Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

How much RAM?

Go down 
+4
hiloser12221
Pat Best
Keon
Tiel+
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 am

Alright, so I'm looking at a server @ beastnode.com for 10 bucks a month; 512 mb of RAM. What I'm curious about is whether I need more, or if I can go lower and rent webhosting as well from the same site. Of course, more is always better, but I remember loading up a server with 2 gigs last year and there was no noticeable increase. So, what do you think would be the minimum RAM requirement?

Mind you, this will be a one or two planet server, and I don't plan to wage massive warfare on it.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

I think Java by default only takes a tiny amount or ram. Turning that up should make a better server. How much I am not sure.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't know how much it takes, but I know it does not take much.

When I got my server assembled I asked for the weakest of everything in it and it runs fine.

It also backs up as a 500GB external drive cause that's the smallest they had, and we only needed like... 12GB?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Nice Smile

The only reason I'm buying is because my internet has like 230 kb/s upload speed lol!

And plus, beastnode has SSDs and some nice Intel Xenons. Anyhow, right now it's between

384mb RAM (10 players) and a website

or

512mb (15 players)

As much as I'd like to have a website as soon as Futurecraft takes on and an associated forum, wouldn't it be best to just run 10 players on the 512 mb plan, just in case the RAM requirements of FC are larger than anticipated?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Another thing - I like to build stuff at school. Problem being, school has this firewall preventing me from accessing MC.net. There's a Bukkit plugin for organizing offline players into nicknames and such, but I'm a tad bit concerned that someone could just get on and screw it all up, given that protections wouldn't be able to discriminate between me and another user. Does anyone have experience with the aforementioned plugin?
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm

You can't even log on? I can log into the minecraft client, but can't connect to ANY servers...
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Tiel wrote:
Another thing - I like to build stuff at school. Problem being, school has this firewall preventing me from accessing MC.net. There's a Bukkit plugin for organizing offline players into nicknames and such, but I'm a tad bit concerned that someone could just get on and screw it all up, given that protections wouldn't be able to discriminate between me and another user. Does anyone have experience with the aforementioned plugin?

By offline you mean using the generic 'player' account on the server? And if your server is not in offline mode, you can't connect to a server without accessing MC.net right?
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm

necro-ish!

if you run the server from a .bat (written in notepad, it gives a tutorial on the wiki I think) you can specify more ram than normal

I've done it, its not too hard
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Can someone give me the flippin' IP?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 pm

ZeoNet wrote:
Necro

Okay, in some other thread, I said: "One more UNNECESSARY necro, and you get a ban".

So guess what? This is another unnecessary necro-post. So guess what? You. Get. A. Ban.

Evidently, someone else deleted his post....
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Me. Did he get banned? Because I vote to give him 1 more chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How much RAM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much RAM?   How much RAM? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much RAM?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Server Stuff-
Jump to: