Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Beginning to learn Java

Go down 
+15
Cool3304
Dux Tell31
GLaDOS
Keon
Tiel+
Last_Jedi_Standing
hyperlite
Laibach
Cool3303
VelouriumCamper
The Schmetterling
fr0stbyte124
ectrimble20
Buggy1997123
tonyri
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyri
tonyri

Beginning to learn Java Empty
PostSubject: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm starting one of those on-line page by page Java beginner tutorials. I hope I finish in the next aeon. Wish me luck Smile
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:08 pm

tonyri wrote:
I'm starting one of those on-line page by page Java beginner tutorials. I hope I finish in the next aeon. Wish me luck Smile
Eon*. And good luck!
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
tonyri wrote:
Eon*. And good luck!
World English Dictionary
aeon or esp ( US ) eon (ˈiːən, ˈiːɒn, ˈiːən, ˈiːɒn)

— n
1. an immeasurably long period of time; age
2. a period of one thousand million years
3. ( often capital ) gnosticism one of the powers emanating from the supreme being and culminating in the demiurge

[C17: from Greek aiōn an infinitely long time]
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 pm

tonyri wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:
tonyri wrote:
Eon*. And good luck!
World English Dictionary
aeon or esp ( US ) eon (ˈiːən, ˈiːɒn, ˈiːən, ˈiːɒn)

— n
1. an immeasurably long period of time; age
2. a period of one thousand million years
3. ( often capital ) gnosticism one of the powers emanating from the supreme being and culminating in the demiurge

[C17: from Greek aiōn an infinitely long time]

e·on   /ˈiən, ˈiɒn/ [ee-uhn, ee-on]

noun

1. an indefinitely long period of time; age.
2. the largest division of geologic time, comprising two or more eras.
3. Astronomy . one billion years.

Its spelled both ways apparently.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 pm

oh god, who cares, Aeo, egon, regon, blah.

Anyway, good luck, if you need assistance, just ask. Java isn't something you just learn over night.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Ectrimble is right. Don't get discouraged unless it's taken you more than a weekend.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 am

ectrimble20 wrote:
oh god, who cares, Aeo, egon, regon, blah.

Anyway, good luck, if you need assistance, just ask. Java isn't something you just learn over night.

That's why I failed!?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:52 pm

lol, no Doc, you failed because you gave up.

I've started and stopped numerous times with the learning process, however, because I didn't simply put it up and never look at it again I can now say I'm able to program in PHP, Perl, Java, JavaScript, MySQL, and a tad bit of C++. I've got my C++ book over in the corner there, just need to find a good compiler and I'll try that for the 100th time lol.

My advice to the people picking this stuff up for the first time. Don't be over whelmed. It's going to be a bit daunting, but start off with a simple online tutorial, work into the more complicated stuff, then and only then, break out MCP/ModLoader and give modding a shot. If you attempt to jump strait into modding, you'll just be confused and frustrated, which leads to giving up. So on that note, give it another go Doc! I have the faith!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 am

ectrimble20 wrote:

I've started and stopped numerous times with the learning process, however, because I didn't simply put it up and never look at it again I can now say I'm able to program in PHP, Perl, Java, JavaScript, MySQL, and a tad bit of C++. I've got my C++ book over in the corner there, just need to find a good compiler and I'll try that for the 100th time lol.

My advice to the people picking this stuff up for the first time. Don't be over whelmed. It's going to be a bit daunting, but start off with a simple online tutorial, work into the more complicated stuff, then and only then, break out MCP/ModLoader and give modding a shot. If you attempt to jump strait into modding, you'll just be confused and frustrated, which leads to giving up. So on that note, give it another go Doc! I have the faith!

I didn't give up, the computer's internet connection broke, making updating MCP and everything else a real pain.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:

I didn't give up, the computer's internet connection broke, making updating MCP and everything else a real pain.

Well you're on the internet now, why you no code?!? Bad excuse is bad!

But yeah, Java sucks to learn, wasn't sure if you guys were aware of this or not. Static, Abstract, Method's, Data types, OMG!!!! What happened to good old $x = "whatever I want!"
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Those were terrible days! You had to assign each line a number to go backwards in code. Dark times.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Different computer. My desktop's internet connection broke, meaning that I have to use the lap-top for internet. Great, except all of the useful programs are only installed on the desktop.
Back to top Go down
VelouriumCamper

Location : Somewhere in the gooey, gooey centre of the Earth. It's like Caramel.

