Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

KSP Thread

Go down 
+19
Buggy1997123
Laibach
Pat Best
Keon
Tell
Caramell
hyperlite
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
Joel
MrTargareyan
Iv121
Hierarch Fenway
Tau
Tiel+
Groot
Ivan2006
Delta
Ljubljana
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

KSP Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:48 am

Quadraxis wrote:
"Bullshit Ludbal, Advent is way OP. Say Vasari is OP one more time, I dare you."
Ludbal: "Why can't we have phase lanes here?"
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Sidhat: "After that launch, you REALLY THINK the engineers are going to make a FTL drive that DOESN'T blow up? I don't buy it."

Anyway, I figured out my error- power. So I put two side engines to push it up into orbit to supplement my Nuclear engine.

And like that, SSTO (This one BARELY got to the station.)

Spoiler:

This one isn't very efficient- optimization is required for further ventures.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Quadraxis wrote:
Sidhat: "After that launch, you REALLY THINK the engineers are going to make a FTL drive that DOESN'T blow up? I don't buy it."

Anyway, I figured out my error- power. So I put two side engines to push it up into orbit to supplement my Nuclear engine.

And like that, SSTO (This one BARELY got to the station.)

Spoiler:

This one isn't very efficient- optimization is required for further ventures.
It's normal that they barely make it into orbit with only fumes left, just enough to get to a fuel station at a 70km orbit. Only my two latest models make it with an actual considerable amount of fuel.
Here's a tip I've learned: While climbing into orbit with the rocket engines, once you're past 35km altitude and your apoapsis is at 70km, you can shut off the side engines and the nuclear engine will be enough to keep it going, saving you fuel.

Also, yours probably has too many wings. Sure, it makes it take off easier and glide through the air better, but once you get into low atmosphere and space, it's just extra weight that does nothing to help you.

Last edited by Pat Best on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Well shit, it seems all my docking and undocking with my fuel station modified its orbit slightly and it de-orbited and crashed. It still had enough fuel to refuel at least two SSTOs.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Granted the fuel station was literally just a bunch of fuel and RCS tanks docked together so I didn't lose anything of great value. I'd have had to send up new tanks soon anyways.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Here album for the first space station I ever attempted to make in KSP: https://imgur.com/a/HszdH
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Ludbal and Sidhat Kerman have made it to Duna and still have more than half their fuel left! They'll get into a circularized orbit using aerobraking and RCS and wait for Kerbin to get back into the proper position to return.
In the meantime, they'll gather data and play Sins. Both of them are terrible at it so it really doesn't matter which race is the strongest.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 am

I think I did this one too-right then. It managed to get to that 180 km Station orbit with about 50 fuel left. Docking the bastard was a pain though, because it didn't have the RCS thrusters to move laterally.

The wings on the top and bottom don't weigh much. I did calculations, and it only amounts to just over 1 ton extra. It's not too much of a problem.

I have plenty of fuel as well, 3 FLT-800's. I might have done this too right.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Quadraxis wrote:
I think I did this one too-right then. It managed to get to that 180 km Station orbit with about 50 fuel left. Docking the bastard was a pain though, because it didn't have the RCS thrusters to move laterally.

The wings on the top and bottom don't weigh much. I did calculations, and it only amounts to just over 1 ton extra. It's not too much of a problem.

I have plenty of fuel as well, 3 FLT-800's. I might have done this too right.
That sounds like a performance comparable to the JE2 model I'm using. Being able to reach a station at 180km rather than one at 70km means it's more than capable of putting itself into orbit and the three FTL-800's give it the same amount of total oxidizer. You should try to see if it can make it to Duna and back like I'm doing with mine.
If it can, then you've got one hell of a good SSTO.

I do recommend having a fuel station at 70km orbit though because:
1- it's easier to reach, even if you're capable of reaching the one at 180km
2- the lower your periapse is, the more efficient it will be when burning to break orbit.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 pm

I think Ludbal Kerman may have just been lost due to a game bug. He got off the ladder and was sent speeding through space at ridiculous velocities.

