Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship size classes

Go down 
+12
Grand Imperial Thunder
Commander Kobialka
Soul of Jack
The Schmetterling
Keon
Shiva
kennysmith1234
blockman42
Iv121
Tiel+
Commander Error
Last_Jedi_Standing
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you think that...
We don't need a standard system.
Ship size classes Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
We should have a system with the same format as the one in the OP here.
Ship size classes Vote_lcap23%Ship size classes Vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
We should have a system of cores, like the one on page 7.
Ship size classes Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
You have a different type of system (please post).
Ship size classes Vote_lcap5%Ship size classes Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
That one random option.
Ship size classes Vote_lcap8%Ship size classes Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm told the system in the Minecraft Forums OP is no longer correct. I can't find a new one, so:

The LJSI OP wrote:

There doesn't seem to be a universally accepted way to designate classes of ships, so to increase the general confusion, I've come up with a new one. All LJSI ships will use it. I just changed it because I realized I'd made everything a size too large.

This naming system applies to military ships. Non-combat vessels may be named differently.

Dropships: These are small (10-100 blocks long) craft designed to carry something (people, cargo, whatever) within the atmosphere of a planet. Shuttles, used to ferry passengers between larger ships, fall into this category. They usually do not have hyperdrives, although some shuttles do.

Gunships: These are like dropships, but instead of being primarily transports, they are combat craft. They are different from corvettes in that they are primarily atmospheric craft, and have no hyperdrive.

Corvettes: These are the smallest ships that can travel through hyperspace. They are between 10 and 100 blocks long. They tend to be fast and cheap. They are used as scouts, light carriers, transports, and disposable combat ships.

Frigates: These are larger than corvettes, being between 100 and 1,000 blocks long. They are used for any number of things. Ones between 500 and 1,000 blocks long are often referred to as assault frigates.

Cruisers: Cruisers are between 1,000 and 10,000 blocks long. They are expensive and dangerous (for the enemy). Cruisers between 5,000 and 10,000 blocks long are often referred to as battlecruisers.

Battleships: Any ship designed for combat between 10,000 and 50,000 blocks long. These are the larges ships commonly seen.

Dreadnaught: These are ships designed for combat that are over 50,000 blocks long. They are very rare and very hard to destroy.

Other designations, such as 'carrier', hospital ship', or 'diplomatic ship' relate to the intended use of the ship, and not it's size.
Does anyone else have anything to say about this? Is there another system somewhere? Should I change this one?

Last edited by Last_Jedi_Standing on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Approve. I'm building an Assault Frigate and possibly a modified cruiser (Drone Carrier) on the server, if I can get some help with it.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Which server?

I'm building a 600+ Carrier myself, but it's going to be exclusive to Taln's fleet.

Also. It's going to be hard as hell to make anything bigger than a frigate :s

I'll add more length to my ship to push it into cruiser range, however.

Fun fact: I can't see the entire carrier at Far rendering distance. I forsee some problems with acquisition of resources for these kinds of ship.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Tiel wrote:
Also. It's going to be hard as hell to make anything bigger than a frigate :s

I'll add more length to my ship to push it into cruiser range, however.

Fun fact: I can't see the entire carrier at Far rendering distance. I forsee some problems with acquisition of resources for these kinds of ship.
Yeah. Dreadnaughts will be pretty rare. Of course, that means that the people with the facilities to make them will be able to control the market for ships. Which isn't bad from out perspective.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Does anyone else have anything to say about this? Is there another system somewhere? Should I change this one?

Other system ? Reminds me of my country - every house is a nation to itself ... I use a totally fked up system I took from my favourite games and when I tried to compare it to real ships (In RL) I came to the conclusion that even the real ships cant decide what they are - a destroyer is bigger than a cruiser , and then another cruiser is bigger than a destroyer - it's ridiculous ... I use fighter - gunship / corvette - cruiser - frigate - destroyer - juggernaut .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Juggernaught is ground, Dreadnaught is naval/space.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Tiel wrote:
That's a good clarification. Turbo Tanks, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Tiel wrote:

Holy hell, yes. Those things deserve a ton more screentime then they actually have.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Tiel wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Holy hell, yes. Those things deserve a ton more screentime then they actually have.
Agreed. I love Turbo Tanks. They're what really got me into Star Wars. You see one briefly in The Clone Wars, but not nearly enough.
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Tiel wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Agreed. I love Turbo Tanks. They're what really got me into Star Wars. You see one briefly in The Clone Wars, but not nearly enough.

The turbo tank was one of my favorite things in Star Was, I even have one built from Legos thats sitting on my bookshelf.
Back to top Go down
kennysmith1234
kennysmith1234

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 am

Well, I am currently planning the build for a massive dreadnought, which I will call simply, The Devil.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 am

Are there any real Juggernauts ? No , so a Juggernaut can be my sandwich Razz . Juggernaut refers to "literal or metaphorical force regarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable" (From wikipedia) so it just fits the kind of ships I need ...
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 am

Iv121 wrote:

Other system ? Reminds me of my country - every house is a nation to itself ... I use a totally fked up system I took from my favourite games and when I tried to compare it to real ships (In RL) I came to the conclusion that even the real ships cant decide what they are - a destroyer is bigger than a cruiser , and then another cruiser is bigger than a destroyer - it's ridiculous ... I use fighter - gunship / corvette - cruiser - frigate - destroyer - juggernaut .

Correction, in the US at any rate, a Cruiser (like the Ticonderoga) is considerably larger than an Arleigh Burke destroyer.

It goes corvette, frigate, destroyer, submarine, cruiser, carrier.

However, I do believe the true and official shipclassing system as defined in the Futurecraft OP is:

Drop/Gunship
Corvette
Frigate
Destroyer
Cruiser
Battlecruiser
Battleship (Carrier)
Dreadnought (Super-carrier)
Superdreadnought
Assault Ship (interchangeable with Leviathan or Titan)
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am

Dropship/gunship are ship roles, I think they are corvette sized .
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am

I think that standard ship classes is a dumb idea. If I make a shipyard that produces frigates that are 100 blocks tall and 500 wide, it's my choice, whereas you may have frigates 20 blocks high and 100 blocks long.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Keon wrote:
I think that standard ship classes is a dumb idea. If I make a shipyard that produces frigates that are 100 blocks tall and 500 wide, it's my choice, whereas you may have frigates 20 blocks high and 100 blocks long.
Yes, but then someone would start selling battleships that were 15 blocks long. They could call them 'battleships' and technically not be lying, but you wouldn't get what you'd purchased.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Usually you have a look at the product before bying it ...
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Uhhh. If you tried to sell me a battleship, I would take a look at it before I bought it.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

I won't try to sell you a battleship as I don't have a "battleship" in my class lexicon ... Can I offer you the Crap class destroyer ? Razz
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Keon wrote:
Uhhh. If you tried to sell me a battleship, I would take a look at it before I bought it.
Of course you would, but that doesn't change my point. If nothing else, a standard system makes things more convenient.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm

I had a standard system, you people didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
I had a standard system, you people didn't like it.
Perhaps this one will be better.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

perhapes we can argree on a set radis?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Perhaps we can agree to spell correctly.

Oh, wait, apparently you meant raids, according to spellcheck.

Sure we can agree to set raids on you.

Again, I am against.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 pm

I would find it incredibly amusing if someone said:

"Fear my new Dreadnought, the largest and most powerful ship in our fleet!"

And then you destroy it using your cruiser, which is twice the size of the Dreadnought.

Hey, I never said YOU'D find it amusing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ship size classes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship size classes
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next