Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Sci-Fi Franchises

Go down 
+24
Ivan2006
Abaddon the Despoiler
Avenger_7
Happyman
Potato
Pat Best
Joel
Cheatmaster
fr0stbyte124
Shiva
Dux Tell31
ACH0225
Hierarch Fenway
Haycalon
Commander Kobialka
Brz99
Son of Wolves
The Schmetterling
superninjakiwi
Tiel+
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Keon
Laserbilly
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Haycalon
Haycalon

Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises    Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Okay. Can I just have everyone clearly state what Fleet they think would win in an epic star battle? I'd like to have some more debate, and I also want to see which franchises are the most popular choices for the conflict. Me, I say Mass Effect would win.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 2:06 am

Legion wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
Uh you read wrong the turians are considered the backbone of the council's security. With the asari tech and their combat knowledge they are the strongest military in the council.

Uh...that's what I said?

Sry I misread your post it looked for like "the weakest space faring race .... turians ... "
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 3:16 am

haycalon wrote:
Legion wrote:
Stop. With. The. Quote. Chain.

In Mass Effect,

Humans have multiple squadrons of Cruisers that are around the size of an Imperial I class Star Destroyer. I'm not informed as to the war assets in ME3, but they have at least 8 fleets of these, along with dreadnoughts approximately 1/3rds as big as an SSD. They only have 6-9 of these, however dreadnoughts in the ME universe fire slugs that due to sheer velocity have a destructive force 3x that of the Hiroshima nuke once every three seconds. Were we to draw up an engagement with all of humanity's forces, that's over the power of 360 nukes going off in the opposing fleet per minute, nevermind the cruisers and frigates, or GARDIAN defenses and kinetic barriers.

And this is ME's weakest spacefaring race. The Turians have 39 dreadnoughts with a correspondingly much larger fleet.

With the Empire fighting their own cancer within their state, the Mass Effect Combined Fleet would wipe the floor with them.

Exactly. Nice to know there are other smart ME fans in this discussion. ME would beat BSG in a heartbeat, the Covenant would put up a fight but would eventually be taken down, and ME would be able to decimate the Imperial Navy because of the sheer variation and adaptability of every fleet of the Allies.

Congratulations on receiving a mute.

Firstly, back up. BSG has a tactical FTL capability that is literally unmatched by any sci-fi I've yet read. If the Colonial Fleet (Pre-Cylon Attack) couldn't simply overwhelm ME with sheer weight (additionally remember, the Galactica, without most of her weapons and armor, weighed in at a whopping 44 million tons - and mass counts for a shiteload when you're dealing with kinetic weapons like ME's), then they would nimbly nip about them in FTL, oh, and, by the way, each Colonial warship has two FTL drives so that one can spool up while the other's in use. Their armor would literally shrug off that small a nuclear blast, and then OH SNAP! you've got the Battlestar's 55 Heavy Anti-Ship Guns (not including the six monsters on the prow) whaling the crap out of everything in all directions, in addition to 12 nuclear missile tubes going into rapid fire mode, which, judging by the damage done to one particular Basestar (can't recall the episode name) with one hit...

And that's not even mentioning what the Battlestar's flak guns will do to fighters and return-fire missiles.

BSG and ME are fairly evenly matched.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:15 am

haycalon wrote:
Legion wrote:

In Mass Effect,

Humans have multiple squadrons of Cruisers that are around the size of an Imperial I class Star Destroyer. I'm not informed as to the war assets in ME3, but they have at least 8 fleets of these, along with dreadnoughts approximately 1/3rds as big as an SSD. They only have 6-9 of these, however dreadnoughts in the ME universe fire slugs that due to sheer velocity have a destructive force 3x that of the Hiroshima nuke once every three seconds. Were we to draw up an engagement with all of humanity's forces, that's over the power of 360 nukes going off in the opposing fleet per minute, nevermind the cruisers and frigates, or GARDIAN defenses and kinetic barriers.

And this is ME's weakest spacefaring race. The Turians have 39 dreadnoughts with a correspondingly much larger fleet.

With the Empire fighting their own cancer within their state, the Mass Effect Combined Fleet would wipe the floor with them.

Exactly. Nice to know there are other smart ME fans in this discussion. ME would beat BSG in a heartbeat, the Covenant would put up a fight but would eventually be taken down, and ME would be able to decimate the Imperial Navy because of the sheer variation and adaptability of every fleet of the Allies.
This list includes 182 ship classes used by the Galactic Empire. That's plenty. Now stop saying the Imperial Fleet is too uniform!
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

W8 I thought you're a Jedi not a storm trooper WTH should you care about the empire ?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:30 am

Iv121 wrote:
W8 I thought you're a Jedi not a storm trooper WTH should you care about the empire ?
Jedi respect all life equally.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

The Empire is probably my favorite faction.
Back to top Go down
Haycalon
Haycalon

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises    Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:35 am

Shiva wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Legion wrote:

In Mass Effect,

Firstly, back up. BSG has a tactical FTL capability that is literally unmatched by any sci-fi I've yet read. If the Colonial Fleet (Pre-Cylon Attack) couldn't simply overwhelm ME with sheer weight (additionally remember, the Galactica, without most of her weapons and armor, weighed in at a whopping 44 million tons - and mass counts for a shiteload when you're dealing with kinetic weapons like ME's), then they would nimbly nip about them in FTL, oh, and, by the way, each Colonial warship has two FTL drives so that one can spool up while the other's in use. Their armor would literally shrug off that small a nuclear blast, and then OH SNAP! you've got the Battlestar's 55 Heavy Anti-Ship Guns (not including the six monsters on the prow) whaling the crap out of everything in all directions, in addition to 12 nuclear missile tubes going into rapid fire mode, which, judging by the damage done to one particular Basestar (can't recall the episode name) with one hit...

And that's not even mentioning what the Battlestar's flak guns will do to fighters and return-fire missiles.

The thing is, while BSG does have very good FTL capabilities, it is limited by several ways. Firstly, before a jump, the ship must recall all fighters (or leave them behind). Next, Galactica class Battlestars must retract all weapon and flight pods before jump or risk heavy damage. While The Battlestars are show to major powerhouses in BSG, the issue I have is that 1, they have no method of shielding, and 2, they rely purely on convention weapons. The problem with a lack of shields is that every impact is directly hitting your ship. And consider the Dreadnoughts main gun. It accelerates a 20 kilogram slug to 1.3% of the speed of light. These impact the the force of a 38 kiloton bomb. And the Dreadnoughts main gun can fire every two seconds. A Battlestar might be able to simple shrug off a small nuke, but how about 15 impacting in the space of 30 seconds? They ship would, at the very least, be crippled. And this is not even factoring Thanix weapons, which managed to destroy a cruiser slightly smaller than the Galactica in two shots. And the cannons used in that fight were mounted on a tiny frigate. A true, more advanced variation, mounted on a cruiser, would be able to output a staggering amount of damage.

The Battlestars have another issue: They have to rely on powerful, but conventional weapons. Their standard anti-ship weapon is a high explosive shell launched from a gun. These can do great damage to unshielded targets, but the ships in ME have very strong shields. Not to mention the fact that the ships from ME outrange BSG. And, while the flack wall is impressive, ME is not reliant upon fighters, unlike the Colonial Fleet, and the ME system of point-defense is nigh on unreachable against single targets. Ships in ME use the Guardian system, which involves a series of lasers which literally melt incoming missiles and fighters. There is no way to avoid these, as the beams are instantaneous in the ranges they would be engaging missiles. And the Colonial fleet relies upon their fighters to help establish a flack wall and to basically act as a layer of defense. While Vipers are maneuverable, they don't have shields, so they would be stuck whittling away at the barriers of an Alliance fighter while a single, well-placed shot would destroy the Viper.

The third and final weakness in the Colonial fleet is that of the numbers game. Before the Cylon offensive, the Colonies had somewhere in the realm of 120 active Battlestars. Factor in maybe 3000 smaller ships and support vessels, and they have a fairly strong Fleet. The migrant fleet alone has 50,000 vessels. Combined, the Allies have over 176 Dreadnoughts, each slightly smaller than a Battlestar. The Allies would significantly outnumber the Colonies, so even if the Battlestars took out 10 ships each, they would still be destroyed.

Okay, I've put some research into this, so please let me know if I got something wrong! I don't want to give the impression that I hate BSG or am an ME fanboy, I just think that the ME forces would win in an engagement.

Last edited by haycalon on Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:37 am

Shiva wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Legion wrote:

In Mass Effect,

So you muted him for agreeing with me?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:53 am

We'll you are bound to loose eventually so your choice is somewhat weird ...
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:22 am

haycalon wrote:
Shiva wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Legion wrote:

In Mass Effect,

The thing is, while BSG does have very good FTL capabilities, it is limited by several ways. Firstly, before a jump, the ship must recall all fighters (or leave them behind). Next, Galactica class Battlestars must retract all weapon and flight pods before jump or risk heavy damage. While The Battlestars are show to major powerhouses in BSG, the issue I have is that 1, they have no method of shielding, and 2, they rely purely on convention weapons. The problem with a lack of shields is that every impact is directly hitting your ship. And consider the Dreadnoughts main gun. It accelerates a 20 kilogram slug to 1.3% of the speed of light. These impact the the force of a 38 kiloton bomb. And the Dreadnoughts main gun can fire every two seconds. A Battlestar might be able to simple shrug off a small nuke, but how about 15 impacting in the space of 30 seconds? They ship would, at the very least, be crippled. And this is not even factoring Thanix weapons, which managed to destroy a cruiser slightly smaller than the Galactica in two shots. And the cannons used in that fight were mounted on a tiny frigate. A true, more advanced variation, mounted on a cruiser, would be able to output a staggering amount of damage.

The Battlestars have another issue: They have to rely on powerful, but conventional weapons. Their standard anti-ship weapon is a high explosive shell launched from a gun. These can do great damage to unshielded targets, but the ships in ME have very strong shields. Not to mention the fact that the ships from ME outrange BSG. And, while the flack wall is impressive, ME is not reliant upon fighters, unlike the Colonial Fleet, and the ME system of point-defense is nigh on unreachable against single targets. Ships in ME use the Guardian system, which involves a series of lasers which literally melt incoming missiles and fighters. There is no way to avoid these, as the beams are instantaneous in the ranges they would be engaging missiles. And the Colonial fleet relies upon their fighters to help establish a flack wall and to basically act as a layer of defense. While Vipers are maneuverable, they don't have shields, so they would be stuck whittling away at the barriers of an Alliance fighter while a single, well-placed shot would destroy the Viper.

The third and final weakness in the Colonial fleet is that of the numbers game. Before the Cylon offensive, the Colonies had somewhere in the realm of 120 active Battlestars. Factor in maybe 3000 smaller ships and support vessels, and they have a fairly strong Fleet. The migrant fleet alone has 50,000 vessels. Combined, the Allies have over 176 Dreadnoughts, each slightly smaller than a Battlestar. The Allies would significantly outnumber the Colonies, so even if the Battlestars took out 10 ships each, they would still be destroyed.

Okay, I've put some research into this, so please let me know if I got something wrong! I don't want to give the impression that I hate BSG or am an ME fanboy, I just think that the ME forces would win in an engagement.

I personally find it quite strange that all the BSG ships rely on technology (excluding propulsion) that we have today, or worse: that seems old fashion. They rely on telephones with cords, non-touch screen computers, primitive projectile weaponry (as the Asgard would put it), and many other things which I can't name off the top of my head.

I wonder what would happen if a Battlestar met a Daedalus-Class ship...
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Lord Mackeroth wrote:

I personally find it quite strange that all the BSG ships rely on technology (excluding propulsion) that we have today, or worse: that seems old fashion. They rely on telephones with cords, non-touch screen computers, primitive projectile weaponry (as the Asgard would put it), and many other things which I can't name off the top of my head.

There's actually a canon reason for that. The Cylons, being computer organisms, opened their assault with a massive computer virus, wiping out a lot of new tech or turning it to their uses. The crew of the Galactica pulled out all the old equipment and plugged it in its' place, as the older tech was nigh-unhackable due to sheer simplicity. That's one reason why you see telephones with cords - it's another reason why we never see many of the Mk VII and VIII Vipers, instead the good old Mk IIs that were in the original series. The VIIs and VIIIs actually use rail driver weaponry rather than stupidly-high-powered machineguns.

So there's actually a perfectly logical reason for the old tech. Watch Caprica and you'll see some of the more advanced tech. Also a lot of older tech, too, but eh.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Итак, есть ли
еще почему я должен участвовать в этом? Во всяком случае, Stargate и Star Wars то, что я, кажется, нравится.
Так что, да.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:25 am

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Итак, есть ли
еще почему я должен участвовать в этом? Во всяком случае, Stargate и Star Wars то, что я, кажется, нравится.
Так что, да.

Next Russian post is a 3-day ban.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:00 am

Keon is assuming control.

Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Assuming_control_everywhere
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:11 am

Quote :
but the ships in ME have very strong shields

Wait what? In all my ME playtime I have not seen any ship's shields do anything useful against ANYTHING, except for Reaper shields. ME Kinetic barriers go down really fast.

Besides, Galacticas can withstand direct nuclear blasts and suffer only some minor surface hull breaches. No shields but the armor they're packing is tough.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:25 am

Sir Tielton wrote:

In Mass Effect,

Alliance Dreadnaughts are only 1km in length, whereas your average Star Destroyer is 1.6km in length, and a super star destroyer reaching for 15km in length, if I recall correctly.

Then there's the average SoaSE frigate matching alliance dreadnaughts at 1km, the average cruiser at 2km in length, matching the biggest of reapers, the average capital ship at 5km, and the average titan at 20km. Then there's the massive star bases I haven't checked out the size of yet. Something tells me they'll be near citadel size.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 2:28 am

Laserbilly wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
laserbilly wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Kobialka wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
haycalon wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
haycalon wrote:
This is one of the primary reasons Mass Effect is my favorite Sci-Fi series ever. Of all time. Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 My-fleet-of-awesomeness

What am I looking at here?

That is a small-scale image of the final push into the Sol relay in the conclusion of Mass Effect 3. It is a combination of all of the most powerful forces in the ME galaxy. It is indicative to me of the massive size, scale, and detail of the ME universe.
And it would be blown out of space by the Imperial Navy.

That's not really a fair statement. Of course the Imperials would win a battle against any other sci-fi franchise, their technology is hundreds and hundreds of years ahead of any other franchise. Once again, this is like batman arm-wrestling superman...

But if you want to go that route, I'm betting the Empire from the Foundation series would slaughter the Imperial Navy.
What?! Superman would beat the @#$% out of Batman! Batman doesn't even have superpowers!

I'm pretty sure that's what I was trying to get across to you. Yes, an empire that spans an entire galaxy will most likely be able to destroy a nation that only has had a couple centuries to explore their neighboring star systems....What I'm trying to say is, where is the fun in that? Of course your franchise can beat any other fleet in open combat, its been imagined thousands of years further into the future than any other futuristic franchise! When you make comments like that, you sound like Cartman five minutes and twenty-one seconds into this episode of South Park: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s08e01-good-times-with-weapons.
Nooo.... Star Wars is set a long time ago.
Spoiler:
You're avoiding the issue.
I don't think that Star Wars would mop the floor with any series. Mass Effect, 40K, and several other series would provide a serious challenge. Plus, the Empire has too little specialization. And Tie fighters suck...

^ most more modern franchises would beat the Empires A**. The Empire just sucks. The Rebel's suck. The group in Star Wars that has the best chance against forces in other franchises is the Trade Federation. They would also get their A**** kicked by any other franchise. Mass Effect, Maybe Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica, 40K, even HALO would DESTROY any force from Star Wars. Sorry to say it.

