Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Server for you guys

Go down 
+11
Commander Kobialka
Last_Jedi_Standing
Tau
Cool3303
Shiva
fr0stbyte124
ectrimble20
The Schmetterling
GLaDOS
Commander Error
TinkerPox
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TinkerPox
TinkerPox

Server for you guys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
tacokingbob wrote:
Dr.Mackeroth and fr0stbyte, will this become the official futurecraft server?I will give you guys IP and others on this forum.I will E-mail it send me a message for the IP tommorrow!

The official Futurecraft server
is likely to have several hundred people on at once. Plus dozens of ships
flying at any one time, and an untold number of robots and NPCs.

Can your server support that?

Also, just PM us the IP, no need for email.
Yes I talked to the people there, they said if a 1 million block ship blows up in combat, it will only lag a little bit.This is the best package they have.Fragnet for 156 slots, costs more than a hundred a month, they both have a vps, so I don`t host it ectrimble,I might even make a site for my server.Warning, though tell me your minecraft username, before going on the server, so I can /op you or give you creative mode.Plus all DEV`s of this site can go on and get to be an OP.Also I will have about 2-4 friends on the server, don`t kick/ban them, some of them can be stupid.Don`t destroy others, people stuff,not trolling,no lava/fire/tnt, unless told otherwise,(This excludes OPs).Give me a mediafire link to your world I will import one to the server, right when I am done cleaning.
Back to top Go down
TinkerPox
TinkerPox

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I don't think any one server will have all that many people on at the same time. That was sort of the point of splitting it all up. I mean I guess a single machine could run a bunch of server instances, but otherwise probably wouldn't happen.
The very top level server won't be a standard minecraft instance either, but rather something to handle communication between servers. I don't know the details of ectrimble's master plan.

Sorry, I haven't told anyone my
plan for the Futurecraft Empire. There will be a head server, and a number of
servers that will produce materials for the head server, in exchange for
protection. It's an age-old technique, and it will work. The head server will need
to be large, but not massive, as it will house a large collection of vessels,
and government buildings, plus defences. There will not be much actually
building taking place on this server, but it will be the place where people can
contact the developers in-game.
I will make a giant warehouse, housing , millions of ships, hahaha!On minecraft I am Dinosaurperson.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 am

I classed out the kind of computer that FC would be running on if I was a millionaire.... 6 hexcore 3.4 GHz processors with 196gb of ram and 6 terabytes of solid-state memory with a gi-frakkin'-gantic pipe, anyone?
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Cool3303
Recruit
Recruit
Cool3303

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 am

Shiva wrote:
I classed out the kind of computer that FC would be running on if I was a millionaire.... 6 hexcore 3.4 GHz processors with 196gb of ram and 6 terabytes of solid-state memory with a gi-frakkin'-gantic pipe, anyone?

Call Oceans 13 they will steal the Greco (or something like this canĀ“t remember the Name)
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Shiva wrote:

Did everyone fail to read the part about MC not utilizing mutli-threading? I think me and Frost have been over this in a couple of topics.

6 hexcore's would be useless for minecraft. I mean, unless you''re going to VM out 6 servers to link together for a mini-universe and just run them all on the same machine, then that might be hawt. But the fact still remains that a single or dual core processor isn't going to be outperformed much by a 6 core processor, which btw, you can setup a AMD AM3+ Black Edition chipset with 16 gigs of ram and a little raid 5 for under $1000, that includes buying the random accessories and power supply stuff you'd need. I deal with this kinda crap at least once a month when one of our file servers take a dump and I have to go rebuild the damn thing.

And regarding Doc's master server plan. I suppose technically that setup will be able to work once I get everything working on the transport systems, but that reminds me of the World of Warcraft development servers, where you could hack into them and get insta-banned Razz good times though.

And on yet another OP side note, Frost is 100% correct. To support 50+ people online at one time.... you better have deep pockets. You'd probably need a dedicated T1 line on a 3.8ghz+ dual or quad I7 with power balance (where it drops speed on one core to pick it up on another) with like 16-32gigz of DDR 1800mhz over clocked like a mo-fo with a friggen 360gig Fusion drive. Then you might be able to play Minecraft with 50 other people without lag lol. And yes, that might be exaggerated spec's but you get my drift.... or you don't, either way, an affordable server will cap out at about 20 people simultaneously before it becomes quite costly to rent the system.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

And for the technical people who like amazing stuff, I present to you, the Fusion-IO Optical drive.

OMG WTF BBQ

Basically, the 10TB variant (yes TB, not GB) will do 1.3 million IOPs (hardware input/output requests) a second... lets just say the standard SATA II/III drives most of us have these days top out at 85k on top of the line drives.

And FYI, the 10TB model has a $100,000 price tag.

Thats some wild stuff right there if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Shiva wrote:

Did everyone fail to read the part about MC not utilizing mutli-threading? I think me and Frost have been over this in a couple of topics.

6 hexcore's would be useless for minecraft. I mean, unless you''re going to VM out 6 servers to link together for a mini-universe and just run them all on the same machine, then that might be hawt. But the fact still remains that a single or dual core processor isn't going to be outperformed much by a 6 core processor, which btw, you can setup a AMD AM3+ Black Edition chipset with 16 gigs of ram and a little raid 5 for under $1000, that includes buying the random accessories and power supply stuff you'd need. I deal with this kinda crap at least once a month when one of our file servers take a dump and I have to go rebuild the damn thing.

