Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.

Go down 
+12
Avenger_7
Commander Kobialka
Danice123
hyperlite
Iv121
The Schmetterling
Hierarch Fenway
Laserbilly
Keon
Pat Best
Last_Jedi_Standing
Tiel+
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Empty
PostSubject: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:35 pm

ACT II

Heeeeeey. I hope a certain mod won't interpret this as a necro, but, guess what?

This July I bought a new PC! I was so happy with my Dell M5040...I played Minecraft on it, I pissed off Shiva on it, I acted like an asshat on it, I played Crysis on it. Oh, what joy this laptop has brought me! Until today...this fateful day when I played Team Fortress 2 for an hour with Last_Jedi_Standing...

Guess what? The hard drive is toast AGAIN! ON MY THREE MONTH OLD PC. I AM SO COOL WITH THAT, YOU KNOW?

But, unlike the case of my old Acer Aspire 7745, Dell is all too happy to provide me a hard drive pre-installed with Windows for me to install into the computer, so long as I send them the old unit so they can confirm it actually isn't working.

Let it never be said Dell doesn't have quality tech support.

Another thing warranting note is that the hdd is largely intact...this is good, means I can actually recover some stuff Very Happy

And by 'stuff', I don't mean the 90gb password protected folder embedded deep within my filesystem with legally questionable content...at all.
ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Awesome_Smiley___Spy_Red_TF2_by_Sitic_large

ACT I

Well, not quite. It seems my almost 2 year old HDD gave a groan and died, so I can't boot my laptop. Essentially:

1. Was Playing ME2 when I finished a level and waited an hour for the next to load.
  2. It didn't.
  3. Alt+Tabbed out and the entire OS froze up..explorer.exe crashed and wasn't coming back.
  4. Turned off computer..
  5. Reboot reveals 'Unbootable Volume Error!11!'
  6. Startup Repair is broken. No online fixes help
  7. Booting up works after said fixes, but have waited a night and no Windows desktop pops up after login (loading Windows takes exorbantly long, by the way..over half an hour.
  8. At this point my Linux partition fails as well; presumably the HDD caught up with it too.

So, right now my laptop is deaded. It appears hard drive corruption is the culprit, and I have no backups. My only option is to reformat to factory defaults and hope for the best, but lose all my data. Most importantly, my legit games, which mother dear decided to trash the physical copies of in accordance to her religion. I've heard you can backup with a Ubuntu live disc which I have on hand, what I lack is an external hard drive to put the stuff in.

Well, that's a lie. I do, this netbook here has 50 gigs of free space. The problem lay in just how do I get the files from the doomed Laptop to this Aspire One? Will a USB-to-USB cable work? Should I buy a high capacity flash drive?

Please help pale

Last edited by Tiel on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey, you're not dead! That's good.

I have no idea how to fix your computer. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Get a Progenitor mothership to level 6 then use Ressurection to bring the files from the deceased computer into the working one!
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Real programmers use robotic tactical micro-butterflies to fly in the infected hard drive and save all the data they can to a flash drive.
Mod edit: Fixed Grammer for you.
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Wow, the little I understood of what you wrote sucks. Sorry for your troubles.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 am

Wait, what religion does your mother follow? Because you should NEVER destroy data... Hide them if you have to.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 am

Use a Mac next time.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:18 am

Yea it will ban ME !
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 am

Fenway wrote:
Wait, what religion does your mother follow? Because you should NEVER destroy data... Hide them if you have to.

The CDs were hidden, but the top one was a copy of GTA IV which somehow justified throwing away the entire stack of game cases.

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Use a Mac next time.

If I had a Mac this problem would still happen, only I'd have to fork out 200$ for some Apple evangelist to carry out what I already know what to do.

