Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues

Go down 
+6
torrentialAberration
Soul of Jack
Iv121
The Schmetterling
Last_Jedi_Standing
Commander Error
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Empty
PostSubject: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Just to throw ideas around.

Some things I notice -

Many people put windows in. In space, where, odds are, your enemy is hundreds of km away, why bother? While stars are pretty, windows provide a convenient target for breakage and decompression.

Armor. Yes, you only need one block thickness of your hull, but supposing your shields drop? It's like having a rice paper hull.

realspace thrusters. Scaling the engines to match the ship will give them ridiculously high acceleration, or stupidly low effiency. There is no such thing as "slow" in space.

FTL drives. There often is no outward indication if this. While Jump Drives and Hyperdrives don't usually exhibit these, it could be added for interest.

And, yes, I draw heavily off BSG for my ships. Very much so. This is because I like having aseveral meters of armor and several thousand tons of water tank between my command center and space.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Many people put windows in. In space, where, odds are, your enemy is hundreds of km away, why bother? While stars are pretty, windows provide a convenient target for breakage and decompression.
I mostly agree with that. I think there should probably be some windows, somewhere, because ships in Star Wars are like that, but OK. Transparisteel in Star Wars isn't any weaker than normal steel, though, so it's a different scenario.

Commander Error wrote:
Armor. Yes, you only need one block thickness of your hull, but supposing your shields drop? It's like having a rice paper hull.
I agree with this too. You can't really tell from the pictures in my ship log, but the Alderaan-class's hull is an outer shell of iron, followed by a middle layer of obsidian, followed by an inner layer of iron.

Commander Error wrote:
realspace thrusters. Scaling the engines to match the ship will give them ridiculously high acceleration, or stupidly low effiency. There is no such thing as "slow" in space.
I'm not sure I understand this, but most spaceships seem to have big engines. They look better.

Commander Error wrote:
FTL drives. There often is no outward indication if this. While Jump Drives and Hyperdrives don't usually exhibit these, it could be added for interest.
I suppose. They're inside the hull in pretty much all science fiction.

Commander Error wrote:
And, yes, I draw heavily off BSG for my ships. Very much so. This is because I like having aseveral meters of armor and several thousand tons of water tank between my command center and space.
OK.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 am

Some things I notice -

Windows are a sign of opulence, a sign of extreme superiority. My more recent ships use holographic displays on the inside that gives one-way glass. Most weapons are powerful enough to blast through the hull regardless of whether it's a window or not.

I really don't see the point in this. Rather that using all those extra materials to build thicker armor, use a small portion of them to build better shield emitters. I have said this numerous times: that as soon as your shields are down, you're dead. Having a three block hull is really only going to stop railguns and low powered lasers for a few direct hits, and anything more powerful will do massive damage to your ship. Essentially, shields will probably have 10-20x the defensive strength of the hull (unless you want to waste materials and make it 15 blocks thick, and then replace the damaged areas every battle).

Most of my ships don't use thrusters, as they seem quite primitive compared to other methods of movement. There are issues of inertia to deal with, you do need more powerful thrusters to accelerate ships faster.

No way am I putting my ships' sensitive equipment on the outside where anybody can take it out once the shields are down! Especially as I would need them to escape!

That is only because the Twelve Colonies were too lazy to develop shield technology.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Well, that, and the fact that a railgun won't get though that without signifacnt effort. And as soon as YOUR shields drop, you're dead. I build ship for purely utilitarian use, so balls to opulence.

Besides, my ships have shields. I just dislike having nothing past shields. Nothing short of a superweapon can 1shot a BattleStar.

""No way am I putting my ships' sensitive equipment on the outside where anybody can take it out once the shields are down! Especially as I would need them to escape!""

What? what happened to "as soon as your shields go down, you're dead"?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

I'n going to tell you this: Real space battleships don't need windows, big Engines, they should be flying cubes of Metal and turrets but as we are a game we can allow ourselves do things differently Smile .

