Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

ectrimble dev log

Go down 
+15
hyperlite
ACH0225
GLaDOS
Apokalypse
tonyri
Misticblade7
DragoonPreston
roguenerd
The Schmetterling
Shiva
Hierarch Fenway
elmeerkat
fr0stbyte124
Buggy1997123
ectrimble20
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

#Updated 12/28/2011

## Alpha Build Progress ##

As stated on page 5 of this topic, items/blocks/everything is on hold until I finish building the SQL hooks that we will need for the inter-server travel. Why? Because, what the @#*$%@% good is a block if it's only on one server? It's no good at all, thats the answer.

But what will this mean for our super-awesome-world-destroying-stuff? It means it'll have to wait.

BUT WHY!?!?

Well right now the hooks I'm working on will allow us to:

Monitor server traffic
Monitor user locations (on servers, not IRL Razz )
Keep track of user inventories
Allow us to transfer inventories from planet 1 to planet 2
Allow us to transfer entities (such as massive space ships) from server 1 to server 2
And a number of other little tracking utilites

What does this mean for us? Well it means our mod is going to kick ass, and take names. Put the "MySQLpernicus" engine together with the Copernicus engine FrostByte is developing and we're going to have a minecraft mod to end all mods.

PEACE

##Update #01 - version 0.0.1 Alpha Updates##
Due to computer failure, I lost my previous work, so I've started from scratch with my own personal ideas. I'm aware that most of these will not be in line with what we are actually doing, but it will 1) give me templates for which to easily implement other changes and 2) give me some basics to work with so I can develop other systems without worrying about too many details. This is how I'll be doing my item and etc development until we work out a more specific development plan.

Plans for 0.0.1 Alpha - progress as of 11/10/2011
------------------------------------
Completed - 01.Add blocks - my own, based on ideas I've read from the forum using my own skins for now
Completed - 02.Natural Generation of new blocks
Completed - 03.Smelting patters - again of my own
In Progress - 04.Armor - personal
In Progress - 05.Weapons - personal
In Progress - 06.Items - Electronic and parts componets
In Progress - 07.Item Recipes - based on Armor/Weapons/New Items
In Progress - 08.Alloys

##Progress Log##

11/18/2011
-------------
I'll be wrapping up my Alpha build this weekend. All my items on in place, just need to get textures finished. Once I get home tonight I'm going to post a full list of added items, blocks, armors and tools.

11/13/2011
-------------
After a long night of this and that, finally figured out how to make the bolter into a non-explosive firearm, was actually really simple, I was just being dumb. Bolters is now "alpha" ready.
on a side note, I added a grenade.
Also working on special armor plating blocks, still concepting these out but I'm thinking these will be the exterior of the space ships, or possibly reinforcements for key parts, not sure yet, first tests didn't go well, the 'resistance' field didn't seem to effect their explosion resistance, a 2F tnt blast was knocking them down left and right. Going to have to debug that.
Working on a skin for the Mjolnir armor, this was initialy going to be an easter egg project for Shiva, BUT, I might steal the skin as it looks sweet, well at least the helm does, haven't gotten any further along then that, but its looking good regardless.
Also, just as a note, don't try to craft things using block.blockID, for 1, it doesn't work cuz its wrong, and for 2, it crashes the client on startup, it will compile just fine though Razz
Next steps will be to add in a medium assault rifle and fix some of these minor bugs, I'm anticipating that my inital Alpha build will be completed by next weekend assuming murphys law doesn't get in the way.

11/12/2011
-------------
Bolter is functioning better and better, now fires a higher speed projectile. Still working out issues with the radius of detection, seems to explode within 1-2 blocks of anything, which makes shooting in tight spaces a bit.... leathal? lol.
Light Alloy Armor is in and functioning, custom skinned and all. Have to work on the balance as it seems to make people invulnerable to damage at the moment, going to have to dig through the armor classes to figure out how to balance that out as I still have to add Carbon Fiber and Composite Fiber armor and I'm probably going to make a Heavy Alloy armor (plus a easter egg for Shiva).
Re-worked some icons and have a few issues to work out with smelting the alloy blocks but other wise progress has been smooth.

