Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Name the stuff!

Go down 
+4
The Schmetterling
Tiel+
Last_Jedi_Standing
Ivan2006
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 3:50 pm

There is some stuff this mod will require to satisfy and focus every science-fiction MC fan out there on us.
Only problem: The names are pretty much copyrighted.
That´s whay I am opening this thread. Please submit names this mod might be able to use instead of the original ones.
Look up the actual descriptions of the names and maybe even fix incorrect namings (like "Turbolaser", which actually is a huge blaster)
I will keep the OP updated.
Here the first two Ideas by me:

Sonic Screwdriver = Quantum Oscillator
Lightsaber = Plasma Blade
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 5:51 pm

There should not be lightsabers in Futurecraft.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 5:59 pm

There is a wiki, you know. We've been over this before. Neutral
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:18 pm

This is a matter I have thought about. However, we aren't adding light-sabers or sonic screwdrivers.

Stargate: Byfrost

Z.P.M: Z.P.E.C (zero point energy collector)
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Why are there no points? We're the Ancients too poor for any points?
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 4:55 am

The Schmetterling wrote:
This is a matter I have thought about. However, we aren't adding light-sabers or sonic screwdrivers.

why not?

Lightsabers are like, the sci-fi melee weapon and we could just have Sonic Screwdrivers as endgame variant of all (electronic) tools in one.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Surp. Grm. Ivan Kintobor wrote:
The Schmetterling wrote:

why not?

Lightsabers are like, the sci-fi melee weapon and we could just have Sonic Screwdrivers as endgame variant of all (electronic) tools in one.

No, Lightsabers are the Starwars melee weapon. We shouldn't be so franchise-specific. Sonic Screwdrivers would be way OP and unbalanced in that endgame description. I do think that we should have a plasma blade, but not so much like the Lightsaber.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 1:13 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Surp. Grm. Ivan Kintobor wrote:
The Schmetterling wrote:

why not?

No, Lightsabers are the Starwars melee weapon. We shouldn't be so franchise-specific. Sonic Screwdrivers would be way OP and unbalanced in that endgame description. I do think that we should have a plasma blade, but not so much like the Lightsaber.
I don't think we should even have plasma blades, or melee weapons beyond maybe combat knives. It just doesn't make sense given that everyone else will have machine guns.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Plasma blades ? You mean blades made out of hot gas ? Razz
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Plasma blades ? You mean blades made out of hot gas ? Razz

Yes. Contained within warped magnetic fields. Derp.

Like this http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Type-1_Energy_Weapon/Sword
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm

A laser sword seems more perspective to me Smile . (even though its kinda hard to limit it’s length Razz)
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Iv121 wrote:
A laser sword seems more perspective to me Smile . (even though its kinda hard to limit it’s length Razz)

I don't see how that would work at all.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Why not a laser sword surrounded entirely by metal shaped like an iron sword?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 am

It will cut through the Iron ?
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 am

ACH0225 wrote:
Why not a laser sword surrounded entirely by metal shaped like an iron sword?

Because it would violate the Awesomeness Law while failing to be functional. It looks like an iron sword and works like one, except it's a little hotter.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Iv121 wrote:

No!
A Lightsaber is a Plasma blade!
Look it up on wookiepedia!
I even put a link here:
That´s the link guys.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 pm

"This article or section is in need of referencing per Wookieepedia's sourcing guidelines."

Lightsabres are LIGHT focused through a crystal and contained through artificial restrictions on the power cell to create a blade of a set length. Laser swords, essentially.

inb4 LJS
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Tiel wrote:
"This article or section is in need of referencing per Wookieepedia's sourcing guidelines."

Lightsabres are LIGHT focused through a crystal and contained through artificial restrictions on the power cell to create a blade of a set length. Laser swords, essentially.

inb4 LJS
You are wrong.
Wookieepedia wrote:
The weapon consisted of a blade of pure plasma emitted from the hilt and suspended in a force containment field.
Lightsabers are plasma.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Hey, maybe if you read my post you'd see that the article itself has some sourcing issues according to Wookiepedia itself. Maybe if you bothered to look at the talk page of that article, you'd see that it's generally a matter of confusion as to whether a lightsaber runs on plasma or some other molecule. Maybe just maybe, if you'd looked at the sources in said arguments, you'd see that the only official source of the plasma theory is Shadows of Mindor.

