Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Currency System

Go down 
+12
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Tiel+
Leonidas8227882
The Schmetterling
Soul of Jack
Grand Imperial Thunder
ACH0225
tonyri
Laibach
hell2o
Danice123
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm

I have an idea for a in-game currency system. Basically you allow for different servers/players to be able to create different currencies as they please (coining machine or something), allowing for an unlimited amount of different currencies. Then it is up to the servers/groups/players to back the currency up with something that is worth something (gold for example) If this doesn't happen, then the currency isn't worth anything. And the system won't be pushy, a player could ignore it and do direct trading, but having a currency would be a convenient alternative to carrying around stacks of gold. This would create a demand for currency exchanges, and even a sort of market based on trading currencies.
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
hell2o

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 pm

I agree that some form of currency is going to be needed but if every system has its own currency then nobody will know what each currency is worth relative to other currency's. i think that a few currency's would be an interesting idea but not one for every system maybe one for every quadrant or every highly populated region of space.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 3:53 pm

well, in an old (back when it was SF) sci-fi book written by james blish germanium became the currency because of its usefulness in all sorts of impossible gravity drives and such, I would prefer something like that if I was running a server, I've never liked the idea of paper money etc.

It would be really cool if it let you customize the icon for the currency thus making it local, unless it was a really rich server and was somehow integrated into the mod, although too many of those would be a pain
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 pm

hell2o wrote:
I agree that some form of currency is going to be needed but if every system has its own currency then nobody will know what each currency is worth relative to other currency's. i think that a few currency's would be an interesting idea but not one for every system maybe one for every quadrant or every highly populated region of space.

The point of this is for PLAYERS and PLAYER ORGANIZATIONS to make currencies, not to have one hard coded into the system. Its supposed to be optional to actual trade, just like in real life. In real life, you could walk around a buy stuff with gold or silver, but it would be inconvenient, so you use currency. Thats what I'm trying to emulate here. And every server/organization would need to declare how much their currency would be worth, and if they lie... Trade blockade or something?

CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
It would be really cool if it let you customize the icon for the currency thus making it local, unless it was a really rich server and was somehow integrated into the mod, although too many of those would be a pain

The idea would be to have an easy way to customize the icon, maybe a color shifter or something.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm

I think that each team could name their own currency, but every currency can be exchanged at fixed rates. This means that if you want 500 of your currency to equal one gold bar, that is all that you will get with it, but if you set your currency at 30 per bar, then your currency will be worth more. No printing money and inflation nonsense.
Back to top Go down
hell2o

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Danice123 wrote:
hell2o wrote:

The point of this is for PLAYERS and PLAYER ORGANIZATIONS to make currencies, not to have one hard coded into the system. Its supposed to be optional to actual trade, just like in real life. In real life, you could walk around a buy stuff with gold or silver, but it would be inconvenient, so you use currency. Thats what I'm trying to emulate here. And every server/organization would need to declare how much their currency would be worth, and if they lie... Trade blockade or something?

That's not what i meant what i meant is if everyone can create currency then everyone will create one and nobody will know what anyone else's currency is worth and so everyone will either end up using one of a few popular currencys (probably one('s) made by the devs or the admin of one of the first servers) or just using direct trading

edit: maybe for icon editing you could use the map system but with the background map texture replaced by a coin(or a credit card) and add an editor
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Maybe when you mouse over the currency, it tells you how many gold ingots it is backed up by.

For example, if I were to make a coin, and call it the Yggdrasil(the name of the world tree in Norse mythology), and I were to put 10 ingots in the coin machine, I could then select to make however many coins I want. Say I make 20 coins, when I mouse over the coins, it says, "Worth 0.5 gold ingots". You could then make a limit on how low the currency could go, say, .10 gold ingots, and when it reaches that limit, more gold needs to be added to a coin press. Sound OK?
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 pm

How about this:
When you wish to create a new currency or print money you log into some sort of device(high recipe cost) which will pull up an interface listing things like: current types of money and how many ingots it takes to print that money, create new money, and how much current bills are worth.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Quote :
I think that each team could name their own currency, but every currency can be exchanged at fixed rates. This means that if you want 500 of your currency to equal one gold bar, that is all that you will get with it, but if you set your currency at 30 per bar, then your currency will be worth more. No printing money and inflation nonsense.

But the point is to have every currency equal to a REDEEMABLE gold standard. Basically you can't print more money than you have gold. So if you want to have your currency worth 500 per gold, just print 500 units per gold bar you have. Thus you can't just print money and make an income.