11/10/2011
-------------
Halted work on the bolter for a night, will resume tomorrow or saturday with the animation fixes and trajectory stuff.
For tonight, I added alot of stuff. So far I've added 3 new armors, 2 new alloy bars, 2 new alloy blocks, a bunch of new recipes for each of them and 1 new crafting material, Composite Fiber, basically it will be Carbon Fiber combined with light alloy (haven't figured out names so its Light and Heavy alloy so far).
Adding onto the alloy discussion. I was able to easily implement smelting down an alloy Block into 9 alloy bars to make an even yield of block to alloy exchange for the materials.

11/09/2011
-------------
Progress on the Bolter has been steady. This is more of a proof of concept gun for myself. It currently fires an entity, consumes ammo, and plays a sound. The entity also explodes either after 40 ticks, or on impact, its also disabled by water. I suspect 2 or 3 more days and this will be functioning as intended and I'll move on the the heavy weapons

11/07/2011

Items have been added into the game along with their respective recipes. See the below notes for more details on the Items/Armors and what not.

11/06/2011

New blocks, Ingots, and Smelting recipes are in place. Natural generation is also in place and working. Moving on to items.

#######################################################################################################
#notes

I'm currently working on items, I need ideas and icons for weapons, armor, items, tools and what not.

Planned Items:
Carbon Fiber - added
Capacitor - added
Circuit Board - added
Electrical Components - added
Computer Core - added

*all items will have associated recipes*

Planned Armors: *names are just filler*
Carbon Fiber Composite Armor
Alloy Armor
Heavy Alloy Armor

Planned Weapons:
Bolter (40k, yeah I know Razz) - cheap efficient firearm - **Alpha build completed see notes below**
Assulter (made that one up) - Expensive but powerful rifle
Heavy Assault Rifle - Shoots rounds that go boom

##Tools##

Planned Tools: - rather than clog up my item ID's and sprites with every variety of pick, I'm going to make new mining tools
Iron Drill - bout the same as your Iron pick maybe a bit more expensive, but should effectively replace the "picks" as a whole
Tungsten Drill - Equivilant of a diamond pick, will be expensive to make, but last a long time
Plasma Extration Tool - Very expensive, but lasts a very long time and works stupid fast

**Update: I've settled on a plan for the drills. I'll only be adding the two drills, and the 1 extraction tool as origionally planned. However, the way you make the drills will be a bit different. Here's my idea

Start off with you usual pick, once you've gotten to the point where you're making electrical componets you'll be able to make an electrical motor. Once you've build that, you build yourself a handle, a drill tip, which will be Iron or Tungsten, then insert a power soruce (uranium/redstone battery or something of that nature) and viola, drill. Drills will last 3-4 times as long as comparable picks simply due to their expensive cost. As for speed, the Iron drill will be about 1/2 times faster than the current iron pick, the Tungsten drill will be about twice the speed of the diamond pick (these numbers are subject to change once I can test them out).

The Plasma Extraction Tool will be the end all be all mining tool. Lasting about 4 times as long as a Tungsten drill and able to work at 1/2 times the speed, it can rip apart anything however it will require a special new item, the power cell (again, just concept here), because the Extration tool uses a plasma tip to extract the block, damage sustained to the tool by use is very low, hence why it last 4 times longer than Tungsten (which lasts 4 times longer than Diamond), but because of this, it needs a power cell in order to keep the plasma beam charged, these act like ammo and can be made from uranium in decent quantity. More to come as I develop this, oh and yes, I did just make that up on the fly Razz

##Alloys##

I'm thinking for alloys, you'll combine 3 of each bar in a certain pattern and depending on the alloy, and it will yield a block. You'll then smelt that block down into 9 bars of the alloy, that, to me, makes sense and is also something I haven't seen in a mod before, so I'll give it a whirl.

Also, I was thinking these alloy blocks would be a nice little "enhancement peice, used to reinforce positions, as they'll have very high resistance but because of their cost in raw material, wont be practical for building entire structures/ships.

###Completed Alpha Notes###

Bolter - a cheap, efficent firearm very handy for self defence. Fires a small, high velocity projectile that causes 5H damage (for the time being, will be balanced with other weapons soon enough). Excellent for Anti-Creeper and Skeleton operations.