Big Engines look cool, thrusters look cool. If your ship will move with the speed of light all the time the whole fun in space battles is gone.
Windows are cool couse you can see through them , people don't like staring at walls even if the have heliographic displays of the outside. For some reason the little thingy that sits in us and we call it humanity (actually its egoism Razz ) demands windows couse it’s used to them here on earth.

Also there is no sound in space and no explosions, in most of it there is no light, so you can't hear or see for s*** Razz .
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Well on my ships I use speed and lots of it.No need for armor when you have speed.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Jack Root wrote:
Well on my ships I use speed and lots of it.No need for armor when you have speed.

Until those lasers hit.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Jack Root wrote:

Until those lasers hit.

Good point.But I still have Project and Op. F.A.T.E. and you have no idea what it is.

(Edit:Project F.A.T.E. is in dev. [It's a ship].)

Last edited by Jack Root on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Commander Error wrote:

Some things I notice -

Some aluminum oxides can be clear, like corundum. If aluminum is in FC it could be used to make this transparent sapphire ultra-glass for not that expensive.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:00 am

Or you could have force-field windows that are indestructible so long as there's power?

Anyway, as I said: I would much rather spend the resources that you would use on a thicker hull that would protect you for the 10 seconds needed to escape on a better shield emitter that will cost less resources, allow more interior space, and last for a lot longer as a protection.

Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am

Be that as it may, what about before you have shield emitters available? I'll launch my unshielded ships first, then upgrade them as the resources come in. 'cuz an unshielded ship vs. a shielded one in drydock is fairly...onesided.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 am

My ships have an additional Yttrium alloy FTL amplifier on the hulls. It's not necessary, but adds extra range.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:12 am

One other strategy would be to have a lot of useless stuff on the outer edges of your ship, that doesn't matter if it gets destroyed, but that could be expensive and if you don't lock down a hull breach, your f***ed
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 am

stufuzzycat wrote:
One other strategy would be to have a lot of useless stuff on the outer edges of your ship, that doesn't matter if it gets destroyed, but that could be expensive and if you don't lock down a hull breach, your f***ed

Why waste the resources when you could used the materials the make a better shield.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Because shields don't need to be the be-all-end-all of FC. I like having some seconds to escape after I lose shields.

Or it's because shielding won't be instantaneously available in-game, ergo you'll either need to wait for it or launch without it.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 pm

blockman42 wrote:
stufuzzycat wrote:

Why waste the resources when you could used the materials the make a better shield.

I was just throwing ideas around, and in this case, it kinda splattered against the wall and slid down with a squelch.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Jack Root wrote:

Until those lasers hit.

Ummm....Furyion might disagree with you there.

Weaponry in BSG is decidedly low-tech compared to what will be in this mod. Even battlestars are scared of nukes, which do next to nothing in space since most of the energy simply dissipates.

Against hypervelocity weaponry (railguns/coilguns) increasing your armor lets more energy transfer to your ship. So, when the round simply sails through it won't destroy the whole ship but if it absorbs all the energy of the round you are likely to have a significant portion of your ship vaped.

And ships will have larger engines to allow for greater acceleration and, therefore, a higher combat speed.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Commander Error wrote:
Jack Root wrote:

Until those lasers hit.

Ummm....Furyion might disagree with you there.

Weaponry in BSG is decidedly low-tech compared to what will be in this mod. Even battlestars are scared of nukes, which do next to nothing in space since most of the energy simply dissipates.

Against hypervelocity weaponry (railguns/coilguns) increasing your armor lets more energy transfer to your ship. So, when the round simply sails through it won't destroy the whole ship but if it absorbs all the energy of the round you are likely to have a significant portion of your ship vaped.

And ships will have larger engines to allow for greater acceleration and, therefore, a higher combat speed.

Fury's busy killing stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues   Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Discussion - Merits and Issues
Page 1 of 1