Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Plasma Gas

Go down 
+2
torrentialAberration
Ivan2006
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 am

I thought about something:

We will most certainly have plasma weaponary, plasma tools, etc.
But plasma isn´t just a form of energy, it´s a physical state, meaning that matter is involved.
My idea would be to add gas-planets which are used to farm plasma gas, which would be similar to the Tibanna- gas from Star Wars.
I also thought the gas could be implemented in the form of a liquid, as MC doesn´t support any gas other than air.
With the right configuration, you would even fall through plasma gas like through air. (well, almost)
The gas/liquid would cover the majority of a gas-planet´s surface.

Of course, plasma-based technology would then require plasma gas to operate.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 10:51 am

Gas mining? I already had this idea, though no one seemed too keen on discussion.

D. Gas Mining

I haven't seen anything on the forums about how we will obtain gaseous material needed. We will need oxygen for life support, as fuel for explosives, and atmo-forming; hydrogen for nukes, as fuel for rockets, and fusion reactors; methane or propane for cheap generators and furnaces.

One of my ideas regarding gas mining is that it could work similar to windmills in IndustrialCraft, but instead of creating energy and storing it in batteries, it harvests different gasses over time and stores them in canisters. Some gases would have to be harvested underground in caves and caverns, or even from gas planets if they are included in the mod. Perhaps some areas would have more of a certain gas then others, so the air would be tinted. A cavern deep underground might have a green tint that indicates high levels of propane. If you place a gas mine in this cavern, it will harvest more propane than any other gas.

My idea is that there would be semitransparent blocks that would dissipate in sunlight (unless the planet has a thick atmosphere of a colored gas). The blocks would be tinted according to what that gas was, ex. chlorine would be a yellow color. The gasses would be harvested, placed in canisters, and then used how you wish. Ion cannons, ion drives, and plasma weapons would be loaded with argon or another massive gas.

Here's my neglected idea thread.
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 am

Just take water, Modify it so it spawns in air and has a spread rate of 0 (Doesnt flow at all) and make it so you need a canister or something to pick it up (Cant store gas in a bucket now can we?)
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 pm

_Shadowcat_ wrote:
Just take water, Modify it so it spawns in air and has a spread rate of 0 (Doesnt flow at all) and make it so you need a canister or something to pick it up (Cant store gas in a bucket now can we?)

I was thinking of a more complex way of getting it:

you have to visit a gas planet first, meaning that you need to be able to travell space.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Surp. Grm. Ivan Kintobor wrote:
_Shadowcat_ wrote:

I was thinking of a more complex way of getting it:

you have to visit a gas planet first, meaning that you need to be able to travell space.
Yeah, and have some way to siphon off, from the atmosphere, and filter out what you want for fuel and the like. Massive gas suckers.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Gas planets could be a hugely helpful resource, but you should be able to get gasses from your spawn planet, or any planet with an atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Gas planets could be a hugely helpful resource, but you should be able to get gasses from your spawn planet, or any planet with an atmosphere.
Yeah, but not the same gases.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

In smaller quantities.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

In smaller quantities.
So, from your spawn planet you should be able to get air. This air can be refined into large amounts of nitrogen and small amounts of oxygen. All other elements comprise such a small percentage of the air that you can't get them, or get them in such small amounts that it's not worth it (1% argon, 0.04% CO2, etc). From other terran planets you should get similar things, with the percentages slightly changed. From non-terran planets, you should get other gases or gases that are rare enough on terran planets that it's silly to farm them there.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

In smaller quantities.
So, from your spawn planet you should be able to get air. This air can be refined into large amounts of nitrogen and small amounts of oxygen. All other elements comprise such a small percentage of the air that you can't get them, or get them in such small amounts that it's not worth it (1% argon, 0.04% CO2, etc). From other terran planets you should get similar things, with the percentages slightly changed. From non-terran planets, you should get other gases or gases that are rare enough on terran planets that it's silly to farm them there.

I think it should be more gas specific, but that might not be feasible. We need to come up with a list of possible gasses.

-Hydrogen-Used in fusion reactors and makes zeppelins go BOOM!

-Oxygen-used to make corundum, life support, rockets, etc. Can be transmuted to a liquid for H/O combustion rockets

-Nitrogen-The cobblestone of gasses. SURPLUS EVERYWHERE! used to dilute oxygen in life support systems.

-Chlorine-bio weapons 'n' stuff

-Argon-Used as a common propellent for ion thrusters and plasma weapons

-Xenon-Much rarer than argon, but gives a boost in damage caused by weapons and is more efficient when used in ion thrusters.

-Carbon Dioxide-carbon dioxide.

-Methane/Propane-only occurs on spawnplanets or planets that support life in large amounts. Used in generators, furnaces, foundries, vehicles, rudimentary life support, heating, lanterns, and much, much more! Common underground, near oil[?] pockets.

Last edited by catsonmeth on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Mayhaps a porous stone that can be taken and refined into canisters of various gasses.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:34 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Mayhaps a porous stone that can be taken and refined into canisters of various gasses.

Like how chicken feathers can be used to store hydrogen in greater quantities with less pressure?
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 pm

The air should probably be unlimited, Cause someone (Me) would build a giant air sucking ship and cause everyone to suffocate.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 pm

_Shadowcat_ wrote:
The air should probably be unlimited, Cause someone (Me) would build a giant air sucking ship and cause everyone to suffocate.

How I think it should work: Underground, in caverns and caves and such, there should be blocks of gas .Gas block would have a very slight tint according to the color of the gas. A gas would diffuse to a point (say 100 meters sphere) and stop when it reaches a wall. As it spreads, it gets lighter and lighter until it reaches its limit. if the gas reaches sunlight, it dissipates into generic air blocks.

To mine gas, all you'd have to do is build a machine or item that would gradually harvest the gas and place it into canisters. If a machine is placed in a cloud of gas blocks, it will harvest more of that gas than any other until the gas is completely gone, then it acts as if it is placed in generic air.

In regular air, the mining machine would harvest mostly nitrogen (if you are on your spawnplanet) and oxygen. This would happen slower than if you place the machine in clouds of these gasses. Percentage of the gas harvested depends on elevation. If you put a miner 1000 meters (or whatever will be close to the edge of the atmosphere) above sea level, then it might harvest more hydrogen.

For the mining of gas giants, we'll need larger machinery. Maybe a ship core designated gas miner or something that could position itself in the atmosphere and take in large amounts of gas.

GAS GAS GAS GASSES GAS GAS!
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 am

All good Ideas.
I especially like LJs´ Idea of gas mining.
That´s even better than actual gas-blocks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plasma Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plasma Gas   Plasma Gas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plasma Gas
Page 1 of 1