Ores - All planned ores have been added and are generating well. A little balance is still needed. Certain metals seem to generate better than others. Aluminum is not common enough, nor is copper, while nickle seems a bit too common as does Chrome. Tungsten will need a tweak as it's used in a number of recipes and will need to be a bit more common. Uranium is quite interesting, the block has a natural glow and is quite rare, which is intended.

Ingots - All planned ingots are in place and functioning as intended.

Armor - Only light Alloy has been implemented, it still needs to be tweaked as its impossibly strong at the moment.

Alloys - Two alloys, light and heavy, have been added.

Last edited by ectrimble20 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Hey everyone, glad to be on board.

I'll be upkeeping this topic to let you all know where I am at and on what things I'm working. I'll also be talking with everyone to get an idea of what we need and what everyone else is working on.

Don't have anything to add to this just yet. I'll be updating this as more information becomes avalible (meaning I get off work Razz )

Glad to meet you Ectrimble, let me introduce myself, Im known pretty much everywhere as buggy or a extension of that, and im sort of a "unoffical" member of the team. While im trying to find something I could do to become a offical member of the team, for now I just keep a close eye on the MCF modding section for anything that could prove useful for development and alert them if I find anything.

Another interesting fact, I was actually the one who introduced Fr0stbyte to the team.

As for what we need, I need to know what position your in(coder, mixer, sprite artist, exc) to recommend things that we need.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm

He's a seasoned programmer and is starting out on items. Later on, he will be working on ship mechanics (how they are put together, customized, etc.).
Also Buggy stop being coy and join already. Razz
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Greetings Buggy,

As Frost stated, I'm a seasoned programmer, although my primary language is Perl/SQL, I do some backend Java stuff, so I have experience with Server-to-Server communication via Java, something that will become useful once we start doing System to System travel with space ships.

Again adding to Frost's statement, I'll be setting up my Alpha build again, lost my computer Sunday night, well, OS took a dive and of course my Eclipse/Java hadn't been backed up in a week, so all my stuff is useless, so I'm going to start out fresh and build a new set of code. Updated my log to reflect this.

As for position, I'll probably be working with Frost when the time comes for Space Ship mechanics implementation and for the time being, building us a bunch of cool items to use. I'm also capable of making sprites, though only working with the 16x16 and 8x8 slots for the time being, haven't messed with 32/64/128 etc, I'm sure we'll eventually release a custom texture pack for it, but thats for another day.

Anyway, glad to be part of the team.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:20 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
He's a seasoned programmer and is starting out on items. Later on, he will be working on ship mechanics (how they are put together, customized, etc.).
Also Buggy stop being coy and join already. Razz

I want to, but I can't find anything to do. Sound mixing requires 100-ish dollars worth of equipment for a studio. Programming im reluctant to try, it took me 3 hours to figure out how to move a player up(less then 10 lines of code) with the ingame physics language E2, and thats after I learned the basics of it. I could be a sprite artist, but I don't have experence with any image editing software and the only 3d program for editing Minecraft textures(http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/746941-mcskin3d-new-skinning-program/) doesn't support anything other then player skins yet. Im not exactly a great artist either, but im sure making 16x16 textures doesn't need too much skill.

ectrimble20 wrote:
Greetings Buggy,

As Frost stated, I'm a seasoned programmer, although my primary language is Perl/SQL, I do some backend Java stuff, so I have experience with Server-to-Server communication via Java, something that will become useful once we start doing System to System travel with space ships.

Again adding to Frost's statement, I'll be setting up my Alpha build again, lost my computer Sunday night, well, OS took a dive and of course my Eclipse/Java hadn't been backed up in a week, so all my stuff is useless, so I'm going to start out fresh and build a new set of code. Updated my log to reflect this.

As for position, I'll probably be working with Frost when the time comes for Space Ship mechanics implementation and for the time being, building us a bunch of cool items to use. I'm also capable of making sprites, though only working with the 16x16 and 8x8 slots for the time being, haven't messed with 32/64/128 etc, I'm sure we'll eventually release a custom texture pack for it, but thats for another day.

