Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship Ideas

Go down 
+10
Delta
Caramell
Iv121
hyperlite
Grand Imperial Thunder
torrentialAberration
Ivan2006
Tiel+
Richard_cypher
fredt890
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fredt890

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 pm

I was thinking maybe when in space if you run out of energy your ship would stop (float around) and you would slowly lose air in the ship. So when another person flies by their could be like qhost ships or just empty ships that float around. Like in Lost In Space when they found the Proteus.
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:46 pm

fredt890 wrote:
I was thinking maybe when in space if you run out of energy your ship would stop (float around) and you would slowly lose air in the ship. So when another person flies by their could be like qhost ships or just empty ships that float around. Like in Lost In Space when they found the Proteus.

Laws state that an object in motion stays in motion until acted on by another force. So your ship would just continue going in the same direction until you you hit something.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Laws also dictate that this is commander shepard's favorite thread on the citadel.
Back to top Go down
fredt890

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Yes but thats what i mean when i say float around it would keep going in the same direction but at a much slower pace. And remeber that this is minecraft so we dont have to make it exactly like earth physics.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

fredt890 wrote:
Yes but thats what i mean when i say float around it would keep going in the same direction but at a much slower pace. And remeber that this is minecraft so we dont have to make it exactly like earth physics.

I is obvious you´re new here.
You should know that you propably just started another argument about realism.
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

fredt890 wrote:

but it wouldn't slow down. Find a way to fire a gun in space without oxygen. The bullet will keep going until it hits something. It has no more fuel, but it will keep going to same speed. If i was a captain i would really hope that my ship would keep going after i somehow ran out of fuel. I want this to seam real. If i stop the engines i better keep going. It will save much fuel. I don't want to have to burn the engines the entire trip. It would be pointless.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Richard_cypher wrote:
fredt890 wrote:

but it wouldn't slow down. Find a way to fire a gun in space without oxygen.

Guns work fine without atmospheric oxygen. Gunpowder has oxidizers in it, as do most other explosives. This is why guns work in the first place. The case is a closed container, which doesn't let air in for the initial reaction. Sorry, I know that this wasn't the point you were trying to convey, but I just really get tired of people saying "NO BURNS IN DA SPAS BECUS IZ NOO OXEEJUN!!!111!!!!!!1!11! HERP DERP NO EXPLOSEVES BECUS NO ERR!1!!!
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Thel 'Vadam wrote:

Guns work fine without atmospheric oxygen. Gunpowder has oxidizers in it, as do most other explosives. This is why guns work in the first place. The case is a closed container, which doesn't let air in for the initial reaction.

Learn something new every day!
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Richard_cypher wrote:
Thel 'Vadam wrote:

Guns work fine without atmospheric oxygen. Gunpowder has oxidizers in it, as do most other explosives. This is why guns work in the first place. The case is a closed container, which doesn't let air in for the initial reaction.

Though the bullet only has the energy from the initial explosion, and the gas released, and not the continued burn as they do on earth, but with nothing to slow it, it will go very fast.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:
Richard_cypher wrote:
Thel 'Vadam wrote:

Though the bullet only has the energy from the initial explosion, and the gas released, and not the continued burn as they do on earth, but with nothing to slow it, it will go very fast.

The reaction that causes the expansion of gasses in a firearm does not use any atmospheric oxygen at all. I don't think that a bullet would travel much faster in space than in atmosphere. The lack of friction wouldn't help very much, but the bullet would keep it's velocity until it hit something.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Thel 'Vadam wrote:

The reaction that causes the expansion of gasses in a firearm does not use any atmospheric oxygen at all. I don't think that a bullet would travel much faster in space than in atmosphere. The lack of friction wouldn't help very much, but the bullet would keep it's velocity until it hit something.
Eh, we don't really need to know anyways.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:
Thel 'Vadam wrote:

But then how would we wage space wars?
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Thel 'Vadam wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote:
Thel 'Vadam wrote:

But then how would we wage space wars?
With space age weapons i.e. laser beams, plasma weapons, and the like. Who wants to shoot a normal gun?
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 pm

I do. Nothin' like good ol' 5.56
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Mass drivers. A cruder version of basic railgun tech that enables the rapid deployment of projectiles, similar to planet-bound conventional weaponry. Shortcuts had to be made in the design stage of the technology, consequently the derivative's rate of fire is somewhat slower than the original.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 12:21 am

Infantry weapons and some ship weapons would probably still be mostly conventional firearms.
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 am

The point of this topic isn't supposed to be about guns. It's about Ships slowing down due to lack of fuel. I say disagree. It's not realistic. I know it's a video game, but it will bug the crap out of me and every person with the proper understanding of physics. It makes no sense and defies the laws of physics. Yes i know there are many things in minecraft that defies that laws of physics. I just don't see the need to put one in on purpose that has no reason.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:47 am

Richard_cypher wrote:
The point of this topic isn't supposed to be about guns. It's about Ships slowing down due to lack of fuel. I say disagree. It's not realistic. I know it's a video game, but it will bug the crap out of me and every person with the proper understanding of physics. It makes no sense and defies the laws of physics. Yes i know there are many things in minecraft that defies that laws of physics. I just don't see the need to put one in on purpose that has no reason.

Oh, thats what this topic is about? Well then, no. Ships should keep their momentum unless there is some kind of brake implemented, like the engine slows the ship when fuel reaches a certain level, which would certainly be acceptable.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:54 am

I think it'd be pretty interesting to have to have a certain amount of fuel needed to decelerate the vehicle. Combined with the ship collision system, noobs in chat screaming WHY CAN'T I STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 am

Tiel wrote:
I think it'd be pretty interesting to have to have a certain amount of fuel needed to decelerate the vehicle. Combined with the ship collision system, noobs in chat screaming WHY CAN'T I STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

hahaha that would make my day! Hope my guns can detect when a ship has lost it's ability to stop... or if a noob forgot to put it in...
Back to top Go down
fredt890

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Ok then how abot this when your energy does run out in space you keep going in the same direction just you guns,shield, and lights basically everything thatll be electronic that runs off the energy will shutdown. Basically allowing pirates or anyone really to attack you and steal your goods.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 pm

How does pirates related to it ?
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 pm

fredt890 wrote:
Ok then how abot this when your energy does run out in space you keep going in the same direction just you guns,shield, and lights basically everything thatll be electronic that runs off the energy will shutdown. Basically allowing pirates or anyone really to attack you and steal your goods.

If your engines run out of fuel or propellant then you could still use your reactor to fire weapons, you just wouldn't be able to move. If you run out of reactor fuel you can't do anything, then the space sharks come...
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Iv121 wrote:
How does pirates related to it ?
Those were just an example for a possible danger.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Richard_cypher wrote:
Tiel wrote:

hahaha that would make my day! Hope my guns can detect when a ship has lost it's ability to stop... or if a noob forgot to put it in...
Though if you are in desperate need to stop and don't have the fuel to you can always skim off the tops of planets atmospheres... Then you can't maintain enough speed to stay out of the planet's gravitational field and will crash...
So, outa fuel you are screwed.. unless you can get help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ship Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Ideas   Ship Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Ideas
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next