Well, Wal*Mart, here I come. You'd best have a 45 gb flash drive available.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Picked up a 16 gig. So far, so good. Well, other than the LiveCD spitting out random errors whenever I try to copy over big files, such as ME2. I do have a txt file with all my cd keys though, so will just redownload from TPB.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Redownload...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

I'll 'pirate' copies of my legit games to my computer post-reformat. Seeing as I'll have a nice list of valid cd keys it should be perfectly legal.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Though where the greedy companies are involved, anything that should be perfectly legal usually isn't...
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes, most people who pirate did not have this happen to them, I said that because I knew what you were doing, you just sugar-coated the truth a bit.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Depends. When my steam version of Skyrim Creation Kit failed to install correctly I downloaded a pirated version and installed it - didn't work , complained about missing files. I had to install and put one on another 3 versions of that CK in order to force it to work. The funny fact is that Steam recognizes it as "Original" Razz . Some functions still crash the CK though but at lest it works !
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 pm

hyperlite wrote:
Yes, most people who pirate did not have this happen to them, I said that because I knew what you were doing, you just sugar-coated the truth a bit.

I pirate games, I buy the ones I like. Are you saying I should just go out and spend even more money on games I have sitting right on my hard drive?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Legion wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

I pirate games, I buy the ones I like. Are you saying I should just go out and spend even more money on games I have sitting right on my hard drive?
Yes...
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:14 pm

SOPA says so.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Legion wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

Yes...

It is all as I have forseen.

Essentially, look here. I spent my money on their product, but they don't care enough to offer any sort of replacement service. Bear in mind 'they' is typically a multinational billion dollar company that rakes in millions every month. The only option would be to buy this yet again, even though I've already bought the game(s) which is something of a rarity seeing as all the recent ones are crap.

No, I'm not contributing the 1/10000000th part of EA's CEO's new private jet. If I have a game I should be able to access it at any time, especially since HDDs are so fragile. Not every game is on Steam (But quite a few are, thank god I've a collection on there) and company alternatives such as Origin are utter bantha poodoo, designed to prevent piracy but at the same time righteously encouraging it.

I rest my case.

Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Legion wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Legion wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

Yes...

It is all as I have forseen.

Essentially, look here. I spent my money on their product, but they don't care enough to offer any sort of replacement service. Bear in mind 'they' is typically a multinational billion dollar company that rakes in millions every month. The only option would be to buy this yet again, even though I've already bought the game(s) which is something of a rarity seeing as all the recent ones are crap.

No, I'm not contributing the 1/10000000th part of EA's CEO's new private jet. If I have a game I should be able to access it at any time, especially since HDDs are so fragile. Not every game is on Steam (But quite a few are, thank god I've a collection on there) and company alternatives such as Origin are utter bantha poodoo, designed to prevent piracy but at the same time righteously encouraging it.

I rest my case.

Everything you say is true, but all the arguments in the world won't change the fact that what you do is illegal and immoral.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Illegal? Probably. Immoral? By a fool's standards, likely. I won't go back and forth with you, but I abide by my own set of principles. Principles that dictate I should be able to try out a product to the fullest instead of using a neutered demo, principles that say games I bought shouldn't have to be repurchased.

If anything it's the companies whom are 'immoral', were it not that such behavior is so commonplace in this world that it conforms to a set standard of morality.

Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 am

What it sounds like you are saying is that it is illegitimate to install the same copy of a game on multiple computers.

Did I miss something?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 am

On my laptop I had games I bought, but had no physical copies of. As you probably know most games won't work without having entries in the registry which can only be made through installations or by advanced users. So backing up the digital copies of them failed, so now since I've managed to fix the CPU I'm redownloading my library of legit games, which is more or less on the bad end of the gray area.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 am

When a company fks you you fk it Razz .That's why most of my EA products are pirated ... And amazingly EA's budget is not as big as we believed as the crapish F2P leader company AKA Nexon that focuses on stealing money from poor addicted kids wants to buy EA ... I used to play their game Combat Arms but then I took an ar..errr understood that the game became pure crap and quitted. They kinda forced you to pay huge amounts of money to get anything from the game ... Better spend this money on a real game ... It's like buying 3 MEs a month just 3 times less fun as the community became a bunch of whining addicted kids (Most decent people couldn't stand that game and quitted)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 am

Have you seen EA's F2P division? Not as bad as Nexon but pretty low in terms of standards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.   ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ME2 accidentally my computer, TF2 joined in on the fun on the new one.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: