Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Survey-type-thing

Go down 
+11
hyperlite
Burnttoaster
Avenger_7
Potato
yomi
fr0stbyte124
Ivan2006
Keon
Last_Jedi_Standing
Iv121
The Schmetterling
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:05 am

I need help with a RAVE assignment (Religion And Values Education).

I need each of you to write a few sentences on your opinion of cloning. It's doesn't have to be particularly good, just needs to be something I can say:

Some people believe: x. Mr. Y supports this: "insert quote here".

So, do you agree with all forms of cloning? Or do yo find reproductive cloning of humans an ethical breech? Do you think that we should clone animals? Should we clone organs (therapeutic cloning) for medical use?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am

Do you want me to send you my English Project about cybernetic and genetic modifications to human beings ? Has a chapter about cloning and ethics Smile .
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 am

I don't have any ethical problems with any form of cloning. I think that cloning tissues and organs for medical purposes is a wonderful idea that will save lives. Cloning animals is OK, but someone will eventually realize that they can clone the meat tissues directly, without any animals being involved. Not even vegetarians would object to eating that. I think cloning humans would be alright, but I don't think governments will ever let it happen. Clones would become second-class citizens, doing manual labor and stuff like sewer patrols. You also have to worry about the clones killing their leaders and supporting the new Emperor, but there are ways to get around that. Self-destruct chips, for example.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:28 am

cloning animals, plants, fungi and other such stuff is fine. Cloning tissues is fine. Cloning humans I have a problem with only if the humans are being cloned for bad reasons. If a clone of me is created to be a slave, that is unacceptable. If I die and my family wants another person like me, even without my memories, that's fine. I won't know, I'm dead. As LJS said, Clones would be second class, and then we would either have a clone revolt or a clone civil rights movement. So fine with me morally but problematic.

By the way, in Religion and Ethics, what religion is it? Or can you chose? Is this in a private school or public?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 pm

There is a reason why human cloning research is forbidden in most countries of the world. Fruits, animals , tissues - fine. It doesn't rly matter for animals as they will still be food - cloned or grown.
BTW Keon it's either fully yes or no. If a clone of you can be created and given to your family it can be also created and given as cheap slave labor or a well trained army (Modify those genes a bit and create yourself a super soldier and than a zombie outbreak like in resident evil Razz ). If this technology exists nothing can stop a bunch of unethical ppl from doing so.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Iv121 wrote:
There is a reason why human cloning research is forbidden in most countries of the world. Fruits, animals , tissues - fine. It doesn't rly matter for animals as they will still be food - cloned or grown.
BTW Keon it's either fully yes or no. If a clone of you can be created and given to your family it can be also created and given as cheap slave labor or a well trained army (Modify those genes a bit and create yourself a super soldier and than a zombie outbreak like in resident evil Razz ). If this technology exists nothing can stop a bunch of unethical ppl from doing so.

I know. Ethically, I have no problem with a clone being grown of me for a good cause, but sooner or later, the clones or the nonclones will cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Keon wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

I know. Ethically, I have no problem with a clone being grown of me for a good cause, but sooner or later, the clones or the nonclones will cause a problem.
Yeah. No matter how it starts, it ends with Bladerunner.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Bladerunner was androids, not clones, correct?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Keon wrote:
Bladerunner was androids, not clones, correct?
I'm pretty sure they were clones, but it doesn't matter. It's the same principle.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Anyway, I think, it is quite O.K. to clone animals and plants and stuff but when it comes to human beings I think it should be forbidden to do so. Here are some reasons for that:
1.) as stated before, Cloning technology can be abused.
2.) It is quite unlikely that clones will be threated like any normal human. For example, they might not be able to chose their job or maybe they will all have to become soliders.
3.) Until we fully understand the human genetics, there will be a lot of failures resulting in heavily handicapped humans who additionally might get excluded by society because they´re clones.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 am

The Island dealt with cloning, but they also thought MSN would be the search engine of the future so what the hell do they know?

I believe it is only a matter of time before designer genomes become the norm as a way of accelerating human evolution, and when that happens, I don't think we have any right to say that's wrong. Also class division is a faulty argument because we already have that. Just right now it's based on material wealth rather than genes.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:53 am

Point is you can become rich, you can't become a non-clone. Besides class division is alright (Saw the results of communism) but not racism or maybe even slavery where all that stuff heads towards.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:07 am

I don't know why you guys seem to think that clones are going to be inferior to natural born humans. There are soon to be 7 billion people on this planet. Organ growing is one thing, but there's no reason to have full human clones unless they are planning on making some improvements over the original.
Back to top Go down
yomi

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 am

Isn't biggest issue with cloning humans, that all cloned animals died really fast, or were cripled?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am

yomi wrote:
Isn't biggest issue with cloning humans, that all cloned animals died really fast, or were cripled?

It's one of the issues.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:31 am

Thank you everyone for your valuable, and sometimes not so valuable, input.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 am

Frost brings up an interesting point. Why need Clones unless you want them better or for an army? Sewer work. Plus, I bet somewhere in some religeon it says that clones have no soul and should be put to death. That might spark a bit of racism.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Uh which religion actually knows about clones or genes ? (I mean of the bigger ones, I'm ever that some crazy guy may declare himself a prophet right now and fail to create a new religion )

Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Uh which religion actually knows about clones or genes ? (I mean of the bigger ones, I'm ever that some crazy guy may declare himself a prophet right now and fail to create a new religion )

That is a point. Religions in general are known for having trouble adapting to things like modern times, real life, and being proven completely and conclusively wrong on every single point. They're not the best things to turn to for advice on anything related to science in general or biology in particular.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

That is a point. Religions in general are known for having trouble adapting to things like modern times, real life, and being proven completely and conclusively wrong on every single point. They're not the best things to turn to for advice on anything related to science in general or biology in particular.

Don't you just love that moment in church where you correct a priest (Preach? Really AutoCorrect, really?) when he/she says something against the laws of physics?

Last edited by Khmac on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Iv121 wrote:

Historically, the larger religions (particularly Christianity/Catholicism) have always had a hard time accepting anything that departs from their way of thinking or that they don't quite understand.

Also, LJS, they aren't conclusively proven wrong, it's just that there is an incredible amount of evidence that is contrary to what they preach. The only way to conclusively prove them wrong is to travel back in time and see what happened first hand. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Iv121 wrote:

Historically, the larger religions (particularly Christianity/Catholicism) have always had a hard time accepting anything that departs from their way of thinking or that they don't quite understand.

Also, LJS, they aren't conclusively proven wrong, it's just that there is an incredible amount of evidence that is contrary to what they preach. The only way to conclusively prove them wrong is to travel back in time and see what happened first hand. Just sayin'.
At some point 'huge amount of evidence' = 'conclusive'. For example, if you found someone holding a bloody axe standing over someone who had been killed by an axe, screaming "AH HA HA! Take that, you @#$%&@! I warned you, didn't I!? And you got it! OH YES! YOU GOT IT! HA HA HA!", technically it's just circumstantial evidence. That wouldn't keep him from getting arrested.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 pm

You didn't consider the biggest religion though : Buddhism Razz (And everything like that I dunno the real difference between that stuff) .
I believe cloning is gonna sort of ruin their way of thinking that says souls enter another body when a person dies Razz . Or isn't ?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Iv121 wrote:
You didn't consider the biggest religion though : Buddhism Razz (And everything like that I dunno the real difference between that stuff) .
I believe cloning is gonna sort of ruin their way of thinking that says souls enter another body when a person dies Razz . Or isn't ?
The simple answer would be that clones don't have souls.
Back to top Go down
Burnttoaster
Recruit
Recruit
Burnttoaster

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:12 pm

I say just make a bunch of blank clones, and if my body get to old, or damaged, just pop my mind into one of them, and I get to live forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Survey-type-thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survey-type-thing   Survey-type-thing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Survey-type-thing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: