Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Why are all the good mods not updated

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Why are all the good mods not updated Empty
PostSubject: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 pm

So I was looking around for MC mods to put in some starmade style slopes for shipbuilding. Well I found an amazing mod but the problem is the modder gave up on it and its a few versions behind.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/151725-123-kaevator-mods-slopes-wooden-frames-wallpapers/
(Same as above but 1.3.2 version)
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1334173-132131-superslopes-wallpaper-frames/
So if any of you happen to be say secret modders, Now would be the time to come out. Cool 

I looked around and found this, But it seems like too much work compared to the above mod.
1.6+
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1790919-1516forge-carpenters-blocks-v191-slopes-stairs-and-more/
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm

It is because programmers, especially experienced ones, tend to be busy people, and maintaining code between updates is very unpleasant. You have to reimplement everything you've already done and part of it isn't going to work anymore due to changes made by Mojang, none of which are documented. If you are lucky it will be in a mature section of code where the mcp community has fleshed out what everything is. Otherwise you have to do it from scratch, and all the while your userbase is pressuring you over how quickly you work because their save is now dependent on your mod.

That burnt out a lot of promising modders. It's better now with the snapshots and rollback, but deobsfucation is still a chore.

That said, Keavator has always been notoriously slow to update.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:11 pm

I still miss TTM's modern stuff... But what Fr0st said, not that I would know.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 am

Also most cool mods are also pretty big so it makes for a lot of work to update them.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 3:41 am

If mojang would stop beating around the bush and open up their source it would be so much easier. Modders would know what everything was, and we could keep perfect track of every change submitted without any surprises. I doubt they ever will, for poorly justified legal reasons, but it would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
poorly justified legal reasons
The same stuff that makes it illegal to distribute minecraft.jar? Or something else.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Yeah.  They way I understand it, they have to make some semblance of protecting the IP in order for their copyright to be respected.  I think the agreement is that the modding community can reverse engineer the jar to their hearts content so long as the original jar remains obsfucated, and no one distributes unmodified class files.  I really don't know why those are the rules, but it is annoying.

Perfect world, they would have a source repository you log into with your minecraft account. Since it wouldn't be freely available, I feel like that should count.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Perfect world, they would have a source repository you log into with your minecraft account.
I would support this.
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 10:24 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Perfect world, they would have a source repository you log into with your minecraft account.
I would support this.
I would also support this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are all the good mods not updated   Why are all the good mods not updated Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are all the good mods not updated
Page 1 of 1