Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 
 

 Space... the Final Frontier...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shiva
Admin
avatar

Posts : 488
Join date : 2011-08-30
Age : 23

PostSubject: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 5:29 am

So I was browsing about last night when I saw a news article about an engineer with a rather grand dream...

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/our-space-problem

I happen to think he has a brilliant idea. If I could TL;DR it for you all and do it justice, I would. Read that page and then look about the site - it's all extremely well thought-out, as it should be. The man's been an engineer for 30 years.

And I really do mean read everything in the site. It explains... a lot.

_________________
Velocitas eradico; At terminatio velocitas, celeritas occidit.
AVE IMPERIATUS FERRUM,
AVE IMPERATOR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 am

Oh someone had already tried to build one in 1:1 scale in lass Vegas... could be a good business but the plan was closed as the investors thought its too daring ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 10:45 am

I know how to tl;dr it.

He wants to build the Enterprise.

e: And I'm seeing some holes in this.

e2: And why the USS Enterprise? He points out that it's a functional design and that he wants one build every generation, but never explains why we can't use, say, a cruiser from Mass Effect, or I don't know, an original cheaper and more capable design?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 11:03 am

Why...why... out of all the ships of all sci-fi franchises of the entire world, why pick the Enterprise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm getting a DB error.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Keon wrote:
I'm getting a DB error.

Me too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 254
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 19
Location : In my cloaked battle cruiser above Fiji.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Laserbilly wrote:
Keon wrote:
I'm getting a DB error.

Me too
Just refresh the page once or twice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shiva
Admin
avatar

Posts : 488
Join date : 2011-08-30
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Why use the Enterprise design? Because it's well-known the world over and his main point is to get the public enthused about space travel.

Plus, come on, you could have a functional, fugly looking spacecraft or you can have an iconic, awesome spacecraft that functions equally well.

_________________
Velocitas eradico; At terminatio velocitas, celeritas occidit.
AVE IMPERIATUS FERRUM,
AVE IMPERATOR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Millennium Falcon might be more recognizable.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 254
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 19
Location : In my cloaked battle cruiser above Fiji.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Keon wrote:
Millennium Falcon might be more recognizable.

Star Wars is a COPY of Star Trek, just sayin'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Khmac wrote:
Keon wrote:
Millennium Falcon might be more recognizable.

Star Wars is a COPY of Star Trek, just sayin'
YOU LIE! I challenge you to support that statement. You will not be able to do it.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 254
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 19
Location : In my cloaked battle cruiser above Fiji.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Khmac wrote:
Keon wrote:
Millennium Falcon might be more recognizable.

Star Wars is a COPY of Star Trek, just sayin'
YOU LIE! I challenge you to support that statement. You will not be able to do it.
Star Trek came first, Star Wars copied the warp, weapons, and shields.

You have 1337 posts, cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
avatar

Posts : 906
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Flying my logic bomber.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Look, so many inventions have come out of Star Trek it isnt even funny.

Star Trek is a symbol of the final frontier, and more importantly human acomplishment and ability. In fact its one of the only Military Sci-Fi series where humanity isnt divided into at least a couple hundred groups of stubborn people. Therefore it is a symbol of unity, something sorely needed within todays world.

Star Wars is too alien, no recognizable heman cooperation whatsoever.


I do respect your opinion however and recognize its validity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 254
Join date : 2012-03-11
Age : 19
Location : In my cloaked battle cruiser above Fiji.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.

Give me an example! (Other than books >_>)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Khmac wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Khmac wrote:
Keon wrote:
Millennium Falcon might be more recognizable.

Star Wars is a COPY of Star Trek, just sayin'
YOU LIE! I challenge you to support that statement. You will not be able to do it.
Star Trek came first, Star Wars copied the warp, weapons, and shields.

You have 1337 posts, cool
Warp: Star Wars doesn't use warp drive. That part of your post is nonsense.
Weapons: OMG They fight with light, too! Yes, thank you. We know that. Energy weapons are in almost every science fiction franchise.
Shields: Likewise. Their ships have shields. So do all other starships. The shields don't even work the same way.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Khmac wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.

Give me an example! (Other than books >_>)
FTL travel that's not in a book, for whatever reason: Battlestar Galactica
Energy weapons: District 9
Shields on starships: Mass Effect

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Khmac wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.

Give me an example! (Other than books >_>)
FTL travel that's not in a book, for whatever reason: Battlestar Galactica
Energy weapons: District 9
Shields on starships: Mass Effect

Those Came before Star Trek scratch I wasnt aware
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Happyman wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Khmac wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.

Give me an example! (Other than books >_>)
FTL travel that's not in a book, for whatever reason: Battlestar Galactica
Energy weapons: District 9
Shields on starships: Mass Effect

Those Came before Star Trek scratch I wasnt aware
No, I don't think any of them did.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Happyman wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Khmac wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Mass effect's ships aside from the Normandy, Geth and Quarian hulls are not functionally designed, basically they are giant guns with wings and engines. The Enterprise has relatively low mass/cross-sectional area, as well as areas for all necessary rooms/systems built into the design. The warp nacelles are even aligned on a plane with the majority of the ship's mass, although I personally favor the smaller ship from Wrath of Khan. And no, I'm not a Trekkie.