No, I very much disagree. While the Empire ships are not as numerous, and suffer from uniformity, they have extremely advanced weaponry. BSG would loose really quickly, Halo is split, because the covenant have plasma weapons and shields, the humans would be destroyed VERY fast. Yes, the Empire is not the most powerful, but it is powerful.
Around the time of the Battle of Yavin, the Imperial Fleet included 25 thousand Imperial-class Star Destroyers. That's 25,000 of one kind of ship. It also had thousands and thousands of Super Star Destroyers, frigates, cruisers, Interdictors, Dreadnaughts, carries, and all the other warships necessary to have a good fleet. The Imperial Army included billions of troopers. TIE fighters suck, but they car be launched in overwhelming numbers. Ships from Star Trek suck (sorry); BSG ships are good but there aren't very many of them, and anyway the Cylons would be ripped apart by ion cannons and Connor nets; Halo might put up a fight but they would be overwhelmed, especially when you consider things like Interdictor cruisers. I don't know much about ME and 40K, but I'd guess it's more of the same. And remember, the Empire is only one faction in Star Wars. The timeline currently stretches about 20,000 years. That's a lot of governments, a lot of wars, and a lot of fleets.

I'm sorry to dissagree with you, but you should read this: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html.

@haycalon
It's been a while since I played Mass Effect, so I don't know where that franchise's technology is compared to Star Wars.
I don't know anything about the 40K universe, but I'm assuming it's set at least 38,000 years into the future...So there's probably a strong chance they can beat up the Imperials, except for the fact that the Star Wars Empire represents an entire united galaxy...far away, whereas the 40K galaxy (I'm assuming again), is fractured by several different warring races.

Also, for your point about the TIE Fighters, I'm assuming they're so simple because they are made to be mass produced on a galactic scale, and fielded en-mass, with tactics that require huge numbers of fighters piloted by disiplined (cloned?) soldiers. While they may be crumby 1v1, they probably shouldn't be underestimated in a battle.

Why is only one franchise at war with the big Imperial bully? What if, BSG were to align with Halo? Then the two would have a fighting chance; the Colonial Navy would have the backing of a massive star-spanning empire (if still a fraction the size of the Impirial Empire), and the UNSC would gain the technology of the FTL drive, cutting travelling time to zero and allowing them to jump from one star system to another. This would give the allied Colonial/UNSC fleet a huge strategic advantage against the Empire!

The issue that Halo and BSG have is that they rely purely on conventional weapons: A Halo Marathon-class Cruiser can only use it's main Mac cannon onece a minute. Battlestars completely rely on flack shields; A single thanix cannon shot would wipe out a Battlestar or a Marathon-class. And Thanix weapons are mounted on frigates.

These are the sort of things that need to be discussed in this thread! But do you know what kind of kinetic energy a man-sized round of tungstan traveling at near light-speed puts out? I don't know, but I think that ought be enough to put a dent in someone's shields. But I did want to focus more on the hit-and-run tactics that having a BSG FTL drive opens up. Who do you think would be a better match for the Colonials?
[/b]That's what Inderdictors are for. They pull ships out of hyperspace.

BSG ships never enter hyperspace, they instantly pop from one location to another, you're silly "Inderdictors" have no effect!
Can they jump while they're in a gravity well? Suspect
Of course they can! In episode: "Exodus, Part II", Galactica jumps into an earth-like panet's gravity, unloads its vipers, and then jumps away before crashing into the ground. Very exciting stuff!
Juuuuuuuust to make this longer (For you Tiel Very Happy) reply to this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:34 am

Shiva wrote:
Lord Mackeroth wrote:

There's actually a canon reason for that. The Cylons, being computer organisms, opened their assault with a massive computer virus, wiping out a lot of new tech or turning it to their uses. The crew of the Galactica pulled out all the old equipment and plugged it in its' place, as the older tech was nigh-unhackable due to sheer simplicity. That's one reason why you see telephones with cords - it's another reason why we never see many of the Mk VII and VIII Vipers, instead the good old Mk IIs that were in the original series. The VIIs and VIIIs actually use rail driver weaponry rather than stupidly-high-powered machineguns.