Oh for fuck's sake. The entire SSTO was lost. I HAD LANDED IT DAMNIT, THEY MADE IT BACK TO KERBIN!!!! It seems Kerbal Space Program cannot handle Sidhat and Ludbal's repeatedly successful missions.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 pm

After several months of waiting, Kerbin was at the right position and Ludbal and Sidhat began their journey back home. Duna's low gravity was easy to break free of in just a bit more than a single 2-minute burn while it took about 7 2-minute periapse burns to break free of Kerbin. The result is a large surplus of fuel as seen in the screenshot below.
Spoiler:

Then with minor adjustments using a little bit more fuel and some RCS, we got a perfect encounter with Kerbin putting us right in the atmosphere for landing.
Still a quarter of our fuel remaining here.

Spoiler:

Unfortunately, these are the last images sent to us by Sidhat and Ludbal: as I was setting up the heroic landing pose screenshot, the game bugged and the JE2SP Tawrich and its two pilots were sent out into oblivion and were lost forever.
At least they made it home before their untimely deaths. The mission was a complete success but ended in tragedy.

A moment of silence for these two great and extremely patient Kerbals.

It's a shame. I was planning on sending them back to Eve and Duna with the R&D update came out.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Pat Best wrote:
I think Ludbal Kerman may have just been lost due to a game bug. He got off the ladder and was sent speeding through space at ridiculous velocities.

Oh for fuck's sake. The entire SSTO was lost. I HAD LANDED IT DAMNIT, THEY MADE IT BACK TO KERBIN!!!! It seems Kerbal Space Program cannot handle Sidhat and Ludbal's repeatedly successful missions.
I feel your pain, my first three interplanetary vessels were lost to the kraken.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Laibach wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

I feel your pain, my first three interplanetary vessels were lost to the kraken.
I won't let the Kraken win. QUICKSAVE POWERS ACTIVATE!
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 pm

THE KRAKEN IS FIGHTING BACK!!! My SSTO is going crazy, I've shut off all engines, RCS and even the SAS and it's moving around by itself

Seriously, something is actively pushing my SSTO around. Because of it I can't get a good encounter that would allow me to aerobrake. I'm gonna put all that spare fuel to good use instead.

THE KRAKEN WILL NOT WIN.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

SUCK IT, SPACE KRAKEN.
Sidhat and Ludbal Kerman return from the dead, battle the kraken near Duna, and make it back to Kerbin!
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:41 pm

But where's the dead Kraken then ?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Spoiler:

It's the black thing.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Iv121 wrote:
They didn't kill it. They merely defeated it's attempt to kill them or get them lost in space forever.
To kill it, I'll have to launch massive warships and hunt it down. I know it's near Duna now.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 pm

My kerbal scouts report a dead Kraken on the surface of one of the moons of Jool. A ship is being built to go perform an autopsy.
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Pat Best wrote:
massive warships
Lack Luster Industries has been working on building functional warships since 0.14, so far nothing has gone right. I will spare the details, but with some tinkering one of them should in theory work if the engines were to be correctly docked to the main hub. However, since these are warships, the designs until functional are corporate secrets.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I've been thinking of assembling a giant ship of the huge solid fuel boosters and just shooting it off at a planet.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 pm

I'd build giant ships all the time if it wasn't for the framerate dying everytime you look at one.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I have heard from a particular source that the group known as Squad may soon create additional stars to which to travel. In response, there is to be called a fleet gathering in orbit of Eeloo, with a great ship for the transit.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
I've been thinking of assembling a giant ship of the huge solid fuel boosters and just shooting it off at a planet.
It'd just blow itself up. Trying putting the smallest cockpit and winglets on a big SRB though, it's amazing how far you can get.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
I have heard from a particular source that the group known as Squad may soon create additional stars to which to travel. In response, there is to be called a fleet gathering in orbit of Eeloo, with a great ship for the transit.
I heard that while the idea wasn't out of the question, they'd have to go full-on sci-fi with the technology for us to actually be able to reach other stars because of the sheer amount of time it would take to reach them conventionally.
Meaning that:
1- It's unlikely to happen
2- If you gather your fleet before they actually add the new star systems and thus the technology to reach them, the fleet you'll have built and assembled at Eeloo won't have the means to reach other stars anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KSP Thread
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next