Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Useful thing I found

Go down 
+4
Delta
fr0stbyte124
Tiel+
Captain stufuzzycat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Useful thing I found Empty
PostSubject: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 pm

I was looking on the Technic pack site, and the most recent build included this plugin that looks pretty much exactly what FC will use. Here's the link:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/transporter/
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Hate to burst your bubble but we've been over this. Look in Server Stuff.

In any case this isn't the same, really.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 pm

It is the same concept, as it uses gates to travel to different servers. I'm not saying this is what FC would use, I'm saying it's an example of what FCis going to do that proves it is possible.

Last edited by Captain stufuzzycat on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stupid autocorrect)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:57 pm

That's what everyone agreed in on the thread in Server Stuff, that it proves it's possible. I still have nary a clue how server travel is going to work, no one seems to be fond of the concept of each server being a solar system, but no one wants each to be a world either..
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:36 pm

What? Each server will be a world.
You can run multiple worlds, though.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:43 pm

It'd make more sense to have each server run a solar system so people would have local planets to explore before venturing beyond their own server.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Tiel wrote:
It'd make more sense to have each server run a solar system so people would have local planets to explore before venturing beyond their own server.

+1

I like this idea.
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 pm

arsln100 wrote:
Tiel wrote:

+1

I like this idea.

I think I first stated that idea about 8 months ago (it might have been Fr0st). Really, I thought Fr0stbyte knew that already.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 3:00 am

A server per solar system seems to be the most natural choice. Basically in tekkit they did half of the job. The second half is how do you transport the ship with the player Smile .
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:33 am

Iv121 wrote:
A server per solar system seems to be the most natural choice. Basically in tekkit they did half of the job. The second half is how do you transport the ship with the player Smile .

The transferring between worlds isn't that hard, it's the seamless transition and world generation that is.

Also, who corrected my spelling mistake in my previous post? Because I would like to shake that person's hand/paw/talon.

Then stab them in the back/abdominal cavity.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 am

Doctor, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall you making such a post..?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 am

The Doctor wrote:
arsln100 wrote:
Tiel wrote:

+1

I like this idea.

I think I first stated that idea about 8 months ago (it might have been Fr0st). Really, I thought Fr0stbyte knew that already.

This post, only 4 above your one?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:37 am

Yeah, could you please link me?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:38 am

Tiel wrote:
Yeah, could you please link me?

Sure, here you go:

https://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t1079-useful-thing-i-found#30717

8 from the top (including the opening post)!
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:42 am

I meant the post where either you or fr0st posted the solar system prospect before me pig
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:44 am

Tiel, meet me in the forum's chat-box please.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 am

Alright, I should probably elaborate on the server instance per planet thing.

I don't really care whether 1 server = 1 planet or 1 server = 1 solar system. What I care about is that resources are being allocated as effectively as possible. Honestly, running multiple planet instances within the same Java virtual machine is preferable, but it's also harder to code. Furthermore, there's not an easy way to move a planet or two onto another server without doing some fancy cloud computing tricks which I really don't want this project evolving into.

From a developmental standpoint, managing multiple planet servers on a machine is quick and easy; managing an entire solar system is much harder. Especially in a busy system.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

A server can start out as one planet, space, and a bigiant sphere/cube/octagon of a star that hurts you whenever you get close in the FC Alphas. Other planets and binary star systems could be added in a later update of FC. The most important thing is to get the mod out asap with a solid, rigid framework that will evolve into the final product.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

To conserve computing room, the planets should probably be stationary.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
To conserve computing room, the planets should probably be stationary.

I think that they should have rotation, so that you wouldn't land on the dark side of a body only to find it's noon. The approximate geometry of the planet's surface should be the visual displayed on the sphere/cube (ocean/land), but one should only see the actual landscape when it is viewed through a scope.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 am

I meant non orbital.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 am

Nah, orbits are pretty cheap. Once you have the capacity to transition from point A to point B between any two worlds, it doesn't really matter where those two worlds are in relation to one another.

If everything is moving, then plotting trajectories would be more interesting if we are using realistic scales, probably requiring something like Kerbal Space Program's nav system. On the other hand, I still think more cartoony scales would serve the mod better, but that's easy enough to adjust when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Kerbal Space Program's nav system.

Patched Conics. I'ts called Patched Conics. Perhaps putting that on something like an MFD would be "cool".
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Patched Conics, huh? Good to know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Useful thing I found   Useful thing I found Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Useful thing I found
Page 1 of 1