Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Re: Space, the final frontier

Go down 
+6
Pat Best
Keon
Avenger_7
Potato
The Schmetterling
Tiel+
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Re: Space, the final frontier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:43 pm

How does being an engineer for 30 years make one the absolute authority on what goes on in space? The message he's giving is 'we're already wasting billions on our space program, let's spend even more on a huge spaceship!' when he hardly seems to understand the happenings on the I.S.S.

Also, why was the thread locked? I saw Shiva cursing a lot but I don't understand why..
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:44 pm

I think it went off topic.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
REALLY? An thread in the Off-Topic section went off topic. Who cares? I though we only cared about all the other threads XD
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
How does being an engineer for 30 years make one the absolute authority on what goes on in space? The message he's giving is 'we're already wasting billions on our space program, let's spend even more on a huge spaceship!' when he hardly seems to understand the happenings on the I.S.S.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the space program needs to stop standing around with its thumbs up its ass and start being more productive. The I.S.S. is more of a research institution for esrth-based technologies than anything else;'it's time we start making progress in other areas as well.

Khmac wrote:
Lord Mackeroth wrote:
REALLY? An thread in the Off-Topic section went off topic. Who cares? I though we only cared about all the other threads XD

The off-topic section is about threads that are not related to the mod, not threads that are supposed to go off topic.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Sir Tielton wrote:

I think the point he is trying to make is that the space program needs to stop standing around with its thumbs up its ass and start being more productive. The I.S.S. is more of a research institution for esrth-based technologies than anything else;'it's time we start making progress in other areas as well.

Khmac wrote:
Lord Mackeroth wrote:

The off-topic section is about threads that are not related to the mod, not threads that are supposed to go off topic.
Meh. There isn't a rule that says that... >_> Is there?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:03 pm

It got locked because Shiva got mad that you all didn't instantly accept the idea and worship her for thinking of it. Now, I could care less about that, but then she edited my post.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Keon wrote:
It got locked because Shiva got mad that you all didn't instantly accept the idea and worship her for thinking of it. Now, I could care less about that, but then she edited my post.

Hey I'm all for awesome space ships and travelling in space and all, just... not the enterprise, dammit.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:33 am

It may be an icon. But seriously, couldn't they of used their imagination?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:33 am

Well, in all seriousness, we know ships will be borg cubes/spheres. Unless they care about aesthetics, which they won't if aesthetics costs them 1000000000 monies.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Keon wrote:
Well, in all seriousness, we know ships will be borg cubes/spheres. Unless they care about aesthetics, which they won't if aesthetics costs them 1000000000 monies.

I think that they will be designed for efficiency, but not made to that extent.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:26 am

Borg cubes are not aerodynamic, which is actually important in space. At the velocities those ships would necessarily attain for interplanetary travel, the impact of a small object on a perpendicular angle will probably result in the deaths of everyone on the ship. That is why the Enterprise is a good design, the main populated area has a high angle of deflection.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:57 am

Avenger_7 wrote:
Borg cubes are not aerodynamic, which is actually important in space. At the velocities those ships would necessarily attain for interplanetary travel, the impact of a small object on a perpendicular angle will probably result in the deaths of everyone on the ship. That is why the Enterprise is a good design, the main populated area has a high angle of deflection.
You do know that deflector shields serve exactly that purpose?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:25 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:

We don't have deflector shields.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:45 am

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:

We don't have deflector shields.

But... but I already built a missile launcher for my Borg cube!
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:51 am

and i built a borg cube for my borg cube. didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:31 pm

yo, dawg

I put a borg cube, in your borg cube, so you can dowhateverthehellborgsdo, while you dowhateverthehellborgsdo

Re: Space, the final frontier Yo_dawg_cars

anyway, shiva seems to take people disagreeing with her very badly
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:

Unfortunately, the Enterprise also has many extremely weak areas that, if struck by small object and those velocities, would tear the ship apart. Namely, those little twigs of metal that hold the saucer, the engines, and the central section in one piece.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Why would aerodynamics be important in space...?
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
Why would aerodynamics be important in space...?
I said nothing about aerodynamics.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:38 pm

But Avenger did.

chatbox
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
But Avenger did.

chatbox

And then he also said that they were unimportant.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm

He said aerodynamics in space are 'actually important'.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

He said that an aerodynamic designs high angles of deflections were also needed in space, not that it had to be aerodynamic, just similar to an aerodynamic design

I think
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
He said aerodynamics in space are 'actually important'.

Oh, coulda sworn that read "actually not important", but I guess it must have to do with the deflective surfaces in the rest of his argument.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:53 pm

It's two sentences. Contradiction is unfeasible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Space, the final frontier   Re: Space, the final frontier Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: Space, the final frontier
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next