Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship size classes

Go down 
+12
Grand Imperial Thunder
Commander Kobialka
Soul of Jack
The Schmetterling
Keon
Shiva
kennysmith1234
blockman42
Iv121
Tiel+
Commander Error
Last_Jedi_Standing
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you think that...
We don't need a standard system.
Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
We should have a system with the same format as the one in the OP here.
Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_lcap23%Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
We should have a system of cores, like the one on page 7.
Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
You have a different type of system (please post).
Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
That one random option.
Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Ship size classes - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Ship size classes - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Something worth noting is that even SSDs aren't bigger than 20,000 blocks :L
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 pm

You mean they cant store > 20k blocks?...
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Tiel's server can't.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

I'd assume as much, given that I only have 512 megabytes of memory taken from a reserve used by around 20 other servers along with likely a low end server CPU to boot. If Futurecraft can run on that with armadas of 50k+ block long ships than it can run on anything.

@CMA, Super Star Destroyers are only about 20k meters long.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Yes. Executor-class was 19,000 blocks long, and it is the largest conventional ship ever built (some Yuuzhan Vong worldships may be bigger). But the Death Star was 160,000 blocks across.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Good luck building it , Death Star Class Death Star , it will require all the methal in earth's core to be made Razz ,
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Jedi, maybe you could ask keon to delete the poll and add new options in.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Tiel wrote:
Jedi, maybe you could ask keon to delete the poll and add new options in.
Alright. Keon, please delete the poll. It's usefulness has passed.

What should the new options be?

-Mackeroth's system
-My system
-Tiel's system
-Iv's system
-No standard system
-Any large increment system
-Any small increment system
-That one random choice

Any others?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Your wish is my command what I did 5 minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Keon wrote:
Your wish is my command what I did 5 minutes ago.
I still see it.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm

That never happened. It was gone 5 minutes ago.

No, I just locked it rather than deleting it.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Keon wrote:
That never happened. It was gone 5 minutes ago.

No, I just locked it rather than deleting it.
Now it's gone. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 pm

erm....whatever happened to the core tier/module version of classification? Out of all the ones I've seen, it's the one that makes the most sense (by far)...

Follow my logic here.

1) Offence - Realistically, how would you limit the amount of weaponry on your ship? Would you add an arbitrary amount and say 'That's it, I'm done'? Or would you cram in as many guns as your ship can support?

2) Defense - Okay, so this is mainly about shields, I'll talk about armor in a bit. The point with shields is that they don't at all depend on the size of the ship, it's the quality of the shield generator. In other words, if you want more shields, you need a better module on your core.

3) Engines - assigning an arbitrary speed value isn't exactly realistic. I think it would work better with better propulsion modules allow for more and bigger engines, where they in turn determine the speed of the ship based on an engines:blocks^3 ratio. This also works well for armor plating - the thicker the armor, the slower the ship.

4) Power - This is the real beauty about the core system. Once the systems in the ship are connected to their modules and in turn to the control core, you can tell exactly how much power you'll need and be able to install a reactor to compensate connected ONLY to the core, thus using the same system for control and power routing. Make sense?

An example system would look something like this:

Tier 1 core - corvettes / frigates / diplomatic ships - 4 slots. Combat ships can mount one conventional weapon module, one engine module, a small shield generator and a short range drive core, or forgo the shields / weapons / drive core to augment some other ability. Diplomatic ships can mount a 3-slot engine module and a diplomatic module (provides immunity from attack, but prevents weapon mounting). Can support ships of up to 2000 blocks^3.

Tier 2 core - cruiser / destroyer - 12 slots. Can mount mid size cores for conventional weapons, engines, and shields. Can also mount a diplomatic core or a short/mid range drive core. Can mount one 4-slot special weapon module, and supports large reactors. A cruiser is more oriented towards maneuverability, whereas a battlecruiser has a heavier armament and less speed. Supports ships up to 40,000 blocks^3.

Tier 3 core - Battlecruiser / space station - 20 slots. Can mount large engines, as well as mid-large size weapon and shield modules. Can mount one 6-slot special weapon module and a large drive core. Ships with tier 3+ cores cannot mount diplomatic modules, but can use carrier modules (for launch systems, storage, repair & replacement, remote coordination?). Carrier modules take up 8, 12, 16, or 20 slots to represent ship specialization. A tier 3 core with a 20 slot carrier upgrade is a space station.

etc. etc. up to, I don't know, maybe tier 6 for super dreadnoughts? This is just a rough sketch of what it could be.

Anyhow, this way makes a lot more sense from a logistics standpoint, and it doesn't require people to add filler blocks to up the size of the ship. Maximum sizes for cores makes sense so people can't easily mass produce shield ships (like the repair stations in the Halo books), but they have to be big enough to encompass the class of ship they are meant to be used in.

What think?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:51 pm

The Floaty Ball Of Glowstone In a Perfectly White Room That Shoots Power Core?

Anyway, that will still be it, but these people think that we need some official "That is a frigate, while that is a cruiser, while that is a cruise ship."
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Keon wrote:
The Floaty Ball Of Glowstone In a Perfectly White Room That Shoots Power Core?

Anyway, that will still be it, but these people think that we need some official "That is a frigate, while that is a cruiser, while that is a cruise ship."

well, if we aren't basing any capabilities off this, then why not just use combat roles? I think that's how it actually works....anything that's unusually large for it's general design and role is just prefixed by the term 'super'. Like supercarriers or SSD's or (god forbid) a super death star.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

That wouldn't work, I don't think. And why is there a 'DURRR' option in the poll?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Tiel wrote:
That wouldn't work, I don't think. And why is there a 'DURRR' option in the poll?
There's always that one random option.

The new poll will be to determine whether we want a system like this at all.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:49 pm

The DURR option is a random option. I use it for humor, and for a lesser extent, getting a margin of error.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

How so?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 pm

If the Durr option is greater than the difference in between the lead and the second place, you know that the outcome could have been influenced by idiots and those with humor. It's also to draw away trolls and those who can't be bothered to think of a serious answer, to keep them from polluting the poll.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes... I see...
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Core" idea has a "Frigate Core", a "Dreadnaught Core" and whatever, right?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Keon wrote:
If the Durr option is greater than the difference in between the lead and the second place, you know that the outcome could have been influenced by idiots and those with humor. It's also to draw away trolls and those who can't be bothered to think of a serious answer, to keep them from polluting the poll.
Sometimes the person who made the poll doesn't want to influence the results. It's a good thing to vote for in that situation.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Because they can't just not vote?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Keon wrote:
Because they can't just not vote?
If you don't vote, you don't see the other votes. You could click 'Show responses', but that's the boring way.

And no, I don't believe the 'core' system has cores for specific classes of ship. They're just 'Tier 1', 'Tier 2', etc. I like that system more than the one I made, though. It provides balance to the game as well as providing a definite system. We could decide that a ship that runs off a Tier 1 core is a corvette and one with a Tier 2 core is a frigate if we wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship size classes
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next