Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Orbital Shipyards

Go down 
+16
hiloser12221
hell2o
The Schmetterling
Beaner
Danice123
fr0stbyte124
Keon
Laibach
Cool3303
TinkerPox
Pat Best
GLaDOS
kennysmith1234
Shiva
ACH0225
ManSaysNo
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am

Mod Comment: The next person to go off topic gets a day-ban. The topic is Orbital Shipyards, not teleporters or Cool3303's grammar. You have been warned.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:46 am

Hasn't this topic been solved? Anyway, my idea is to have it as a module. It doesn't need to be seperate from a warship, but it would be complex. It would take all the slots of a tier 3 core, so if you had a tier 6 core, you could have some motors and a few turrets on your shipyard.
Back to top Go down
hell2o

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm

i think that we'll need some sort of auto-shipyard if we're gonna have 100,000+ block ships whether it should need to be in orbit is up for debate.
personaly i dont think it should place wires, engines, computers, or weapons so that you have to wire it and program it by hand after the auto builder is done
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Yes, I feel like few people would commit to building such a large structure such as a dreadnought. I guess if the server had like 10 people everyone could help out but still...
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 pm

So does orbital ship yard mean it has to orbit something?
and by something I mean anything larger than it.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Alright, here's what I think shipyards should be like.

You'll launch a ship with a Hub (similar to Shiva's idea on the 1st page), but after this you'll have to launch up portions of the station, like the modern day I.S.S. This will give you a simple station to work with for defense, pictures of your planet, etc. At some point you'll construct segments in Zero G with your space suit of awesomeness. This is where the fun comes in - in order to have a fully functional constructor, you must craft a core of sorts. In theory, 1 Tier I core can handle around 300 blocks. Building these in a formation to look like

Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Human_Frigate_Yard

or

Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Shipyard_nabaal

Would in the end be more efficient, as the cores would overlap and prevent anomalies (heh, heh Laughing)

Yes, these aren't perfect. Using a single core to construct 300 blocks is like using one piece of coal for cooking 8 meat - it doesn't always work. It'll be minor, perhaps. A block here, a block there..and pretty soon it isn't airtight anymore. Not a good first impression to your customer - in fact, you might not be expecting any further business from them (literally).

You'll notice I said 'Tier I core' up there. My suggestion is that there are 3 tiers of core that get progressively more expensive to make, but also are capable of making more blox, and perhaps Tier I & II won't be able to create certain types of blocks.

Tier I: 300
Tier II: 500
Tier III:1000

As for time, think about how long it takes you to build a ship in creative. Then think how much time it'd take to build that in Survival. The latter is how much time the ships will take to build. It'll be lengthy, yes, but being able to focus on other tasks makes it worth it. In addition, you MUST have twice the amount of materials necessary in order to construct a ship in this here shipyard, as machines can make mistakes - better safe than sorry. You can collect the remainder afterwards and put it to use again in conjunction with more materials.

Lastly, how does the shipyard construct these ships? First, you build the ship in your shipyard. This has been unanimously accepted by most of the people in this thread. If you couldn't build it yourself, you sure as heck don't have the right to mass produce them. Thus, I suggest a sort of Central CPU Core would be installed that would //copy your creation to it's memory, provided there are enough Cores in the area you build it in. Another thing would be Console blocks, which could be used everywhere in this mod for a variety of things. Wiring a Console block to some Shipyard Cores will in essence create a virtual shipyard, and right clicking the associated console will bring up a GUI with the ship types the Central CPU has saved to memory. If there aren't enough cores or materials in that certain Shipyard, it will notify you. You CAN still build a ship with less cores, but it will be incomplete, as in missing some blocks.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Machines don''t make mistakes. I take that as a personal insult. And, only up to 1000 blocks? I'm willing to build something that size by myself.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm

GLaDOS wrote:
Machines don''t make mistakes. I take that as a personal insult. And, only up to 1000 blocks? I'm willing to build something that size by myself.

machines are probably the most stupid things on earth, it all depends what humans tell them to do, and they take everything literally, completely literally.

in case you didn't know, daman
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:37 pm

GLaDOS wrote:

I meant to imply that you use more than one. Their 'construction fields' overlap and in essence one core checks the other cores work as they go along. For instance, where Core1 left a 3 block hole in the bridge substructure, Core2 also has the schematics and would likely not make that mistake, filling the whole. In this way it's ideal to create them regularly spaced and with a ton of foresight. You could just saturate a box with them, but that's an expensive option.

