Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Making a Tech Tree

Go down 
+18
sarzeath
Tyranid_Player
Tiel+
Laibach
Jake Von
Hierarch Fenway
The Schmetterling
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
blockman42
Joel
Commander Error
Burnttoaster
fr0stbyte124
torrentialAberration
Last_Jedi_Standing
hyperlite
Iv121
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah, Shiva neutered the dragon..

You know, in hindsight, that must've been pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Really? I thought it would be pretty quick, not too much to cut. Twisted Evil Mad Question Exclamation Exclamation bom bom bounce confused affraid affraid Sleep Sleep santa santa santa albino sunny sunny farao king elephant lol! lol! lol! lol! flower flower study study lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tyranid_Player
Tyranid_Player

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:56 am

It would be cool if you earn the research by crafting the things.
It would allow an specialization and allow you to stop blocking crafting recipes so for example you could create an MKII Plasma gun without crafting an MKI but the gun wouldnt work or would deal less damage than standard.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Tyranid_Player wrote:
It would be cool if you earn the research by crafting the things.
It would allow an specialization and allow you to stop blocking crafting recipes so for example you could create an MKII Plasma gun without crafting an MKI but the gun wouldnt work or would deal less damage than standard.

I think it should be s realistic as possible; the first plasma gun should be cheap compared to the next one and the limitation is resources available. The first one would just be your standard plasma gun and the next one would be more specialized (electromagnetic pulse array to ruin electronics, a better magnetic manipulator to add penetration but lessen area damage, or plasma dissipation to add explosive damage). Instead of a MKI MKII ladder. This prevents one from becoming obsolete and a more technologically advanced server completely owning a less advanced one.
Back to top Go down
Jake Von
Jake Von

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Yey

Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Mca

Hope you enjoy your time here Smile .
I was actually here since January, I just never posted.
EDIT: That's longer than you've been here. ^u^
Back to top Go down
Jake Von
Jake Von

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I decided to come up with my own tech categories. And a little bit of science friendly lore (Can you blame me? I'm a man of science.). Might not be 100% feasible, but at least it's more science friendly than some Sci-Fi concepts.

Two categories with seven sub-categories each. The main difference between the two categories is that research between the two is done using very different research materials, while sub-categories inside the a category use (relatively) similar methods.

--ENGINEERING--
(Robotic Engineering) - Used in the science of robotics and AI.
(Electronic Engineering) - Used in computer and electronic science.
(Advanced Ballistics) - Used in the science of ballistics, such as static projectile and missile-based technology.
(Biochemistry) - Used in the production and science of life support.
(Metallurgy) - Used in the science of metalworking and the knowledge of metal alloys.
(Genetic Engineering) - Used in biological sciences to engineer plants and animals.
(Inorganic Chemistry) - Used in the science of general chemistry.

--PHYSICS--
(Nuclear Physics) - Used in nuclear science and engineering, such as fusion and fission reactors.
(Quantum Mechanics) - Used in the science and art of quantum engineering, such as warping, shields and jumpgates.
(Particle Physics) - Used in the technology of particle accelerators and particle guns.
(Plasma Physics) - Used in the science of plasma-based weaponry.
(Graviton Physics) - Used in the science of graviton-based devices such as articificial gravity floors.
(Laser Physics) - Used in the technology of lasers and other photonic devices.
(Electromagnetics) - Used in electric and magnetic sciences, including the use of coilguns and railguns.

A Brief Lore on:

Shielding
Shielding is a heavy energy field. Quantum Intertwining gives Shielding it's strength and stability, as the individual particles creating the Shield will attempt to stay in the same state as their sister particle. The main weakness of these shields comes randomly when the non-broken particle is influenced by it's damaged twin and decides to become damaged as well, or when both particles are damaged at the same time. These non-functioning particles decay relatively quickly, leaving part of the shield thinned and vulnerable. Most modern shields come equipped with countermeasures, such as exciting the particles in such a way that they immediately transfer part of themselves over to the thinned area to repair it while the shield generator continues to generate new particles to replace them. The particles act differently in different states. A "chilled" particle will likely fail to provide evenly distributed protection under fire, but as they do not attempt to move much, they tend to stay rather close to the original shield flux, preventing them from wandering off and decaying, therefore putting less strain on the generator to produce new shield particles. Forcefields aren't generally considered a type of shield, but they use they same physics. Forcefields, however, excite the shield particles much more than shields, and have a wider flux. This allows them to create seemingly solid barriers made from nothing but shield particles.

Gravity Floors
Gravity Floors produce a stream of very weak energy that rarely reacts with ordinary particles, but excites gravitons. These gravitons then attempt to move towards the higher concentrations of energy, producing artificial gravity in the areas that they move. Upon reaching the source, they are excited to a state where they actually push away from the energy source, moving back upwards, but in such a state that they don't produce any artificial gravity. These causes artificial gravity from gravity floors to force downwards and not upwards. Two floors will somewhat neutralize the effect where the energy streams meet, as the gravitons in those areas are attracted to both floors. The point of contact will have zero of the original gravitational effect, and the gravity will slowly increase the farther from the epicenter you go. It's not reccommended to use two perpendicular floors at the same time in close proximity, as this can damage sensitive equipment inside the floors themselves.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 pm

I agree with all but shielding. Shielding should be plasma magnetized into a coherent shape to fit around the hull.

Then again, looking back on it, yours sounds more science-y.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 am

@Jake Von

I like these sort of categories more. Specialized, but still adds opportunities for lots of different components to fall under each category. Additionally it's not limited to a specific part of the ship, like sensors or engines, which hadn't occurred to me but makes sense. Maybe we should also give bonuses for set completion like some other MMOs.
Back to top Go down
sarzeath

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 2:07 am

From the sounds of it, this sounds a lot like the research part of thaumcraft 2, and if you'll looking for ideas, I would recomend borrowing a few from them. They use a book that has tabs on the side to list the diffrent recipes, and you flip through the pages, which show the recipies, and even the device on which you build them...

If this has been mentioned before, I apologize, just my thoughts on it... Oh! and take a look at Galatic Civ 2's tech tree for some insperation... It litteraly allows you to research anything that's sci-fi-ish...
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Minecraft has a natural tech tree based on resources, I don't see the need to force more restrictions on players.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Avenger, does the word "Necro" tell you anything?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

It is alright I planned to post here soon anyway.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh all right then.
Sorry Avenger. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
kokonus
kokonus

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 am

I like the idea of a tech tree though.
But i think the mod will have over a 100 differend weapons and machines.
So it will be extremely difficult to make.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm guessing the word 'necro' really doesn't tell you anything.
Back to top Go down
kokonus
kokonus

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:

No it does not what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 pm

kokonus wrote:

A necropost, AKA necro, is to post in an old thread.
And as fas as I'm concerned, necroposting too much is a banreason.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 am

Strategion Daynel wrote:
kokonus wrote:

A necropost, AKA necro, is to post in an old thread.
And as fas as I'm concerned, necroposting too much is a banreason.
Also, you may repost on old threads if you have something important to say that isnĀ“t just a continuation of the discussion without it being a necro.
The thread may be up to 1 week old before a random repost is considered necro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a Tech Tree
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3