So there's actually a perfectly logical reason for the old tech. Watch Caprica and you'll see some of the more advanced tech. Also a lot of older tech, too, but eh.

In the movie "The Plan", before the Cyclon attack, they were still using current car and mobile phone technologies. And the same customer attraction ideas. But that's beside the point.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:37 am

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Shiva wrote:
Lord Mackeroth wrote:

In the movie "The Plan", before the Cyclon attack, they were still using current car and mobile phone technologies. And the same customer attraction ideas. But that's beside the point.

Those damned gas companies won't let vehicle technology move forwards so they can keep making a profit.
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:52 am

^this
Back to top Go down
Happyman
Happyman

Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

I am very sorry to say this as i like Mass Effect and Star Wars but Star Trek would win. I know this isnt in a very high opinion but if you gave me the enterprise E with borg upgrades plus a few galaxy ships... well lets just say it would not be pretty AT ALL.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Happyman wrote:
I am very sorry to say this as i like Mass Effect and Star Wars but Star Trek would win. I know this isnt in a very high opinion but if you gave me the enterprise E with borg upgrades plus a few galaxy ships... well lets just say it would not be pretty AT ALL.

You don't seem to realize Star Trek's Federation has by far the worst ships out of the three franchises you mentioned, even with borg upgrades. Their military personnel aren't very efficient at combat either. The Empire's military may be inefficient, but the Federation's military is just... NOT a military.

I'll give the Normandy SR2 a better chance for victory than the Enterprise, it's got superior weapons, stealth technology and more speed and maneuverability.
Back to top Go down
Happyman
Happyman

Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Pat Best wrote:
Happyman wrote:

You don't seem to realize Star Trek's Federation has by far the worst ships out of the three franchises you mentioned, even with borg upgrades. Their military personnel aren't very efficient at combat either. The Empire's military may be inefficient, but the Federation's military is just... NOT a military.

I'll give the Normandy SR2 a better chance for victory than the Enterprise, it's got superior weapons, stealth technology and more speed and maneuverability.

Look again i recognize your opinion but the FIRST enterprise(the smallest) could fit the normandy in its saucer. The enterprise E a soverign class vessel could ffit it in its engine core. it is more advanced by far as they use 1) antimatter 2) much higher power weapons and 3) stark trek's warp drives are better than any others. This is not opinion. I have studied each franchise very carefully, reading books, playing games, watching episodes and movies, and i found this: if you were to take the best of every franchise and pit them against each other Star Trek would by far have the best technology. it takes a tiny little ship in Star Trek to blow up a sun but a moon sized object to blow up a planet within Star Wars. Besides this the emmpire got its A$$ whooped by a rag tag team of fighter pilots and ground forces, this proves that if someone just landed some good ground troops the empire would suffer tremendously. I respect all three franchises and mass effect could probably reach Star Trek levels given time. The statements aout star trek above are based not upon the recent movie but in Jean Luc Picard's time. Both Star Trek and Mass Effect held off hoards of enimies that were robotical and much more efficient in just one than a whole platoon of stormtoopers.
All that i am trying to get to is that in equal or even 1:3 ratios star trek would win because of technological superiority. Star Wars doesnt even have torpedos.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Happyman wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Happyman wrote:

Look again i recognize your opinion but the FIRST enterprise(the smallest) could fit the normandy in its saucer. The enterprise E a soverign class vessel could ffit it in its engine core. it is more advanced by far as they use 1) antimatter 2) much higher power weapons and 3) stark trek's warp drives are better than any others. This is not opinion. I have studied each franchise very carefully, reading books, playing games, watching episodes and movies, and i found this: if you were to take the best of every franchise and pit them against each other Star Trek would by far have the best technology. it takes a tiny little ship in Star Trek to blow up a sun but a moon sized object to blow up a planet within Star Wars. Besides this the emmpire got its A$$ whooped by a rag tag team of fighter pilots and ground forces, this proves that if someone just landed some good ground troops the empire would suffer tremendously. I respect all three franchises and mass effect could probably reach Star Trek levels given time. The statements aout star trek above are based not upon the recent movie but in Jean Luc Picard's time. Both Star Trek and Mass Effect held off hoards of enimies that were robotical and much more efficient in just one than a whole platoon of stormtoopers.
All that i am trying to get to is that in equal or even 1:3 ratios star trek would win because of technological superiority. Star Wars doesnt even have torpedos.