The very name of the weapon implies how it operates.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Tiel wrote:
Hey, maybe if you read my post you'd see that the article itself has some sourcing issues according to Wookiepedia itself. Maybe if you bothered to look at the talk page of that article, you'd see that it's generally a matter of confusion as to whether a lightsaber runs on plasma or some other molecule. Maybe just maybe, if you'd looked at the sources in said arguments, you'd see that the only official source of the plasma theory is Shadows of Mindor.

I did do that, Tiel, not being entirely stupid. And what I see is that there's an official, canon source for lightsabers being plasma, as well as mentions in several articles besides the one on lightsabers, and a solid backstory. Lightsabers being made of light, on the other hand, I find nowhere except in the arguments in the archives, and even there the general conclusion seems to be either that plasma wins or that it's unknowable. Lightsabers do not behave as if they have blades made of plasma, but they're closer to it than having blades made of light, yes? A few Dragon*Cons ago there was a panel about this. Some TV channel (Maybe the Discovery Channel? I don't remember) did a documentary on the science of Star Wars, that concluded that lightsabers were probably plasma. That's not a canon source, of course, but it's another piece of circumstantial evidence to put on the pile with the canon stuff.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tiel wrote:

inb4 LJS
You are wrong.
Wookieepedia wrote:
The weapon consisted of a blade of pure plasma emitted from the hilt and suspended in a force containment field.
Lightsabers are plasma.

Yeah make a plasma sword and call it a LIGHTsabre

And what next, the force is really just little microbes in the bloodstream that cause freaky supernatural powers..

Because who needs logic anyway

(that aside I still want a lightsabre, and the force, but none of the clone stuff, because who needs clones when you have storm troopers)
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Clones can hit the ground with rocks. Storm troopers cannot.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Tiel wrote:

I did do that, Tiel, not being entirely stupid. And what I see is that there's an official, canon source for lightsabers being plasma, as well as mentions in several articles besides the one on lightsabers, and a solid backstory. Lightsabers being made of light, on the other hand, I find nowhere except in the arguments in the archives, and even there the general conclusion seems to be either that plasma wins or that it's unknowable. Lightsabers do not behave as if they have blades made of plasma, but they're closer to it than having blades made of light, yes? A few Dragon*Cons ago there was a panel about this. Some TV channel (Maybe the Discovery Channel? I don't remember) did a documentary on the science of Star Wars, that concluded that lightsabers were probably plasma. That's not a canon source, of course, but it's another piece of circumstantial evidence to put on the pile with the canon stuff.

Lucasarts tends to name equipment in the canon according to the technology behind it. We have laser carbines and turbolasers, which happen to actually be concentrated light as opposed to blasters, which operate on plasma.

That aside, Lightsabres contain a 'focusing crystal' and a 'power cell'. With the name in mind, what's the logical conclusion there?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Tiel wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Lucasarts tends to name equipment in the canon according to the technology behind it. We have laser carbines and turbolasers, which happen to actually be concentrated light as opposed to blasters, which operate on plasma.

That aside, Lightsabres contain a 'focusing crystal' and a 'power cell'. With the name in mind, what's the logical conclusion there?
No, that's wrong too. Lasers in Star Wars are not really lasers, because real lasers can't do the things Star Wars lasers need to do. Instead, "Though based on the same principles, with their beams having a nearly identical nature, laser cannons were more powerful than similarly-sized blasters." That's from Wookieepedia's article on laser cannons. In the article on blasters, we have "The term blaster was often used interchangeably with the term laser in everyday conversation, both denoting the same type of particle beam weapon." Turbolasers are large blasters, and not all blasters use plasma. In fact, most do not. Plasma-based blasters were used by the GAR because they're a bit better against droids, but most blasters fire a 'high-energy particle beam'.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Tiel wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Well, a power cell indicates that it operates with some kind of energy (I really have no clue why this made you think of laser), and a focusing crystal implies that it's focusing something. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have a focused magnetic field (focusing crystal) that manipulates a pocket of plasma. "Light" in Lightsaber doesn't necessarily mean that it's a sword made out of light; high-energy plasma glows quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Name the stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name the stuff!   Name the stuff! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name the stuff!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next