Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Fr0stbyte's Development Log

Go down 
+42
torrentialAberration
Iv121
eazymc
Tell
Richard_cypher
USMC1000
Delta
mitchster
Potato
Ivan2006
Krade
Kielaran
superninjakiwi
ipel4
Commander Kobialka
Keon
Hierarch Fenway
Tiel+
TacticalSheep5
ACH0225
Last_Jedi_Standing
hyperlite
Dux Tell31
Laibach
filtratedbread
r2fart2
blockman42
xanex21
VelouriumCamper
Danice123
Misticblade7
GLaDOS
JoshzPruitt
ectrimble20
elmeerkat
tonyri
Eternal Equinox
Conscript Gary
Buggy1997123
Shiva
The Schmetterling
fr0stbyte124
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks, at least now I know!
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 am

tonyri wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Well, you should all be very pleased to know that the video doesn't work on my phone. Could someone explain what happened?
The terrain loaded very fast, much faster than with optifine or any let's player's computer. But random chunks would disappear and reappear in no particular order, so it would be like seeing chunk errors in a checkerboard, if you have ever seen chunk errors on multi-player.

P.S. When I say randomly, I mean randomly for me. Frostbyte probably knows why some render and others don't.
Not really.
The ones on the surface are supposed to render. The ones below ground are not. Something is terribly wrong, though I am not sure what. It's just going to take a ton of code tracing, but I have a suspicion it isn't screwed up as badly as it looks.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:11 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
tonyri wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Well, you should all be very pleased to know that the video doesn't work on my phone. Could someone explain what happened?
The terrain loaded very fast, much faster than with optifine or any let's player's computer. But random chunks would disappear and reappear in no particular order, so it would be like seeing chunk errors in a checkerboard, if you have ever seen chunk errors on multi-player.

P.S. When I say randomly, I mean randomly for me. Frostbyte probably knows why some render and others don't.
Not really.
The ones on the surface are supposed to render. The ones below ground are not. Something is terribly wrong, though I am not sure what. It's just going to take a ton of code tracing, but I have a suspicion it isn't screwed up as badly as it looks.
Are the cave systems suppose to render? Or did they only render because the surface became transparent.

P.S. I'm feeling pretty epic right now. I just got the Album of the most popular video game songs performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Battlefield Theme makes me feel like a total badass. Same with Legend of Zelda.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Made some headway on the problem. As far as I can tell the base algorithm seems to be working properly, which is best-case scenario. Instead, it seems that chunks being registered in the set are all in the wrong places. This is why there are random missing chunks in the video: sampling rays only pass through chunks through certain directions depending on the location of the camera. If it thinks that chunk in the north is actually in the south for instance, it will declare that chunk a dead-end because no south-bound rays passed through it.

There's just so much messed up with this data structure, it might be easier just to tear it out and try a new approach, something more self-contained and automated, and with some built-in error checking so I don't have to do this wild goose chase again.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am

I think I fixed the bugs. I'll have to do more testing but it's looking really good. Got some unexpected results though.

If everything is correct, then according to my very unscientific eyeball test, it looks like this occlusion culling gets between 40% to 75% of the chunks that advanced opengl gets. Unfortunately, 50% is not good enough to beat advanced opengl, at least on my computer. I'm thinking about enhancing the resolution by calculating 8^3 mini-chunks, plus I haven't verified this is entirely correct (it never culls a visible chunk, at least).

But here's the part I didn't anticipate: if you run advanced opengl and this culling method together, it's actually faster than either separately. In retrospect this makes sense, assuming advanced opengl is the faster technique. It has to go over all the geometry to make its calculations. Since my technique reduces the geometry, though not as much as advanced opengl, it can finish faster.

I would also be interested in seeing how the two compare on weaker systems.
The plan now is spend the weekend testing and optimizing, maybe seeing about setting up the higher resolution scan, setting up some sort of way to gather statistics, and then release the alpha on Monday.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 10:26 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I think I fixed the bugs. I'll have to do more testing but it's looking really good. Got some unexpected results though.

If everything is correct, then according to my very unscientific eyeball test, it looks like this occlusion culling gets between 40% to 75% of the chunks that advanced opengl gets. Unfortunately, 50% is not good enough to beat advanced opengl, at least on my computer. I'm thinking about enhancing the resolution by calculating 8^3 mini-chunks, plus I haven't verified this is entirely correct (it never culls a visible chunk, at least).

But here's the part I didn't anticipate: if you run advanced opengl and this culling method together, it's actually faster than either separately. In retrospect this makes sense, assuming advanced opengl is the faster technique. It has to go over all the geometry to make its calculations. Since my technique reduces the geometry, though not as much as advanced opengl, it can finish faster.

I would also be interested in seeing how the two compare on weaker systems.
The plan now is spend the weekend testing and optimizing, maybe seeing about setting up the higher resolution scan, setting up some sort of way to gather statistics, and then release the alpha on Monday.

Made a video. This is what the culling does right now.

It's a little bit disappointing it is not more selective, but I believe this is simply a result of the chunk resolution being too high. If I shrink the chunk test regions to 8^3 or 4^3 I think it may work a lot better, not that it's doing all that bad right now. I'd also like to look into getting a better method for determining whether a chunk has proper line-of-sight.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 10:42 am

Can I post this video on the thread page over on the minecraft forums with an explanation? They would probably be happy to see some progress being made.

(or I could look into a time machine and see you already posted it, then feel stupid because I didn't check first)
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 12:03 am

Something decidedly odd I discovered today while playing minecraft with IC2 and some addons installed. My FPS is generally not great - unless I'm in the fusion reactor chamber, with the buzz of the reactor and beeping of the computers in the background. Then my movement, everything, is flawless and superfast. When I move out of hearing range, it drops again. Why is this?