Anyway, glad to be part of the team.

Nice to have another programmer on the team, do you want me to try and pitch a few suggestions for blocks and items?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:

Nice to have another programmer on the team, do you want me to try and pitch a few suggestions for blocks and items?

Well, having now read through a majority of posts, I think we all need to hop on the same page with this stuff, I don't want to devote a ton of dev time to making blocks that arn't going to be used because one person or another isn't going to impliment it in their build.

Under idea circumstances, we'd be working off a subversion style project where you check out what you're working on and then other people know changes are happening and we have a centralized version we can work on and all be on the same page, BUT we aren't a multi-bazillion dollar (odd, bazillion doesn't throw my spell check, weird lol) development company either so we'll have to work something out.

I'll be posting a new thread in regards to that shortly as I have an idea.

Anyway Buggy, sit tight for the time being, I'll have some ideas for projects and what not heading out here shortly. Look for my new thread.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't see why not raking in dollars by the bazillions should prevent us from using subversion. We could throw it up on sourceforge or github for free, or set up our own subversion server somewhere. I think your primary resistance will be from developers not feeling like properly committing source. I know I was never a fan.

Last edited by fr0stbyte124 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Completely agree with you there Frost, and I know we could setup a Subversion server, but if its not going to be used, whats the point? I posted some secondary ideas in another thread about that.

But yeah I think the biggest issue we face right now is that nobody has anyone else's (or access to) code, so we're all technically working on little sub mod's that someone would somehow have to bring together.

And I can understand peoples reluctance to post their code, I don't like giving out stuff that I've spent a lot of time working on, but at the same time, one must decide whether they're coding for themselves, or for a bigger project, and in this case, I'm coding for the bigger project because the longer we dilly dally around worrying about who's going to steal my precious copper block, the longer its going to take us to make this project into a reality. And I wanna fly space ships around and blow peoples minecraft citys up, so, yeah, lets rock and roll. cheers
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 pm

##Update 11/09/2011##

Bolter is operational.

tried to upload the icon for it, failed miserably. Either way it still has a lot of work left to do on it, mostly trajectory stuff.

I decided to give it an explosion damage type, that way it'll be able to knock out soft walls and punch through armor. Just have to change the way it renders a bit and then make a particle animation for it that actually looks like a round.

I think the bolter will go to a point and click damage style in the long run and the small explosive weapon will move up to the next tier, but the foundations for a firing weapon with depleting ammo is now in place (i.e pull the trigger, round goes down range and 1 is pulled from inv, if no bullets in inv, no firing).

Going to work on a suit of armor in the next day or two, think an alloy/carbon fiber armor will be my first project, kinda a "safe in space" sort of deal, I'll use water as my 'space' for now just to get the mechanics down.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:46 am

ectrimble20 wrote:
##Update 11/09/2011##

Bolter is operational.

tried to upload the icon for it, failed miserably. Either way it still has a lot of work left to do on it, mostly trajectory stuff.

I decided to give it an explosion damage type, that way it'll be able to knock out soft walls and punch through armor. Just have to change the way it renders a bit and then make a particle animation for it that actually looks like a round.

I think the bolter will go to a point and click damage style in the long run and the small explosive weapon will move up to the next tier, but the foundations for a firing weapon with depleting ammo is now in place (i.e pull the trigger, round goes down range and 1 is pulled from inv, if no bullets in inv, no firing).

Going to work on a suit of armor in the next day or two, think an alloy/carbon fiber armor will be my first project, kinda a "safe in space" sort of deal, I'll use water as my 'space' for now just to get the mechanics down.

What about a powered suit, requires energy but has various abilities and grants varrying levels of protection according to the tier of it, with top tier suits pratically granting immortality but being as difficult and expensive to craft as a small freighter.

Oh, another idea based on the Bolter, what about a BFG? For those situations where you just go "%#*^ it, BLOW UP EVERYTHIIIING! MWAHAHAHAHAHA*cough* haha *cough* *wheeze* ow..."
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 am

Powered suit, hummm, might be more complicated than its worth but I'll see whats involved, and for the sake of game balance, I don't think I'll be doing any "God Mode" weapons or armor. Since the emphasis of the game is going to be ship to ship combat, ground combat will be a less important support role. As such, I'm thinking the combat suits for the ground units will be designed around what I envision the main ground combat of the game to be. Shock and awe assaults supported by air craft.

My ideas on the armor is to attempt to mold combat around a slower paced tactical engagement, not just charge up and pew-pew. This isn't going to be quake. Ammo, armor, and weapons will be resource intense but worth their price in the heat of battle. Smart players will learn rapidly that a frontal assaulting on a position isn't going to work out well for them.

Now my reasoning for this is simply because I don't think we'll be dealing with highly populated servers. 20-30 people on a server would be a reasonable average. So you're going to want to make each role effective. By this I mean if everyone who decides/is assigned/whatever their selection method is, to be a ground pounder is destined to die 30 times in a fight, where as someone in a capitol ship might die if everything goes wrong, and even then only if they can't abandon ship, then everyone is going to fly space ships and take out a whole aspect of the game. You have to make the people who want to play the Space Marine role, have a worth in the battle, not just as an expendable resource to annoy your enemy.

I also want to have ship boarding parties, thus, marines. As obviously (from an old avid BF2142 players point of view) epic battles in the corridors of a large space ship, fighting from room to room, trying to make your way to the enemies control center without getting waxed, is tons of fun.

So thats my thoughts on that, No BFG (well, maybe I'll hide an Easter egg for myself so I can nuke people on a test server and get some lols) or super armor, but I will make the Suits and the personal weapons effective.

OH, lol, almost forgot. Regarding you "FUDGE IT NUKE EM ALL", I'm thinking about working on a remotely detonated breaching device (remote dynamite really Razz ), think it'll make assaults more dynamic.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am

ectrimble20 wrote:
Powered suit, hummm, might be more complicated than its worth but I'll see whats involved, and for the sake of game balance, I don't think I'll be doing any "God Mode" weapons or armor. Since the emphasis of the game is going to be ship to ship combat, ground combat will be a less important support role. As such, I'm thinking the combat suits for the ground units will be designed around what I envision the main ground combat of the game to be. Shock and awe assaults supported by air craft.

My ideas on the armor is to attempt to mold combat around a slower paced tactical engagement, not just charge up and pew-pew. This isn't going to be quake. Ammo, armor, and weapons will be resource intense but worth their price in the heat of battle. Smart players will learn rapidly that a frontal assaulting on a position isn't going to work out well for them.

Now my reasoning for this is simply because I don't think we'll be dealing with highly populated servers. 20-30 people on a server would be a reasonable average. So you're going to want to make each role effective. By this I mean if everyone who decides/is assigned/whatever their selection method is, to be a ground pounder is destined to die 30 times in a fight, where as someone in a capitol ship might die if everything goes wrong, and even then only if they can't abandon ship, then everyone is going to fly space ships and take out a whole aspect of the game. You have to make the people who want to play the Space Marine role, have a worth in the battle, not just as an expendable resource to annoy your enemy.

I also want to have ship boarding parties, thus, marines. As obviously (from an old avid BF2142 players point of view) epic battles in the corridors of a large space ship, fighting from room to room, trying to make your way to the enemies control center without getting waxed, is tons of fun.

So thats my thoughts on that, No BFG (well, maybe I'll hide an Easter egg for myself so I can nuke people on a test server and get some lols) or super armor, but I will make the Suits and the personal weapons effective.

OH, lol, almost forgot. Regarding you "FUDGE IT NUKE EM ALL", I'm thinking about working on a remotely detonated breaching device (remote dynamite really Razz ), think it'll make assaults more dynamic.

As for the suit, look up IC2(IndustrialCraft 2) and look at the Nanosuit and Quantum suit. Both are insainely expensive, the latter being made out of matter that has to be generated directly from energy, but both grant practical immunity to all forms of damage and a few super powers(in the case of the Quantum suit) so long as you keep them charged.

I also agree that there should be a reason to actually have ground troops, and fighting through a ship IS fun, I got no ideas how to actually convince people to use marines though.

