Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Flag Ships

Go down 
+6
tonyri
Buggy1997123
The Schmetterling
Commander Error
ectrimble20
GLaDOS
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Conscript Gary

Flag Ships - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 5:04 am

While I'm down with having blocktypes for things like armor, I don't really like preconstructed things. Have a power core scale like an enchanting table, requiring the output blocks of a coolant system around it. Have armor plate blocks spread their damage to adjacent armor plate blocks if that's even possible. Multiple blocks that work and scale when used in combination, giving players a reason to build and fill rooms. Probably my favorite aspect of the industrial mods, better than wolves in particular.
And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see individual block destruction as a damper on design since fire doesn't strike extremities first.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 3:13 pm

I think that every block used on a ship should be given a damage value, a weight value, and a temperature value. This way, different materials would be useful for different pieces. You would want your hardest materials in the front of the ship in order to assist in ramming other ships and cutting them in half (eg. diamond, titanium-carbon alloys) (don't steal my idea Very Happy), the high melting point blocks would be used to contain engine and computer cores from the rest of the ship, (eg. Tungsten, Chromium) and the light materials would form the spine of the ship to use less fuel. (Carbon Nanotubes, Aluminum) The damage and temperature values would only affect each individual block, (temperature might heat or cool adjacent blocks, not sure yet) but the core block would add the engine thrust and subtract the structure weight to find the acceleration speed. I don't know yet how the engine direction will work. It doesn't really make sense to be able to accelerate backwords if your ship only has rear engines. Also, would ships be able to turn? Because most of the ship designs I have seen so far don't have burst engines on the sides to allow them to roll, yaw, or pitch.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:23 pm

So, if you did do separate modules, it would be like Star Ruler?
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Kinda, only instead of placing things into a blue print schematic like in SR, you'll be actually placing the components in your ship.
Back to top Go down
Cason22

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:07 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Kinda, only instead of placing things into a blue print schematic like in SR, you'll be actually placing the components in your ship.

I think you should be able to both but when you do it by hand you can use some extra very useful tools, like mechanical arms ect. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Cason22 wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:

I think you should be able to both but when you do it by hand you can use some extra very useful tools, like mechanical arms ect. Very Happy
Why the eff does everyone want mechanical arms? Do they not realize we could very well replicate the movement system in Shattered Horizon? Magnetic boots too. Thats a effin lot better than mechanical arms. Flyin through space like a BOSS, shooting people with sub-machine guns while flying through space between asteroids. LIKE A &$%^$^# BOSS! And yet, everyone wants stupid, slow, weak mechanical arms.

*thinks*

*5 minutes later*

Fine, they could be cool if done right. But still!
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 am

Mechanical arms..... like a boss.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:38 am

It's decided, then. Ectrimble is programming robotic arms. I look forward to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Conscript Gary

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:39 am

As I say, it's more the mechanics that allow the arms. Ones which could presumably allow transforming/otherwise nonstatic ships.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 4:53 am

I actually have plans to do a mod after futurecraft for complex mechanical devices. The plan is for reasonably realistic mechanical motion utilizing the Copernicus framework and make things like factories and walking machines. But there's plenty to do and I don't intend to include any of it with futurecraft, except for maybe turntables or lifts. I will say that robotic arms or transforming ships would be really complicated to pull off, and can't be treated like some random extra feature.
Back to top Go down
Cason22

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 6:08 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I actually have plans to do a mod after futurecraft for complex mechanical devices. The plan is for reasonably realistic mechanical motion utilizing the Copernicus framework and make things like factories and walking machines. But there's plenty to do and I don't intend to include any of it with futurecraft, except for maybe turntables or lifts. I will say that robotic arms or transforming ships would be really complicated to pull off, and can't be treated like some random extra feature.

You could maybe include some Buildcraft features in to futurecraft to make it more economical and easier to get ores it would also make more futuristic.

This could also help you focus your time on other matters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flag Ships   Flag Ships - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flag Ships
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2