Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Coding compatibility

Go down 
+4
hiloser12221
The Schmetterling
fr0stbyte124
ectrimble20
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

Coding compatibility Empty
PostSubject: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Quick question which might encourage some discussion, but what plugins/api's etc are we going to program this to be compatible with?

As of right now, I'm coding using ModLoader, but might be shifting it to use Forge as well as I can foresee running out of object/block sprites at the rate I'm creating new items. I'm just curious as to what everyone else has been programming in conjunction with.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 6:05 pm

This mod is going to break the hell out of nearly everything, I think. Forge would be good to have, but it's going to be an event just patching the two together. I'd like to avoid it until we have a definite need to do so.

You can use it, if you like, but do so in such a way that it can be disabled if need be.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 pm

ok, sounds good.

I sort of had a feeling that we were going to have to do "our own" thing. As I'm sure the ship engine alone isn't going to be compatible. Just wanted to check with you in particular since you're working on the rendering engine and thats going to be the driving force behind the mod.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Mods/stuff that we ARE using:

-Mod Loader
-Cubic Chunks Mod
-Copernicus
- Gravity Mod

Mods/stuff that we MAY be using:

- MC Forge (I believe at least someone read my ideas on adding in new classes for custom blocks and items, rather than use actual blocks/items)
- IC2
- Jamioflan's mods (we did ask before, and he denied us permission)
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Super necro, but forge isn't hard to switch over too. I was making a mod, ran out of sprite textures and then it was super easy with forge to add more textures.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 am

hiloser12221 wrote:
Super necro, but forge isn't hard to switch over too. I was making a mod, ran out of sprite textures and then it was super easy with forge to add more textures.

Your mod doesn't rewrite half of Minecraft's coding though...
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Yes, this is true, but what I am getting at is say you want to use more textures, when you make your new Item class, you implement forge etc etc, I mean unless forge modified base MC classes, you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Forge does modify base files and would be a problem to implement. However I'm thinking now it might be worth doing after all.
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

If it doesn't modify the base class files you need to/plan on using then I think you should go for it. You seem to want to have a lot of new items and blocks, and trust me, you run out really, really fast with sprite indexes.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
hiloser12221 wrote:

Your mod doesn't rewrite half of Minecraft's coding though...

Along with adding ten times more stuff onto what's left of the original coding, might I add?

Oh god, I've ventured into a coding thread. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Pat22 will be absent from the assembly... permanatly.
Good job to anybody who got that.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 am

Hiloser is giving me coding advice. I am not sure how I am supposed to react to that.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 am

hiloser12221 wrote:
If it doesn't modify the base class files you need to/plan on using then I think you should go for it. You seem to want to have a lot of new items and blocks, and trust me, you run out really, really fast with sprite indexes.
Check out modloader's way of solving that. And they are using modloader.

Frost, your response should be a big hammer to his nose. BAN ALL WHO OPPOSE THE EMPEROR. Wait, that's ectrimble. BAN ALL WHO OPPOSE THE AYE-AYE.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:43 pm

In my case, it is BAN ALL THOSE WHO OPPOSE THEIR GOD!
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:19 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Hiloser is giving me coding advice. I am not sure how I am supposed to react to that.
So because you can re-write minecraft (which I am in no way saying I am capable of doing) that means I can't offer advice based off of past experiences? I have modded minecraft before, sure it isn't anything as large and ambitious as this, but I am not a total idiot with coding.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm

hiloser12221 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
So because you can re-write minecraft (which I am in no way saying I am capable of doing) that means I can't offer advice based off of past experiences? I have modded minecraft before, sure it isn't anything as large and ambitious as this, but I am not a total idiot with coding.

Yes. Thank you for understanding. :)

But in all seriousness, this has been discussed before both privately and on this very board. Right now I think we have three separate contingency plans for what to do when we run out of block ID and texture slots, one of which is Forge. Also I had already said that Forge modifies base files and would be problematic to implement, which you somehow completely missed, so yes, I'm having a bit of difficulty taking this conversation seriously.
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I am well aware that it modifies base classes, what I seemed to have missed was if it modified a majority (or important) class files that you have already modified.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I am.

You should totally make this mob that grows and learns and can speak to you and its humanlike and learns and is sentient. It would be so easy! I know because Yogscast did it!

That was a true conversation I had with somebody, but I was on the receiving end.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 am

hiloser12221 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Your in all likelyhood telling him what he already knows. Heres what you probably sound like to him:

Hey, do you know what a 5 is? You know numbers better than me, but im sure my experience will be helpful! Maybe later I can tell you what a 6 is too!
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
hiloser12221 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Your in all likelyhood telling him what he already knows. Heres what you probably sound like to him:

Hey, do you know what a 5 is? You know numbers better than me, but im sure my experience will be helpful! Maybe later I can tell you what a 6 is too!

Man with all these burns we are going to need some aloe vera but in all seriousness maybe you "hiloser" should only give advice on things that you have a large knowledge of in order to prevent things like this.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 am

I will apologize, though. I didn't mean to be so rude about it, but I've been programming for about ten years now and this project is taking every ounce of skill and experience I've acquired. So when someone comes along offering advice after looking at the problem for ten minutes, it comes off as kind of patronizing.

Even so, I recognize you were just trying to help and I shouldn't have gotten so mad.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:26 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I will apologize, though. I didn't mean to be so rude about it, but I've been programming for about ten years now and this project is taking every ounce of skill and experience I've acquired. So when someone comes along offering advice after looking at the problem for ten minutes, it comes off as kind of patronizing.

Even so, I recognize you were just trying to help and I shouldn't have gotten mad.
Well now you have broken the list of my name, but on topic will this mod just collapse all plugins mods and anything that changes something?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:31 am

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. It should work pretty well with other mods which don't modify base files. But even among those there will probably still be issues with the world not working the way the mod thinks it should.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:34 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. It should work pretty well with other mods which don't modify base files. But even among those there will probably still be issues with the world not working the way the mod thinks it should.
To be honest I am unsure what I asked, but I think I have my answer. I miss worded myself on this one, tends to happen with me when I have less sleep but sorry.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 pm

However, then you can't play futurecraft in the sever-worlds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coding compatibility   Coding compatibility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coding compatibility
Page 1 of 1