P.S. - The ideas of laser weaponry, FTL travel and energy shielding weren't unique to Star Trek when if first came out, therefore your argument is invalid.

Give me an example! (Other than books >_>)
FTL travel that's not in a book, for whatever reason: Battlestar Galactica
Energy weapons: District 9
Shields on starships: Mass Effect

Those Came before Star Trek scratch I wasnt aware
No, I don't think any of them did.

Ah I believed that he was referencing the P.S up there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 10:35 pm

You do realize this is basically the same as making the first actual space vessel into a symbol of the catholic church?

ITS A BAD IDEA. If anything, it's a publicity stunt for Star Trek.

Besides, it's much more likely such a craft would end up looking like the Normandy, not because I'm a fan of ME, but because the Normandy looks like an advanced version of the shuttles we have today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Pat Best wrote:
You do realize this is basically the same as making the first actual space vessel into a symbol of the catholic church?

ITS A BAD IDEA. If anything, it's a publicity stunt for Star Trek.

Besides, it's much more likely such a craft would end up looking like the Normandy, not because I'm a fan of ME, but because the Normandy looks like an advanced version of the shuttles we have today.

Look Religon and science are two totally different things. All i am saying is that Star Trek should be more representitive than any thing else that is fictional.

Trust me i would much rather that they arn't able to do anything crazy before i get a crack at it, with originality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Happyman wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
You do realize this is basically the same as making the first actual space vessel into a symbol of the catholic church?

ITS A BAD IDEA. If anything, it's a publicity stunt for Star Trek.

Besides, it's much more likely such a craft would end up looking like the Normandy, not because I'm a fan of ME, but because the Normandy looks like an advanced version of the shuttles we have today.

Look Religon and science are two totally different things. All i am saying is that Star Trek should be more representitive than any thing else that is fictional.

Trust me i would much rather that they arn't able to do anything crazy before i get a crack at it, with originality.

Science and religion may be two different things, but followers are the same. I'm saying the first real spaceship made by mankind should not be representative of something that already exists be it the Enterprise, the holy cross, a swastika, a country's national animal, or the <CENSORED> easter rabbit.

The Enterprise is the symbol of Star Trek and the 20th Century, we are now in the 21st Century and it's time for something new which represents our generation, not yesterday's. Something purely and neutrally human.

The only thing it should represent is the people who built it. It should be its own symbol.
Putting another symbol onto it will diminish the importance of the accomplishement itself only to bring fame to the other symbol.

Basically, instead of saying "This is the greatest achievement in the history of all mankind to date" it would be saying "This is Star Trek"
And don't give me that "the enterprise is well known and represents freedom and blah blah" BS. When I think of freedom, space exploration and the future, I assure that the Enterprise is NEVER on my mind unless someone else put it there by force, and you can't just assume that the rest of the world doesn't feel this way as well because a bunch of trekkies do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sun May 13, 2012 2:27 am

Pat Best wrote:
Happyman wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
You do realize this is basically the same as making the first actual space vessel into a symbol of the catholic church?

ITS A BAD IDEA. If anything, it's a publicity stunt for Star Trek.

Besides, it's much more likely such a craft would end up looking like the Normandy, not because I'm a fan of ME, but because the Normandy looks like an advanced version of the shuttles we have today.

Look Religon and science are two totally different things. All i am saying is that Star Trek should be more representitive than any thing else that is fictional.

Trust me i would much rather that they arn't able to do anything crazy before i get a crack at it, with originality.

Science and religion may be two different things, but followers are the same. I'm saying the first real spaceship made by mankind should not be representative of something that already exists be it the Enterprise, the holy cross, a swastika, a country's national animal, or the <CENSORED> easter rabbit.

The Enterprise is the symbol of Star Trek and the 20th Century, we are now in the 21st Century and it's time for something new which represents our generation, not yesterday's. Something purely and neutrally human.

The only thing it should represent is the people who built it. It should be its own symbol.
Putting another symbol onto it will diminish the importance of the accomplishement itself only to bring fame to the other symbol.

Basically, instead of saying "This is the greatest achievement in the history of all mankind to date" it would be saying "This is Star Trek"
And don't give me that "the enterprise is well known and represents freedom and blah blah" BS. When I think of freedom, space exploration and the future, I assure that the Enterprise is NEVER on my mind unless someone else put it there by force, and you can't just assume that the rest of the world doesn't feel this way as well because a bunch of trekkies do.

The only thing i heard out of your post was AMERICA(dont ask how as i am not aware).
legitimate point. But like i said before i wanna chance to do somethin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happyman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 19
Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   Sun May 13, 2012 2:50 am

spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
its 2 in the morning
uujjjjjjjjbghuguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Space... the Final Frontier...   

Back to top Go down
 
Space... the Final Frontier...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Sending keys: Ctrl + Space
» [jdrama / jmovie] Hana Yori Dango & HYD Final
» Final Fantasy IV Complete for eshop
» Review: Dead Space Extraction (Wii Retail)
» Who do you think the final boss of Paper Mario Sticker Star will be?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: