Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Some successors to Zeppelin

Go down 
+5
Ivan2006
ACH0225
MrTargareyan
fr0stbyte124
Tiel+
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Some successors to Zeppelin Empty
PostSubject: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 am

Metaworld has the most potential in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:56 pm

I dunno, I feel like Metaworld lacks direction. It seems like it's just 'hey, look at this cool thing I've managed to pull off' and as such probably won't attract the kind of audience it'd need to encourage the author to consistently update it.

The current version is more or less broken, as well, which is kinda sad since it's the one with Forge compatibility. So far I'm really in love with Archimede's ships though, if only he'd make it so you can walk around in flight as per Metaworld or Zeppelin. The big problem with that is apparently calculating collision for multiple players and their ship(s) at once is pretty hard to do.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Wasn't there that haribote/Pyxis thing as well? Smile Though that did crash my game every time I built a ship more than 5 blocks long :/
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Metaworld is dropping forge support, though you can hardly hold that against it. Forge isn't built for engine mods.

But I disagree with the idea that it lacks vision.  it's job is to facilitate blocks moving around and not impose restrictions which keep the player from doing what they want to do.  It does this better than the boat mods.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Metaworld is dropping forge support, though you can hardly hold that against it.  Forge isn't built for engine mods.

But I disagree with the idea that it lacks vision.  it's job is to facilitate blocks moving around and not impose restrictions which keep the player from doing what they want to do.  It does this better than the boat mods.
I never said it lacked vision. Perhaps 'direction' was the wrong word there, but my perspective is that atm it's just a powdertoy. That's what the maker markets it as, and as a result that's what anyone who's browsing through MC mods is going to treat it as. What I'd like to see is him pick an eye-catching theme so it will catch on. Zeppelin wouldn't have gotten as far as it would have had it been named 'InceptionChunks' or something like that.

If I lost you there, my point is MetaWorld is a great tool for making airships, but the dev isn't capitalizing on that to draw more people in.

The only real thing I have with the whole Forge thing is...well, I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft modding lately, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean no multiplayer?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I may or may not have been skimming the discussion.  Sorry for misreading.

But I don't know that marketing it better really benefits the developer.  The quality of the zeppelin thread dropped sharply after it was showcased on the yogscast, and Blackmajik got into a rut after everyone kept demanding multiplayer.
Bigger audience = more pressure = less fun.  As long as he's having fun, everything else will work out.

And why would you need Forge to do multiplayer?  Forge is designed to keep mods from stepping on one another's feet for basic tasks.  What this is going to hurt is compatibility.  If one really wanted Forge, you could still do it by making a lower layer for the mod which forge rests on, instead of making forge the lowest layer.  This would work so long as nobody else has the same idea.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I mean, that's the thing. I can see where you're coming from - more isn't always merrier, but if you don't have people supporting you, there isn't that much motivation to keep going.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Archimedes isn't nearly as good as Copernicus.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 am

Maybe, but then they haven't spent two years on it.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 am

The day it gets released in a playable format is the day a comparison can actually be drawn.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 am

Tiel+ wrote:
The day it gets released in a playable format is the day a comparison can actually be drawn.
How about before releasing Copernicus, we GET THE DAMN PROPER FORUM BACK
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 am

Ask fr0st about that.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 am

NO! DON'T WANNA!
Back to top Go down
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
Saravanth

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am

Some successors to Zeppelin Polls_you_make_bunny_cry_0139_975196_answer_8_xlarge
Bcuz I couldn't find a crying raptor jesus :/
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Tiel+ wrote:
Tiel, I wasn't actually making a comparison. I was joking about the human scientists Archimedes and Copernicus.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Metaworld Dev wrote:
1. The sub-world keeps whatever velocity and rotations speed it had when you released control. However the motion is just controlled by MotionXYZ and Rotation variables in the SubWorld object. So it's easy to make any custom controls which just need to modify these variables. This could also easily be done by mods built on top of this one.
It's intended as a base. Didn't see that before.

Anyone feel like giving it a go?
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 pm

What size craft can this meta world thing produce?

If anyone is up for testing that, I have a schematic of my Tormentor class lying around.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Any size.

And don't worry, it's already been tested on more than three occasions and works fine. The question is refinement, which the creator seems to think will come from third party modders.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Any... Size.....

I must try this, I'll believe that when I see it shift the Tormentor.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm

It's really a question of whether your computer can handle it.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Tiel+ wrote:
Probably not.
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Prototype wrote:
Tiel+ wrote:
Probably not.
http://fraps.com
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 am

The Ships mod figured out collision

Also, the MetaWorlds dev compiled the mod for the vanilla server, but it's not practical yet since it's so easily abused.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some successors to Zeppelin   Some successors to Zeppelin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some successors to Zeppelin
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: