Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Making a Tech Tree

Go down 
+18
sarzeath
Tyranid_Player
Tiel+
Laibach
Jake Von
Hierarch Fenway
The Schmetterling
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
blockman42
Joel
Commander Error
Burnttoaster
fr0stbyte124
torrentialAberration
Last_Jedi_Standing
hyperlite
Iv121
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I know it's a bit early to talk about it but better sooner than later. I want to try and build Futurecraft's tech tree (And make a nice picture representing it Smile ). Post here entries for all different tech we talked abou:

Name

- Subcategory (see below)
- Description.
- how advanced this technology in your opinion ? (rate from 1 to 10)
- Research you think it might require.

If you don't know one of the fields mark them in red so other forum members will bring ideas about them.

Subcategories:

I think all tech should be divided into specific categories to make working with them easier. I need you advise on this one.

- Engines
- Shields
- Ballistic weapons
- Particle weapons *
- Plasmatic weapons *
- Cores
- Life support (Air pumps, gravity ...)
- Sensors and Comm
- Hull
- misc

Legit ?

* Need help to divide the weapons into sub-categories. I think it's best to have 3 weapons types that deal different damage to different types of armor, see my armor plating thread: https://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t436-armor-plating?highlight=armor

Research:

I think that the way to advance through this tech tree is research that is made in labs: You leave research material in a machine and it researches new technology from the tech tree that is later applied to create new blocks / machines (The research material is lost in the process). I need a bit of advice about the tree's subcategories. I thought about this :

- Electronic : Most of the ship's subsystems require this research sub tree, from oxygen suppliers to weapon batteries.
- Energetic : Most weapon and shield technologies require this research sub tree.
- Chemistry : Required mostly in hull technology and processing of raw materials that can be later used for other technologies.
- Tactical : Crew management , combat manoeuvres and special abilities come under this sub tree.
- Alien : Understanding of alien technology can lead to groundbreaking discoveries. Unfortunately research material is quite rare.

Seems legit ?

Last edited by Iv121 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Seems like cool ideas but someone said this in the past "I don't want to be pumping diamonds into some kind of research machine"
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:13 pm

hyperlite wrote:
Seems like cool ideas but someone said this in the past "I don't want to be pumping diamonds into some kind of research machine"
Instead of a strange machine, there should be actual NPC scientists that come and demand resources like metal and circuits and then fiddle with them. Every now and then they produce something new for you, and then you can replicate the new thing. They can also be given technology that you've captured from someone else, and they will study and reverse-engineer it. The rate of technological advancement depends on the number of scientists you have, how well trained they are, how nice a lab you've built them, and whether or not you fill their requests for resources. There is also a small risk of them screaming things like "FOOLS! They laughed at me, but I'll show them! I'll show them all! AH HAH HA HAH HA!" and building massive space-lasers or bioengineering giant combat ants and then attacking your city on a strange flying device.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Executor Nom Anor wrote:
hyperlite wrote:
Instead of a strange machine, there should be actual NPC scientists that come and demand resources like metal and circuits and then fiddle with them. Every now and then they produce something new for you, and then you can replicate the new thing. They can also be given technology that you've captured from someone else, and they will study and reverse-engineer it. The rate of technological advancement depends on the number of scientists you have, how well trained they are, how nice a lab you've built them, and whether or not you fill their requests for resources. There is also a small risk of them screaming things like "FOOLS! They laughed at me, but I'll show them! I'll show them all! AH HAH HA HAH HA!" and building massive space-lasers or bioengineering giant combat ants and then attacking your city on a strange flying device.

Love it Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 pm

About the third weapon type- here are a few you could use. Explosive/missile, Biological, Physics-bending. you could also divide the energy weaponry into a few more categories, like particle-based and light based.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

It's been mentioned before, but rather than leveling up with a tech tree, you unlock further specialization.

For instance energy weapons could be specialized into lasers, plasma, electromagnetic, and so on. Then lasers could specialize to different classes of laser and unlock higher level laser weaponry.

Sensors could specialize for long range, combat, or survey, and active or passive subcategories.

Probably won't be any alien races, though there will likely be artifacts.
Back to top Go down
Burnttoaster
Recruit
Recruit
Burnttoaster

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I don't like the idea for making this a collecting game, it should be that a fractions members would gain exp from doing an assortment for things that the mod would offer, things like gathering resources, buying or selling items, building stuff, be it buildings or ships, destroying enemy's ships, capturing planet or solar systems, and other stuff. All the exp would pool into the factions over all level, and when enough exp is gained, the fraction would level, on leveling, it would gain a research point, these points would be placed into the tech trees by the fractions leader, and the tech tree, as the fraction get farther down a tree the more complex it would get, so that would mean that the higher a factions level, the more research point they would get upon leveling, to balance out the trees complexity. For finding wrecks and reverse-engineering them, I find that a little unfair to those fractions not at the right place at the right time, cause a new fraction could get to the final tier in a tree with out doing any work at all, it should be if you find a wreak you can reverse engineer it, but you wouldn't get the technology out of it but research points, and the number would bepend on the condition, how close you are on the tech tree to the tech you are trying to reverse engineer. As for the scientist idea, here's my take on it, instead of getting new tech from them you would get a consent stream for exp, how much would bepend on how many you have, the equipment they have, and how smart they are, this will also be a variable in how mush rp you get from reverse engineering.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 pm

I can do a couple tech trees, probly of Projectile (ballistic) weapons and maybe hull.

Unless Iv's doing them all..?
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Burnttoaster wrote:
I don't like the idea for making this a collecting game, it should be that a fractions members would gain exp from doing an assortment for things that the mod would offer, things like gathering resources, buying or selling items, building stuff, be it buildings or ships, destroying enemy's ships, capturing planet or solar systems, and other stuff. All the exp would pool into the factions over all level, and when enough exp is gained, the fraction would level, on leveling, it would gain a research point, these points would be placed into the tech trees by the fractions leader, and the tech tree, as the fraction get farther down a tree the more complex it would get, so that would mean that the higher a factions level, the more research point they would get upon leveling, to balance out the trees complexity. For finding wrecks and reverse-engineering them, I find that a little unfair to those fractions not at the right place at the right time, cause a new fraction could get to the final tier in a tree with out doing any work at all, it should be if you find a wreak you can reverse engineer it, but you wouldn't get the technology out of it but research points, and the number would bepend on the condition, how close you are on the tech tree to the tech you are trying to reverse engineer. As for the scientist idea, here's my take on it, instead of getting new tech from them you would get a consent stream for exp, how much would bepend on how many you have, the equipment they have, and how smart they are, this will also be a variable in how mush rp you get from reverse engineering.

It's spelled "faction" not "fraction".
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm

It's not working like that mate:) (at least not in my vision) . I divided the research into something more realistic, so let's say a plasma cannon will have a plasma injection core research in the energetic tech tree and turret chassis in the electronic tree.

And Catsmouth you also didn't get it. Explosives and different warheads for explosives go under ballistic weapons.

I thought about dividing energetic into Plasmatic and Particle weapons. Plasmatic weapons generally shoot plasma balls while Particle weapons bombard the target with particles such as Lasers and my BEAM cannons.

Vinyl Scratch wrote:

It's spelled "faction" not "fraction".

It's a bit trollish you know ...

Just to let you know how I plan to build the tech tree: You'll submit here all tech pieces we thought about and I see what are they built of (in terms of research). I will choose repeating research and put it in the tech tree depending on the power it provides.
Back to top Go down
Burnttoaster
Recruit
Recruit
Burnttoaster

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I was talking about tech trees not just one if thats what you thought I meant

I thought fraction was another way you could spell it
if its not it should be it still works

And a kenetic tech tree

Last edited by Burnttoaster on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:34 pm

There should also be an archive block (machine) that stores the info on all of the tech that you have acquired so you can look at the recipes ect. for further use.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:07 am

Blockman what kind of research you want to put under "Kinetic" category ? (Like the descriptions I wrote)

So if we mostly agree on basics let's get to work. Post here your tech pieces like written above.

Last edited by Iv121 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 5:04 am

Iv121 wrote:
So if we ,ostly
I guess that is supposed to be mostly?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 8:32 am

I think we should use the same tech tree as regular minceraft.
None.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:42 am

ACH0225 wrote:
None.

Minecraft has a tech tree Razz .

Wooden block -> workbench ->

-> Wooden axe -> wooden block II
-> Wooden Pickaxe -> stone block ->
-> Wooden sword -> Strings -> Bow
-> Wooden hoe -> Farming -> bread -> cake

-> Stone axe ...
-> Stone Pickaxe ...
-> Stone sword ...
-> Stone hoe ...
-> Furnance ...

You got the picture ...

Anyway working with this tech tree is difficult and complicated. It is easier to work in a better defined tech tree like we plan to make.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

How would we make the tech tree.Like what would it look like and how would we go into it to level up?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 pm

I believe it's a minor issue. Anyway anyone submits any technology or you gonna criticize all day ?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Iv121 wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
None.

Minecraft has a tech tree Razz .

Wooden block -> workbench ->

-> Wooden axe -> wooden block II
-> Wooden Pickaxe -> stone block ->
-> Wooden sword -> Strings -> Bow
-> Wooden hoe -> Farming -> bread -> cake

-> Stone axe ...
-> Stone Pickaxe ...
-> Stone sword ...
-> Stone hoe ...

-> Furnance ...

You got the picture ...

Anyway working with this tech tree is difficult and complicated. It is easier to work in a better defined tech tree like we plan to make.

So, if I go on a server and find a chest with diamonds and wood by a workbench I can't make a diamond pickaxe?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey I gonna tell you a secret - if you find a level 100 Plasma gun you can put it somewhere even if you are level 10. Yes it may cause some trouble in the pickaxe case but the process will still be similar: stone -> stone tools and furnace. In order to avoid those problems and simplify the work with the tech tree we make a clear tech tree.
Back to top Go down
Burnttoaster
Recruit
Recruit
Burnttoaster

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Jack Root wrote:
How would we make the tech tree.Like what would it look like and how would we go into it to level up?

Well with my idea when you level the to would be in the tree menu
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Hull tech tree:
Spoiler:
Just some basic stuff. THIS. WILL. CHANGE. BEFORE. RELEASE.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Error did you just change avatar... again?
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes. Yes, I did.

Problem?

::trollface::
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Yes. Yes, I did.

Problem?

::trollface::

No, not at all. This one is actually cooler than the last one.
Which was slightly less cool than the one before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making a Tech Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Tech Tree   Making a Tech Tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a Tech Tree
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next