Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Java Programmer

Go down 
+6
fr0stbyte124
hyperlite
Iv121
Hierarch Fenway
The Schmetterling
Evinid Eden
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Evinid Eden

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello FutureCraft,
I was sent here from a friend (hyperlite) on our minecraft server. The whole idea sounds pretty awesome and I'd like to help out.

- I have my BS in IT with a focus on Software Engineering
- I have been programming full-time in java for 1-2 years.
- I don't have any minecraft modding experience but I would like to learn.

I am currently employed full time doing java programming for a software group. I don't have that much extra time but I'm always looking to expand my knowledge.

If anything here sounds appealing, let me know.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Cool. You sound a lot like Fr0stbyte. Good experience, not much time.

I hope you can help us, I look forward to working with you in the future.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Hello! It's always good to see proffessional modders, since we have a distinct lack of them. Except for one. We had another one, but he disappeared under mysterious circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Evinid Eden

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:01 am

I wouldn't say I am a professional modder since I haven't written any mods. I feel like I can almost call myself a professional developer, but I am not quite there. The more I am in the code the better I will be. I've only been in one code base so far so it will be a nice change of pace to work on a different project. I can probably bring a lot of process to the table too.

Thank you for all the positive feedback =D
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 am

Too bad you won't be able to present mods as programming experience . Heard the main problem for beginning programmers is lack of experience, or at least something they can show on their work review ...
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Okay, he is introduced. What does he need to do?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 pm

No idea. But then that's always been the problem.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 pm

So as I said, we need a list of things that NEED to get done, so they can be assigned accordingly. You could probably even use github to hand off some of the Copernicus work if you wanted.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

You gave casaid a whole bunch of stuff, should he look over there to see?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

If he'd like. I've got too much on my plate right now to be supervising anyone else right now. Evinid, if you would like to participate, that is fine with me, but you'll be left to your own devices for the most part, at least during the first stage of development. Most people have trouble with that and don't know where to start.

The post hyperlite is talking about is [url="https://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t346-programmer#7011"]this[/url], and it's still mostly relevant info. Right now I would be more interested in hearing your ideas than assigning you something to do.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:47 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
If he'd like. I've got too much on my plate right now to be supervising anyone else right now. Evinid, if you would like to participate, that is fine with me, but you'll be left to your own devices for the most part, at least during the first stage of development. Most people have trouble with that and don't know where to start.

The post hyperlite is talking about is [url="https://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t346-programmer#7011"]this[/url], and it's still mostly relevant info. Right now I would be more interested in hearing your ideas than assigning you something to do.
We need teh laz0r gunz!
Back to top Go down
Evinid Eden

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Getting organized   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 pm

I think the first step that needs to be done is using a revision control system like Subverison to get all of the code and any changes into a single spot. We could use something like Ant to build the project for us. Instead of going through the install process every time we need to test something or release a build. The next thing that we should use is a bug/idea tracking system like Redmine. This will get everything onto the same page and allow us to build reports on what people are working on and what still needs to be done along with all the issues found. This will make it easy to post progress on these forums.

Let me know what you think of these. Sorry there are no links to the sites, I am not allowed to post them yet...
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm

We've actually been needing a good subversioning system for some time now. I can't count the number of times I've almost knocked out a weeks worth of work by accident.

Ant won't be necessary, though. The fine people behind the Minecraft Coders Pack provide utilities which automates compiling, reobsfucation, packaging, and even testing modded builds. Unless we start doing a bunch of exotic stuff like building native binaries, I doubt we would ever need anything that's not already provided. Or are you referring to something else?

A ticketing system might prove useful once things are open to testers, assuming people actually use it. We also have a google doc...somewhere...which we used for a short while to discuss ideas. It's fallen out of use though, mostly because things aren't terribly busy around here (mostly my fault, I'll admit).

But sure, if you would like to try setting some of that up, I'll start twisting arms to get people's work committed.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Finally: someone who speaks English!
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Well, it looks like we have some one else who know's what frost is saying. I really hope you can help.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Evinid, if you would go through Ectrimble's Dev Log and look at what he was doing with inter-server travel and making Minecraft servers communicate, and see about recreating it, that would be the absolute best thing you could possibly do.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Shiva wrote:
Evinid, if you would go through Ectrimble's Dev Log and look at what he was doing with inter-server travel and making Minecraft servers communicate, and see about recreating it, that would be the absolute best thing you could possibly do.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Java Programmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Java Programmer   Java Programmer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Java Programmer
Page 1 of 1