Oh and of the not wanting immortality suits: Maybe they could be reserved for high ranking officers, and be far too difficult to craft for soldiers to use them?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:

As for the suit, look up IC2(IndustrialCraft 2) and look at the Nanosuit and Quantum suit. Both are insainely expensive, the latter being made out of matter that has to be generated directly from energy, but both grant practical immunity to all forms of damage and a few super powers(in the case of the Quantum suit) so long as you keep them charged.

I also agree that there should be a reason to actually have ground troops, and fighting through a ship IS fun, I got no ideas how to actually convince people to use marines though.

Oh and of the not wanting immortality suits: Maybe they could be reserved for high ranking officers, and be far too difficult to craft for soldiers to use them?

Boy you're intent on getting a super suit arn't you? I think I will make one, and call it the BuggySuit Mk2 DeathDealer or something of that nature lol.

I've played IC2 and I've had the nano before and its all good in SP, but we'll be focusing on SMP, so OP stuff is out of the question. Now, with that said, I do think people should be hard to kill, not impossibly crazy omg that fight lasted 4 hours kind of hard, but more along the lines of a minute or two of fighting no insta kills if you're wearing armor (if you're running around naked, I can't guarantee anything hehe). I don't foresee massive land engagements being a focus of the mod, I see large ship to ship battles, followed up by a land assault with 10-20 armored assault marines with air/ground support vehicles against a fortified base with 10-20 defenders in a fairly evenly matched battle. To get people to use marines, I'd make it (or attempt to make it) where you can capture enemy ships by boarding and eliminating the crew, I'd also make this possible for land. Wipe out your opponents on a planet and its yours.

Again, I'm an optimist with this as I know that people will find one aspect of the game that can be exploited and then solely use that just like they do in every game. My goal is to simply make the option for man to man fighting viable in the face of giant world destroying ships Razz
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:58 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:

Boy you're intent on getting a super suit arn't you? I think I will make one, and call it the BuggySuit Mk2 DeathDealer or something of that nature lol.

I've played IC2 and I've had the nano before and its all good in SP, but we'll be focusing on SMP, so OP stuff is out of the question. Now, with that said, I do think people should be hard to kill, not impossibly crazy omg that fight lasted 4 hours kind of hard, but more along the lines of a minute or two of fighting no insta kills if you're wearing armor (if you're running around naked, I can't guarantee anything hehe). I don't foresee massive land engagements being a focus of the mod, I see large ship to ship battles, followed up by a land assault with 10-20 armored assault marines with air/ground support vehicles against a fortified base with 10-20 defenders in a fairly evenly matched battle. To get people to use marines, I'd make it (or attempt to make it) where you can capture enemy ships by boarding and eliminating the crew, I'd also make this possible for land. Wipe out your opponents on a planet and its yours.

Again, I'm an optimist with this as I know that people will find one aspect of the game that can be exploited and then solely use that just like they do in every game. My goal is to simply make the option for man to man fighting viable in the face of giant world destroying ships Razz

Sounds good, and I agree that op stuff is out of the question, but you gotta admit, a supersuit that lets you jump off of a ship thats practically in orbit into a pool of lava surrounded by a cactus farm while its raining creepers is AWESOME.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Shocked OMG..... I've got it....

A suit that lets you jump off a ship in orbit, hit max game speed, smash through an entire planet and come out on the other side. Then!!!! You pull out your Creeper Gun that shoots creepers that explode into LAVA, oh did I mention the suit itself is made out of cactus?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:

A suit that lets you jump off a ship in orbit, hit max game speed, smash through an entire planet and come out on the other side. Then!!!! You pull out your Creeper Gun that shoots creepers that explode into LAVA, oh did I mention the suit itself is made out of cactus?
Sounds reasonable. Go with that.
Back to top Go down
elmeerkat

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:22 pm

man, i was trying to drop myself out of a ship using cannonpowder mod by making it explode just before i hit the ground... needless to say, that doesn't reset your fall distance at all.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:

No no, thats silly, you should have a SUPER Creeper Gun, it shoots electrified creepers that explode into TNT.

Btw, completely off topic, do you think any of these tracks would be good for a trailer? http://www.richdouglas.net/projects/evochron.php
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 pm

The overture one is pretty tight. Main menu one made me feel like I was playing COD MW. The no warp one would be a good sound track to standing in line, but an epic line where I must plan my way around the old lady then battle the guido for alpha position in the line.

On topic, added some new stuff, so my log is going to be updated quite soon.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

You are making so much progress, I really want to test that bolter (Revenge on those darn creepers!)
PM me a list of the icons, textures, ect. you need for the items and i'll make them and send them back to you for implementation. This goes alongside my normal dev stuff. And a creeper gun? Take THAT Endermen!
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Now, before I say what I want to say, remember I am Shiva, arbiter of justice and destruction in these vaunted idea halls...

But I really really really REALLY want Mjolnir Mk VI (AKA, Halo's Master Chief) armor. Make that an easter egg only for me, please.

Anywho, great progress, ectrimble! I think that I'll go see about getting Frostbyte and Doc Mac to tell everyone on the mod team to post their code in A51.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Shiva wrote:
Now, before I say what I want to say, remember I am Shiva, arbiter of justice and destruction in these vaunted idea halls...

But I really really really REALLY want Mjolnir Mk VI (AKA, Halo's Master Chief) armor. Make that an easter egg only for me, please.

Anywho, great progress, ectrimble! I think that I'll go see about getting Frostbyte and Doc Mac to tell everyone on the mod team to post their code in A51.

humm Halo armor, that can happen Very Happy

As for the code, I'd really appreciate it, mostly because I'm trying to make my code as compatible with everyone else's as possible, so when we get ready to progress into an open alpha build, we dont have to waste a ton of time trying to make it all work together. I've spoken with frost a couple times about how we're going to do certain things, so my basic plan is to see how he's going to finalize his then work my code around that, so in summary, make my code FrostCompaible Razz

Anyway, gona go make an easter egg Very Happy

##Update on progress##

figured I'd through this in, i'll update first post again later tonight, but I've worked out a few kinks with the bolter, it now shoots a high velocity round that explodes on impact, still working out a "balanced" explosion strength as 1F is too small and 5F is blowing holes in everything but bedrock, so it'll take a bit to make it a balanced Creeper killer for now. I'm also having an issue with radius detection, seems that no matter how small I make the actual projectile, it explodes when its within 1-2 (hard to judge) blocks of something, so shooting in a small hallway can be quite precarious.

Also, I've added and custom skinned Light Alloy armor, its WAY OP, I ran into a creeper intentionally and was not harmed, so have to balance it out as well. I only want the heavy alloy armor (which will be quite costly to produce) to be slightly OP, light alloy should be a diamond equivilant, again, a lot of balancing to do and a a lot of other little stuff. My 0.0.1 Alpha is almost finished.
Back to top Go down
elmeerkat

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 5:40 pm

maybe make the bolter not destroy block, only do damage (kinda like tnt in water) so that you could make it less dangerous. or make it take out the block that it lands on and do damage but no radius of block destruction.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm

elmeerkat wrote:
maybe make the bolter not destroy block, only do damage (kinda like tnt in water) so that you could make it less dangerous. or make it take out the block that it lands on and do damage but no radius of block destruction.

Thats actually exactly what I did. I've turned the bolter into a direct attack projectile, meaning you hit it, it does damage, well to entities, I decided against it damaging blocks mostly because you'd be able to seige a castle with a pistol at that point. Same will be true for the medium sized gun, it'll just do higher damage. The heavy gun will employ the AoE explosion, but it's projectiles will be expensive and wont be practical for a spam attack.

Also the armor tiers are going to be reflective of the 3 weapon damage tiers. So T1 (carbon fiber) will be effective against the Bolter, T2 the medium gun, and T3 will be resistance to explosive. Figuring out the damage types wont be too bad, just have to dig through the damage source class to figure out what damage is what then implement a damage resistance of sorts, but we'll see how that goes.

Updated my first post last night with more details on whats been done.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 am

ectrimble20 wrote:

To use some colloquial terms:

OTT much?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ectrimble dev log Empty
PostSubject: Re: ectrimble dev log   ectrimble dev log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ectrimble dev log
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next