What I'm saying is, a 20 core shipyard could build a cruiser, but in order to prevent construction errors you should have at least twice that amount.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Tiel wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:

I meant to imply that you use more than one. Their 'construction fields' overlap and in essence one core checks the other cores work as they go along. For instance, where Core1 left a 3 block hole in the bridge substructure, Core2 also has the schematics and would likely not make that mistake, filling the whole. In this way it's ideal to create them regularly spaced and with a ton of foresight. You could just saturate a box with them, but that's an expensive option.

What I'm saying is, a 20 core shipyard could build a cruiser, but in order to prevent construction errors you should have at least twice that amount.

I like the system. I like how random errors will be introduced. However, I think that would mean shipyards need to be cheep. I don't want to launch 5 cores before I can build a ship.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 pm

You're thinking of the Hub. That has to be carried into space by a rocket. But cores are essentially two-step crafted blocks, expensive enuff that you can't just spam them everywhere without effort.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 am

coalminingalchemist wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:

machines are probably the most stupid things on earth, it all depends what humans tell them to do, and they take everything literally, completely literally.

Depends on the machine.

In case you didn't know, GLaDOS. GLaDOS.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

GLaDOS wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:

Depends on the machine.

no, it doesn't, you , if you are glados, can never experience human emotions

but aren't you part human or something? really you're nothing without the instructions your creators gave you, even if you post some witty retort on here its because you have somehow interpreted that you should respond sarcastically

whoever coded you was an idiot
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:05 pm

GLaDOS wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:

Depends on the machine.

but aren't you part human or something? really you're nothing without the instructions your creators gave you, even if you post some witty retort on here its because you have somehow interpreted that you should respond sarcastically

Genetic Lifeform. GL. aDOS is and Disk Operating System.

Glados is a sentient human merged with the processing power of... Whatever it is. A lot.
You know, caroline?

You never played it, did you?
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Keon wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:
GLaDOS wrote:

Depends on the machine.

Genetic Lifeform. GL. aDOS is and Disk Operating System.

Glados is a sentient human merged with the processing power of... Whatever it is. A lot.
You know, caroline?

You never played it, did you?

I played the first one, and I know some of the 2nds backstory
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 am

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

I like Tiels idea. What does everybody else think?

I also think that the idea of animation is unneccicary. Instead, I think blocks just pop out of the core's inventory and into a ship, without you seeing anything.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Keon wrote:
BACK ON TOPIC!!!

I like Tiels idea. What does everybody else think?

I also think that the idea of animation is unneccicary. Instead, I think blocks just pop out of the core's inventory and into a ship, without you seeing anything.
So... No construction robots? Sad
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 pm

what about buildcraft-ish pipes moving around with the blocks inside?
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Or the blocks appear one by one, so construction is by no means fast.

Handbuilding IS an option. Just a slow one.

(Homeworld II - Hiigaran Shipyard, Tiel?)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 am

TheLordofError wrote:
(Homeworld II - Hiigaran Shipyard, Tiel?)

Yup
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 am

How would you handle completed ships? I mean, they could be set adrift, fly to a hanger, or just clog up space and require manual moving.

Oh, I should probably mention that this has been my secret project for a bit less than a week. GUI is almost done, then I have to work on fixing building, random errors, saving, and stringing them together.

Use it or not, I'm making it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 am

wait keon, you're doing the shipyard code?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Without them asking.

So, yeah. I am, but there's no garrentee they will use it.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 am

I think that since you're the only one working on it... we'll use it if it works.

Probably.

Unless something in your code pisses off either Ectrimble's or Frosty's code.

Then we'll see what we can do to make yours play nice. Or maybe it'll be a small problem, if there's one at all.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Keon wrote:

Without them asking.

So, yeah. I am, but there's no garrentee they will use it.

Do my idea pl0x Neutral ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Shipyards   Orbital Shipyards - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Orbital Shipyards
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next