And regarding Doc's master server plan. I suppose technically that setup will be able to work once I get everything working on the transport systems, but that reminds me of the World of Warcraft development servers, where you could hack into them and get insta-banned Razz good times though.

And on yet another OP side note, Frost is 100% correct. To support 50+ people online at one time.... you better have deep pockets. You'd probably need a dedicated T1 line on a 3.8ghz+ dual or quad I7 with power balance (where it drops speed on one core to pick it up on another) with like 16-32gigz of DDR 1800mhz over clocked like a mo-fo with a friggen 360gig Fusion drive. Then you might be able to play Minecraft with 50 other people without lag lol. And yes, that might be exaggerated spec's but you get my drift.... or you don't, either way, an affordable server will cap out at about 20 people simultaneously before it becomes quite costly to rent the system.

What about that multi-threading server plug-in/mod/whatever-it-is thing that LordHood was talking about?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Well kinda, me and frost sort of veered off into our own little discussion about the short falls of the minecraft engine, one of them being mult-threading.

To those who don't know what multi-threading is, it is the means by which a program can access multiple threads (or processes) on a processor. By it's nature Java does some of this on its own, but will not utilize a second processor to its fullest unless the program is specifically designed to run things in multiple threads.

Take for instance this little explanation:

You're making a program that needs to handle 4 things. It needs to listen for a request, handle the request, send information, and also wait for input from a keyboard. If your write all that to run on a single thread, if anything in that line slows down, the whole program will slow down. However, if you split off all the things you need to do into their own threads, any one thing can take time, like sending information, and it won't detriment the performance of the rest of the program.

I could go into more detail, but that's the basics of it and why it really doesn't matter what kind of setup you have, you just have to have a quick processor that can handle a big load on a single thread. There's other factors, like the inefficient handling of packets that the server and client do that also make minecraft multi-player pretty sub par in the long run, but for now we'll leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Nothing is stopping you from running multiple server instances on the same machine though. For instance, a single machine could run both space and all the planets in a star system if they have the processing power.
Back to top Go down
TinkerPox
TinkerPox

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 pm

sorry guys, but I will have to make the server tommorrow, until my dad gets home, about 4pm/5pm, I earned the money though, and any worlds you would like me to import(Contest).I may intstall the plane mod, until futurecraft comes, out, I am also making a website for the server.If you would like to help build the spawn building, pm me.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am

ectrimble20 wrote:

.... I mean, unless you''re going to VM out 6 servers to link together for a mini-universe and just run them all on the same machine, then that might be hawt...

That was actually my plan. That'd be the main "Futurecraft Prime" server-cluster... call it the newbie area, if you will.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Nothing is stopping you from running multiple server instances on the same machine though. For instance, a single machine could run both space and all the planets in a star system if they have the processing power.

Well yeah, that would work, it might make the networking necessary to make the whole server to server stuff work a little messy as you'd have to know when your going local and when your going external, but it wouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Also, like you said, I think if you put a powerful enough machine behind it, you could theoretically run an entire solar system off a single VM'd machine, actually sounds kinda run, have my own little universe to screw up.
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Necro
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:54 pm

ZeoNet wrote:
Necro
Yes, you are. Stop.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:55 pm

ZeoNet wrote:
Necro

One more UNNECESSARY necro, and you get a ban.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm

tacokingbob wrote:
I am creating a server with 1Gb and 1-25 players!I will open it soon,not really sure yet.)I need to just shovel like two drivewaysto get us started, and mow all summer every week(I would have to do it anyways though!).fr0stbyte and Dr.Mackeroth you two will be OPs!You guys can use it for FutureCraft stuff, just don`t try to crash it.What should I name it, not something stupid...

sounds good but PLEASE TRY TO KEEP IT UPDATED. And is it whitelisted?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm

He got grounded 'until monday' but hasn't been on since.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Legion wrote:

And that was what: two, three months ago?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Legion wrote:

And that was what: two, three months ago?
He was last on on Friday, March 23.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm

tacokingbob wrote:
sorry guys, but I will have to make the server tommorrow, until my dad gets home, about 4pm/5pm, I earned the money though, and any worlds you would like me to import(Contest).I may intstall the plane mod, until futurecraft comes, out, I am also making a website for the server.If you would like to help build the spawn building, pm me.

I hope it's creative
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Kobialka wrote:
tacokingbob wrote:

I hope it's creative
We think Taco may be dead. He's not likely to respond. I think the server he ran is just gone, but I'm not sure. You'll have to play on Tiel's.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 pm

It's gone too.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

We only have danice's and tell31's tekkit server now.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:21 pm

hyperlite wrote:
We only have danice's and tell31's tekkit server now.

Danice's server is good though.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:32 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
oh, what would you know, he did say ram.

LOL

Well, not back to pesimisim, 1.5 gb of ram won't support 30 players. You'd need like 4-6gb to not run like an old atari, 8gb would be preferable.

1.5 will support like 5-10 people at most, if you have a kickn processor behind it and even then you'll probably whined up bottle necking the damn thing.

But hey, it's a server right? right?!? YEAH!!!

My Toshiba has over 10gb of RAM. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server for you guys   Server for you guys - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server for you guys
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next