Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dux Tell31
Recruit
Recruit
Dux Tell31

OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Empty
PostSubject: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I believe that we need one of the Futurecraft Devs. able to talk in this discussion, (read the Wall of text if your confused) preferably Frostbite in my opinion.

We may not be one of BIG mods out there, but we can also count Copernicus and the new supposedly "game changing"(don't you love puns) Rendering and Graphic Engine thats being developed right now, to help get our guy/girl (we dont know who yet) into this discussion.

The fallowing was taken from the minecraftfourms.net homepage, here's the link.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/534-minecraft-api-discussion-sat-2000-cest-minecraftdev-on-esper/

Hi everyone!

While we continue working on the foundation of Minecraft itself, we'd like to get started on our promise to involve the community in shaping the official API by having our first planned Minecraft API discussion. This Saturday we're hoping to have an informal discussion on the community's thoughts and ideas on what they feel the API should provide and how it should be shaped. We already have some topics in mind of our own that we'd like to cover, but we encourage you to prepare some of your own topics of interest for the discussion for you and us to get the most out of the opportunity.

To keep things manageable, we'll most likely have to limit the amount of people that are able to talk. As such, we'll be giving representatives from modding groups that develop a modding platform, like Bukkit, Spout, etc. priority when selecting who will be provided with voice. If we feel that more participants will be manageable, we'll provide other modders with the ability to participate. We wish we could just let everyone talk, but that would be a bit too crazy, sorry. If you believe that there is a better way to go about doing this, feel free to mention it in a post below and we'll take it into consideration.

If you're interested in joining us for the discussion, we're planning to hold the meeting this Saturday at 20:00 CEST on the Esper IRC network in the channel #minecraftdev. If you can't make it, we'll be providing logs of the meeting after the fact.

Who:
To keep things manageable, we'll most likely have to limit the amount of people that are able to talk. As such, we'll be giving representatives from modding groups that develop a modding platform, like Bukkit, Spout, etc. priority when selecting who will be provided with voice. If we feel that more participants will be manageable, we'll provide other modders with the ability to participate. We wish we could just let everyone talk, but that would be a bit too crazy, sorry.

What:
An informal discussion to get an idea for what future discussions should be about, a feel for what ideas people have regarding the API and so on.

When:
This Saturday, June 30th 2012, at 20:00 CEST (check what time this is in your time zone).
2:00:00 pm EDT, Saturday, June 30, 2012 (East Cost USA)

Where:
#minecraftdev on the Esper IRC network, irc.esper.net.

Hope to see you there!

// The Minecraft Team
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 am

I likely won't have much worth contributing; we're doing our own thing for the most part, so a general API won't be affecting us. But if I'm awake I'll probably poke my head in.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:59 pm

If anyone is interested, the discussion is starting now.
#minecraftdev on EsperNet
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Alright tell us about it when it's done.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 8:38 pm

...Troubling. pale
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Tell Tiel what went wrong.

OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION MichaelJacksonEatingPopcorn
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 1:56 pm

It was my opinion, as well as that of the other developers I was watching it with, that these guys don't seem aware of what they are getting themselves into. The thin client model is going to wreak a ton of mods, mostly the big ones, and not one person present seemed the least bit concerned about that (seemed more a case of ignorance than apathy).

They made a distinction between 'plugins', like how they are in bukkit where they don't modify base files, and 'mods' which do modify base files. Not a whole lot concrete information yet on how or if that would be any different from what bukkit and forge provide already. Also, it's possible we might get a centralized hub for mod distribution and discussion, assuming Mojang will stand behind it.

The topic of x-ray hacks came up briefly. They came to the conclusion that software-based occlusion culling would be too slow to work on a server in real time. We all had a good laugh about that.

UDP protocol was brought up for I think the first time ever in an official capacity, though the discussion was pretty abstract and not nearly as much support as I would have hoped for.

And there was a bunch of other stuff, mostly community related I didn't really pay too much attention to. You can get the full transcript [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73774243/ModAPILog.txt"]HERE[/url] if you are curious. There was nothing terribly technical, and I doubt anyone here would have any trouble following it.

Overall, it was rather disappointing, though I'm not sure what I was expecting. I really thought this would be some grand summit of Mojang's Chosen Few, and after a short discussion they would have solved all the problems with the API. To find out that they're just regular people who don't have all the answers was kind of disheartening, like being told Santa Claus isn't real.

So that was the first Modding API meeting. There will likely be more in the future, which would be good. If nothing else, I'm glad they're doing this out in the open, so the rest of us at least get a heads-up on what's going to happen. And worst comes to worst, if the API interferes with our project we can just break it like we were going to do anyway. We're under no obligation to play by the rules. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
It was my opinion, as well as that of the other developers I was watching it with, that these guys don't seem aware of what they are getting themselves into. The thin client model is going to wreak a ton of mods, mostly the big ones, and not one person present seemed the least bit concerned about that (seemed more a case of ignorance than apathy).

They made a distinction between 'plugins', like how they are in bukkit where they don't modify base files, and 'mods' which do modify base files. Not a whole lot concrete information yet on how or if that would be any different from what bukkit and forge provide already. Also, it's possible we might get a centralized hub for mod distribution and discussion, assuming Mojang will stand behind it.

The topic of x-ray hacks came up briefly. They came to the conclusion that software-based occlusion culling would be too slow to work on a server in real time. We all had a good laugh about that.

UDP protocol was brought up for I think the first time ever in an official capacity, though the discussion was pretty abstract and not nearly as much support as I would have hoped for.

And there was a bunch of other stuff, mostly community related I didn't really pay too much attention to. You can get the full transcript [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73774243/ModAPILog.txt"]HERE[/url] if you are curious. There was nothing terribly technical, and I doubt anyone here would have any trouble following it.

Overall, it was rather disappointing, though I'm not sure what I was expecting. I really thought this would be some grand summit of Mojang's Chosen Few, and after a short discussion they would have solved all the problems with the API. To find out that they're just regular people who don't have all the answers was kind of disheartening, like being told Santa Claus isn't real.

So that was the first Modding API meeting. There will likely be more in the future, which would be good. If nothing else, I'm glad they're doing this out in the open, so the rest of us at least get a heads-up on what's going to happen. And worst comes to worst, if the API interferes with our project we can just break it like we were going to do anyway. We're under no obligation to play by the rules. Smile

Nothing great is every accomplished if you follow the rules. Living to every standard and guideline is the path to mediocrity.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:15 am

When I read that, all I see is F*** THA POLICE! Smile

Also, to be fair, Dinnerbone was not present at the discussion, and it was his thoughts I was most interested in hearing. He is the one most directly involved in merging single and multiplayer, and likely has a better idea of what that will entail and how to make it work than the others did. I'll wait until I've seen some more concrete results before passing judgement on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION   OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL MINECRAFT API DISCUSSION
Page 1 of 1