Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

stargates for the mod

Go down 
+8
xanex21
Grand Imperial Thunder
Danice123
Last_Jedi_Standing
Keon
Tiel+
fr0stbyte124
Commander Kobialka
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

stargates for the mod - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Here's a thought: if camping was too overpowered, we could make the gates produce a sort of radiation that interferes with targeting computers, allowing you to fight but you have to do it manually.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm

I still like phase jumps.

How about you can jump from anywhere outside of your gravity well? How is that unbalanced?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I think the Gates would be far more versatile. Maybe an expensive addon that lets you use phase space or some other.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't really care how FTL or jumping is handled. But the connectivity between adjacent star systems needs to be defined at start-up, i.e. you cannot travel from one system to any random system in the galaxy. To do so would put a lot of additional strain on our central server.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 pm

???

What makes you say that?

Here's how I see it working.

stargates for the mod - Page 2 Untitl11

This way, the main server plays no part in it.
We could even expand this so that all the servers know 4 others, and then we need no master server.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:45 pm

But if the mod uses Gates, less strain would be put on the server until people start getting them online. Even then, the use of them seems much more coordinated; ie 50 ships could go in at 1 second intervals and make the central one go WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF, whereas with gates problems like that wouldn't be apparent since there'd be a cooldown period between groups of ships leaving.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Iris, anyone?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:15 am

Knowing ahead of time which servers can connect to which other servers allows us to take statistics on the traffic between servers, so that we can better prepare for large amounts of traffic at different times of day, or allocate supplementary servers to help out. Additionally, gates give us an in-game mechanism for throttling the amount of traffic between servers to prevent flash mobs in the first place. This type of thing is outside of my field, though, so I can't say for sure this is the right way to handle it. I'll have to research it more thoroughly once we get to that phase.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 am

For the gates themselves, why not use something similar to the portal gun mod, in that the portal is clear, your ship can be half in and half out(or at least appear to be) and your ship can fire weapons through the portal.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 am

I won't say it's impossible, but it would be tricky. Seeing through the portal is one thing, but interacting through it would require a lot more complicated protocol.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:05 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I won't say it's impossible, but it would be tricky. Seeing through the portal is one thing, but interacting through it would require a lot more complicated protocol.

If you could get permission from the guy who made the portal gun mod, you could try and decompile the files for the complex protocol. Just as long as it plays nice with everyone's code...
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 am

Teleporting an entity between two fixed positions in a single static world is child's play. What you are describing would entail a custom p2p protocol which must synchronize complex entity interaction between not only two servers running on different machines with asynchronous timings and variable rate transmission speed, but also all observing clients. Entity interactions between two worlds are complicated enough on a single server, not to mention the fact that Minecraft doesn't even attempt synchronization in its vanilla protocol.

It would be a cool feature to have, but something of this complexity should not be taken on lightly.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Stargates: I'll let the DEVs code them. Suggestions:

Iris/Shield for defense;
Iris computer (so you can open the iris remotely with a code.

DHD (used to enter destination IP).
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Wait, I swear I made a post in-between Fr0stbyte and ACH0225...

Oh well,

As it is, I was always going to have some forming of dialing computer, not necessarily a DHD, and definitively some form of shield or defense for the gate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stargates for the mod   stargates for the mod - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stargates for the mod
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: