Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Streamlining our development process

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

Streamlining our development process Empty
PostSubject: Streamlining our development process   Streamlining our development process Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I've finally gotten through reading all the topics posted about various ideas on how things should work and what goals we are trying to accomplish. I've also noticed that nobody seems to be on the same page with development of the project.

So, while sitting here at work I thought, maybe I could setup a way for us to accomplish this.

So without further a due here's my idea.

I have a personal server, its a web server and I currently host my girl friends portfolio site off it. Our traffic is minimal as she only gets hits when she's looking for work and putting it out there.

It also has already been paid up for the next 7/8 months and I plan to renew it.

What I think I'll be able to do fairly easily, a bit of PHP and possibly some restricted FTP accounts, would be to setup an area for us to upload and swap files between each other.

This would be restricted to solely approved development people and access can be limited fairly easy. This will allow us to package up our changes and then release them to testers as a completed build. This will also allow us to more easily implement each others changes.

For instance, lets say my layout for blocks and items is decided as being the "build" to use, I'll be able to upload all associated class/java/png files so the over people can get them added into their code. Likewise, once say Frost has a stable build of the ship system, he can drop that into his section and we'll be able to add it into our build.

Once we have our separate builds put together into a total package we can then version it, and then release a download-able URL for our testers to access. I can handle this if necessary since I'd have full access to the server and what not.

Anyway, this needs to be discussed, otherwise we're all going to continue going around in circles so I'm fully open to suggestions/input/hate mail Razz
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Streamlining our development process   Streamlining our development process Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 am

ectrimble20 wrote:

Anyway, this needs to be discussed, otherwise we're all going to continue going around in circles so I'm fully open to suggestions/input/hate mail Razz
Whops! It appears that everyone missed this...
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Streamlining our development process   Streamlining our development process Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:52 am

I remember this just fine. We just aren't at the point where we are directly collaborating on code yet so it's a non-issue.

Also you are in so much trouble.
As a punishment, you have to write "I will not necropost" a hundred times on the blackboard after school today.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Streamlining our development process   Streamlining our development process Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 am

I feel as though all the good threads containing shining nuggets of ideas are being buried near the bottom of the thread listing because every person that joins the forum feels the need to create their own topic listing ideas that are either common sense simple, too simple to add to the mod, or have already been discussed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Streamlining our development process   Streamlining our development process Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Streamlining our development process
Page 1 of 1