Standard Combat Rifle. Has a range of 45 blocks, shoots AM rounds, or Advanced Munition rounds, and they do 4 damage. The SCR barrel is made with steel in a horizontal line on the crafting grid, with iron ingots on the top left and bottom right. The SCR body is made out of steel, shaped like an L on its side, with the top of the L on the left, having iron on the lower left. They are then crafted together.
The rounds are 1 gunpowder in the center, with a steel on top and iron on the left and right.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I haven't talked about it much, but we're going to have really cool maps. The main navigation board will scale up to an entire room and have a 3D holographic map, which you can manipulate to navigate and plot courses on. It's actually one of the first things I had planned for this mod.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I haven't talked about it much, but we're going to have really cool maps. The main navigation board will scale up to an entire room and have a 3D holographic map, which you can manipulate to navigate and plot courses on. It's actually one of the first things I had planned for this mod.

Epic! Very Happy(Cue Guitar solo)
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
DragoonPreston wrote:
This ( I know its a furry site but its the only place i know of the guy up-lodes* )
You couldve just linked to the face.d page, which allmost no one who isn't a common vistor to there knows is linked to FurAffinity. I should know, I got a lot of experence with them.... Smile

*burst out laughing* Oh I can just imagine the faces of anyone who read that, nah, I don't have any experence with them, it just took me like ten seconds to figure out the face.d page thing once I took a look at it.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 am

Something I just realized! Whaat will people eat on a long space flight, because astronaut ice cream, while delicious, wont cut it. Thats why we need the Replicator! It can produce food through 4 easy steps! First, the player enters the type of food, then, the Replicator checks to see if the ship has the available energy, then, the Replicator uses the foods food reoverey amount times 8 to find the energy usage, and then the food is ejected from the Replicator! The Replicator can even produce simple metals(Iron, aluminum).NOTE: THE REPLICATOR IS NOT ADAPTED TO PRODUCE FOODS THAT INCLUDE DENSE METALS SUCH AS GOLD! SUCH USE MAY CAUSE A MINOR EXPLOSION!
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 am

On a scale of 1-10 the amount I care about space-themed food is -3, so I hope one of the other devs is taking care of this. I would just as soon have everybody resort to cannibalism.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 3:07 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
On a scale of 1-10 the amount I care about space-themed food is -3, so I hope one of the other devs is taking care of this. I would just as soon have everybody resort to cannibalism.
You can have your cannibalism, I will stand to the side and eat cookies and laugh! Also, the food is normal, it's just made by a machine.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 3:24 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

I'm just going to make it where they can eat space, so they just pop open the hatch, grab a little bite of void and explode into the vacuum.

problem, once again, solved.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 am

These are the weapons we currently have planned, as in the OP. Any others you plan to add will need to be approved by Ectrimble, Fr0stbyte, and me. The weapon submission form will need to be formatted like mine:

Hand held weapons (ascending order from least to most powerful)
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:
DragoonPreston wrote:

*burst out laughing* Oh I can just imagine the faces of anyone who read that, nah, I don't have any experence with them, it just took me like ten seconds to figure out the face.d page thing once I took a look at it.

The look on my face was disinterested. It almost always is.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
These are the weapons we currently have planned, as in the OP. Any others you plan to add will need to be approved by Ectrimble, Fr0stbyte, and me. The weapon submission form will need to be formatted like mine:

Spoiler:
Perhaps the limiting factor of the nade should be that you COULD throw them really fast if you want to, but they have a rather long fuse and therefor would be easy to avoid if you didn't take a second or two to cook them.

Also, weapons should probably do more damage if they hit someone's head instead of their body.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

Spoiler:
Perhaps the limiting factor of the nade should be that you COULD throw them really fast if you want to, but they have a rather long fuse and therefor would be easy to avoid if you didn't take a second or two to cook them.

Also, weapons should probably do more damage if they hit someone's head instead of their body.

I don't think fast is a good idea, but maybe 3/s, but with a 5s fuse?

I also think that damage should be location based, but that's not my job to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smaller Weapons and Utilities   Smaller Weapons and Utilities Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smaller Weapons and Utilities
Page 1 of 1