Quote :
That's not what i meant what i meant is if everyone can create currency then everyone will create one and nobody will know what anyone else's currency is worth and so everyone will either end up using one of a few popular currencys (probably one('s) made by the devs or the admin of one of the first servers) or just using direct trading

Only people who have a lot of wealth will be able to afford to start a currency (probably big traders and such) and since they will be doing the vast amount of trading they are the ones who would benefit from it. what currency you use will depend on who you trade with.
Back to top Go down
hell2o

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 pm

so your suggesting custom gold blocks and custom gold nuggets? (aka custom storage items)

also are we really going to be using gold as a currency in THE FUTURE
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

hell2o wrote:
so your suggesting custom gold blocks and custom gold nuggets? (aka custom storage items)

also are we really going to be using gold as a currency in THE FUTURE

well, we would still be using gold IRL if there was more of it, but there just isn't enough anymore

so yes, yes we are

well I hope anyway

Last edited by CoalMiningAlchemist on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hell2o

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

there's still pretty much the same amount of gold on earth (i mean we left some on the moon and sent some out of the solar system but not that much in the over-all scale of things)

anyway since its THE FUTURE cant we have a rarer material like platinum
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 pm

hell2o wrote:
there's still pretty much the same amount of gold on earth (i mean we left some on the moon and sent some out of the solar system but not that much in the over-all scale of things)

whoops I wrote that wrong, I meant there are too many people so if we did go back to the gold standard you would be dealing in ridiculously impractically tiny amounts
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

hell2o wrote:

whoops I wrote that wrong, I meant there are too many people so if we did go back to the gold standard you would be dealing in ridiculously impractically tiny amounts

You know why you would be dealing with tiny amounts? Because we left the gold standard.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Danice123 wrote:
hell2o wrote:

You know why you would be dealing with tiny amounts? Because we left the gold standard.

yes, but disregarding inflation there still isn't enbough gold for people to have much more than a few hundred dollars (I think, im not sure)

then again that would make pennies useful

EDIT: I just noticed I'm infantry Very Happy

I cede to your argument or whatever you say

Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Well whatever lol. But since this is minecraft, gold or other valuables are unlimited so thats not really a problem.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Danice123 wrote:
Well whatever lol. But since this is minecraft, gold or other valuables are unlimited so thats not really a problem.
Well how about something in the mod Question
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:19 am

Well, prepare for my wall of text about economics.

Let's start off with one currency. This currency is represented by a circle, and therefore the currency is reused over and over. Now, as time goes on, the government of the currency will add more to the circle to replenish money that has been lost or destroyed, and to cover new populations adequately. Thus the circle expands, and after a long enough time, the currency ends up where a lot is a little, but prices are comparative. Eventually, people need a basket to carry money to buy groceries. Now, if the government didn't produce money for lost or destroyed currency or to cover new populations, the currency would steadily disappear, resulting in low prices, but non comparative amounts of currency. Now, from the start, add another circle. Add a line between the circles. This represents an economy with two currencies. If one goes up, it flows through the line and adds to the other.(This section may be a bit confusing) If one goes down, so does the other. Another relationship the two circles could have would be like a set of scales. When one gets more weight(bigger) it causes(or is caused by) the other getting lighter(smaller). When both circles are expanding at the same rate, they stay the same in size, and, now including variables like individuals, may suddenly fluctuate, if, say, someone were to exchange 500 currency A for 400 currency B. Now, back to the start, but this time, make not one other circle, but two. Now put them in a triangle and draw line from each of them connecting them all together. Now if one expands, the others are affected, but not as much with just two circles. If two expand at rates that are not equal, they will equalize and bring the third at half the rate of expansion. When one loses money, the others might get bigger(Jumping off a sinking boat scenario) or the others could decrease slightly, but if two decrease, the third could either wildly expand or contract moderately quickly. I have more economic stuff, but my talons are starting to get sore from hitting my key board so much.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 am

Have you every heard of something called a PARAGRAPH!

Besides that, fine. Completely ridiculous and inaccurate, but fine.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 am

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Have you every heard of something called a PARAGRAPH!

Besides that, fine. Completely ridiculous and inaccurate, but fine.

Paragraphs are for those who dislike walls of text. Also, how can you disprove this? Have you simulated this in the environment you are creating? I think not
Back to top Go down
Leonidas8227882

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I think a currency would be nice. However, just to make it a little more interesting, lets say gold nuggets are like coins while the full bar is a dollar. That way, you can do some more precise trading.

"Putting coins in the economy will make it too hard to sell/buy things and complicated."

Then how in the world did you manage to build a spaceship?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 pm

It should be handled with Credit chits and such. No actual coins, that would diminish the 'Future' part of this mod's name.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Tiel wrote:
It should be handled with Credit chits and such. No actual coins, that would diminish the 'Future' part of this mod's name.
Yes. I'm in favor of the Imperial Credit, which isn't really a physical thing. They're carried on credit sticks, which are sorta like flash drives.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Lets think about it - today's currency is stored virtually , no even need in a stick just the right authorisation code ... I belive all you need to have is numbers in the corner of your inventory screen and shop menu (If you plan to add shops)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Yes. I'm in favor of the Imperial Credit, which isn't really a physical thing. They're carried on credit sticks, which are sorta like flash drives.

Yeah. A digital currency is best. The problem is how do we represent the worth of a particular person's creds? irl it's based on gold, diamonds...physical manifestations of wealth. But I doubt too many people would appreciate that kind of system ingame; in fact FC might get some flak over it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Currency System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Currency System
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next