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 am

I told myself I would learn Java about 8 months ago. I haven't gone very far. I am never keen on teaching myself anything, or learning through those pagebypage tutorials, because I always get big ambitious ideas and try to use many, many tabs to explore those ideas. Logic denies me my right :L Maybe, one day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eden51devblog.tumblr.com
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:07 am

Lol, VC, this forum's not going anywhere. You don't have to contribute to every single thread on your first day.
You should pace yourself or you wont have anything to comment on down the road. Smile
Back to top Go down
VelouriumCamper

Location : Somewhere in the gooey, gooey centre of the Earth. It's like Caramel.

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 am

I tend to visit things once and then not again for a very, very long time. I will be leaving to visit my aunt tomorrow and wont be back for two days and then I have school again 4 days later. I won't have much time for things like this after this week, and so am making the most of my brain still functioning correctly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eden51devblog.tumblr.com
Cool3303
Recruit
Recruit
Cool3303

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey I need help with an easy mod it should give some standard blocks (Wool and such stuff) special abilities

There would be non burning and Explosion resistance (okay this part is easy)

and Item Fall trough (the things you throw with q (need help here)

Item Destruction ( same as above)

and Player speed up (mobs mustn´t be closed out by this effect( need help here)

This effects should be separated and I need to know how to lay them on the same Block ID

PS. I actually can nothing with Java but to change standard blocks is the easiest thing you can do
Back to top Go down
Cool3303
Recruit
Recruit
Cool3303

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Another help ask would be about a mod which adds bollts (which keeps things Stick together if they are moved with a piston, to our disagreers I will call it Glue Evil or Very Mad )
And which removes the Block restrictions from Pistons (actually they can only move 12 blocks or something like this)

and It would be great if someone helps me to make the Pistons Leading (like Redstone dust)

PS: Recruit Very Happy and in the Top 20
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

oh mah gosh.... I forgot how ridiculous cool was XD

Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Wow, Coal, when Cool was still an active member here I never really read his posts, but now that I'm reading them I see what little sense he makes. I don't understand what he is trying to get across to me in the 2 posts above, or why he posted them there. I cannot even piece together what he is trying to say, but it is funny to read! Smile
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm

hyperlite58 wrote:
Wow, Coal, when Cool was still an active member here I never really read his posts, but now that I'm reading them I see what little sense he makes. I don't understand what he is trying to get across to me in the 2 posts above, or why he posted them there. I cannot even piece together what he is trying to say, but it is funny to read! Smile
He says (I think):
Hey, I need help making an easy mod. I want to give some vanilla blocks (like wool, for example) special abilities.
I would make them nonflammable and blast-proof. (That part is easy.)
Items (That's item drops, like you throw with the 'q' key) should also fall through them. (I need help with that.)
The items should be destroyed when they fall through.1 (I need help here, too.)
The blocks should make the player speed up, but mobs shouldn't be closed out2 by this effect. (I also need help here.)
They should be separate effects, but I need to know how to give them all to the same block.
I know nothing about Java, but changing vanilla blocks is the easiest thing you can do. 3

I also need help with a mod that adds bolts.4 The bolts should hold things together, so pistons move them at the same time. I will call them glue5, because some people don't like bolts.
It should remove the block restrictions from pistons, allowing them to move more than 12 blocks at a time.
It would also be great if someone would help me make pistons multidirectional, like redstone dust.6 They would change shape depending on the blocks around them. 7

1 So what's the point of having them fall through?
2 I'm not even going to guess what this means.
3 How do you know?
4 Or bollts. Who knows.
5 I though they were bollts. What's this about glue? Pick a name.
6 I hope that's what he means.
7 How is that supposed to work? Did you think about it for more or less than 15 second before typing it?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:

Beginning to learn Java C3PO
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Tiel wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:

Beginning to learn Java C3PO
He may be fluent in over six million forms of communication, but I doubt he would have translated Cool any better than I did. Wink
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:14 pm

C3PO couldn't translate.

Anyway, about number 1: Those were two different blocks.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Keon wrote:
C3PO couldn't translate.

Anyway, about number 1: Those were two different blocks.
Yeah, but he said he wanted to be able to put them all on one block.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginning to learn Java   Beginning to learn Java Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginning to learn Java
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next