I ask because the answer might help with our FPS boosting as well.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 am

Need more information. What kind of rig are you using? Also, is "advanced opengl" enabled or disabled? What about fast graphics and render distance?

I suspect you have advanced opengl enabled, which will dramatically reduce the drawn geometry when you are in small, enclosed spaces. There is pretty significant overhead to this, though, so it has to cull quite a number of chunks just to break even.

Also need this: Pull up the debug info from F3, and give me all the values on the second line (C: ?/? F: ? O: ? E: ?) when you are inside that room.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Nothing special, with a 2 ghz dual core.

C: 7/648 , F: 55, O:76, E: 538

AOpenGL: Fast

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a moment. I just thought that the FPS boost was intriguing and worth a mention.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Shiva wrote:
You're using optimine, aren't you. Well in any case, your card is only drawing 7 chunks, though somehow 83% of the chunks around you are considered empty, which just seems odd. I wonder if that's another trick of optimine or it it's coincidence...
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Shiva wrote:
You're using optimine, aren't you. Well in any case, your card is only drawing 7 chunks, though somehow 83% of the chunks around you are considered empty, which just seems odd. I wonder if that's another trick of optimine or it it's coincidence...
Cubic Chunks? Wait no, CC actively deletes any chunks that are empty.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I didn't say cubic chunks. Also when I say chunks I mean world render chunks, which are the 16x16x16 ones and not the 16x16x128.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 am

I heard you say that you were releasing the occlusion culling mod on Monday. Is this going to be in Area 51? Or is it going to be on the main Futurecraft forums? I know you won't release it on the Minecraft forums. You said so yourself a while ago. It would completely flood the forums.

P.S. How does this "level up stars" thing work above the profile picture? Is it number of posts? Or does a admin/moderator do it?
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:03 am

daman200 wrote:
I heard you say that you were releasing the occlusion culling mod on Monday. Is this going to be in Area 51? Or is it going to be on the main Futurecraft forums? I know you won't release it on the Minecraft forums. You said so yourself a while ago. It would completely flood the forums.

P.S. How does this "level up stars" thing work above the profile picture? Is it number of posts? Or does a admin/moderator do it?
I think he ran into some issues with merging it with minecraft code, so it might be a bit delayed. Also, I think the stars correspond to post count.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:17 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I didn't say cubic chunks. Also when I say chunks I mean world render chunks, which are the 16x16x16 ones and not the 16x16x128.
I thought it was normal chunks, so thats why I said I thought it was CC- wait, IC2 FUSION reactor? Theres no IC2 addon that adds a fusion reactor you can walk into, I should know, I literally looked through all IC2 addons hours ago for addons to install with IC2 when I helped my friend install IC2 & RP2 4b on our server. Only one had fusion, and it was a single-block reactor.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 am

Yes I am using Optimine.

The stars correspond to post count.

I can't wait for alpha!

It was the Rocket Science add on. And it's a single block - I simply have a roomful of them.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 am

I have not run into any new problems with implementation, but I did run into some problems with being invited to too many new year's activities, so I am now behind schedule. I will still try to release today, but it's going to be ugly. Also it will almost certainly break optifine since I haven't even looked at how that all works.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:37 am

If it doesn't I'll be shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 4:02 am

Let me rephrase that then. It will break optifine until such a time as I can merge the two.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Let me rephrase that then. It will break optifine until such a time as I can merge the two.
Is there a reason to? I mean, what can Optifine do that this can't?
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:22 pm

tonyri wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Is there a reason to? I mean, what can Optifine do that this can't?

Some of the different options, such as eliminating bedrock fog, selectively changing the quality of some visuals, etc.

Performance-wise, probably not much.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 am

Performance-wise, Optimine is going to win handily. Optimine is a lot more encompassing and aggressive in improving framerate, where I am going highly tuned for minimal footprint. However, when merged the two will compliment one another quite nicely.

Also I decided I wanted to try 8^3 chunks before releasing, so first release is going to take a tad longer. Also it will look kinda glitchy because I'm just focusing on benchmarking on various rigs for this release and realtime updating messes with the statistics. Second release will be nicer.

Then it's finally back to work on ships.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Performance-wise, Optimine is going to win handily. Optimine is a lot more encompassing and aggressive in improving framerate, where I am going highly tuned for minimal footprint. However, when merged the two will compliment one another quite nicely.

Also I decided I wanted to try 8^3 chunks before releasing, so first release is going to take a tad longer. Also it will look kinda glitchy because I'm just focusing on benchmarking on various rigs for this release and realtime updating messes with the statistics. Second release will be nicer.

Then it's finally back to work on ships.

So,
Optimine also is an occlusion culling mod, but is more efficient than yours?
Then why not just use that?

In fact, why are you working on occlusion at all? It's not that I'm
disapproving of your work, its going great, but why do we need the world to be
culled at this stage? Later, when we have large battles going on, I can
understand that we need the extra frame rate, but in the early stages, wouldn't
have been wiser to just work on ships?

Either way, I sure you did it with the best of intentions, even if it’s used a
lot of time for a result that could of been duplicated with only a few
questions and a permission note from the creator of Optimine. Actually, why
don't we ask the creator of Optimine if you can see his code, it might be able
to help you, especially if you build in incorporation between the two mods, the
compatibility should augment their individual strengths and weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Right, I don't even know why I wrote all that, it's just
meaningless. So is this. I think I'm going crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fr0stbyte's Development Log   Fr0stbyte's Development Log - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fr0stbyte's Development Log
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next