Here, read this:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Star Trek's weapons are weak sauce compared to star wars weapons. No matter if the Normandy can fit in its saucer, it has bigger guns than the Enterprise. Their warp drives are slower than both Star Wars' FTL jumps and Mass Effect's Mass Relay system. They are absolutely outmatched in every way.
ZERO CHANCE OF SUCCESS.

Also, Star Wars has torpedoes, not that having torpedoes is a determining factor of who wins or not....

Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I am now going to rip your argument apart, piece by piece. Please don't be offended.

Happyman wrote:

Look again i recognize your opinion but the FIRST enterprise(the smallest) could fit the normandy in its saucer. The enterprise E a soverign class vessel could ffit it in its engine core.
We know. That means that the Normandy could fly rings around the Enterprise. It's size means it's more maneuverable and probably faster.

Happyman wrote:
it is more advanced by far as they use 1) antimatter 2) much higher power weapons and 3) stark trek's warp drives are better than any others.
Why does antimatter make a difference? It's just a power source. It doesn't matter if you've got magic generators or hamsters in treadmills as long as the ship flies.
I don't believe for a moment that Star Trek's weapons are more powerful than the ones in other series. Prove it.
In what way are they better? Are they faster? Smaller? What? I don't think they're faster, because it would have taken Voyager 70 years to get back to the Alpha Quadrant, and Star Wars ships cover similar distances in a matter of days. Hyperdrives are also smaller, meaning they can be mounted in starfighters and smaller vessels. Which is another point - Star Trek hasn't even got fighters, as far as I can tell.

Happyman wrote:
This is not opinion. I have studied each franchise very carefully, reading books, playing games, watching episodes and movies, and i found this: if you were to take the best of every franchise and pit them against each other Star Trek would by far have the best technology.
Of course it's opinion. This is all opinion.
Let's see some proof of that statement. Even if you can come up with some places Star Trek's technology is the best, there will be just as many places where it's Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Mass Effect, or any number of other series.

Happyman wrote:
it takes a tiny little ship in Star Trek to blow up a sun but a moon sized object to blow up a planet within Star Wars.
The Sun Crusher is 13.5 meters tall. It destroys stars. The 'tiny little ship' you refer to is in fact a solar probe, and not really a weapon at all. All it does is carry some trilithium into it. The Sun Crusher just makes them go nova. The end.

Happyman wrote:
Besides this the emmpire got its A$$ whooped by a rag tag team of fighter pilots and ground forces, this proves that if someone just landed some good ground troops the empire would suffer tremendously.
There are only three battles shown in the Original Trilogy in which large numbers of Rebels and Imperials fought. These are Hoth, Endor, and the Tantive IV, which sorta counts. The Imperials won easily on Hoth and the Tantive IV, and only lost Endor because of the jungle terrain and the Ewoks. Star Trek doesn't seem to have any large-scale infantry battles at all.

Happyman wrote:
I respect all three franchises and mass effect could probably reach Star Trek levels given time.
What, and Star Wars couldn't? Give me a break.

Happyman wrote:
Both Star Trek and Mass Effect held off hoards of enimies that were robotical and much more efficient in just one than a whole platoon of stormtoopers.
So did Star Wars. It was called the Clone Wars. There's a show about it.
Stormtroopers would probably do pretty well against the Borg, if only because their armor would make them difficult to assimilate, and ion blasters/grenades would be very effective.

Happyman wrote:
That's nonsense. Remember Wolf 359? An entire Federation fleet destroyed by a single Borg cube. Only the Enterprise survived, and that was because of luck. The Federation ships aren't even equal to any other ones, much less three times as good.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Proton_torpedo I hope that answers that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Sci-Fi Franchises - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Franchises
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: